• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I never owned one but I remember DC having some really awesome games during that first year in NA.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well it definitely has two of the highest rated games within the first year. I still have yet to get Mario Kart but I'm getting Odyssey. But that third party list is not impressive to me at all no matter how you try to spin it.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't think of a better first year than this.

I'd take the Switch's 2017 library over the entire Wii U library in a heartbeat. It's amazing.

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
If anything that list doesn't give the Switch enough credit! Let's not forget the exclusive and amazing Golf Story.

Just finished, so good. It was a two man team right? Fantastic job.

It has been a great year for the Switch and even if many games are ports the fact that they are on this "portable" device gives them really new life. They don't feel like a standard port.

Oct 25, 2017
Even going into this launch with a hint of how gigantic BotW was rumoured to be, I looked at the year-one Switch lineup and told myself: I've been through launches before, I know how they're paced, I know to fully expect as an early adopter that after the big launch game I'll put the system aside for 6-9 months before it gets interesting, and retreat to my backlog to fill the void. That's how it works; that's how it always works.

Then the Switch hit me with a Zelda that had the longevity of four or five other Zelda games put together, plus three online first-party entries (if you count MK8D, which wasn't new to me) that are already, historically, my most-played online fighter, my most-played online shooter, and my most-played online racer. And then there were the holdover arcade experiences like Graceful Explosion Machine and Puyo Puyo Tetris to keep me busy. And then the system hit me with that stupid August-to-October budget/indie run, which cemented the Switch as not only a PC supplement but (for certain genres) a PC replacement, and also caught me off guard with the ultimate unicorn, a good Sonic game. It's already my most-played dedicated device from any calendar year since I began to keep records.

I'm from that Wii U user base and traditional Nintendo core that never particularly cared if Nintendo platforms had third-party support or not; it was somebody else's problem that made no difference to me, and I have a PC for that. But it's made all the difference this year by keeping my system active from one big release to the next, and a large part of that is in how the third-party library actually caters to me for the first time, in a way that western AAA multiplats never did. The Wii was my previous benchmark for a great launch year on the first-party front (TP, Wii Sports, FE10, Super Paper Mario, Strikers Charged, Prime 3, and just beyond the one-year boundary, Galaxy). Like the Switch, it benefited from the deliberate late-life evacuation of its predecessor and the strategic decision to bump software to a new platform. But this time around we have a totally different environment where broad acceptance of digital distribution, the quality/quantity/availability of games in the $20 bracket, and Nintendo's successful liaising with small studios in a mature indie market (and notably, developers like Yacht Club and Image & Form that are a good fit for the core culture) have all come together to hold the back line.

All of these factors needed to converge at once, and unlike the 3DS or Wii U they were all in place from day one. I don't think it can be emphasized enough that the Switch has raised the value perception of what indie games are worth, against the tide of the mobile race to the bottom and the oversaturation on Steam, and that might actually emerge as the most important legacy of the platform's strong start.

It probably doesn't look all that different from past Nintendo systems if western AAA multiplats are your bag, though. Without the digital library in the $20 zone, and subtracting the extreme anomaly that is Mario + Rabbids, this segment just amounts to a handful of sports franchises that don't even look like they're doing all that well. But then again, I'm saying this before the big Bethesda ports have landed.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has no one mentioned the Dreamcast? Tons of arcade perfect ports and diverse genres.

Sonic adventure
Crazy taxi
Soul calibur
Power stone
Virtual on
Dead or alive 2
Chi chu rocket
Marvel vs capcom 1 & 2
King of fighters 99
NBA 2k
NFL 2k
House of the dead 2
Street fighter alpha 3
Seaman
Space channel 5
Virtual fighter 3 tag

I'm super happy for Nintendo, but the Dreamcast burned very bright as well in year 1.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Two generational games in the first seven months is incredible. It's great to see Nintendo cruising again, and they seemed to have learned from the Wii U's mistakes, pumping out a quality first party title nearly on a monthly basis.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast and PS2 (if we extend it to like the first 14 months) are contenders.

Though even with a lot of the Switch exclusives not being my cup of tea, the line-up has been extraordinary on an objective level.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
The first year technically isn't even over until March. That's the crazy part to me.

I think the first few months were a bit drafty but since summer there have definitely been no punches pulled at all.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'll be in the minority but in terms of Nintendo games I still like the Wii more with zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy. This is assuming I like galaxy more than odyssey which maybe the case cause I love galaxy style levels more than exploration style levels. I think TPis much better than BOTW. And I don't think any other game even xenoblade will be as good as MP3.

