• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the non new episode bump, but listening to Celtic Holocaust and I'd like to read more about Ceaser's military years. Any good books to recommend?
For one, The Commentaries, which were Caesar's account of his conquest of Gaul. I was actually thinking of getting the audiobook version, the narrator sounds quite good
https://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/The-Commentaries-Audiobook/B002V0QDS0

Also if you're new to Hardcore History, you must check out Death Throes of the Republic. Dan explores Caesar's military campaign and life in much more detail

I also enjoyed Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy and Rubicon by Tom Holland

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Destroyer of Worlds, Celtic Holocaust, and Ghosts of the Ostfront are absolutely riveting. Everyone should listen to these.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
For one, The Commentaries, which were Caesar's account of his conquest of Gaul. I was actually thinking of getting the audiobook version, the narrator sounds quite good
https://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/The-Commentaries-Audiobook/B002V0QDS0

Also if you're new to Hardcore History, you must check out Death Throes of the Republic. Dan explores Caesar's military campaign and life in much more detail

I also enjoyed Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy and Rubicon by Tom Holland

Definitely not new. I own most of his back catalog. Death Throes was fantastic, but I don't remember him spending much time in Caesar's Gaul time except to show how it affected the Republic. He went much more in detail on other players as well.

The commentaries sound interesting, but I would find myself questioning everything Caesar says. I should probably pick up Rubicon. I thought about it after Death Throes since he sourced that heavily.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Dan was in episode 1041 of the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast. Three hours long so it's like a regular HH episode

Edit: the story about how he met Mattis is too rambunctious to be true goddamn

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

First two episodes are up. The first one was the Nazi Germany vs Imperial Germany video from a while back. The second one is an interview with Mike Duncan from Revolutions and History of Rome.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I could have Dan Carlin's voice played through my earbuds forever and never be bored of it. I often just put hardcore histories I've already listened to on loop. Im thinking about getting into the Wrath of the Khans next.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I feel like the World War 1 vs 2 Germany infantry piece could have been distilled to 5 minutes. And there were practically no comparisons between the infantry, it was all about leadership/ideology.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Updates the title and OP with the new ep

The new episode doesn't seem to be on Apple Podcasts or other podcast apps yet

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got a quick recap on what exactly is the new episode about?

I'm about 90 minutes in - so far it's about attitudes toward using pain/violence as entertainment. It opens with how modern entertainment is similar to the Roman gladatorial games - we know it's "fake" now, but we still want to see people die. Then it goes into the public viewings of execution/torture and how they were seen at the time. Interesting stuff, but a lot of it is descriptions of horrific torture, as a warning.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 90 minutes in - so far it's about attitudes toward using pain/violence as entertainment. It opens with how modern entertainment is similar to the Roman gladatorial games - we know it's "fake" now, but we still want to see people die. Then it goes into the public viewings of execution/torture and how they were seen at the time. Interesting stuff, but a lot of it is descriptions of horrific torture, as a warning.

Thanks

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That 500 lions vs hundreds of soldiers has to be exaggerated, right? Because that's absolutely insane

And yes, people would absolutely watch that today. Bullfighting is a thing. I mean, Discovery did a "Watch a man get eaten by an anaconda" special.

People would watch that

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Great, this is just a reminder for me that I still have a backlog of HH's left ...

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
That 500 lions vs hundreds of soldiers has to be exaggerated, right? Because that's absolutely insane

He did mention Nero's name in there somewhere, and that man was a crazy bastard (not in a good way). The Roman state at the time almost assuredly had the resources to pull stuff like that off, too.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 30 minutes into Painfotainment and Carlin's basically just been repeating: "God we're all so soft these days, aren't we?" as his central thesis. Does he change it up at all in the next 3-4 hours?

Tonedeff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 30 minutes into Painfotainment and Carlin's basically just been repeating: "God we're all so soft these days, aren't we?" as his central thesis. Does he change it up at all in the next 3-4 hours?
Hmmm, not really, but he's not really making this comparison to shit on moderns, its more so just a useful point of comparison.

The whole episode enraptured me. Never realised how pain centric most entertainment actually is. Definitely a subject I'd actually like to see handled more directly in the future by more creatives

