• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the episode a little while ago. For me, it was the best episode he's put out since Blueprints. Definitely an angle on history I haven't thought hard enough about before. Also, I found the section on the lives of pre/early-modern executioners to be especially weird and fascinating. Although I think Dan could have maybe kept going and dug into the idea of humanity deriving enjoyment from inflicting suffering on others still being a cornerstone of our modern penal systems, that might be a subject for another episode/show.
Listening to that section on the Roman crowds calling out punishments and feeling empowered because they have input into destroying someone, I kept thinking about twitter mobs. Other bits made me think of the way people tend to react to political differences, or the way some view our justice system.

I don't think we've changed much in wanting to see other people hurt and deriving satisfaction from it, or even in the excuses we use to justify that desire ("they're bad and deserve it" "deterrence!" etc). We've just changed in what's acceptable to do to people.

Some sort of progress, at least, even if our desires are the same as they always were.

Kind of a depressing episode. :P

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he feels as though he has nothing useful to contribute now that Trump is president. He's been one of those "both sides are the same" nonsense pushers for decades who also wanted some populist from outside of politics to come in, take over one of the parties and tear apart the old two party system.

Now that he got his wish, he's seeing how wrong he was about everything. He has never been "woke", so to speak, he's tone-deaf on racial issues and maddeningly conservative on topics such as guns, but he has principles and he uses them to justify his stances, which is why I listen to Common Sense in the first place. The Trump presidency and the multiple constitutional crises he's precipitating have him shook and I think it'll be a while until he finds his feet again politically.

Couldn't have said it better! I had to stop listening during the last election because he seemed so myopic. Even now, someone in this thread mentioned that in the latest episode he talked about how "everyone hates each other now" as if a certain segment of the population hasn't been hated because of their skin colour since independence...

wizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California
Maybe he feels as though he has nothing useful to contribute now that Trump is president. He's been one of those "both sides are the same" nonsense pushers for decades who also wanted some populist from outside of politics to come in, take over one of the parties and tear apart the old two party system.

Now that he got his wish, he's seeing how wrong he was about everything. He has never been "woke", so to speak, he's tone-deaf on racial issues and maddeningly conservative on topics such as guns, but he has principles and he uses them to justify his stances, which is why I listen to Common Sense in the first place. The Trump presidency and the multiple constitutional crises he's precipitating have him shook and I think it'll be a while until he finds his feet again politically.

Yeah I was really confused by his opinions on Sanders and Trump during the election. Whats his stance on firearms?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, there's a new show, apparently. Hardcore History: Addendum. Looks like it releases every couple of months, as opposed to once or twice a year.

Maybe Dan would rather do that than Common Sense.

My understanding of it is that, while Dan did want a non-establishment candidate to come in and tear things up, he was not gung ho on Trump. It seemed to me he was a Bernie supporter.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
He liked Bernie Sanders and, back in the day, Ron Paul. He has also interviewed Gary Johnson. He is a weird mishmash of the US political spectrum (which practically makes him a paleoconservative ideologue from where I stand), so no candidate will ever match him perfectly, but he's very much a "Jefferson has beliefs; Burr has none" type of voter in that he's very big on principles with a dim view of strategic voting or positioning.

Yeah I was really confused by his opinions on Sanders and Trump during the election. Whats his stance on firearms?
His stance is that they're so ingrained into American history, life and culture that there's no way to do anything about it. I remember him talking about how if the US were founded in an age where weapons on flags were an popular motif (some older countries have swords on their flags), the US flag would have had a gun or two on the design.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only made it an hour into this one so far. I set aside Carlin years ago after Common Sense was consistently awful, but I thought I'd give him another go. Unfortunately, this ep has just been maddening. All this stuff about "what if we broadcast some vicious shit wouldn't it be interesting to see if rich or poor people watched it more?"...

No, Carlin, that isn't an interesting idea to just insinuate and bloviate about. That wouldn't be science even if you did it.

And this business with the botched French torture / execution is weirdly credulous. Let's take one account of ladies looking on with indifference at face value and not really consider that the "indifference" is shell shock or horror?

Plus: a weird aside about how the Romans killed women in the colosseum and isn't that just so unspeakably worse than killing men?

