• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the infamous Tidus and Yuna laughing scene, a cute little bonding moment between the two that once made me winced so hard I had to pull myself away from the tv screen physically. When I replayed the game and someone else entered the room during that scene, I'd die of embarrassment. Now of course thinking back, the scene made more sense in context but it was still quite awkward. Has any newer games contain moments that come close to or surpass it?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, it was supposed to be awkward for everyone including the other teammates. I dunno why people are so obsessed with pointing out the point of the scene. That was obvious to me just watching the scene straight out

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was supposed to be awkward for everyone including the other teammates. I dunno why people are so obsessed with pointing out the point of the scene. That was obvious to me just watching the scene straight out

"No but it made people cringe!!! Who cares if it was written that way!!"

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It was supposed to be many things, but awkwardness was the only thing that came through. And you can have a scene that tries to be awkward inside the story, be awkward because they failed.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that despises FFX, the laughing scene is fine in context.

Star Ocean 4 nappy time

Peebee flirt scenes in Andromeda were awkward af

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yall are forgetting that a fully voiced RPG was an extreme rarity back then, it was pretty pioneering for the early 2000's.

You would think that because of that we would cut the game some slack and instead appreciate what a tremendous effort it was and marvel at how well 95% of the voice acting went, but nah, lets focus on the negative, as always.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It was supposed to be many things, but awkwardness was the only thing that came through. And you can have a scene that tries to be awkward inside the story, be awkward because they failed.

I mean, i didn't think that anything really failed, the intent came through to me. It was right after Tidus found out the truth from Auron after all and he was trying to let off his steam.

I mean i get its funny to say "lol look at some of the awkward voice acting from the first voice acting gig of FF" but it gets annoying hearing the same stuff over and over again. Like arrow to the knee jokes

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One naive idiot compells his depressed summoner friend to force a laugh, in spite of the weight of the world on her shoulders. Like Tidus, the chocobo minigame, the Yu Yevon fight, or whatever else from Final Fantasy X its actually aged better than you think it has.

Plus it gave us this:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a scene in Yakuza 5 where a prison convict sees a preteen female for the first time in decades and its weird.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Any Jrpg in the 90s or early ps2 era had more cringe dialogue

The Star Ocean Franchise is worse

XB2 Rex yelling was cringe

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
This scene is so awkward it's genius.
One of the reasons FFX is one of the best games ever !

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Yall are forgetting that a fully voiced RPG was an extreme rarity back then, it was pretty pioneering for the early 2000's.

You would think that because of that we would cut the game some slack and instead appreciate what a tremendous effort it was and marvel at how well 95% of the voice acting went, but nah, lets focus on the negative, as always.

Oh darling. The op said many things, but he didnt say any negative things about this. He said "awkward" but does awkwardness mean negativity? I dont agree. Just because the scene is considered awkward by many people, it doesnt mean the scene is rated negative by the same people.

There is another example from Hang The Dj

When the woman meets the man for the first time, their encounter is very awkward and cringey and it makes me want to close my eyes with my hands. But i dont find it negative because that's the intention of the writer/director

Edit: i falsely quoted a wrong person. Sorry

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Laughing thing is so overblown, it's fine in context. But to each is own.

outside that it has the subtlety of a monster truck, I guess ? The whole scene is a bad idea regardless of context

Any Jrpg in the 90s or early ps2 era had more cringe dialogue

The Star Ocean Franchise is worse

XB2 Rex yelling was cringe

Not really. Except for Game Arts games at most. We had Koudelka that was fully voiced in the same period and it was leagues above FF10 in the PS1 era. Star Ocean pre-4 was far more solid too.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I never found that scene to be awkward OP. Understood that Tidus was trying to cheer Yuna up in a goofy way and actually thought it was endearing. Gotta agree with some of the posters though, hearing the voice acting now makes it sound really bad.

As for other awkward moments, and as much as I love FFXV, I always thought that this scene was poorly done in terms of... anything.

To be fair I did say ones that I have played. I have played and will probably never play xenoblade 2
Right. I was only showing you the light.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Complaints of the scene's awkwardness have always baffled me, as that awkwardness is the entire point of the scene.