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that part of the reason I found Prophets of Doom so good has to do with what happened to John von Leiden when they finally got him. Thus far, none of the gore examples from Painfotainment have come close to how graphic that one was, and I think that one was enjoyable specifically for how well Dan painted von Leiden as a huge piece of shit who deserved his fate.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
He's weighing whether or not there is an innate human tendency to enjoy the suffering of others. The implication is that if we appear 'softer' than our forbears, it's either because society has only recently told us death and suffering are appalling to witness, or because we've substituted the live version with fictionalized death. Alternatively, pre-modern humans may not have been that bad, i.e. the ritual, crowd-sourced repentance of the offender.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the episode a little while ago. For me, it was the best episode he's put out since Blueprints. Definitely an angle on history I haven't thought hard enough about before. Also, I found the section on the lives of pre/early-modern executioners to be especially weird and fascinating. Although I think Dan could have maybe kept going and dug into the idea of humanity deriving enjoyment from inflicting suffering on others still being a cornerstone of our modern penal systems, that might be a subject for another episode/show.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the episode a little while ago. For me, it was the best episode he's put out since Blueprints. Definitely an angle on history I haven't thought hard enough about before. Also, I found the section on the lives of pre/early-modern executioners to be especially weird and fascinating. Although I think Dan could have maybe kept going and dug into the idea of humanity deriving enjoyment from inflicting suffering on others still being a cornerstone of our modern penal systems, that might be a subject for another episode/show.
"Tough on crime" is definitely still a thing, for sure.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

And yes, people would absolutely watch that today. Bullfighting is a thing. I mean, Discovery did a "Watch a man get eaten by an anaconda" special.

People would watch that
The whole idea of 500 soldiers fighting 500 lions is straight out of that Era threads few days ago. The Collosseum's promotions program had to have been run by a bunch of people who'd be crafting dank memes on Twitter, Reddit and 4chan if they were around today.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, not really, but he's not really making this comparison to shit on moderns, its more so just a useful point of comparison.

The whole episode enraptured me. Never realised how pain centric most entertainment actually is. Definitely a subject I'd actually like to see handled more directly in the future by more creatives

This book might be up your alley -

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11107324-the-art-of-cruelty

Today both reality and entertainment crowd our fields of vision with brutal imagery. The pervasiveness of images of torture, horror, and war has all but demolished the twentieth-century hope that such imagery might shock us into a less alienated state, or aid in the creation of a just social order. What to do now? When to look, when to turn away?

Genre-busting author Maggie Nelson brilliantly navigates this contemporary predicament, with an eye to the question of whether or not focusing on representations of cruelty makes us cruel. In a journey through high and low culture (Kafka to reality TV), the visual to the verbal (Paul McCarthy to Brian Evenson), and the apolitical to the political (Francis Bacon to Kara Walker), Nelson offers a model of how one might balance strong ethical convictions with an equally strong appreciation for work that tests the limits of taste, taboo, and permissibility.

It's a bit heady, as it draws on philosophy and literary theory, but it's worth checking out.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I've been listening for awhile. Pretty much since Blueprint.

Is Death Throes as good? I heard some of his earlier shows are shakier than current ones so I wasn't sure it was worth buying, but I'm flying cross country in a few days so I thought I might ask.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

Ugh. Really starting to tire of Carlin's excessive repetition in recent episodes. I gave up on Celtic Holocaust because of how repetitive it felt. He could have condensed the bulk of the material down to an Hour and still had the same impact.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Is Death Throes as good? I heard some of his earlier shows are shakier than current ones so I wasn't sure it was worth buying, but I'm flying cross country in a few days so I thought I might ask.
Death Throes is my favorite HH series. Part of it is because I find Roman history fascinating, but just the gradual and bloody erosion from republic to empire is very compelling and threads through the lives of so many interesting and famous figures

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

Death Throes is his very best work. I've listened to the whole thing through several times.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I take it he's given up on Common Sense at this point since it's no longer even on the front page?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. It was a lot of ideas about he true nature of human, uh, nature, that he has talked about before. This was more of a case of narrating specific instances throughout history.

The Jesse Washington account at th End was horrific.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I take it he's given up on Common Sense at this point since it's no longer even on the front page?
Maybe he feels as though he has nothing useful to contribute now that Trump is president. He's been one of those "both sides are the same" nonsense pushers for decades who also wanted some populist from outside of politics to come in, take over one of the parties and tear apart the old two party system.

Now that he got his wish, he's seeing how wrong he was about everything. He has never been "woke", so to speak, he's tone-deaf on racial issues and maddeningly conservative on topics such as guns, but he has principles and he uses them to justify his stances, which is why I listen to Common Sense in the first place. The Trump presidency and the multiple constitutional crises he's precipitating have him shook and I think it'll be a while until he finds his feet again politically.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he feels as though he has nothing useful to contribute now that Trump is president. He's been one of those "both sides are the same" nonsense pushers for decades who also wanted some populist from outside of politics to come in, take over one of the parties and tear apart the old two party system.

Now that he got his wish, he's seeing how wrong he was about everything. He has never been "woke", so to speak, he's tone-deaf on racial issues and maddeningly conservative on topics such as guns, but he has principles and he uses them to justify his stances, which is why I listen to Common Sense in the first place. The Trump presidency and the multiple constitutional crises he's precipitating have him shook and I think it'll be a while until he finds his feet again politically.
I remember after the election he didn't do Common Sense for awhile, and his first episode was him talking about how he got what he always asked for, and was left disappointed. I remember he just sounded so burnt out for the whole episode.