• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
GameSpot, The Verge, and IGN got hands-on with the Nintendo Switch OLED. More previews will likely follow up. Nintendo didn't allow for video capture or photos, so there's no new footage of the Switch OLED to see, only impressions from the writers.

www.gamespot.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-On: It Isn't The Console's True Successor, And That's Just Fine

We got our first hands-on with the new Nintendo Switch OLED, and while it's not the next big thing, it left me impressed with how much it improved the console.
From my hands-on session--which we unfortunately couldn't capture on video--it was clear that the OLED model helps bridge the gap between the handheld and docked experiences, amping up the experience of playing the Switch as a handheld. I brought my current launch-era Nintendo Switch and PS Vita (which also features an OLED screen) to make side-by-side comparisons. It was evident that the OLED model is a noticeable improvement compared to both devices.

www.theverge.com

Nintendo Switch OLED hands-on: a small upgrade that makes a big difference

It’s not a Switch Pro, but it is very nice.
Overall, I think Nintendo has very slightly improved the overall fit and finish of the hardware. It still feels a little toy-like, but it's a nicer toy with a nicer finish. Whether that will extend to Joy-Con controllers that are less likely to suffer from drift remains to be seen, but I don't think Nintendo has done anything notably different — they're completely compatible with existing controllers, too. So the Nintendo Switch OLED model justifies its existence, but does it justify an upgrade? For most people, the responsible answer is no. The improvements here are not going to unlock new game experiences or capabilities, they just make the current experiences a little nicer. I don't think I'm going to be responsible, though. I knew going in that it was "just" a Switch with a bigger, brighter screen. I know after playing it that handheld mode feels like much less of a compromise than it does today.

www.ign.com

Nintendo Switch OLED Hands-on: We Compared It to the Original - IGN

The latest Nintendo Switch model is a no-brainer for newcomers, but more nuanced as an upgrade.
The strength of the new display (unsurprisingly) becomes even more obvious when turned on, immediately shining bright and clear from pretty much any viewing angle I tried. Honestly, it's not an exaggeration to liken its vibrance to when the Gameboy Advance SP got an updated model with a far brighter screen, making the original Switch look noticeably dimmer if compared directly. Its colors are richer too, and I'm not kidding when I say Breath of the Wild's grassy fields looked almost cartoonishly green viewed side-by-side.

Pretty much what was expected! I'm not in a hurry that it's there, but I'm glad it's an option for people.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a switch pro unless the upscaling of resolution and textures is done on the fly, IMO. I don't see Nintendo going back tweeking old games. Adding the Oled was the right call to have a better presentation without much else needed on the software side.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Vita 2.0 is sounding good! Prolly gonna wait for the next switch before I upgrade though.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait! I do 80% of my Switch gaming handheld, so this is a no-brainer for me.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The no brainer for new comer comment from IGN isn't the smartest. It's 50 USD more expensive. Yes if it were the same price then sure.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I'm still on the fence with this one. My Switch is starting to show it's age, and the OLED screen looks great, but the price tag. C'mon man smh.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'd buy one if it was $299. Not going to buy now on principle. Oled was on the Vita, it's not like it's some breakthrough that requires a price hike. The base model should have been $250 for at least a year now. Or throw in a Nintendo game, you cheap bastards.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There won't be a switch pro unless the upscaling of resolution and textures is done on the fly, IMO. I don't see Nintendo going back tweeking old games. Adding the Oled was the right call to have a better presentation without much else needed on the software side.

They just added online to a 3 year old game earlier this year. Plus BotW and Odyssey both got VR modes added years after they launched.

