• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Launched it for a few mins and was really surprised at how polished and clean it looks compared to Pokémon Go and Ingress v1. Was expecting something more rough around the edges at launch, but it looks really well done.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It begins. I'm curious how this will turn out in comparison to Pokemon Go.
No chance it'll hit Go's high. That was a movement, the dream made real. For half a year at least, the world WAS pokemon. Even now it's stronger than most mobile games. Harry Potter as a brand is strong but I don't think it's pokemon strong

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Won't even be close. I am a bigger fan of Harry Potter than Pokemon but after downloading and trying it a bit it's just bheen there done that. That and finding Pokemon in the world is just cooler than whatever random stuff we are finding here.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off the pokemon go wagon when my phone got stolen but I think I'll give this a try,

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It looks like the same Niantic 'thin veneer over the same AR gameplay' from the 15 minutes or so I've played around with it. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but other than the HP lore, I'm not sure what it brings to the table that Pokemon Go (or even Ingress/Ingress Prime) doesn't.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
It looks like the same Niantic 'thin veneer over the same AR gameplay' from the 15 minutes or so I've played around with it. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but other than the HP lore, I'm not sure what it brings to the table that Pokemon Go (or even Ingress/Ingress Prime) doesn't.

More or less where I'm at. Havent unlocked professions yet and that might switch things up but so far same old same old. that said the polish and graphics are amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
A direct appeal to Harry Potter fans that dropped Pokemon Go?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played it for a bit but haven't walked around at all in the real world. Seems more polished than Pokémon GO and is certainly packed with more features than GO had at launch. With that said, it seems really complicated and I'm not really sure what the main thing I should be doing is. Getting a heavy Ingress vibe in that sense. Definitely doesn't seem to have the simplicity of "just go catch some Pokémon." I'll give it a few more days/weeks before deciding if this is something I want to play long-term.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they actually got Radcliffe to voice Harry, I'm impressed

Edit: Maybe not? The first line sounded exactly like him, the subsequent ones not so much

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So there's a bug where when you try to run from an encounter, it pops up the prompt to buy more energy instead... so that's cool. Wasted a bunch of coins by clicking through it fast.

Not a fan of the energy system, went to the nearest Pokémon stop thinking it would recharge me. Nope, it was a fortress and not an inn. Finally found an inn and it gave me 10 energy, which I used pretty much immediately. Now I'm out of energy and have no motivation to go back to an inn.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
Does someone by any chance have an Apple ID from the US I could use? Made a fake one when Pokemon was out but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it again. So if you have a fake one I could use I'd very much appreciate it :)

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Been playing a bit and it's pretty ok. I'm down with AR games in general and I like HP a lot so I will probably play this for quite a long time.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I loaded it up.. honestly, I'm not sure how often I'll play it. I'm not writing it off immediately, but there is a lot going on here and I'm not really sure I want to deal with just how much is going on. If it is the only mobile game you play, it might be fine, but if it's a part of a stable... I dunno. The gameplay also does not seem to be especially conducive to playing while walking so the real world element is slightly lost. I didn't see any tangible benefit to walking around either but maybe they'll add that later or I just missed it.

Pokemon Go has a simple elegance to its "overworld" -- this thing feels like something closer to the map of a zoomed in video game and that loses the appeal of being based off a real world map IMO. I dunno, it just feels far too complicated to me. Pokemon Go is very simple to understand.. this seems like it will lose people fast because there is so much to follow.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unless I'm doing something wrong, I have the same issues I had with Pokemon Go. Went around and found nothing to battle against.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I think I'm done with this game already. It's just too hard to keep energy up and all the limitations on item storage just push you to microtransactions.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Okay, I figured out the walking component.. the portkey portmanteaus are under the suitcase. Some of the tracing does seem to be doable fairly easily while walking but others are pretty complex. Either way, even if you feel like you've done a damn good job it seems incredibly hard to get higher than "Good."

This game feels more like a regular video game than a mobile game. Some people might like that.. I'm not sure if I do. I certainly can't imagine many super casual people sticking with this though. It's overwhelming right off the bat.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I figured out the walking component.. the portkey portmanteaus are under the suitcase. Some of the tracing does seem to be doable fairly easily while walking but others are pretty complex. Either way, even if you feel like you've done a damn good job it seems incredibly hard to get higher than "Good."

This game feels more like a regular video game than a mobile game. Some people might like that.. I'm not sure if I do. I certainly can't imagine many super casual people sticking with this though. It's overwhelming right off the bat.
It gets easier when you hit level 5, and I assume higher levels. I used to have trouble but now I regularly get Greats and occasionally get Masterful. Part of that is probably just me getting used to it though too.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard the first impressions were pretty glitchy. Honestly, the more Rowling adds to the Wizarding World, the less I'm interested. I grew up loving Harry Potter, warts and all, and I even liked the first Fantastic Beasts, but some of the tidbits she's put out, as well as the general storyline of Cursed Child and how much of a mess I found Crimes of Grindelwald to be... bleh.

This game makes no sense in-universe, too. I think I read that they did write in a weird explanation for its events, but all the promotional material just said we'd be wandering around and fighting Dementors and Death Eaters, even though a major plot point in the books is maintaining secrecy surrounding magic. We're doing all this stuff in public and it makes no sense. Pokemon Go is a really obvious premise: Pokemon exist in the Pokemon world like animals in ours. A Pidgey wandering into a grocery store is totally normal. Wizards Unite, on the other hand... idk, I feel like the majority of peoples' reactions to hearing about it will be "oh neat! I love Harry Potter!" or "wait isn't magic secret?".

