• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It's 5th March in Japan which means it's now been ten years since Capcom's Resident Evil 5 first went on sale.

Happy anniversary to a fantastic game!

RHlhLO.jpg

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, right on! Hard to believe it's been a decade since this amazing game released.

Happy Birthday, Resident Evil 5. What can be said about you?
  • You still look good, even today
  • You're the best co-op TPS ever made
  • You introduced the big, buff, awesome Roger Craig Smith version of Chris Redfield we all love
  • Your production values and sheer polish are impressive
  • Sheva is an awesome character that catches undue flak because of poor AI programming
  • Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and The Mercenaries Reunion are excellent DLCs
  • Despite some design shortcomings, you're still super fun to play in general

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was planning on making this thread and totally forgot the JPN release was earlier than the west's lol.

Regardless, RE5 is still my favorite all-time RE game and is everything I wanted from in a sequel to RE4. Mainly since it took to prior lore and moved forward with it. Rather than being a soft reboot like RE4 was. While the co-op is divisive to some, I've played the game many times with new people and even some of the same ones and had a blast every-time I have. It's the only game that I can say i've spent 300+ hours on playing across all versions of it.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Already 10 years? Damn! Played it through 3 times back when it released with three diffrent friends every playthrough. So much fun!
I bought it recently on PS4. Have yet to start playing it. How is it to play in single player?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Great game. A little fumbly but fun co-op experience and some of the best visuals of the 360/PS3 generation.

Crank it up to 1080p and 60 FPS and it holds up really well even today.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was my first RE! Great game and had so many fond memories of co-op in it. Also RE5 Chris and Wesker are fucking iconic.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
The best rock punching simulator out there! Absolutely loved the co op for this game and also when the ps move version released i enjoyed the precision aiming

xXJonoXx

Jun 17, 2018
Been playing the PS3/PS4/Vita since the day each launched, still the only game on PSN I actually took the time to platinum so far. Cheers, RE5.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Least favorite in the series and it left a poor taste in my mouth 10 years ago. The only RE game I never bothered to go back to. That being said, perhaps I should give it another run to see if I would appreciate it a bit more with a new lens.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of not playing this on release, and only ended up playing it when it was on PS Plus. I loved it then and I love it now. Ridiculous fun. Best rock punching ever.
1d4bdbadc83512e51cf1aeb6d8f9a36b.gif
Best Chris
Best music
Best Wesker
Sheva is great
Complete global saturation
All of this, especially in bold, is true.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Even though I leaned just a bit more to Leon than Chris, it was good to see him again, and reinvigorated to the strong boulder puncher we know him for today. Wesker was amazing, too, and Sheva ended up being one of my new favorite characters in the saga. Please, Capcom, bring our gurl back!

I hope we get another one like this, some day. Even a Rev3 that had better production values and more satisfying hits would already be a fine start.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always remember thinking the demo they used to show the light transition from dark to bright and being blown away by it

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday RE5.

It's simply a fantastic game and the best RE. Capcom will never top chapters 5 and 6 for me.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Mercenaries reunion is the must fun I've had with any mini game in the series. It's also the game where the hydra was born, such a dumb weapon, but after it no shotgun has been as fun to use in the series.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not as great as RE4 in terms of story and location, but I had a great time with it. I also felt mercenaries mode was at its best here, still feels good to go back to even to this day.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The greatest coop shooter ever made. One of the best action games ever made. The best RE story starring the best RE character, Wesker. This is a classic, not RE4 level but nothing is.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is one of my favorite Resident Evils and its 95% due to how fantastic The Mercenaries is in this game. I'm still waiting on an HD version of Mercs 3D with these graphics, gameplay and specific controls.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I think it's still one of the best looking games out there. The style and the quality of the art here are still the best around, only the tech has aged a bit.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I played the demo so many time, that was the hypest shit ever.

One of my favorite memories is getting the demo early. On 360 you could download the demo files, burn to a disc, and run them on any 360 with no need for modification. Since Japan got the demo earlier than the rest of the world, I was all over playing this.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Probably the most replayable non-RE4 RE due to the way it's structured and how rewarding its upgrade system/ progression loop is. Also fun af in coop

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Since I like gushing about RE5, I have to say that the game has one of the best trophy lists ever (DLC withstanding). It's a very fun plat to get and not hard (But still takes effort). When I think of a game with a good trophy list, I always think of RE5.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I just remember a brilliant hammy performance by DC Douglas, Sheva running into chainsaws and racist stuff like being chased by tribsmen with cloths and throwing spears.

OP
OP
lowlifelenny

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
2009... I'll never forget it. I was so excited I was going to the door every ten minutes to check if it had been delivered. The idea that I was finally going to play a next gen sequel to RE4 was just absolutely mindblowing, especially since I'd carefully gone out of my way to avoid media and spoilers. When it finally came and I popped the disc in and started installing it- I think that might have been the longest fifteen minutes of my life.

In a lot of ways, it's as good as RE4, and in some ways even better, even if the entire package isn't quite as flawless as RE4's is. Still, incredible game.

• You still look good, even today
  • You're the best co-op TPS ever made
  • You introduced the big, buff, awesome Roger Craig Smith version of Chris Redfield we all love
  • Your production values and sheer polish are impressive
  • Sheva is an awesome character that catches undue flak because of poor AI programming
  • Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and The Mercenaries Reunion are excellent DLCs
  • Despite some design shortcomings, you're still super fun to play in general

Cannot disagree with any of this. Especially the visuals- they really went to town on it at the time and it shouldn't have any right looking as good as it does ten years on.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
This game grows on me more every time I play it (which has been quite a bit since it released). It went from being a disappointing follow up to my favorite game ever, to what I know recognize as the greatest coop campaign ever, a spectacularly polished spectacle, and a fun remix of 4's mechanics in its own right. It's still not my preferred direction for the series, but I'm glad it exists and I'll probably continue to have a lot of fun with it for the next 10 years.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Hey CapCom, wheres my girl Sheva????

DapperHospitableClingfish-small.gif

Back in the day i remember thinking "she is so beautiful that it hurts"
PD: She still is

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Some of the most co-op fun I've ever had. My buddy and I find ourselves returning to it nearly every year. It's dumb but my favorite moments came from the silliness in the mechanics like letting your buddy die to a quicktime prompt, dropping the extendable bridge on your partner while they cross, or just spamming COME ON COME ON COME ON GO GO GO over and over. (For the record I only did this with my friend I didn't play this with strangers)

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Wayyyyy better than RE6. Come at me.
I disagree. RE5 is great, but it was very much a refresh of RE4 except shorter in length. It played it super safe to the point of fault. Still a solid experience and a blast to play in co-op, but I appreciate 6 more for breaking out of the mold and expanding its content and controls.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
i really enjoyed 5 and consider it one of the better RE games. Never understood the hate it got besides maybe being more action focused, but it started with 4 and people love that entry. It also has my favorite version of Chris :D

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
My third favorite Resident Evil game and my favorite Mercenaries mode. It probably is my most played RE title, I've seen hours on Mercenaries trying to get a top spot on the leaderboard with Battlesuit Jill.

Still mad Jill didn't kill Wesker too.

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The final Wesker battle is just legendary and one of the best boss fights in video gaming history.

While maybe overall not quite as good as RE4 it is still a damn fine RE game!