They've been extremely willing to patch old games many times on Switch, I'm unsure where this idea that they won't do that on a better performance model comes from.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Dang, I just can't see myself getting this model, I'm a sucker for hardware revisions too but I just have no interest in a model with a better screen and no spec bumps.

it would be an easy choice for a first time buyer though who's planning on mostly handheld gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy one if it was $299. Not going to buy now on principle. Oled was on the Vita, it's not like it's some breakthrough that requires a price hike. The base model should have been $250 for at least a year now. Oh throw in a Nintendo game, you cheap bastards.
26m switch sales last year. They aren't lowering the price yet.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
GameSpot saying that it helped to bridge the gap between portable and docked. Bunch of nonsense, but oh well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The no brainer for new comer comment from IGN isn't the smartest. It's 50 USD more expensive. Yes if it were the same price then sure.
50 bucks is worth it for the screen and double the storage. i don't think i'd get this model since my switch is still working well but for anyone looking to buy a switch now it'd be hard to recommend the original, unless 50 bucks is a big deal for them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's got double the storage space, better audio and a far better screen. I'm gonna have to say for 50 USD that's pretty worth it.
The storage space being doubled isn't that impressive when it's still very small and anyone wanting to play a significant amount of digital games is still going to want to get an SD card anyways. Better audio and screen are also only relevant for handheld players, and not everyone cares that much about that stuff in the first place

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Why is it a no-brainer for newcomers if I plan to play on TV anyway. Sigh

I mean, switch overall is not a fantastic value proposition if you're only planning to play on a TV. It's a portable gaming device. All of it's distinctive hardware features revolve around being a portable game system. All of it's major drawbacks are tied to being a portable game system.

I honestly don't see why someone would want one outside of the handful of nintendo exclusives, if you aren't going to use portable mode.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
it was clear that the OLED model helps bridge the gap between the handheld and docked experiences
I don't get this. I play docked for two reasons:
  • because I hate having my hands linked to the screen I'm watching, much more comfortable on a couch with a pro controller.
  • increased performance because every bit helps

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
26m switch sales last year. They aren't lowering the price yet.
I get why they aren't, from a strict business perspective. Demand indicates they don't need to. But not doing so also means that they are charging a premium for this Switch.

My guess is it will sell gangbusters but, I'd love if it didn't honestly. At $299 I think many Switch owners would upgrade. At $350, especially since we're now in next gen, I think it might be off putting to the mass market but we'll see.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Switch dock has also been tweaked slightly, with many of the sharp edges that gave it a bad wrap for scratching screens near launch now safely rounded over.

Neat!

Also, them saying it looks better than VITA Screen is encouraging...right?

Also, I saw people wondering if it was Pentile...and...maybe not...?

To get really nerdy: I don't have a definitive answer to whether the OLED screen uses a Pentile or RGB layout at the sub-pixel level, but it looks like RGB to me. At 7 inches diagonal, my sense is that Pentile would be obvious even to people who aren't normally annoyed by it (like me). Photos weren't allowed at the briefing, so I can't show you a close-up image of the screen.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
The storage space being doubled isn't that impressive when it's still very small and anyone wanting to play a significant amount of digital games is still going to want to get an SD card anyways. Better audio and screen are also only relevant for handheld players, and not everyone cares that much about that stuff in the first place

'these features don't add value because I won't use them' is super irrelevant lol. They are still present, and they are still of value, just not to you.

Oct 27, 2017
They just added online to a 3 year old game earlier this year. Plus BotW and Odyssey both got VR modes added years after they launched.

They've been extremely willing to patch old games many times on Switch, I'm unsure where this idea that they won't do that on a better performance model comes from.

The Mario and Zelda VR weren't that well received. You've seen these 3d mario collection from late last year and the Zelda release next week right? I don't see them going in and manually updating their first party catalog unless alot of it can be done at a hardware level.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
50 bucks is worth it for the screen and double the storage. i don't think i'd get this model since my switch is still working well but for anyone looking to buy a switch now it'd be hard to recommend the original, unless 50 bucks is a big deal for them.

I'd bet money that the new Switch costs them either the same or less to produce, and this is just a way for them to increase the price to capitalise on demand, and allows them to do a nice and neat price drop in 6 months to get another round through the press cycle.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really justify purchasing one of these over my current Switch. However, if I was a first time Switch buyer I'd certainly pick this over the standard.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Exactly. a superior screen and double the storage isn't nothing. I mean I don't know if it's objectively worth 50 dollars more but it probably is? It's not even the only feature that's been upgraded so yah

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I mean, switch overall is not a fantastic value proposition if you're only planning to play on a TV. It's a portable gaming device. All of it's distinctive hardware features revolve around being a portable game system. All of it's major drawbacks are tied to being a portable game system.