And if you start to talk third party games its not even close to what some PSs had.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh some of the games in the OP strike me as typical first year fodder. But Zelda, Mario, Rabbids, Splatoon, Mario Kart and many of the indies legitimately make this an amazing year. I won't argue against it being the best launch year line up.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
PS2 was rough in the first year, especially the first 9 months. I remember buying that ... fireworks game because I was desperate for something else to play.

Especially if you consider the REAL first year started on May 2000, the Japanese release. System really didn't pick up with it's heavy-hitters until Fall 2001. I had it since Japanese release, played my Dreamcast way more for a solid year.

But, answering the topic question, without a fucking doubt. The Switch is on a very fast trajectory to being the best Nintendo console. It's about my favorite already.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
We have 2 potential GOTGs in the first 7 months.
Yeah, nothing compares.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Wii in its first year was fantastic by my account. Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Strikers Charged Football made up one of my best ever years in gaming. It's a shame that after the second half of 2008, Wii's momentum petered out and I barely picked anything up for it afterwards.

Switch is shaping up to be a close second competitor. I've yet to purchase one, but I'm looking at my games-to-buy list and Switch's line-up is looking mighty. My only concern is that Switch's momentum also tapers after next year similar to the Wii, and we only really get two years of A-game Nintendo. But with them cutting out having to support a second platform quite soon, I think that won't be the case.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it's the best, but it really is amazing. I've spent a lot more money on Switch games, and spent a lot more time playing my Switch, than I ever thought I would.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I'll say it has the best first year but it's definitely up there.

All of their first party outputs were amazing (other than 1-2 Switch) and there are many titles in horizon that looks promising.

With such brilliant concept and amazing output, I'm glad to be Switch owner right now.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch has had such a good year I'd completely forgotten that it only came out in March.

It's incredible really.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
The Switch got 2 GotG contenders in its first year with Zelda and Mario.
Thats a standout feature I haven't seen anywhere before.

The lineup beyond that is fairly standard though.

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how the rest of the first year shapes up.
We're less than 8 months in so 4 months remain. I don't think we have any dates but it would be weird if we didn't get anything until March.
Maybe Yoshi and Kirby.

Also wonder how XC2 will turn out. If it's a sequel to the first game fixing its issues while advancing the tech side it could be great, but it could also be a rushed out project.
If it is at least good as the first one that would be pretty nuts. We still have Zelda DLC; kind of hoping they hold that off till January or something.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the best first year for me. It usually takes me a few years to jump on a system. For example, I didn't buy the 3DS until the XL came out. However, I was on board immediately with the Switch. It just keeps on giving.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering this exact thing to myself as I was looking at the Odyssey review thread. I've been gaming since the SNES and I'm not sure I can remember a launch period of this quality.

I think the Switch has the longest "to buy" list of any system I've ever owned.

Timmy

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Im really interested to see what comes up next year since the two big heavy hitters I buy a Nintendo system for are already out this year.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hard to say best, but it's damn well made itself an overwhelmingly positive and rewarding purchase for me and there's still some major games yet to come out and we don't even know what the first quarter of next year could hold.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly the best I've seen. Closest thing to it wold probably be the GBA I guess. Never got the fuss over the PS2's line-up, sure GTA 3 was good (for its time) and MGS2 was great, but other than that...eh.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
They wholly sacrificed the final year+ of WiiU development to do so.
It would have been a farce if it wasn't spectacular.
Mario and Zelda are pulling most of the weight, as expected.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is great right now, but Dreamcast felt like an amazing launch/first year back then.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii comes close with Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Raving Rabbids, RE4, Super Paper Mario, Prime 3, Galaxy, Batallion Wars 2 and an active virtual console in year 1.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has indeed had an awesome first year in terms of quality, but I think part of it's amazing first year stems from how soon they gave up focusing their resources on Wii U game development and moving forward with the Switch. Because of this they probably had quite a bit of time to make sure they had all these solid amazing games ready for year 1.

Now the PS4 on the other hand didn't have a great first year at all, but if Sony decided instead to release The Last of Us, GT6, Puppeteer, Beyond Two Souls and GoW Ascension as launch/1st year titles only on the PS4 and not the PS3, it would have been a much different 1st year for the PS4 with good diversity in the lineup despite not all those games achieving critical acclaim.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really see the "abandoning Wii U early" thing.
They fully supported a failure of a console for over 4 years.
2016 had like 6 first party games on it as well.
BOTW still released on it as well.

