• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mk8_deluxe_-_box_naconzkvk.png

some boring sales data:
  • mario kart 8 was released 5 years ago (may 29/30/31 2014) on the wii u. the game went on to sell 8.44 million copies and become the best selling game for the system, with an incredibly high attach rate (62%).
  • 3 years later, the game was re-released for the switch as mario kart 8 deluxe, with all the previously released DLC, new characters and new battle courses. again, it became the best selling game for the system (16.69 million copies) with a 48% attach rate.
  • that means combined it has sold 25.13 million copies.
  • after 5 years, the game is still selling amazingly well in all regions (#3 last week in japan, #12 last month in the US, #8 last week in the UK), with no signs of slowing down.

i had never played the game on the wii u, but the switch version became one of my favorite games on the system. there's a ton of content and it's [imo] the best kart racing game ever made, with amazing gameplay feel and beautiful track designs.
what do you think about the game? do you still play it?

tenor6cjjl.gif

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Best Mario Kart

Crazy that we haven't had a new one in five years, hyped for whatever they release next

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best Mario Kart ever made, and it's not close. Best tracks, best feel, the lot.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to get this on Switch.
I loved it on Wii U, but I hardly played it for whatever reason, even though I played Wii and Double Dash!! a silly amount.

My fondest memory is probably playing in the GAF lobbies when 200cc first launched, and it was just a mess of everybody having no idea how to control it.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
And it's still one of the best looking games out there thanks to artstyle, details and animation.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda amazing that we know that it was already massively profitable on Wii U alone based off of IIRC Nintendo saying that BotW was their most expensive game ever and needed 2 million sales to break even and MK8 sold 4x that amount and now MK8D has sold 8x that amount on top of those 8 million sales with minimal investment from the Wii U version.

It's all well deserved too for how good it is.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I got it just to have it on Switch, since I prefer handheld versions of games almost always. I put in about 75 hours on Wii U but I've only play it on Switch for maybe a few hours.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Possibly the best looking game Nintendo has ever made, not to much some of their best music as well. I forgot the name of the track, but the nightclub themed one with all the crazy lights and distorting track theme is awesome along with N64 Rainbow Road

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
Retro Studios has been making Super Smash Kart and it'll be announced at e3 for 2020 release.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I lament in every Switch software sales thread that the gap between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 9 is going to be the longest in series history and it suuuuucks. I am downright itching for Mario Kart 9 at this point.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I still like Mario Kart DS the most, but I do like Mario kart 8 (I have it on Wii u)
I have to play it more, haven't turned on the Wii U in months

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After Mario Kart 7 felt like a rather rushed entry that lacked options/modes, had ho-hum tracks and ultimately just carried on the basic visual style of the series with no bells or whistles, I wasn't really pumped for yet another entry.

Mario Kart 8 blew away expectations from its reveal alone, since when had the series ever been a graphical showcase for Nintendo? By my count never yet here was MK8 looking so slick that the also newly revealed 3D World was getting flack for looking middling by comparison.

Anti grav was another small gimmick to add to 7's combo of glide and water, this time though there were much greater implications on the gameplay and in the track design, it's such a small but potent addition to the game design that meshes perfectly with the existing pieces.

Throw in that the OST was given as lavish treatment as the visuals and MK8 finally felt like it was getting the budget it should after being Nintendo's ace for multiple generations.

I'm glad switch chose to get more mileage out of MK8 which leaves a much needed gap between series entries, so that the next outing will feel like "it's finally back!" as opposed to "here it is again like clockwork".

Dragon Driftway the best, koopalings were a great addition, that's all.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I wish I played more MK8 during that launch period. Toad Harbor was also stuck in my head until E3, it was the perfect summer theme

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This is the longest we've ever gone without a new Mario Kart (that other big gap coming between 64 & Super Circuit at just under 5 years) so we must be due Mario Kart 9 next year at the latest.....
That'd be nice... But it's very unlikely.
i like your optimism, but the next game will come whenever they launch a new system.
:( You're probably right though...
Earliest is 2023 on Switch 2 if it even launches that soon
Or maybe Switch + in 2020??? A man can dream, ok!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even mind the long wait for Mario Kart 9. 8 still hasn't aged a day and my complaints with it are extremely minor.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Look how angry Mario was when he learned he had to be on the Wii U.

This game came out a few months after GTA V and both games are still high on the monthly charts in 2019.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite kart racer of all time. It's really hard to think of many things this game even did wrong, it was the full package.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In one way I'm happy that we got a complete edition on Switch, but in another it makes me worry that we won't get a Mario Kart 9 for a long time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just noticed, rosalina and luigi got bumped from the cover and are not be on the cover of deluxe. the rest (mario, peach, bowser, toad) are still there with 4 new ones (inkling girl, link, isabelle, yoshi) joining them.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i've put hundreds of hours into the online. wasn't there supposed to be more updates for the game? i'm hoping that botw link wasn't just it.

if dixie kong isn't in mario kart 9 i'm cancelling christmas this year and the next.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite Mario Kart tied with Mario Kart Wii, there I said it.

I think MK8 has fantastic courses but I also think the course-placements for the non-retro or DLC cups could be better. That aside the graphics, gameplay and music are nothing short of fantastic! And I'll never forget my journey to get this game early thanks to a poster back on GAF. Sadly it seems the Mario Kart 8 OT1 over there is gone else I would have reposted my odyssey over here :P

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Blegh, 5 years on and still not a fan of it. It was in the running for second worst in the series until the 200cc update, which made it better and put it in the mid-tier for the series for me (7 is still the worst and DS is the best for those curious). I still hate the Item Distribution for this game (Coins, Coins, Bloomin Coins), very few of the tracks stand out (Shy Guy Falls, Cloudtop Cruise, Wild Woods and the new Bowser Castle, that's about it for courses I like), somehow it's the biggest roster in the series yet we still have no Diddy Kong (Oh but we have Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach though) and... I can go on listing all the gripes I have with this game, but it's not worth it. I'm just still going to question why we are on 8 now and the single player options (espicially since you have to pay for Online now) are still as trash as they are.

I just wish we could move on to 9 already, yet here we are still stuck with the bland-fest of 8. Mario Kart World Tour doesn't seem like it's filling the gap either.

At least Team Sonic Racing is good and the king of kart racers Crash Team Racing is coming back next month to reclaim it's crown. The sooner we get away from Mario Kart 8

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. But isn't it about time for MK9 Nintendo? We used to get a new Mario Kart game once around 3 years.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 is phenomenal, both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics.

Modern HD development takes significantly more time/money than developing something like Mario Kart DS. I don't expect Mario Kart 9 until Nintendo's next system.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be okay if they just soft reboot the franchise call it 'Mario Kart' and it's just a game that keeps updating for 10 years.
Like don't even change much of 8, i think it's the best one, keep updating it on a yearly basis, add a revised version every couple of years and keep adding tracks

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's been very hard resisting to buy a Switch until it's cheaper, but a new MK would do it. But Nintendo, bring back snaking for the next please.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will be okay if they just soft reboot the franchise call it 'Mario Kart' and it's just a game that keeps updating for 10 years.
Like don't even change much of 8, i think it's the best one, keep updating it on a yearly basis, add a revised version every couple of years and keep adding tracks
why do a reboot then? seems like 8 can be that game. just keep adding new characters and courses, the foundation is super solid.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alles I have time say is... Lolygon...

That read to much worse than I meant to...