So far, the episode has been working through a checklist of all of Carlin's worst impulses. With the added bonus of not teaching me anything about history? Grrreat.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I got through it. There were some interesting bits, but a lot of repetition and I found myself rolling my eyes several times at a lot of Carlin's conjecture.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is an old question, but is there a somewhat streamlined way to get purchased backlog episodes onto an Android phone? For such a huge podcast it seems odd that Dan doesn't have his own app or something to handle purchased content on the go.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think I'm going to finish this. It doesn't seem to have any of the narrative story telling that I enjoy Carlin for. Even on previous Blitz shows there's be a narrative flow, like the development of strategic bombing, or the nuke.

Plus, I'm a Protestant Christian, I don't need to listen to a 4.5 hour episode of Carlin describing torture to understand the depravity of man, haha.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about an hour in. I've never had an episode hold my attention so poorly. Is it just me? I keep zoning out on my drive home, even as he is describing gruesome acts of torture and execution. He meanders a lot in this episode, and needs to focus more on specific events and peoples. This is a rare miss for me, though I will definitely finish it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While I liked the episode, I think Dan should consider cutting down their runtimes and just releasing more frequently. Daniele releases 12-15 two-hour episodes per year. I'm starting to look forward to his show more than this one.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carlin is at his best as a story teller, not a philosopher.

Then again even his story telling has started to lose me a bit lately. I found King of Kings pretty boring, and Celtic Holocaust was too long.

Just find something interesting and tell me the story of it in a couple of hours. I feel like he's over thinking these book after Blueprint for Armageddon.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
It really worried me when he talked about how disappointed he was with Prophets of Doom. I thought that was such a great episode. It was a fascinating story with plenty of historical context and more importantly, it was very self-contained.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally listened to Painfotainment, and I felt that Carlin just moved from one period to another without much connective tissue in between them.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I think my biggest complaint is I never really felt at home with any "place" while we were talking about these executions. He needed more specific people and events to tall about. There were numerous times I was thinking, "where are we talking about?"

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeesh, that was an even weaker episode than the Celtic Holocaust. Felt like one of his early episodes only way more bloated.

Oct 27, 2017
His stance is that they're so ingrained into American history, life and culture that there's no way to do anything about it. I remember him talking about how if the US were founded in an age where weapons on flags were an popular motif (some older countries have swords on their flags), the US flag would have had a gun or two on the design.
This sounds perfectly accurate to me.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure I can finish Painfotainment. Really the weakest HH I think i've heard. Also not a fan of torture discussions, so this just isn't cutting it for me.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to the torture ep. Well listened in and out of it. Its an odd, Dan is trying to bring the human touch but felt he could have done that in a 30 min episode or less honestly.

Became very meandering.

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up to this nice surprise on my podcast feed. I like that he has created this new show for these shorter eps. I like getting more Carlin content. Its great getting an hour long episode every couple months rather than one three hour episode a year.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
London Real released a two hour and a half interview with Dan Carlin on their website: hhttps://londonreal.tv/e/dan-carlin

You can watch the first part on youtube if you don't wanna make yourself an account:

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Dan posted an update yesterday. Sounds like we might be getting a new episode within the next four weeks

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in love with this show. Started with Celtic Holocaust, then moved on to the WW1 one, then King of Kings (all fantastic!)

During King of Kings I decided I had to get them all. Bought the big bundle and it's been a bit of a pain to get them all on my iPhone, but I'm good now. These early shows are a bit rough but still quality. Can't wait to get to some of the more modern style ones.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in love with this show. Started with Celtic Holocaust, then moved on to the WW1 one, then King of Kings (all fantastic!)

During King of Kings I decided I had to get them all. Bought the big bundle and it's been a bit of a pain to get them all on my iPhone, but I'm good now. These early shows are a bit rough but still quality. Can't wait to get to some of the more modern style ones.
You have a lot of great content in the future. Death Throes of the Republic and Wrath of the Khans are my favorite series of his (along with Blueprint), while Prophets of Doom and Logical Insanity are absolutely fantastic one-offs

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
New ep!
http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-Supernova-in-the-East-i
The Asia-Pacific War of 1937-1945 has deep roots. It also involves a Japanese society that's been called one of the most distinctive on Earth. If there were a Japanese version of Captain America, this would be his origin story.
HH-62-cover-ep1-1400px-300x300.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw his "soon" tweet earlier but I didn't think it'd be this soon.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me: I wish Dan Carlin would tackle smaller projects.
Also me: the Asia Pacific war 1937-1945?Squeeeeeeeeee

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hell yes. It's always a glorious surprise when one of these things actually manages to come out. Can't wait to listen.