• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_the_ultimate_all-in-one_retro_emulation_box

The classic-gaming-as-viable-business landscape looks wildly different from its form a decade ago. Where retrogaming fans once had to make do with Nintendo's haphazard Virtual Console release schedule and an occasional dribble of retro compilations, today we have something approaching an embarrassment of riches: Mini-arcade cabinets of all sizes; Arcade Archives; a revival of massive anthologies produced to higher standards than in previous generations; brand-new games for vintage consoles; and painstakingly recreated high-end facsimiles of the old machines themselves. Whether you want to throw together a cheap piracy box to play ill-gotten NES ROMs or construct a bespoke retro corner of original hardware adapted to run on modern televisions, the business of old games has become nearly as lively a facet of the industry as making new ones.

sega saturn die hard

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I have high hopes for it. Between them and analogue, I feel like we may not need retro hardware for true retro experiences.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Since I can't get Die Hard Arcade to run on my RPi3, I'm certainly listening...

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why on earth would anyone buy custom hardware that is just using open source emulators that are widely available for PC. At least Mini consoles from Nintendo/Sega/Sony are cheap, come in a nostalgia-massaging design, and include a bunch of games.

Mister seems like a much better option, or Analogue's devices, or original hardware, or a PC.

I don't understand what this is offering over one of the many better solutions.

How much is this all going to cost? Especially for the console specific modules?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Why on earth would anyone buy custom hardware that is just using open source emulators that are widely available for PC. At least Mini consoles from Nintendo/Sega/Sony are cheap, come in a nostalgia-massaging design, and include a bunch of games.

Well the biggest thing I can see is that any given module is going to support original input methods and have appropriate cartridge slots where necessary. Even something like the Retrode starts getting pretty byzantine when you want to go beyond the built-in SNES and Genesis ports

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
This is awesome, I'll be keeping an eye on where this goes. I have a Retron 5 but it's not super reliable, would love to just have this under the TV in its place. Little bit of a shame the portables aren't compatible though.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Mister seems like a much better option, or Analogue's devices, or original hardware, or a PC.

How much is this all going to cost? Especially for the console specific modules?

It also let you rip your games unlike all of the ones you mentioned. That's the big attraction to many as if you legally want to dump your games you will need to buy several parts and adapters to do so. The KS version was US 250$ for the main box so it will probably be really expensive for every add ons.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Like Jeremy, I'm a bit too deep into the real hardware on a pvm situation, but more options to promote retro gaming is great. Although I'd prefer picking up and of the FPGA consoles when the analog converter is released.

Getting upset at the idea that some people dare to use downloaded roms will always be one of the funniest takes on this website.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It also let you rip your games unlike all of the ones you mentioned. That's the big attraction to many as if you legally want to dump your games you will need to buy several parts and adapters to do so. The KS version was US 250$ for the main box so it will probably be really expensive for every add ons.
You can dump roms with Analogue's FPGA systems.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

People will pay for convenience and aesthetics. It's a sleek, attractive system that aims to cover a lot of use cases right out of the box.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What would you say is the best alternative? Is there a more convenient/sleek option available?
Alternative to what? This just seems like a solution in need of a problem. I think Mister/Analogue's devices/original hardware/Emulating on a PC/licensed mini consoles all provide far better combinations of features/functionality.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Oh, hi. Just for the record, "ultimate emulation box" was not my headline. The published headline kinda sets a tone I didn't intend.
hope it runs imports so i can get some saturn macross and gundam for this
As mentioned in the article, I demoed Shadow Over Mystara, so....
Any report on the input lag ?
Not enough to distract me, and input lag is something that really bugs me.
Alternative to what? This just seems like a solution in need of a problem. I think Mister/Analogue's devices/original hardware/Emulating on a PC/licensed mini consoles all provide far better combinations of features/functionality.
MiSTer is awesome, but it's the opposite of a plug-and-play solution, and it doesn't do 32-bit systems. We're a long ways away from FPGA solutions for PS1 and Saturn being realistic or affordable, so emulation boxes are the way to go for now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
MiSTer is awesome, but it's the opposite of a plug-and-play solution, and it doesn't do 32-bit systems. We're a long ways away from FPGA solutions for PS1 and Saturn being realistic or affordable, so emulation boxes are the way to go for now.
And the emulation experience for PS1/Saturn is going to be way better on any half decent regular PC. Plus it'll support Dolphin and many other emulators. Or original hardware is cheap and readily available. I don't see what this underpowered PC offers in terms of emulation that other solutions aren't better for.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Mister doesn't do cartridges or discs. Analogue's devices cover one console each. Original hardware has a slew of issues/difficulties. Emulating on a PC is complex to set up and doesn't do cartridges. Licensed mini consoles only cover one console each and don't support cartridges or discs.

