• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Today marks the first anniversary of God of War, developed by Sony Santa Monica and released on 20th April 2018.

On its release, God of War received universal critical acclaim for bringing a breath of fresh air to the series with a completely new story for the main protagonist, Kratos, in a Norse mythological setting. The latest entry had also been envisioned with a completely new combat system and camera perspective for players, that which made combat all the more thrilling and was praised for its innovations; most people were very fond of Kratos' new weapon, the Leviathan Axe, immediately putting it up there as one of the most satisfying weapons to use in a video game.

DekZ1RJXcAEyEP6.jpg

Within it's first month, God of War had sold 5 million copies, crowning it the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive title in history at the time. While we do not know just quite how much the game has sold over the course of a year, we can expect to hear some details on it later today from Sony Santa Monica themselves.

One of the more memorable moments last year was the Game Awards, and seeing God of War become crowned as VGA's Game of the Year, and even more recently at the BAFTAs as well. Not only had God of War received praise from reviewers, but from many players alike.

LIST OF AWARDS

BAFTA
  • Audio Achievement
  • Best Game
  • Best Music
  • Best Narrative
  • Best Performer (Jeremy Davies as Baldur)
International Film Music Critics Award (IFMCA)
  • Best Original Score for a Video Game or Interactive Media
The Game Awards
  • Game of the Year
  • Best Game Direction
  • Best Action/Adventure Game
D.I.C.E Awards 2019
  • Game of the Year
  • Adventure Game of the Year
  • Outstanding Game Direction
  • Outstanding Art Direction
  • Outstanding Character Performance (Christopher Judge as Kratos)
  • Outstanding Game Design
  • Outstanding Original Music Composition
  • Outstanding Sound Design
  • Outstanding Story
... and many many more awards and nominations

Within the past week, Sony Santa Monica have been doing all kinds of commemoration towards God of War and its release a year ago, and today we can probably expect some news on sales figures for the game. I'll try to update the thread throughout the day with any announcements, fan art and anything else noteworthy!

Last edited:

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to one of my favorite games of all time!

I can't believe a year has already passed.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
Well, last year's GOTY was Red Dead Redemption 2.

But yes, happy birthday to the also excellent game, God of War.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Damn Kratos is already wasted from all the partying XD
BlandAnnualCusimanse-size_restricted.gif

What a game man, I recently finished the Norse Mythology book by Neil Gaiman. Very impressed by how well Santa Monica managed to adapt the mythos in a post GOW3 world/universe. Going by the book, the Sequel is going to be the definition of HYPE when you connect the dots between what the game has teased and whats left to adapt from the Norse mythos.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe a year has passed. Is this how it feels like when you're getting old, lose complete track of time?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best combat system I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy in any (non-fighting) videogame in history, period.

It's also a complete game that launched actually finished with zero live service-y bullshit, loot boxes, micro transactions, or even any dlc whatsoever.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it last month. One if the best game in recent years, its an example that you can have cinematic experience without sacrificing gameplay (the combat is sooo fking good).

Damn Kratos is already wasted from all the partying XD
BlandAnnualCusimanse-size_restricted.gif

What a game man, I recently finished the Norse Mythology book by Neil Gaiman. Very impressed by how well Santa Monica managed to adapt the mythos in a post GOW3 world/universe. Going by the book, the Sequel is going to be the definition of HYPE when you connect the dots between what the game has teased and whats left to adapt from the Norse mythos.

I read Neil Gaiman Norse book about 6 months before playing GoW. When Mimir shares his tales, more often than not I go "Wait a minute, I know this story !"

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solid, gripping and compelling game. Few games make me want to avidly play it like GOW did and it's a Platinum trophy Im proud of getting.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018

If anyone is reading this thread and hasn't played it yet... here's a great offer!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm on new game+ after months without playing the game, it's so good. God of War 2 is going to be bonkers on PS5.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This game literally changed my life, I cannot express how grateful I am to Cory and the Santa Monica team 🙏🏻

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing game. What they did to reinvent the series is nothing short of incredible.

Back on the day when I watched GOW2 making of commercial and we saw Cory making a sandwich I just knew. I knew he will be one of my favourite game directors.

I think I will have to go for another round.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I give it a Boy/10, what an awesome journey.

I hope the sequel gives us more variety when it comes to mini boss/boss battles. The older games did such a great job with that compared to this one. I got tired of fighting reskinned trolls after awhile lol.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Love it. It took a series that I found pretty boring and turned it into my GOTY, it's crazy how good it is.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Best game of this gen for me. Felt fantastic and made me really happy I got a PS4. I didn't like it far better than GOW3 but because I already loved the trilogy so much it didn't matter - it was just excellent. The sequel is the main reason I'll probably be buying the 5 as well.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fitting that I just beat my second playthrough of the game. Not sure why I felt like playing it again one year later, but I did.

Other than its production values, which are astounding (probably has the nicest looking scenery in a game yet), the game's most remarkable achievement is turning Kratos into a real character. A relatable, human, likable character. Fucking Kratos. It's almost miraculous. The narrative and all-around writing in this game is fantastic, with only a couple of minor gripes.

I didn't like it quite as much the second time around, its issues during gameplay were much more noticeable this time, mainly the close-up camera and extremely low field of view during combat continually interfering with my enjoyment of the game, which is constantly preventing you from seeing where enemies are around you. Not appropriate for an action game of this sort where you're usually fighting off groups of enemies attacking from multiple directions, as far as I'm concerned. Plus the constant need to babysit the camera is a major inconvenience. The combat design itself has issues of its own, but I don't really mind them as much as what I just mentioned. Hopefully they introduce a more dynamic sort of camera for the sequel that pulls out when it needs to.

Aside from a better camera, a better balanced difficulty would also do wonders for the sequel. I found "balanced" way too easy and "give me challenge" a tad too aggravating at the beginning (but enemies eventually become pushovers anyway). And forget GMGOW, I have no idea how anyone could find that slog enjoyable. How can SSM even call that "give me God of War", a mode where an actual God of War struggles to beat even the weakest grunts. GoW could almost be included as part of the currently popular difficult discussion on the other side of the spectrum, as an example of how to not balance challenge and how not to do multiple difficulty options.

Despite my grievances it's still overall I think a super enjoyable game and one of my top games from 2018.

OP
OP
Much

Much

Feb 24, 2018

A throwback to what makes the Leviathan Axe so good.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game of the Year 2018 and of the Generation. Congrats Sony Santa Monica Studio :)