• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This has only happened once to me. Samurai Jack season 5. Would like to hear your experiences

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Does a sequel series like Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean count?

Because its up there. Its so fucking bad.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping the Psych movie is gonna be really good. Even if it's not, there's no way it'll ruin my love for the show.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean would retroactively make me dislike the series?

I suppose Heroes: Reborn made me realize more and more how bad the original Heroes was and I just didn't notice. TV superheroes and genre stuff well surpassed that original show, it's unwatchable now for me and seeing only a few episodes of the revival made me come to terms on it.

I will also throw in Gilmore Girls in that I watched the revived season having never seen the original run and it really, really, really made me not want to watch the original run.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Does a sequel series like Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean count?

Because its up there. Its so fucking bad.

I just finished watching Eureka Seven when I saw it recommended on the old place. I've only read a Wikipedia article and from the synopsis I read I'm glad I didn't watch AO straight away after the original like I was planning. I'm gonna keep my original vision of the show intact for life.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How did Samurai Jack ruin the rest of the series? I didn't really like the ending, but it was still great animation.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the new season of Arrested Development was pretty damn bad. Nothing really taints prior experiences for me though.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly started watching The X-Files because I wanted to know what was going on in the revival, and then the revival rendered all of the previous seasons pointless.

I wouldn't say the Samurai Jack revival completely ruined the rest of the series for me, but it did totally kill the sense I had of the world being massive, which was one of my favorite things about the original.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Most revivals or sequels that happen decades later turn out bad.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But did the new Futurama ruin the earlier episodes for you?

I can't really think of an example for me.
Kind of? It has the same effect as The Simpsons, where before, when I would catch a random episode on TV, I'd likely watch it, but now there's a significant chance that it's a bad episode, so I don't bother.

Otherwise, no. The only show I can think of where an episode is so bad that it retroactively makes its predecessors unwatchable is HIMYM, but that isn't really a revival situation.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sailor Moon Crystal almost killed the entire series to me. Toei really dropped the ball with that one.

At least they redeemed themselves and the series with the Infinity arc adaptation.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah, if a revival sucks I just pretend it doesn't exist in my headcanon. Seems silly to me that it could "ruin" what came before unless it somehow completely changed the context.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Prison Breaks revival was awful. Ruined what was a perfect end to the series. Didn't even get through Season 5 it was so bad.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing ever retroactively makes me dislike previous content. But that Heroes revival did make me realize how much the original show doesn't hold up, especially in the saturated super hero market. Rather than evolve, the revival just mimicked the original show and that kind of story teasing and low budget power use just doesn't fly anymore.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing Samurai Jack's ending is a lot less satisfying than any of the near-returns he has throughout the series harms it. Shit, the episode with the Guardian is one of the series' best, with the ending being a prophecy that eventually never came true.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm of the idea that if something is good, there's no sequel / revival / remake that can ruin it. The thing stays the same.
So no, never happened to me, even though I was deeply disappointed by X-Files' tenth season.
Twin Peaks 3 is outstanding, and I even loved Arrested Development 4 (kind of a misunderstood attempt imho).

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
No, never. Worst case scenario I just ignore the new material.
Same here. Lucky in that regard that no show has been ruined like that for me

That's the only that comes to mind for me as well. Didn't they lose all their writers for season 4? It just felt off.
I'm not sure about the writer but at the very least, the creator wasn't there anymore. He probably wrote episodes too though. Not sure about any other writers. Was that really a revival? Either way that season was total shit.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I thought the new season of Arrested Development was pretty damn bad. Nothing really taints prior experiences for me though.
Yeah same. Really disliked the Netflix revival of Arrested Development. Super disjointed and often unfunny. Not sure how they thought green screening people into scenes together would actually work. And the way the episodes focused on single characters ruined the original dynamic. This is what happens when you can't get your cast on the same shooting schedule but go forward with it anyways.

Also agreed that it doesn't change my love for the original series.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily, but I didn't like how the Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life ended. I mean, I know that's how Amy Palladino intended to end the original series, but I'm still bummed out since it didn't feel proper or final.

Also, I wish Jess had more screentime in the limited series.

Still glad we got more Gilmore Girls, but eh . . . My opinions are mixed. Even though Season 7 was a train wreck, I prefer its ending over the latest.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
Prison Break for me. Twice!

The last season (chasing Scylla) was a real slog, absolutely terrible but redeemed by an absolutely heartbreaking ending.

Then they did a TV movie which sabotaged it completely. Then last year's revival as well which offered absolutely nothing of note! It couldnt even offer the delight of seeing Lincoln and Michael back on screen together as The Flash had already beaten them to the punch!

The first two seasons were of outrageous quality, it's a shame what it become.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Also, even though the latest Twin Peaks has its flaws, I really did enjoy it for the most part, and I'm proud to say that I got to watch the show live during my lifetime (as I was born in '96).

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I'm able to separate diferent versions of a property and enjoy them on their own merits so no, I don't think something I've enjoyed could be retro actively ruined. Take the twin peaks revival for example I enjoyed it as a continuation but I can also entertain it as its own thing so even the inconsistent parts don't bother me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything can ever be so bad that it ruins something that I loved before. With that said, the Digimon Tri revival was pretty goddamn awful.
A lot of people despise the Eva Rebuild series. Personally, I'm a fan.
I love 'em. If I ever feel like watching that show, the anime is still there and it's movie but it's cool to see a completely new take on those characters and that world. I can't wait to see what crazy new shit happens in the fourth film since the third is all new stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes
X-Files(slightly)

Not technically the same but Once Upon a Time's S7 soft reboot has potential to ruin everything if it wants to push extremes.