Any moment with excessive fan service killed me as a kid if my mom or dad walked upstairs while I was playing. There was a really close call with the God of War sex scene that almost killed me and got the PlayStation taken away lol. Maybe that's more situational awkwardness than is intrinsic to the scenes, but that's what came to mind.

Maybe the dinner dance from Infinite Undiscovery?

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand opens with 50 Cent robbing some dude who had just been robbed, taking his priceless artifact, and then immediately sharing an awkward car ride where they make idle chit chat about how the real "gangsters" live in this unnamed, war torn middle eastern country.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Complaints of the scene's awkwardness have always baffled me, as that awkwardness is the entire point of the scene.

I was about to say the same thing. It's meant to be awkward. The point is that they're forcing themselves to laugh because Tidus is a goofball who is just trying to cheer Yuna up.

If I remember correctly, the rest of the party looks at them like, "What are these idiots doing?"

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, i didn't think that anything really failed, the intent came through to me. It was right after Tidus found out the truth from Auron after all and he was trying to let off his steam.

I mean i get its funny to say "lol look at some of the awkward voice acting from the first voice acting gig of FF" but it gets annoying hearing the same stuff over and over again. Like arrow to the knee jokes

I agree that this horse has been kicked enough already... probably a decade ago.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say the same thing. It's meant to be awkward. The point is that they're forcing themselves to laugh because Tidus is a goofball who is just trying to cheer Yuna up.

If I remember correctly, the rest of the party looks at them like, "What are these idiots doing?"

Intent and execution are two different things. Whatever the intent of that scene, the execution is...well, let's say "lacking."

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
outside that it has the subtlety of a monster truck, I guess ? The whole scene is a bad idea regardless of context

Tidus, an idiot, tries to cheer up his summoner friend by laughing like an idiot and forcing her to laugh too. Go figure it works.

Not that it even needs to be subtle, the scene makes a lot more sense in retrospect because Tidus still doesn't know Yuna is on a suicide mission, but it allows Yuna to cheer up a bit because shes borrowing a moment of Tidus's ignorance and laughing in spite of the tremendous sadness in the world (a recurring theme of the game).

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
I exploded out of laughter, I forgot about this !!! This should be in a museum

raf,750x1000,075,t,ff4c00:b001c7b98d.u2.jpg

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The FFX one is pretty iconic. I think everyone that's played the game is painfully aware the scene is intentionally awkward and bad sounding, but intentionally unpleasant is still unpleasant at the end of the day. Especially if the gap between the normal performances and the ironically bad performances is really not all that big. Still, I think we've got more worthy examples of awkward scenes that don't devolve into thematically appropriate, awkward discussions about people "not getting it". Looks like Star Ocean 4 has been covered already, and it's the crown jewel of this shit. The game itself itself is mostly fine, but holy hell the cutscenes test your extremities of your patience.

I should note though that there is a type of flavour of badness that I do enjoy quite a lot. Devil May Cry's "I should have been the one who filled your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiight" and Mega Man X4's "What am I fighting fooooooooooor?" are pretty bad, but I think they have a certain passion and earnestness to them that I find really endearing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever understand the hate for that FFX scene.

Also, Star Ocean 4 is cheating... They named a guy Edge Maverick.

EDIT:
As for other awkward moments, and as much as I love FFXV, I always thought that this scene was poorly done in terms of... anything.

Right. I was only showing you the light.

Luna's death scene is even worse imo. Such an awkwardly put together scene, especially the hilarious reaction shot of Noctis.

hgDpEpO.jpg

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that matched and exceeded it in awkwardness are some people's reaction to it.
Ah, the infamous Tidus and Yuna laughing scene, a cute little bonding moment between the two that once made me winced so hard I had to pull myself away from the tv screen physically. When I replayed the game and someone else entered the room during that scene, I'd die of embarrassment. Now of course thinking back, the scene made more sense in context but it was still quite awkward. Has any newer games contain moments that come close to or surpass it?

Tbh this made me cringe more than the laughing scene, which was totally fine. One of the most iconic and heartfelt scenes in gaming ever. This is why you'll always remember it, and say, not any of Geralt's interactions with women in his game. I wish more video game characters had whimsical interactions like that.