Both Wii U and 3DS had a 3D Mario in its first year so Odyssey doesn't stand out as being built for Wii U and the moved for Switch either.

ARMs felt made for the joy con as well.

Splatoon 2 had no business being on Wii U either since Nintendo usually doesn't release sequels to those types of games so soon/on the same platform.

I'm pretty sure you can say "the line up was bolstered by reworking previous gen titles for the new console" about any system in any case

Oct 26, 2017
It's ridiculous. I've never bought so many games for the Switch as I have this past year. This should fare well for future years when Nintendo pumps out more games from multiple series. I'd love to see another Mario and Zelda.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the games were built for the Wii U and then switched, but if the Wii U had a lot more commercial success, perhaps they decide to develop those games for the Wii U to begin with. However, whenever they started development for Arms or this new Mario, and thinking about their new system in the works, it makes a lot more sense to just say let's put everything behind making these games for the Switch and giving it an awesome 1st year line up.

If 50 - 60 million Wii Us are in consumer's homes, do they still develop those games for the Switch, maybe, maybe not. In Sony's situation, you have 60 million plus PS3s in consumer's homes, so it makes sense on their end that they developed all those games for the PS3 and not the PS4, but if they released instead as PS4 launch titles it would be a pretty impressive launch lineup.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
For their hardcore fans, it's a slam dunk and a half. As of right now though, the library definitely lacks the diversity of the PS2's launch year.

Personally: as a primarily RPG-focused gamer, the fact that the only major RPG for the Switch in 2017 is a sequel to a Wii U game I actively despised is kind of depressing.

Hopefully next year will be better!

Yeah, it definitely doesn't have a substitute for Fantavision or The Bouncer ;)

In all seriousness though, when has a new platform had a bunch of actually good RPGs available in its first year? Those always seem to come later. This is an honest question though, I'm really curious.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it definitely doesn't have a substitute for Fantavision or The Bouncer ;)

In all seriousness though, when has a new platform had a bunch of actually good RPGs available in its first year? Those always seem to come later. This is an honest question though, I'm really curious.

It's a good question. I'm trying to think of an example and I think it might just be portable systems. Consoles are almost always slow to get major RPGs, with FFX probably being the earliest example of a marquee JRPG hitting a new console.

In other words, it's not really Switch's fault it doesn't have any big RPGs this year. But it is a pretty large hole in the lineup nonetheless, especially if you aren't super excited by the stuff they've put out this year.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It really didn't, though. None of the early heavy-hitters for PS2 came out in its first year.

This depends entirely on how you're looking at the PS2's first year. Are you judging it from when it released in Japan or in the west? I'd assume most here are judging it from the west. In which case the PS2's first year would include SSX, Onimusha, Klonoa 2, Cookies & Cream, Twisted Metal Black, GT3, Silent Hill 2, ICO, Devil May Cry, GTA3 etc. And every single one of those were exclusive to the platform at the time. I don't think there's a platform in history that has as much revisionist history of its first year (again depending on where you view that first year as starting) as the PS2. There's a very real perception that the PS2's first year was horrible, which obviously doesn't match the actual game output when you look at the games released in its first year after it launched in the west.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The Switch

Though the PS2 had DMC, GTA3 and GT3 plus more... Both MGS2 and FFX launched just weeks after the 1-year anniversary of NA PS2 launch or else I'd say the PS2 without question.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 2 switch is the real goty

Its the probably the best in recent memory, but a lot are either ports of wii u games (MK8D, Pokken, Splat2n), not so great games like bomberman and 1 2 swtich, and an overhyped botw
As far has Nintendo is concerned and alot of the switches user base, these wii u ports are new games. Because not alot of poeple bought them unfortunately.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
PS2 was damn good too.

PSVRs has been phenomenal as well. Really surprised me

ed-lover-cmonson.jpg

Sendou

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's been pretty great to be an early adopter with this system. We don't really know about the games releasing early 2018 either.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably. If we had gotten a Pokemon or Smash port this year it would have sealed it.

End of PS2's first year was what made that year. Launch was fine, but the ten months between that and GTA3, DMC, etc were long.

360 had a pretty good first year with Oblivion, Dead Rising, and Gears, but they were pretty well spaced out.