Do you really not see the appeal of a single device that covers a wide range of consoles, supports discs, carts and original controllers and doesn't require a complex setup process? Sure, switching modules might be a bit of a pain, but in terms of an "all in one" solution, I'd say it's unmatched.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Emulation accuracy is still going to be an issue. Even Kega Fusion has issues with certain games.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro gaming takes up 95% of my game time these days, but I'm not so interested in accuracy anymore.

I prefer uprezzing and run ahead for better-than-original latency and rewind.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Retro gaming takes up 95% of my game time these days, but I'm not so interested in accuracy anymore.

I prefer uprezzing and run ahead for better-than-original latency and rewind.
For me, if accuracy isn't an option, I'd rather they just rewrite the code to natively support the platform it is in (M2 style), and perhaps do an enhanced remake instead.

Nov 23, 2017

Most people don't connect their PC to their TV

But I do agree somewhat, personally Id prefer a FPGA Saturn/NGCD

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're letting people like Jeremy finally look at this thing. I guess a lot of people moved on after the no FPGA announcement, but I'm still really interested and was actually worried about the smoke and mirrors vibe this thing began to emit.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Given how many times these guys have moved their own goalposts, I would *not* recommend giving them your preorder cash.

Wait and see what they actually deliver.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, and that's why I love playing my Rhea-modded Saturn on a PVM. But that's not exactly a realistic option for, like, an actual, normal human being.
I can see this being a great option for people starting out on owning a retro collection, or for people who move a lot and can't afford the space for a physical game library. The back-up feature is certainly a nice plus.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Most people don't connect their PC to their TV

But I do agree somewhat, personally Id prefer a FPGA Saturn/NGCD

An FPGA NGCD is probably pretty feasible (and since the Universe BIOS runs on NGCD I would suspect that it could be an all-in-one with AES/MVS cartridge support), but I wouldn't expect a decent Saturn FPGA clone any time within the next decade. Not that I wouldn't want one, especially if it could be configured to have SCD/Gen/32X compatibility given that you'd basically be building a superset of that hardware in the process anyway...

If there are two things I'd want from a theoretical Saturn replica, it would be the ability to run mesh textures as actual translucencies (SSF supports this, at least) and the ability to (of course) render games at a higher resolution than default.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
iirc, preorders are opening back up in May.

Seriously considering one for my PS1 & Saturn collection, and possibly dabble in some Neo CD.

Preorders, IMO, are opening back up because they've burned through the past crowdfunding/order money.

Buyer beware. This is not confidence inspiring.

I'm not saying they won't deliver but I wouldn't give them money up front.

Part ends at 19:23

Just wanted to put this here to be sure everyone had an equal chance to hear another take on this system.

His perspective does NOT indicate that it won't function as you desire or that it will be a poor product, but he has some pertinent experiences that hopefully will inform all prospective buyers of what they might be getting into beforehand.

Please do stay informed.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Part ends at 19:23

Just wanted to put this here to be sure everyone had an equal chance to hear another take on this system.

His perspective does NOT indicate that it won't function as you desire or that it will be a poor product, but he has some pertinent experiences that hopefully will inform all prospective buyers of what they might be getting into beforehand.

Please do stay informed.

Yeah, Bob agrees with 100% of what I'm saying.

Don't preorder. Don't fall into FOMO. This is not a proven quantity, and the fact that they are asking for another round of funding is not confidence building.

That's what 'additional preorders' are. They are another round of funding.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
yeah I skipped over that first preorder round because at that time they had showed next to nothing, but now they are finally being a little more open and it all seems promising, but still doesn't make much sense to preorder.

Am hoping for the best because I would love for it to be all the say it is and would buy one if it is, but I'm in no real rush to jump in first.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Don't see a polymega thread, but seems they are now offering a lightgun option that works on HDTV's and works across all games for any system