• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The prequels have a boatload of memes. People probably remember the memes better than they do the movies at this point.

Hello there, the high ground, take a seat, GENERAL KENOBI, that's... why I'm here, now THIS is pod-racing, you underestimate my power, NO NO NOOOOOO, I am the senate, there's SO MANY memes from these movies that everyone has probably seen multiple versions of hundreds of times over by this point.

Anakin-you-cant-just-replace-every-normal-meme-with-a-prequel-meme.jpg

I saw this one today and it's probably true. I bet you could prequel meme most normal memes with almost no effort.

Why did these movies get meme'd so hard? Why are prequel memes so proliferous? Has any other movie or TV show reached such legendary status in the meme world?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Star Wars memes.

They're coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like the prequel memes, for their innumeracy, don't get shared much outside of the communities that make them. I want something at least closer to spongebob levels of omnipresence.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The prequels have a boatload of memes. People probably remember the memes better than they do the movies at this point.

Hello there, the high ground, take a seat, GENERAL KENOBI, that's... why I'm here, now THIS is pod-racing, you underestimate my power, NO NO NOOOOOO, I am the senate, there's SO MANY memes from these movies that everyone has probably seen multiple versions of hundreds of times over by this point.

Anakin-you-cant-just-replace-every-normal-meme-with-a-prequel-meme.jpg

I saw this one today and it's probably true. I bet you could prequel meme most normal memes with almost no effort.

Why did these movies get meme'd so hard? Why are prequel memes so proliferous? Has any other movie or TV show reached such legendary status in the meme world?
Because they're objectively bad movies, from a critical perspective. Easily lends to smooth meme transitions.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the memes, but the womemes and the childremes, too.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I think there is no other movie saga with this meme following.

Imagine there's two of them! That would get out of hand!

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Now that r/prequelmemes is a thing, creating memes for the Star Wars prequels is a meme in itself, so no, absolutely not. Obviously modern films are being memed as they enter the popular social streams like Infinity War, but no, nothing's been as long lasting as the prequels.

I also imagine it's the generation that share and create memes most ubiquitously that also grew up on the prequels, so even though the films are pretty clearly rubbish, there's a fondness for them that goes hand in hand with the playful and overwhelmingly specific ribbing of these memes.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
SW memes are still going strong, Batman and LOTR ain't.

While not a movie, Simpsons is the only correct choice.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The clap back from a generation finding ironic outlet for their love of a film series that was pushed on them to an absolutely smothering degree by an ungodly marketing budget in the face of an older generation loudly rejecting it is a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
7VE.gif

Mind you I like to think you could make an army's load of meme out of Pulp Fiction, but this one is the stand out.

Other than playing Guess Who with Samuel L. Jackson...

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I actually thought The Dark Knight Rises had a cool intro when I saw it in theatres.