• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

10 years ago today, Double Fine's second game, Brütal Legend was released.

Starting Jack Black, Lemmy, Ozzy Ousbourne, Lita Halford and Rob Halford, it's a great combo of action and strategy. Still worth looking into, for those who have yet to play it.

Gamesradar also just now published an interview with Tim Schafer, where he looks back on the game.

And it's on sale right now, of course.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Fun game that felt truly unique. And it was dumped on because of it. People wanted something familiar.

The multiplayer was surprisingly cool too.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this after release, fully aware of what it was, kicked ass. What a great game, with so much love for heavy metal poured into it. RTS elements, while surprising when the game came out, were pretty fun when I was fully expecting them. And that soundtrack! My goodness.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a classic metal and Tim Schafer fan, this game appealed to me. I didn't even mind that it was way more of an RTS than advertised. Neat game overall but I don't have a desire to replay it.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are no words for the art direction in this game and how it incorporates metal's visual motifs all over, it is so well done. I wanna say almost unrivaled.

Gameplay is fun, writing is funny, story is classic but captivating, soundtrack is godlike.

Replayed it not too long ago and it's a classic.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
While I struggled with the different gameplay mechanics, I truly love exploring this world.

I also love how some of the high profile musicians played deity-tier roles in the game, but are some of the chillest mother fuckers about.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games. The rts parts were not the best but the world exploration, characters, music and story were top notch. Its a deeply flawed game with heart and i like it so much.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A love letter to metal music that will probably never be matched, let alone topped. Jack Black was the perfect choice for the game too. Had a lot of fun with the game, despite its (minor) faults

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
WarmBrokenAndeancondor-size_restricted.gif

Such a creative open world to explore and fun aesthetic to soak in. I don't even listen to metal often but they nailed exactly what they were going for, it's album art and over the top lyrics come to life. The cliques and NPC portrayals within the lore are inspired, the gamplay is varied and interesting and the humor is on point. I've got a replay save about 15 hours in, good excuse as any to hop back in the Deuce for a bit to see the sights.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked the game but it was to short (it ends abruptly without warning) and EA sold it as a open world god of war with a metal theme.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
got it for free on twitch prime some time ago. i should check it out, helps that i've been on a metal kick lately

everybody was so incensed over the RTS stuff back then i just shrugged and forgot about it

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What I like most about this game is its Metal setting.
Set the game to easy and go on a romp of Metal Messiah-ness as Jack Black across the most Metal world to ever grace a video game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most imaginative games of that era. Even when I was mixed on how good the actual mechanics were and if the multiplayer was really that good, the single player experience was one I replayed multiple times. Game also got me into a few artists like KMFDM.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Put it down after failing one of the RTS segments and never played it again. Amazing and confusing how they forced that into a fairly enjoyable action/adventure romp.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
This game was pretty unique. I do remember having quite good fun with this one, and Jack Black killed his role.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Put it down after failing one of the RTS segments and never played it again. Amazing and confusing how they forced that into a fairly enjoyable action/adventure romp.

The RTS parts were part of the base concept for the game, according to the devs in documentaries made years ago. It's ok to not like those parts, but they weren't forced into anything.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really liked everything about the game but the RTS sections felt so out of place

painey

Oct 27, 2017
The RTS parts were part of the base concept for the game, according to the devs in documentaries made years ago. It's ok to not like those parts, but they weren't forced into anything.
Just because they were planned doesn't mean they aren't forced in. They don't fit in and they don't belong, and have ruined the game for a great many people.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just because they were planned doesn't mean they aren't forced in. They don't fit in and they don't belong, and have ruined the game for a great many people.

If you have a part that's the core concept for the game, then it's more the other things that are forced in, and don't belong, rather then the opposite.

If it ruined the game for you, then it really just wasn't a game for you.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely recall some backlash regarding this game where the advertisements for it didn't paint it as an RTS or something? Am I remembering wrong?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's a weird game, in the middle of the story it turns into a badly designed real time strategy game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game on launch and loved it. The constant ragging the game gets for daring to not be a basic hack & slash for 15 hours is embarrassing. Probably the most intuitive and simple yet satisfying RTS on a console.

Wouldn't be interested in a remaster or anything personally. Game came out at the right time for me.