• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
What's doing Era

Happy thanksgiving!

Already did some shopping on amazon.

We are going to my gfs parents at noon (white people seem to have thanksgiving dinner early as fuck)

Then going to my moms around 6 or 7 (Dominicans have thanksgiving late as fuck). And all around then we'll be shopping on our phones.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a perfect year for me all around. I'm thankful for a lot! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
One of the holidays I miss the most from the US. Sucks living in another country when it's Thanksgiving,the other times it's not so bad.

Happy Thanksgiving fam!

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hope you all have a good holiday

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. One of the strangest years of my life. Battled extreme anxiety attacks most of the year, moved across the country, started a new job, got married. Feeling more at ease lately. I hope it continues in 2018. Have a great day, all.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving!

LlQrq.gif

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving! Going to have a big family get together with the traditional feast, and then I'm heading over to my girlfriend's for a romantic evening.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving!!

I love this place and I'm thankful it's here.

Heading to my in-laws out of state. Wish me luck, lol.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful for many things but can't help but be thankful for how well this site and migration turned out.

Theologian

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on Era. Here are some Thanksgiving articles that hopefully will encourage everyone on this day of relationships.

Ten things you didn't know about Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching in the United States, we thought that it would be interesting to highlight ten fun facts on the holiday from the newly released The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Second Edition.​

4 Reasons We Can Be Thankful in Times of Trouble

On Thanksgiving Day Americans celebrate our most religious of secular holiday. For hundreds of years we've made a national tradition of giving thanks for the blessings of the preceding year. But for Christians, every day should be a day of thanksgiving, since the regular practice of gratitude is a means by which we become rightly oriented toward God. Without a regular infusion of gratitude we can become self-involved, believing that we are the ones responsible for all that we have in our lives. Only by developing the discipline of gratitude can we ensure that we are cognizant of God's goodness and reliant on him for our daily existence.​

Here's a recipe for civil chats during your turkey dinner

For those of us with strong political opinions, none of this comes easily. But in this hyperpolarized era, where Americans don't just disagree with their political opponents, but increasingly demonize them as enemies, such efforts are needed. As a leading moral psychologist Jonathan Haidt said, "Political polarization and cross-partisan hatred are an existential threat to the future of the American Experiment. Personal relationships are the most powerful way to bridge the divide and bring Americans into productive democratic discussion." So let's embrace our patriotic duties this Thanksgiving and have a constructive conversation about politics with someone we disagree with. If the discussion starts to get out of control, you can always steer talk to the Vikings-Lions game.​

The Original Thanksgiving Menu in the Fall of 1621

In late September or early October, the Pilgrims celebrated their recently gathered harvest. They did so without pumpkin pie (no ovens), cranberry sauce (no sugar), and sweet potatoes (not native to North America). One of the settlers, Edward Winslow, recorded that they ate some kind of "fowl"—more likely to be goose or duck than turkey. Geese were much easier to shoot. The meal may also have included fish, shellfish, and perhaps eel, and the settlers would also have used vegetables such as turnips and carrots. Nor did they sit across from their native counterparts at a long table. Instead, McKenzie writes, "We should picture an outdoor feast in which almost everyone was sitting on the ground and eating with their hands." About 90 Wampanoag men and their chief Massasoit were present, but we don't know whether they came with an invitation. A few years later, a delegation politely informed Massasoit that the Pilgrims "could no longer give them such entertainment as [they] had done." It was, in any event, a fragile peace. In 1623, the Pilgrims placed the severed head of a Massachusetts Indian on their fort as a warning to native enemies and friends alike. For the Pilgrims, this was not a holy day of thanksgiving, a long and solemn day of prayer, preaching, and worship. Instead, the "first" thanksgiving was a harvest celebration, including military drills and "recreations" (probably races, shooting contests, and so forth). Later generations of Americans temporarily managed to turn Thanksgiving into a church-centered day of worship and thanks, which eventually faded into an increased focus both on large family meals and football games.​

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving fam! Thankful for y'all and for alot of other shit. What's everybody having besides Turkey?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving

I have to go to work today. I only had time to make a sandwich from the scrapes. I won't get out of work until 10pm and I have to comeback tomorrow morning.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
My friend chose not to do holidays this year and ate a grilled cheese sandwich. He's gonna be laying around and playing games or something. Living the dream.

Happy Thanksgiving and such

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Always hated this holiday. Stuck with people I don't care for and the food is never worth the wait. The only thing I look forward too is getting games for cheap in the afternoon. Happy for those though that enjoy it more.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You too! Thanksgiving cooking starts @9am at home and everything is finished cooking by 1pm then we eat the rest of the day well into the week(s) with leftovers. Cream of turkey soup for days.

Oct 30, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving Era! Heading to my in-laws in a bit for food/fun then to my parents for a large afternoon feast.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I think you are missing the point of this holiday.

I don't like most people and they don't like me, so I only care for sales as a result. Im not ignorant to what the holiday is about, but when you're not gifted with great family and no friends then it's not really not that fun for yourself. Like I said, I'm happy for those that are enjoying, I'm just not as lucky.

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't like most people and they don't like me, so I only care for sales as a result. Im not ignorant to what the holiday is about, but when you're not gifted with great family and no friends then it's not really not that fun for yourself. Like I said, I'm happy for those that are enjoying, I'm just not as lucky.
Im sorry bro, that sounds shitty. We are your family now.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Im sorry bro, that sounds shitty. We are your family now.

Thank you, that's why I'm on here posting a lot. Gets me away from the real world. Just had the worst year of my life, so it's been hard lately. Just hoping 2018 is a much better year even though switching years doesn't do anything, but time heals so hopefully I'm in a better position.