I honestly don't see why someone would want one outside of the handful of nintendo exclusives, if you aren't going to use portable mode.
You said it : exclusives.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
GameSpot saying that it helped to bridge the gap between portable and handheld. Bunch of nonsense, but oh well.

you cant read?

"From my hands-on session--which we unfortunately couldn't capture on video--it was clear that the OLED model helps bridge the gap between the handheld and docked experiences"

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet money that the new Switch costs them either the same or less to produce, and this is just a way for them to increase the price to capitalise on demand, and allows them to do a nice and neat price drop in 6 months to get another round through the press cycle.
oh for sure, i'm sure if they wanted they could drop the price on the OG switch a while ago and still make money off it, and this model would be profitable even if it was cheaper. i'm just saying compared to the model that they're selling for 300 bucks.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
If I didn't have the Animal Crossing edition Switch, I would sell and upgrade. But I want to keep this and don't need 2 Switches.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GameSpot saying that it helped to bridge the gap between portable and handheld. Bunch of nonsense, but oh well.
Who knew that extra 0.8" of screen would be that important.

Still pretty disappointed. The PS4pro and XB1X showed that there's a market for upgraded consoles and that they don't need to split or cannibalize the existing user base. We're four and a half years into the Switch at this point; it's past due.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Maybe its just me but i think some of the articles are right.. everything about this seems like they built a shell for an upgraded SOC and at the last moment, went with an OLED upgrade only.

I wonder what the HDMI spec is on the dock. The original can only do 1080p 60

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You said it : exclusives.
Exactly. The only reason I own a Switch. botw is easily my favorite game in recent memory. While a hybrid console is neat, as somebody that does not do much portable gaming, it's just not for me. I will say though that it's nice taking camping.

All that said, if this was $299 I'd sell my current Switch now and upgrade. I guess it depends on how long it is before Switch 2, but, if that comes out within 2 years there's a good chance I'll never own this version, even used.

Anyway, more power to y'all that are exited about this.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing groundbreaking or anything but previews seems positive enough so that's nice.

Double the storage, much better and bigger screen, better kickstand, dock with ethernet port (I also think it looks better) so there's certainly enough improvements for Nintendo to increase the price. I'm sure they will phase out the OG over time, lower the price of OLED one to 299$ and replace the Oled with another better (slightly?) model in the future as the endgame of Switch before we see Switch 2 some time down the road.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'm curious if the new storage is faster.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Maybe its just me but i think some of the articles are right.. everything about this seems like they built a shell for an upgraded SOC and at the last moment, went with an OLED upgrade only.

I wonder what the HDMI spec is on the dock. The original can only do 1080p 60
It seems to be the exact same according to the official Nintendo site. I've always hoped for HDR at least (OG Switch could do it as well), that'd look especially great on that new OLED screen but well... I was also expecting folders and see where we are almost 4.5 years later. You really hate to like Nintendo sometimes.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Mario and Zelda VR weren't that well received. You've seen these 3d mario collection from late last year and the Zelda release next week right? I don't see them going in and manually updating their first party catalog unless alot of it can be done at a hardware level.

How they were received is entirely irrelevant. They've been updating their old games quite a bit. Including a new CPU boost loading mode for BotW.

Also I have no idea what you're referring to when you talk about the 3D Mario collection or Skyward Sword here.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"brb using imagination because no pics"-ass embargo

it sounds like it's nice but... really, i just want to see it compared extensively to the existing model in photos and video

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Even if Nintendo doesn't go full throttle with 4K and whatnot in the next switch, I hope they do at least go for HDR.

HDR OLED on the handheld and hdmi for the "Pro" would be great imo. Nintendo games in HDR would be a sight to behold

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Sounds great, looking forward to playing this thing in bed. 🤩

Still not decided if I take white or neon (I think white will quickly become boring and I love my current neon), but luckily I could pre-order both and will decide shortly before launch.