• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
question: on which platforms does a purchase release the episodes 0-49 to? Because the site itself doesn't actually show that by default (yes, with ad blocker engaged, but that information should not be dependent on that).

Can I simply hear them as MP3's or something or do I need to go with itunes? (the latter being a 'no deal' to me)

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
question: on which platforms does a purchase release the episodes 0-49 to? Because the site itself doesn't actually show that by default (yes, with ad blocker engaged, but that information should not be dependent on that).

Can I simply hear them as MP3's or something or do I need to go with itunes? (the latter being a 'no deal' to me)
You have to buy them from Carlin's site, and then can listen to/download them as MP3s

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

You just buy them on the site as MP3s then do what you'd like with them.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp...ddendum06_On_The_Vietnam_War_with_Sir_Max.mp3

"Description: This show comes in two parts, an overview of the Vietnam War era by Dan, followed by a conversation with famed writer, historian and war correspondent Sir Max Hastings about his experience in Vietnam and his new book on the Vietnam War. Show Notes: 1. Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975 by Max Hastings 2. Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings"

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
This has appeared on my podcast feed.

Really excited to see some Vietnam war coverage after having finished up watching the Ken Burns documentary recently.

Oct 26, 2017
I avoided the first one because I didn't want to wait eons with a cliffhanger of goodness. Wrapping up the last 2 hours of my 3rd listen of Fall of Roman Republic, then will jump into Supernova in the East finally.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I love the art for these. This and Blueprint for Armageddon really sell how insane the melding of old and new these conflicts were.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone keep replying to this thread, I mean, I already got excited that the episode dropped and now I'm sad, so my misery wants some company now.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is great! I just finished listening to the first episode the other day.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
AHhh new episode. I've been waiting for so long.

I had plans today too. I will adhere to said plans but can't wait till my work commute.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Took me the whole week to finish it. It's interesting material, but I don't get as much out of it since he has already touched on it in the Fire Bombings of Tokyo and Atomic Bomb episodes.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the next episode. With Pearl Harbor, I think it's just too much of a challenge to present it outside the western perspective because of its significance to us, but it'll be nice to hopefully move away from that a little bit and get more into exploring what the Japanese were thinking when they were doing what they did during the rest of the war.

Oct 26, 2017
I just blew through episode 1 and started 2 yesterday. I thought episode was fantastic, but I had to come in and comment on episode 2. It is okay, but an hour in and it does a few things I'm finding odd? For starters, he apologizes about 30-45 minutes in for focusing so much on Nanjing in a way that makes it sound like he is going to keep going on about it, then meanders, and then is done with Nanjing. Now I am only an hour and 20 in, but it came off so odd. Am I the only one who actually felt like he didn't focus on Nanjing enough? There was no real period to the story, and for something that huge, I kind of wanted one? I also wasn't a fan that towards the end of this meander after Nanjing, he goes into the "other side" and Japan's opinion of Nanjing. The opinions on that side weren't very focused or articulated either, other than, "You guys have done bad things too!" and it left me wondering why any time is being wasted on what Japan thinks of their massacre of innocent people.

I'm still really liking this, but I just had to pause to vent and ramble. Maybe I'm the only one who felt something just didn't click about the Nanjing portion of this episode.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dan and History on Fire host Danielle Bolelli do a crosscast together about Nazis, political spectrums, U.S. Presidents they want back and some other stuff. Basically it's a typical phone call between these two guys that an audience gets to hear for once.

Only 30 mins in, but this one is good.

Great episode. A lot of people on this forum could benefit from listening to this one.

Last edited:

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the bump - no new HH show.

Just wanted to say I finally got around to listening to the full Kings of Kings series and thought it was fantastic. I like how he told it from the Persian perspective, because like most of us I only knew of these stories from the Greek point of view.

Also, the ancient Assyrians were some bad motherfuckers. And Part 3 left me really wanting a full series on Alexander the Great.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Seriously.

If I name my kids Cyrus or Darius, is that putting too much pressure on them?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Addendum release, crossover episode with History on Fire

(Sorry for the bump)

I listened to this recently and it was really interesting and thought-provoking. I agree that people on the boards particularly ought to listen to it.
That bit on people seeing every slight deviation from their opinion as appalling reminded me of this bit from history of the entire world:

On a general note: HH is amazing but an episode every 6 months is killing me. Relistening might be too hard though.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(Sorry for the bump)

I listened to this recently and it was really interesting and thought-provoking. I agree that people on the boards particularly ought to listen to it.
That bit on people seeing every slight deviation from their opinion as appalling reminded me of this bit from history of the entire world:

On a general note: HH is amazing but an episode every 6 months is killing me. Relistening might be too hard though.

I haven't listened to the latest series. I forget too much of what happens during the wait. So, I'm waiting until the full series is done before I listen.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I really enjoy re-listening to HH. I always notice/focus something that I either forgot or didn't take in. I probably listen to each series 2 or 3 times.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
No HH news, but instead here's a trailer for Dan's latest project:

Podcast legend Dan Carlin, of Hardcore History, uses the power of virtual reality to transport audiences into one of the most extreme battlefields in history — The Western Front of the First World War. Viewers wear a wireless VR headset and step into a physical trench set that can be touched. The physical and the virtual blend together into something that creates the most realistic simulation of the past that modern technology can allow.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
New Addendum Episode:

Published:Today 00:51Type:Audio
Duration:2:00:52Played:No
Description: Could militaries separated by ten centuries compete on a battlefield? In this alternative history experiment two armies that successfully invaded Britain a millennium apart are matched. Which side would you bet on? Show Notes: 1. The Landmark Julius Caesar: The Complete Works: Gallic War, Civil War, Alexandrian War, African War, and Spanish War by Julius Caesar 2. Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades, 1000–1300 by John France 3. Battle: A History Of Combat And Culture by John Lynn 4.The Origins Of War: From The Stone Age To Alexander The Great by Arther Ferrill 5. Roman Warfare (Cassell's History of Warfare) by Adrian Goldsworthy 6. Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy 7. Maurice's Strategikon: Handbook of Byzantine Military Strategy by George T. Dennis 8. History of the Art of War, Vol. 1: Warfare in Antiquity by Hans Delbrück 9. The Normans (Elite) by David Nicolle