• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Eo1Qkk2WMAEqO0W.jpg

Super_Slim_PS3_35454664_35454666_35454667_35454668_18.jpg

ClassicEducatedFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

What was your favourite game, feature, moment, thing about this console and its generation?

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my working launch 60gb ps3. Ended up being a great system. Uncharted was born here. Good times.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the first time I picked up a Sixaxis controller. It felt like a surprisingly empty milk carton.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Mine was still hooked up until this year. Working fine (other than making a clicking noise every 5 seconds when reading a disk), but it was time to say goodbye.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
15 already?
I remember skipping school to follow a friend that was going to buy one at launch only to see what it was like, got busted by school immediately.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
15 years, fucking hell. Remember it like it was yesterday. I pre ordered it at Kmart Australia before they stopped doing video games. The reason I got it there was you could get a game for free with the system and I got Resistance. (which cost $1000 AUD FFS, but I got one because my 360 RROD'd and I swapped and sold it so I could get a PS3).
My first serious GF who was living interstate had just left after I fired up the Super Rub a Dub demo (and commented on how cute it was) and I had the night to myself and needed something to fill the void and I play Resistance all night.
The graphics didn't impress me too much coming from 360, was just more of the same, but fuck I loved that thing.
Still do love the design of the original PS3, at least the look, I know it as just as notorious as 360 for dying. Which is why I sold it and upgraded to a slim as soon as possible.
A magical time in life. Im still surprised I could afford a $1000 gaming console at 15 years old. I saved really hard with my first job lol.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Playing Little Big Planet 1 and 2 on that chunky boi are some of my fondest gaming memories

Oct 25, 2017
I have a fat PS3 on the shelf for since they disconnected it. At least I played some great games like Valkyrie Chronciles, Folklore, MGS4, etc

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the first time I picked up a Sixaxis controller. It felt like a surprisingly empty milk carton.
The Sixaxis was so ass. The only cool thing about it was the subtle transparency body.

But overall, loved my PS3, had loads of great times with it. I'm still planning on going back to play some older titles once I figure out how to reassemble the DualShock 3... What a pain.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, 15 years? I vividly remember the day I got mine. As long as the current backwards compatibility issue exists with it, I will hold on to it forever. Still going through Puppeteer. And may get a chance to check out that custom Warhawk server this weekend.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get one at launch but I remember reading all of the stories about mob scenes at stores to get a PS5 when a lot of them had like 5 in stock.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I still swap it out with my PS4 to play games. Fantastic console from a generation that defined video games for me at one point and at times still does.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favourite console honestly. I have so many good memories from my original Phat version. Did me proud and only died a month before my PS4 arrived.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday!

You were the worst PlayStation but in many ways the best PlayStation.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
warhawkgif.gif

4dc80f5cd29c8895f272ba1645e106c44d39d7c3r1-500-350_00.gif

tools-of-destruction-ratchet-and-clank.gif

QuickAliveBasenji-max-1mb.gif

stardust6.jpg

Happy birthday PS3! In the first year we got these amazing titles, but oh boy was it a struggle for the company at first. Glad they really put their heads together and turned things around.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So many good memories, and bad ones. Great system overall.

Most of my favourite games have been ported already but I'm still hoping for a port of Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Came out the same year as Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, and inFamous and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Damn 2009 was a good year.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Probably the best console I ever owned. The blockbuster titles just kept coming and coming.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
The best home console ever made. LBP, Resistance, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, Infamous, Motorstorm… what am I forgetting?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the PS OT, it's an interesting console for Sony because on one hand it nearly brought PS to its knees, but on the other it's what made PS into the monster it is today.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I only bought one about 4 years ago to catch up on some JRPGs and such and it's served me very well for that purpose. The controllers I bought used with it have also held up way better than any of my DS4s lol. I managed to get an early model with PS2 compatibility for a steal because someone on eBay assumed it was broken (just needed a new power cable). It is pretty loud though and every time I turn it on I assume it'll be the last time it works.

Jun 24, 2021
That reminds me I have a Launch BC unit in my basement somewhere a friend gave to me years ago...are those worth anything?
I mean only if it works! I had a phat 60GB launch PS3, one of those that were still backwards compatible with PS2, but it yellow light of death-ed on me circa 2010 as it was common on those models.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Running Yellow Dog Linux (lmao) on my PS3 felt so cool on my original BC unit, I was also a CS student at the time.

Warhawk was incredible, and probably my most played game on the system, but the most memorable and biggest shift in the way I thought about games since I was a kid was importing demon's souls and experiencing an rpg that spoke to me and simultaneously solved so many of the issues id been having with other pillars of the generation. At the time I was concerned it would be an oddity with no follow up, very funny to think about that now and we've reached the other end of the spectrum where the number of souls likes and its effects on the industry are so pronounced it's a bit absurd.

I often think about the system as this oddball technical marvel and an odd disappointment. Don't get me wrong, a fantastic gen for great software, but gran turismo; really disappointing, mgs4 was interesting and played well but ultimately not great due to an odd structure convoluted narrative, bad writing, bad direction. one of the worst movies I've seen, ffxiii was OK but not something I could really get behind, gta4 felt like a step back in many ways. A chunk of the big titles I looked forward to on the system just didn't really work for me, I enjoyed them all, but it's the gen that really made me start to think that the push for graphical fidelity and engaging story's trying to adapt a filmic structure was coming at the expense of making good games (an issue that persists, but a lot of it also came down to teething issues with new expectations and tech). mission structure was becoming more restrictive for story, world's were pretty but hollower. I ended up mostly switching to 360 later in the gen, playing that and wii mostly but I've recently started emulating PS3 instead of using my old unit and I still have so much love for this system. A truly great system in a landmark generation.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
The emotion drive was fried when I got a YLoD but I still hold on to my launch console for modding. One thing that always stood out was just how many great AA titles there were that gen. I usually knew I was in for something good if I was rummaging through the PS3 section in any of my local used game shops.

It's wild to think how much demand has increased for PS3 games. I still remember picking up a PS3 version of a game because it often cheaper and in less demand than the 360 version.
Obviously that would change if the game was out of print and you had fewer copies out in the wild, but for ages a PS3 port of El Shaddai and Lollipop Chainsaw was way more affordable than the alternative.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I only bought one about 4 years ago to catch up on some JRPGs and such and it's served me very well for that purpose. The controllers I bought used with it have also held up way better than any of my DS4s lol. I managed to get an early model with PS2 compatibility for a steal because someone on eBay assumed it was broken (just needed a new power cable). It is pretty loud though and every time I turn it on I assume it'll be the last time it works.
Most likely alot of dust and the thermal paste need to be replaced. I think all phat and slim model need to have its thermal paste and harddrive replaced at this point.

Jul 1, 2020
Happy birthday to the PlayStation that plays the most games at least in the earlier variations. The PS3 had some fantastic games that we will probably never see again.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
It was a rollercoaster of emotions for me in the lead up to launch - had a JP system preordered with Lik Sang (RIP), resigned myself to waiting for the PAL launch in March of the next year when Sony sued them out of existence and then checked eBay on the day of Japanese launch and couldn't resist paying over the odds for a 60GB model with Ridge Racer 7.

No regrets, honestly it felt worth paying that much when I opened the box. Looked years ahead of its time.