• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
x5esQuz.png

In 1989 we saw the birth of one the most famous gaming devices that has graced gamers. The Gameboy line was famous for being one of the greatest portable gaming machines with an extensive library that has been around longer than most consoles could even dream
hope for. With the whole line selling over 200 million units it has become one of the greatest achievements from Nintendo.

In this thread we will look at the history of the Gamboy and how this tiny device flourished to what it is today. Please use this thread to list your memories of the system and the games you have played on it.

k8dBzmD.png

Before the Gameboy Nintendo was creating a storm with its successful handheld electronic games. Each handheld had one specific game that could be run and was created by Gunpei Yokoi who came up with the idea after seeing someone play with a lcd calculator by integrating the lcd into a clock and alarm as well as a mini game created a device that became the first steps for Nintendo to branch out into gaming, the Game & Watch is still considered one of Nintendo's earliest realms into gaming after the Color TV. The Game & Watch still has influences today, the DS family clamshell design originates from the Game & Watches series of devices.

w9KbnYn.png

It would be hard to say anything about the Gameboy without mentioning Gunpei Yokoi. A long term Nintendo employee he was born in 1941 and graduated with a degree in electronics he joined Nintendo in 1965, at that time he was in charge of maintaining the conveyor belts for the Nintendo Hanafuda cards. Yokoi liked developing toys in his spare time which was soon noticed by the former president of Nintendo who asked him to make a finalized product was called the Ultra Hand. Soon after the success of the "Ultra Hand",. Yokoi was asked to make other Nintendo toys. With the success of the Game & Watch and his involvement in the Mario and DK
games that he worked on the Gameboy which was deemed as his crowning success.

However not everything was perfect for Yokoi, the release of the Virtual Boy was considered a failure, the console which was a rushed product was put on shelves so that Nintendo could focus on the N64. After Nintendo, Gunpei Yokoi moved onto making his own company and worked on the development of the Bandai ColorSwan. Unfortunately life was cut short in 1997 in a road traffic incident. In 2003 The International Game Developers Association awarded him with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Game Developers Choice Awards.

lzj2iPd.png

The Gameboy was created by Yokoi and the RD1 division, introduced in 1989 it allowed people to play games that were on par with the NES (minus the colour) . It was bundled with Tetris which became the best-selling game for the Gameboy with 30 million copies sold. The Gameboy in it's first two weeks had it's whole stock cleared and hailed as a instant success.

The culminating library of Nintendo games as well as 3rd party support was expansive and offered a rich variety of games that were now available for consumers to play away from their TV sets. Games such as Pokemon and Tetris were instant successes and showed that gamers could have rich experiences with games outside of their home consoles.

The Gameboy had competition during this reign was the Atari lynx and the Game Gear, both were more technologically more advance and offered colour but were more expensive and consumed power at a much faster rate, this put consumers off and made the Gameboy a more attractive proposition for gamers. The console is also considered the first devices that tapped into the female market with reports saying 46% playing the GameBoy were female.

Later changes in the Gameboy's life saw revisions such as a slimmer device, back-lighting and the Gameboy color which finally let it display colours onscreen. The Gameboy Advance was the most progressive change of the GameBoy line of handhelds, by opting for a
new cart format it somewhat broke the compatibility with older handhelds being able to play the newer games, however the GBA could play older GamBoy games with no problems.

Overall the Gameboy line (excluding GBA) has sold over 118 million handhelds, something which even consoles find hard to achieve. It was a global powerhouse and made games more accessible for everyone. It brought Nintendo's franchises onto the little screen
and introduced us to some of the most established franchises in the gaming world today.

EU0Ey4c.png

In 2004, Nintendo showed off the future of Handheld gaming with the Nintendo DS, this system opted for a new whole format for media, however it had a GBA port which could play back old GBA titles, (It could not play GB/GBC games however). The DS was an instant success and beat it's rival the PSP which was more faster and had better features for multimedia playback.

The Gameboy is still remembered fondly by many millions of gamers, with its huge backlog of games and iterations it has become iconic in the gaming world and a juggernaut for Nintendo. Recently Nintendo having been offering some of its classic titles from the GameBoy line on its recent platforms such as the WiiU and 3DS.

Peron ally my first experience with the GameBoy was the GamBoy color, given to my unlce as a present, it was a blast playing pokemon with it, he passed a few yeas after I got this gift and I still keep it and play from time to time.

What's you memory of the GameBoy? Tell us in this thread.

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Today would be a great day for Nintendo to announce some sort of Game Boy Classic. Playing Game Boy games on old hardware is nostalgic but inconvenient.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread!

I first played it around the NA launch via a demo unit at The Bay. Having grown up with portables like the old Mattel sports line and Game & Watch, it was amazing to play some actual console quality games on the go.