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I have the same issues I had with Pokemon Go. Went around and found nothing to battle against.

Maybe it depends on your area? I find that the more people are around, the more Pokemon spawn for random encounters, especially around Pokestops. It helps to be moving around, too--I get a lot more just driving slowly around a parking lot than if I leave the app open at my desk.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It crashes and wont let me open it. Not even a splash screen. I assume my phone isnt compatible?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me what the hook here is? Pokemon Go was Pokemon but in the real world, what is it here?

I think the basic gist is that, instead of Pokemon spawning you need to catch, there are weird "Counfoundables" that you need to defeat to send back in time? Or something? To keep magic a secret. But then there are inns and potions and greenhouses and a bunch of other stuff that the tutorial doesn't explain at all...

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
You're basically collecting random things from the Harry Potter world, like you can get a sticker for Luna Lovegood, and you can get a sticker for the Thunderbolt 3000 (?), etc. But you have to do little motions to "catch" them and add to your collection. But it's filled with F2P junk like energy (that you can only recharge at inns), and timers (that you can speed up with in-game currency, which coincidentally can be purchased with real money).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oh no that shitty "energies" again

hav6ocn664v01.jpg

Now I'm worried about the console game

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's worse because unless you visit a point of interest, your energy does not recover at all.

So...yeah. If you live in the country, you're SOL unless you feel like driving to refill your energy.
Yeah, I just don't get it. How can the energy not recharge? Yeah, Pokémon Go you had to have pokeballs otherwise you're SOL, but you're not limited to holding 75 at a time, and every stop/gym will give you more, not 1/3 of them like in this game.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Launched it for a few mins and was really surprised at how polished and clean it looks compared to Pokémon Go and Ingress v1. Was expecting something more rough around the edges at launch, but it looks really well done.
I loaded up Pokemon Go a few days ago after a long break and was surprised that it looks quite unpolished in some areas, e.g. text being too close to each other and very low-res images for item graphics, weather info, etc. They also didn't always take the Notch into consideration.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I agree that it seems overwhelming when you first start but I think it's just the large amount of terms you are expected to learn quickly and not so much the actual gameplay mechanics. But yeah, I ran out of energy playing at my desk and only came across 2 inns on the way home, recovering 4 energy. Went to a fortress and couldn't even finish a battle with that little energy.... they really badly need to revise the energy system.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's worse because unless you visit a point of interest, your energy does not recover at all.

So...yeah. If you live in the country, you're SOL unless you feel like driving to refill your energy.

Lol, it would be cheaper to buy the energies and don't waste gasoline

What were they thinking???

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The production values are 1 to 2 levels above Chinpokomon go. Uses music from movies 1 to 3, which is the John Williams good shit. Some of the stops didn't transfer. At home so I got hagrid and there's nothing else.

I'm really not looking for another mobile game but I figured I would check it out.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah energy is basically pokeballs. Ingress method would make more sense though. Random floating energy, so even without being next to a stop you can still recover some small amount.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yeah, this game is a lot smoother than Go was, you can tell they put a lot of work into it

even on my older phone it runs really well

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it seems overwhelming when you first start but I think it's just the large amount of terms you are expected to learn quickly and not so much the actual gameplay mechanics. But yeah, I ran out of energy playing at my desk and only came across 2 inns on the way home, recovering 4 energy. Went to a fortress and couldn't even finish a battle with that little energy.... they really badly need to revise the energy system.

It's definitely a lot of terms thrown at you. I only dabbled for a few minutes, so I might have missed it, but I didn't see a button that explained what Inns and Greenhouses and Fortresses were the way that Gyms have them in Pokemon Go. It looks like there are a few extra mechanics that PoGo doesn't have but Wizards Unite doesn't seem to explain, though. Like, the image/sticker system seems to be like the Medals (but we can get multiples of the same image? Do we get more if it's an image we only need 1 of...?), and the daily challenges are the same as the research tasks (only they reset daily and you have to do all of them in one single day?), and the Portmanteaus are Eggs, but then there are the potion ingredients and greenhouses that don't seem to be explained, and it looked like there were a ton of other items you could combine that weren't just potion ingredients and had no tutorials...

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
As a huge Pokémon and Harry Potter fan, I just don't see the point in playing this over Pokémon Go. I can only play one game at a time (at least on my iphone 8, whenever I switch back and forth between intensive apps it has to reload the entire app) and it's a lot more exciting to catch Pokémon and fight in gyms than...whatever this is. I've already got HP Hogwarts Mystery to keep my Harry Potter itch scratched, I don't think I need this.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

It won't dethrone Go in part because enthusiast go players like myself already have that game for the next 4 years, and I've seen how niantic milks it with absurd things like a dozen regional exclusives and released pokemon that only show up super rare or after spending $20 on egg incubators.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Harry Potter being available in UK of all places at least makes sense.

I'm also guessing they might not have the translations ready yet.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah energy is basically pokeballs. Ingress method would make more sense though. Random floating energy, so even without being next to a stop you can still recover some small amount.

I'm very interested to see if they stick with this and don't change it. If they do the 72-96 hour drop off of players is going to be monstrous. I got about 2-4 energy per check in so at 75 that means I need to a minimum of 20 stops just to get a full refill. What the hell were they thinking?