• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tYGC1a1.png

HAPPY! is based on New York Times best-selling author Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson's graphic novel of the same name. The series follows Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni, Law & Order: SVU) – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man – who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named Happy (Patton Oswalt).

Cast
http://www.syfy.com/happy/cast/1
Nick Sax
played by Christopher Melonia
NmPrG6O.jpg

Once a rock star detective for a major metropolitan police force, Nick lost it all. Now he's a broken, down-and-out hired killer that makes just enough money to support a steady diet of booze, drugs and sarcasm by carrying out hits for the mob.

Happy
voiced by Patton Oswalt
BECH0lH.jpg

A goofy little blue unicorn with a relentlessly cheerful personality. Together, Happy and Nick Sax make the oddest of oddball buddy double acts.

Amanda Hansen
played by Medina Senghore
Whuh0lU.jpg

A strong single mother, Amanda's world is shattered when her daughter is kidnapped. Amanda will stop at nothing to bring Hailey home, but in order to save her Amanda will have to confront demons of her own.

Francisco Scaramucci
played by Ritchie Coster
1AKK4Bq.jpg

A diabolical villain otherwise known as Mr. Blue. A man whose wealth and status as a legitimate businessman in the wine import trade support an increasingly profitable and highly illegal sideline.

Det. Meredith McCarthy
played by Lili Mirojnick
PrSOOSR.jpg

Merry is a tough homicide detective in a man's world. She's a good cop who's had to swallow her pride and give up her ideals to save her job and protect her elderly mother. Will the secrets of her past bring damnation - or redemption?

Smoothie
played by Patrick Fischler
NVOX81J.jpg

The twisted henchman of Mr. Blue, Smoothie's depravity is matched only by his bizarre interrogation techniques.

Trailer

Full Episode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in. Enjoyed the pilot a lot. Really my only objection is that the amount of punishment he takes with seemingly no real ill effects is kind of silly. He (and The Punisher) seem to have more than a little of Wolverine's healing abilities.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. Enjoyed the pilot a lot. Really my only objection is that the amount of punishment he takes with seemingly no real ill effects is kind of silly. He (and The Punisher) seem to have more than a little of Wolverine's healing abilities.
I feel they took a lot of inspiration from Crank (which makes sense since Brian Taylor is a Writer/Executive Producer).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fairy Tail definitely needed some competition in that "little flying blue companion called 'Happy'" market.

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this was great! I'm trying to track down a copy of the graphic novel now. Meloni channeling a bit of Gene from WHAS in this, I love it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Totally missed this, but think the Crank movies (especially High Voltage) are the pinnacle of human society. Had NO CLUE BT was involved. Is this as awesome as his pedigree would lead me to believe?

OMG, just saw that the first episode is in the OP. Bless you, Geist.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck. This is good! I wasn't sure what to expect but I always enjoy the idea of imaginary friends being real in fiction and that combined with Meloni on seemingly non stop bender of drugs, gratuitous bodily harm and some really off the walls shit. Its also pretty funny. The scene in the cab from the first episode where Nick meets Happy was fucking hilarious!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Greatly enjoying this. Episode 2 was just as fun... I'm basically going to consider this Crank 3, especially given that cameo in episode 1!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Watched both episodes this afternoon. Super great, Meloni is awesome, Patton is a lot of fun and the story is absurd and wonderful like it was in the comic and super bloody. I hope this can overcome Syfy and do well. It deserves more eyes and a bigger thread.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This show is amazing.

I haven't seen Christopher Meloni in much comedy, so all I can think of is Freakshow with all of his idiotic expressions :lol:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Great third episode. This show kinda came outta nowhere, I hope it's doing well for being on SyFy.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Just found about this. In to see how Morrison riffing on Millar translates to screen.

Did he ever say that Happy! Was him riffing on Millar ? I'm a Morrison diehard and only time I've ever heard Grant say something about him was something to the tune of

"I wish him well, but there's no good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons, most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature."

I like some of Mark's stuff but Grant is more my taste.

Anyway the show is really really great so far. The translation has been top notch.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did he ever say that Happy! Was him riffing on Millar ? I'm a Morrison diehard and only time I've ever heard Grant say something about him was something to the tune of

"I wish him well, but there's no good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons, most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature."

Anyway the show is really really great so far. The translation has been top notch.

Nah, that's just my completely amateur assessment. It's a cynical and in many ways out-of-character comic for Morrison, so it felt to me like he was channeling a bit of his old writing buddy (and outdoing him in the process). The icing on the cake being it got turned into a TV show :D

Glad to hear it's good.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Happy telling Sax what to say in Mandarin to the Chinese waitress was fucking hilarious.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Nah, that's just my completely amateur assessment. It's a cynical and in many ways out-of-character comic for Morrison, so it felt to me like he was channeling a bit of his old writing buddy (and outdoing him in the process). The icing on the cake being it got turned into a TV show :D

Glad to hear it's good.

