• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely when it comes to quality titles (I find BOTW to be boring personally but its critical reception shows). Hopefully they could do it throughout its lifespan especially that a lot 3rd party seems to ignoring it again, though its a lot better compared to WiiU years.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly had a fantastic 1st year, It kinda reminds me of the SNES when it comes to the quality of their own franchise's entries. Anyone remember how bad the launch line up was received just a couple of months ago?

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
The OG Xbox had a pretty good first year. Halo was a massive exclusive. You had games like DOA3, Buffy, Deathrow and JSRF. It had some solid PC ports like Morrowind and Max Payne too along with some better versions of PS2 ports. But unfortunately for the Xbox the momentum PS2 had was crazy that year. It wasn't enough and it still missed out on a lot of games. The lack of GTA3 was a huge blow. But it does deserve some credit when it comes to that first year library.

The buzz around the Switch seems a lot better. Having two megaton games (one Nintendo exclusive and one Switch exclusive) this quick is absolutely crazy. People also love playing games on it. So I'd still give the Switch the edge.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In all seriousness though, when has a new platform had a bunch of actually good RPGs available in its first year? Those always seem to come later. This is an honest question though, I'm really curious.

Major RPGs that came out within a year of the system's release in NA: Final Fantasy IV (SNES), Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
Major RPGs that came out in the second year of the system's release in NA: Lunar: Silver Star (Sega CD), Final Fantasy X (PS2), Grandia 2 (Dreamcast), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

Probably some I'm missing, but it's fairly rare to get major RPGs early in a platform's life. Getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Mario + Rabbids in the first year puts the Switch far ahead of the average (assuming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is good).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue it's a sequel to a Wii game whose spin-off you actively despised.

In addition, there's Disgaea 5 and Golf Story already out. And Skyrim is coming in November if you haven't already bought it 20 times before now.

EDIT: And since we're talking year 1, Octopath Traveler might make it.

Yeah, I've already finished Disgaea 5 on PS4, sadly. It would've been my first purchase without question otherwise, but I don't re-buy Disgaeas. Just too much effort to redo everything!

And Golf Story is actually the only other Switch game I own aside from Splatoon 2. If Octopath comes out this year, I'll snag it. The demo was intriguing enough.

But Xenoblade 2 is going to need to work really, really hard to overcome how much I hated X. I'm not even considering it an option until it's out and I'm able to get confirmation from people I trust that it isn't just otaku-bait.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 had a better first year by far. Switch is doing well though.
Nah, it wasn't great and its why the DVD meme came about back then we even had countless threads about it. I watched a lot of DVD's that year in fact it was my second dvd player and for many their first affordable one at the time.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't remember a system I was this entertained by year one. I picked up the PS4 immediately and while I was ridiculously excited for the future of the console, it didn't have a first year like the Switch did..

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hate Nintendo doomsaying, but the Switch launch year had to be as explosive as it has been. The way I see it, without that hype, that mindshare, and the content to back it up, Nintendo would simply be back to "Okay" status. And if posting in videogame forums has ever taught me anything, it's that "Okay" is never okay.

That said, a few of these listed are enhanced ports from last generation. Not just simultaneous release, like with the PS360 stuff going into PS4/XBONE, but actual year + old ports.

I think the best launch prior to Switch that I witnessed first-hand was the Xbox, though. And that was accomplished with like, 1 game. Zelda and Mario are proving popular, I don't think anyone is surprised by that, but time will tell if the design of these games will have a lasting impact on games going forward in the same way that Halo did. Methinks Zelda will, but I'm unsure about Mario Odyssey. A few worlds in, and it's fantastic, but seemingly so unique it'd be hard to integrate the mechanics of it into other games.

EDIT: The Switch also has the surprise advantage of launching early into the year, feeding into the feeling of it having an amazing year, which, to be clear, it does, and I'm not trying to downplay it. But I know in 2014 when I picked up Sunset Overdrive it always felt like a "Year 2" kind of game, simply because of when it launched, even if that wasn't true.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It certainly had a fantastic 1st year, It kinda reminds me of the SNES when it comes to the quality of their own franchise's entries. Anyone remember how bad the launch line up was received just a couple of months ago?
Yep, I was pretty skeptical at first. For me it looked like it was going to be a Zelda machine for a long time. I ate my crow, bought it just for Zelda and now I'm overwhelmed by all the amazing content.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Xenoblade 2 comes out this year.

Me either, I mean the game was just announced only earlier this year & now its almost here in 5-6 weeks. I thought for sure it was a Spring/Summer 2018 game & didn't plan on getting a Switch til then - those plans changed real quick.

GrObi

Oct 27, 2017
No, I cant't remember. The Switch performs very, very well - with beautiful games, and a brilliant concept.
My memory card bursts. And the best: the first year of this glorious gaming machine is not over yet.
#lovemyswitch

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing first year, probably my favourite along with PS2's. Honestly, I was as sceptical as most people on GAF when the Switch was announced but it's been a very pleasant surprise. I would have never envisioned getting multi plat games on Switch over PS4P/PC.