• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Released on october 30 1987 in Japan.

PC_Engine.jpg

Hats off to an incredible console that had a terrible fate outside Japan. It is a shame that everything about Turbo/PCE is "hardcore/underground" these days. Almost everyone pre-25 years old knows this machine just because of Castlevania Rondo of Blood... well, it's something because is still an excellent game.

So many classic and quality games, also the CD add-on still has some of the best fourth console generation titles.

My favorite games:

Drac_x1.png

Castlevania Rondo of Blood (of course)

bonksrevenge.png

Bonk's Revenge

latest

Gradius II (the exclusive stage is awesome, still worth every penny as a port)

2693997-kaizouchoujinshubibinmaniii+%2831%29.png

Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 3 (very short but awesome)

149902-Rayxanber_3_(NTSC-J)-1459427804.jpg

Rayxanber 3

retro-45141-41339605404.png

L-Dis (Don't know why is so obscure, is one of my favorite shooters on PCE. Also is very cheap!)

Soldier%20Blade%20(USA)_1.png

Soldier Blade (god bless this soundtrack)

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Amazing to think this hardware is 30 years old now.

I still remember when the TurboGrafx-16 was released in the US in '89. It was a great system that was hampered by some unfortunate business decisions.

While the TG-16 console itself isn't bad looking, the compact design of the Japanese PC Engine is just so much cooler. That's one of those cases where you really wish they'd just left well enough alone.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite console. Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder are still absolutely amazing to this day.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Ah, this date slipped me by. I tip the brim of my hat to this system and its progeny. So many Japanese developers got to make interesting games for it, especially those hailing from the Japanese PC market which started to contact around 1988 when eroge began to dominate. Hudson Soft, RED Entertainment, Telenet + Wolfteam, Right Stuff, Masaya, Human, Alfa System, Naxat Soft, Falcom, and many developers publishing through NEC and Hudson all made the best of the overall second-largest Japanese install base from 1988 through 1996. CD gaming on console truly started on this platform, and it's a shame the Turbo-Grafx 16 didn't show off more of the system's strong library due to a number of reasons.

I wish I could find a legit copy of Sapphire, as the little bit I played of that at a local convention was really impressive and fun. Two large Falcom action-RPGs, Legend of Xanadu I & II, are both getting English fan patches (with dubs because inserting subs is almost impossible) by next year at least. There's plenty of Japanese exclusives which may never become readily available, however, though Project EGG and Virtual Console have done a pretty good job.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite all time systems in the entire history of gaming. So many classics and so many games that went under the radar because it wasn't as popular as the competition.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played this system myself, but it's quite interesting to realize that Hudson (the same company whose biggest claim to fame in their final years was the goddamned Mario Party series) had at one point enough money to finance their own console.

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never owned one as a kid but I always was really interested with them. I did finally end up collecting one years later, but it wasn't the same, Bonk always looked rad. Any stand out titles you guys recommend I check out?

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
HuC6280A_01.jpg

Happy anniversary little engine. And HuCards remain the coolest game media format I've ever used.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I have only had my turbo for about a year now but I'm really glad to have it. It's fun console with some interesting games on it. I would really like to get the adapter so that I can play japanese games on it, just to give me a more affordable way to get more use out of it.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
My 1st console growing up. Almost every title was memorable in one way or another. One downfall was a sizeable portion of the small library was way too damn hard for a tiny kid. (I was probably 4 or 5 when I first played these) Never got far at all in several games. Regardless, from Bloody Wolf, to Bonk, R-Type, Bloody Wolf, Silent Debuggers, Neo Nectaris, Dungeon Explorers and countless others, the library was so damn solid across the board. Speaking of Dungeon Explorer, that soundtrack out of Tsukasa Masuko easily stands up in comparison to Uematsu's earlier work on final fantasy. No idea how they got that quality of a soundtrack in 1989.

Last edited:

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I only have 15 or so games for mine, but it's still one of my favorite systems to play. In honor of the system's 30th anniversary, I played Soldier Blade.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most underrated gaming consoles in history. A lot of great games, especially shmups. HuCards are so tiny and adorable. Soldier Blade is a fantastic shmup with a great OST.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Never owned one but it's home to my favorite Castlevania game. I played it on PSP and Wiiware.
Happy anniversary!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've never headrd of this system till I think the PS3 era?
It has a sort of charm to it that interests me.
I do enjoy the shmups of it that I played.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Wow Rayxanber III's graphics are amazing, I didn't know games on TurboGrafx-16 could look this good. :O

Oct 25, 2017
I owned one briefly, sold it on Craigslist after I got it for free from a friend I was mad at for awhile for $65

I got ROBBED.

Love the system but claim to never have used to actual hardware - my TV didn't have RF at the time so I couldn't even play Bonk's Adventure which I bought on WiiWare 5 years earlier on it, or Keith lol. The CD games are fucking crazy on this thing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Owner of both a Duo-RX and an Interface Unit combo system (White PCE and White CD-Rom 2 add-on) I approve of this thread ;-)

It's missing some big Amys scans though :(

Oct 27, 2017
U.K.
Bought a white one for rtype, totally worth it. Later got a turbo duo for Dracula x, also totally worth it. Probably even beats the SNES for best console design.

RagManX

Oct 28, 2017
Need to find mine, replace the caps, and add an RGB mod. Still one of the best consoles ever put out. Shame it never caught on and made it big. Playing Ys I and II right now on my GPD XD via TG-16 emulation. Love that game set, love this system.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rocking a turbo and a white PC engine, the CD unit is too expensive for my blood. So many great little niche games on there like Parasol Stars, Cadash, Valkyrie no densetsu.

I showed my friend my collection the other week, and his favorite game for it was, of all things, China warrior. To each their own.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
A great system with some great games... The TurboCD had some pretty decent RPGs, and there were some killer shooters on card and CD... too bad it never really caught on in the Americas but I still own and play my beloved TurboExpress... Devil's Crush, Splatterhouse and Ninja Spirit are perennial faves in my house, and my kids still love playing multiplayer Chew Man Fu and Bomberman on the console when we can be bothered hooking it up...