• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely did not know this shtick made anyone upset. As a lifelong fan of both his and of Star Wars OT, I absolutely love every single one of these encounters.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting to me that he seems to hate being associated w/ Star Wars but is still totally into Indiana Jones.

Ironically, I don't think that has been the case either. I bought a magazine in the mid 90s featuring an interview with Harrison, I can't for the life of me remember what magazine it was. But him commenting on Indy was on the cover and was the reason why I bought it, and the question was to the effect of "Will you ever dig the whip and hat out of the closet and play Indy again?" And he was totally not interested.

Imagine my surprise when they released that Crystal Skull announcement video with Spielberg, Karen, and him many years later and he was all smiles about playing Indy again.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Harrison Ford is a national treasure. I will never stop loving all the shade he throws at these movies. It's so great.

Oct 3, 2019
I have no problem with this. An actors job is to act, they have no obligation to care or pretend to care about the dumb nerd shit they're paid to be a part of, at least beyond the press tour BS.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, I don't think that has been the case either. I bought a magazine in the mid 90s featuring an interview with Harrison, I can't for the life of me remember what magazine it was. But him commenting on Indy was on the cover and was the reason why I bought it, and the question was to the effect of "Will you ever dig the whip and hat out of the closet and play Indy again?" And he was totally not interested.

Imagine my surprise when they released that Crystal Skull announcement video with Spielberg, Karen, and him many years later and he was all smiles about playing Indy again.
That's interesting. Clearly something changed because here he is planning to pick up the whip again for an Indy 5.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Ford is being deliberately obtuse for comedic effect.

- He knows what The Force is. He had lines about it in TFA. At the bare minimum he knows "Use The Force, Harry" like everyone else on the Planet Earth. It's magic. It's the specific brand of magic in the movies that he did.
- He knows what a ghost is. Everyone knows what ghosts are.
- A Force Ghost is, to any ignorant observer, a Magic Ghost.

The interviewer asks if the Han Solo that Ford portrayed in his most recent movie was a Magic Ghost or if he was a figment of Kylo Ren's imagination.

Ford says "I don't Star Wars. I don't know what a Force Ghost is."

He would have to know that a Force Ghost is something more than simply a Magic Ghost in order to suggest that there's something that he doesn't understand about the question.

He's playing with people. He's playing up his ignorance, and pretending that it's bigger than it actually is (there is an element of truth to the joke, as there is to all good jokes, because Ford has always been the least interested in the nerdy details of Star Wars out of any of the main cast).

I mean, he just said that he signed on to do the scene in Rise of Skywalker (which he could've incredibly easily said "No" to) because he felt it was important for Kylo Ren's character, so he is thinking about things (he didn't say "Who gives a shit?" and read some lines on a script for a paycheck, he seriously considered what was going on in the scene), and the report says that he "playfully" shot down the Force Ghost question. He's 100% playing here.
I don't think he ever said "I don't Star Wars". Not sure what you're talking about here but he clearly knows he's just an actor and it's not important for him to pay attention to lore or give the movies any more thought than is required. He also probably likes easy money, so doing a scene for money seems logical.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I always suspected that it was also in part because Harrison was already in his thirties when he found himself doing this goofy, Flash-Gordon bullshit. Mark and Carrie were just kids at the time. Harrison was already old enough to be jaded.

Meanwhile ol' Alec Guinness wanted to burn it all down daily...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Alec Guinness ever like Star Wars or was it just a big money job that got him interested?

I only remember him being annoyed people only knew him for Obi Wan.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he ever said "I don't Star Wars".
That was me paraphrasing Ford's flippant attitude towards nerddom.

Not sure what you're talking about here but he clearly knows he's just an actor and it's not important for him to pay attention to lore or give the movies any more thought than is required.
That's the thing. You don't need to know the lore to be able to parse what a "Force Ghost" is. It's incredibly simple. Him "not knowing" the lore of Force Ghosts implies that he knows that there's lore to not know. His statement of ignorance betrays his actual knowledge of the subject.

True ignorance would've assumed that a Force Ghost is just... a ghost.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could interview Harrison Ford.

I'd show up with a huge ass Star Wars shirt and then I wouldn't ask him a fucking thing about the goddamn movies.

Seriously though, I do celebrity interviews for a living (wish I could get to ask stuff to actors like him) and I take them very seriously, can't help but wince when I see interviewers trying to be cute/smart. Do your fucking job.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Has there ever been another actor so ungrateful and rude about the role that made them a success that they won't answer questions regarding It? Like Jesus, just fake it. You rich prick.

It's not cute when he acts like this, and I don't even care about Star Wars.

Can't blame him for wanting to distance himself from the Star Wars fandom, tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
Hamill and the late great FIsher were hounded about Star Wars just as much if not more than Ford and they still came off as civil and friendly (if not sassy and snarky in Fisher's case). Ford is just being an asshole.
Not being as gracious as two very different people with two very different careers doesn't make me personally view his response any differently. He's had to face the same shit for 40 years and doesn't give a fuck. No judgement from me.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Star Wars: we love you

Harrison Thanos: I don't even know who you are.

I do love him though and his disdain whether faux or genuine. It's always funny and he knows it either way, which is why he is so good.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
hanghost.jpg
I love it, he's at least on the level of ghost Anakin.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
That's just how he is, there's no anger or bitterness here. Just Harrison Ford being his own snarky self, brilliant.