I bought it in the summer of 1990, and got a couple imports (Burai Fighter and Ninja Turtles) at a local store not long afterwards. Since I got Burai Fighter so early, I was able to beat it and send the level passwords to Gamepro magazine and get my name published. As a teenager, it was kind of neat to see.

In some ways the Lynx was more impressive around launch (holy shit at seeing Blue Lightning) but the price and Atari's uncertain future kept me away for a while.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
F

For both the Game Boy and for Gunpei Yokoi

This threads lack of posts is a little depressing

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Congratulations GameBoy!

I wish I was cool enough to own you back in the day, alas I had to settle with a 1000 in 1 Tetris Boy.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
wtb67hfb_o.gif

Many fond memories of Tetris, Link's Awakening, Wario Land and that James Bond game.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, I had one back in the day! Great system. The pocket redesign is definitely superior, but I still love the fat anyway.

I can't believe how ugly that OG DS was. Wow. DS eventually had a ton of great games, but it was a new different era.

The beauty of the simplicity of the gameboy and the games has been lost to us. Dpad and two buttons. Wow. I wish they'd bring it back honestly. Games are overly complicated now, and modern novelties like touch and motion are sometimes neat, but nothing beats the basic experience of the NES/gameboy in my opinion. It's timeless, that simplicity. The NES and by extension, the gameboy, may be Nintendo's most accessible console ever, despite the heavy handed attempts to reach the elderly and casuals with 'wave around like an idiot while you're unknowingly activating the equivalent of a digital button press' gameplay. Even if motion controls could meet their theoretical implementation, the wii requires controllers with batteries, wired attachments on a wireless controller, discs that scratch, the IR sensor, it's just so messy compared to the invincible fucking brick design of the NES and gameboy (though that gameboy fat did require a bunch of batteries, I admit, but it would last forever).

Pop a game in, turn it on, Go!

Last edited:

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Nintendo revive the Game Boy brand. GBA is still my favourite console of all time.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
One of my favourites, thanks for keeping me company during my early years.
Nintendo wake up and gimme something.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a shame that Nintendo didn't even acknowledge it's 30th anniversary.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

Guess I have a new project: fix/replace display *sigh*

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Forgot to post my collection:

Such a fantastic lovely system with amazing games.

Have more games now then when I posted the picture never had many games for it but borrowed a lot from friends and had a 25 in 1 carriage from Thailand with a lot of stuff on it as well.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
My first handheld was the Gameboy Color. I remember cranking up the sound and playing the title theme of Pokemon Blue and later Silver directly into my ear from the mono speaker. And I remember playing it by wormlight in the back of the car on long night drives.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The OG fat Game Boy was the first system I ever owned. Got mine in the late '90s right around the time the Color came out. Never missed a Nintendo handheld generation since!

I just wrote a post on my blog for Game Boy's 30th anniversary.

https://downandoutput.com/posts/gameboy-30/

I just started the blog to learn about Github and creating static websites with Hugo. Never wrote a blog before, but I'm really enjoying doing it in my spare time.

Excellent insightful article, thanks for sharing! :)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Hah... Didn't realize I shared my birthday with the gameboy. Maybe that's why I have such a love for them (well, and besides growing up with them).

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
What a system. I spent many hours of my childhood playing it, followed up with GBC. In fact, I currently have a GBC getting modded with a GBA SP 101 backlight. Can't wait for it to arrive!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting a gameboy and tetris and playing it a ton.
I remember getting a second hand copy of Link's Awakening direct from Nintendo shortly after it was released. When it came through the post, I pretended to be ill to bunk off school to play it. I had a splitting headache by the time I completed it, but it was such an addictive game I just kept on going for three days straight till I completed it. ( <3 Eagle's Tower, best zelda dungeon ever)
I remember randomly buying Dragon Warrior Monsters because I saw it cheap, and to this day it is my favourite monster collecting game ever. Then I got a GBC and played it all over again in colour lol

Looooooved my game boy

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I started out on a brand new Game Boy Pocket. Mario Land, Wario Land, and eventually Pokemon and Harvest Moon dominated my time on that platform. Then I advanced to Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion, and Fire Emblem. It was a legendary journey. The GBA Kirbys were great fun and I miss that style.

The Capcom Zeldas on GBC were surprisingly deep too and it took me a very long time to beat them.

I should mention that I often go back and play both Mario Golf RPGs because of the sheer nostalgia factor.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Yesterday I took out my OG DMG-01 to celebrate the occasion, didn't turn on and after a few tries there was smoke coming from the battery compartment. Burnt my finger trying to get those batteries out asap, one of the contacts had a burnt tip and I realized how corroded they had become. Hope cleaning them will make it run again.

Dec 20, 2017
The battery life in that unbreakable brick. What a piece of hardware. I remember playing Tetris on it for hours as a child even though I had no idea what to do -- yes, I didn't know that you were trying to form lines. I was just blown away that I was holding a "Nintendo" in my hands.