It's all good. It seems too just keep getting better. Then again I'm biased.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so in for this, I love Morrison and quite liked the graphic novel. But. Does anyone know where to watch it in sweden? Or is this like the expanse, where SyFy won't distribute it worldwide for like 8 months after the original broadcast?

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

What happened between the two? I'm of a similar mindset regarding Millar, given his sour outlook on the possibilities of human nature (and not a big fan of his rapey narratives).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh can we also talk about Mr. Bug? I had no idea what exactly was going on in that scene except Mr. Blue was getting a dressing down. I mean... what the fuck...

Also the latex/furry/BDSM orgy scene in the other room...

It was also chuckle worthy that a guy dressed as a giant bug was criticizing a guy who employed a dude dressed like methed out Santa Claus

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
The fourth episode was fantastic. I really love the pacing going on in the show. They have an exposition episode and then they have a batshit crazy, forward momentum episode. Melon's performance is cartoonish but their def is nuance. The devices like Jerry Springer and the Real housewives riff also are nice ways to deliver information.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Morrison also told Rolling Stone about Millar:

"There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens."

Yikes.

Anyway, I'm a huge Morrison fan and was at the comic shop day one for issue one, and have been on the TV show bandwagon since day one.

Since the comic was only 4 issues, and light on plot in those 4 issues, I was worried about how well the comic would translate to a full series, but they've done a good job so far.

Some of the non-Happy/Sax scenes can drag, but overall, they keep it fun and interesting, even with some of the stuff that wasn't in the comic. In particular, the Chinatown fight in the last episode was pretty cool.

Looking forward to more.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New Episode Tonight:

Episode 5: White Sauce? Hot Sauce?

Sax and Happy go separate ways following a destructive family reunion; Merry is under investigation by Internal Affairs; and Hailey and children are introduced to a far more terrifying prison.

Edit:
season 2, if we're lucky enough to have one, will expand wayyyyyyyy beyond the comics...
I was wondering if the show was going to be a mini-series or left open for a sequel, so I guess that answers that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a such a bizarre but entertaining show. Even after the other crazy shit in this episode the ending caught me by surprise. Was not expecting that. Sax's reaction matched my own lol

Last edited:

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

I've always thought it was more like Grant Morrison found a kind of shitty Garth Ennis script in the dumpster of an alley in Glasgow, wiped the mustard off of it, and put a fun blue horse into it and made it great. Grant Morrison riffing on Millar would be kind of Meta, since Millar began his whole career as a failed clone of Morrison in the first place.

Lady Justice

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That Happy! got turned into a TV Show makes me really happy. I'm huge Morrison fan, so I'm biased. But I really, really like that show. Showed to a friend during Christmas holidays and he got hooked.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
when you rely on the director of Crank 2 and Gamer to keep your insanity in check you're in trouble

Grant Morrison's trademark throw shit at a wall and see what sticks approach is in full force here and when Taylor directs there are some sparks of magic

but when it's given to another director to run an episode, the kinetic glue is missing and the choppy plot falls flat with only Meloni and co stood there emptily chewing the scenery

not sure how many episodes are in this series but 5 and 6 were a drag

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
8 episodes if I'm remembering right and I thought every episode has been pretty good so far. They want to do a season 2 so we will see if Syfy renews. I'm hopefully and think it will be but we will see in the coming weeks most likely.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought episode 3 and 4 were actually the weaker episodes and really liked 5 and 6 though I've enjoyed it through out. Some of the funniest parts to me are when Nick makes a weird but hilarious comment. When he's fighting the axe wielding hitmen in his ex wife's place he chases one upstairs with a hatchet and immediately throws it and totally misses the guy and instead throws it out the window and Sax goes,"Now why did I do that?" or something along those lines. Meloni's delivery and how oddly self deprecating it was got a good laugh out of me.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that was an amazing episode of television.

A great X-Files, a great Magicians and a great Happy! What a night to be a geeky television fan.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This is truly holding up as one of the most kinetic, wild, imaginative, and batshit crazy adaptations I've ever seen on TV. I originally balked that one of the leads on the 'Crank' film series was showrunner but now I couldn't imagine it any other way. Last night's episode was bananas. The Smoothie sequence is one I don't think I'll get out of my head for a good long while. I really hope SyFy gives them a second season.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterdays episode was bug nuts crazy and yes that bug pun was totally on purpose. That was before we got to the Smoothie scene and where we find out why he's called that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last episode was amazing can't wait for the finale I hope it isn't the end.

There was talk about having ideas for where to go if they get a second season but I'm not sure the show will be popular enough to garner it. This thread is mostly dead sadly though I've tried to bump this in other TV related threads as its one of my favorite shows of the last year.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just want to say that I absolutely love this show and really hope it does get a second season. Meloni strapped with a mother and son gunning down goons was the best. And the rest of the insanity, naturally.

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
I have high hopes it'll get renewed ratings are decent enough but limited advertisers might be the issue. It's gotten high praise from almost anyone that's seen it so it's a pretty good show overall personally I think they will renew it.