• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So we start with the Gengar sprite in the original Red/Green/Blue games...

Spr_1g_094.png
Spr_1b_094.png

Just a normal fat ghost, though with white eyes. The Red/Green artwork mostly resembles the Gengar we know today:

206px-094Gengar_RG.png

...then when they redrew the Pokemon for Blue, they made Gengar, well, blue for some reason:

094Gengar_RB.png

By the time the anime rolled around, Gengar was back to purple:

WTP_EP023.png

And for Yellow, Gengar's sprite was redone to bring it closer to the anime, like all the other sprites in that game:

Spr_1y_094.png

Gengar remains pretty consistently purple, but of different shades. Compare their Gold/Silver sprites to their Crystal sprites, which is slightly darker:

Spr_2g_094.png
Spr_2s_094.png
Gold/Silver
Spr_2c_094.png
Crystal

In gen 3 the purple becomes much more saturated:

Spr_3r_094.png
Spr_3f_094.png

Then, interestingly, gen 3 began a trend where Gengar's back spikes start getting drawn differently on back sprites. Only a small handful of Pokemon in gen 3 had different back sprites between Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen:

Spr_b_3r_094.png
RSE
Spr_b_3f_094.png
FRLG

The back sprite would continue to have disputes on how to draw the spikes into gen 4:

Spr_b_4d_094.png
Diamond/Pearl
Spr_b_4p_094.png
Platinum

Again, very few Pokemon had redrawn back sprites between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum, so clearly this was notable enough for the sprite artists to take a stand on. Ever since Platinum, Gengar's back spikes have pretty consistently take on the "mesh" look and lost the pointed needles from previous sprites (though they're much less pronounced in gen 6):

Spr_b_5b_094.png
Gen 5
Spr_b_6x_094.png
Gen 6

...but I must again point out that they changed Gengar's color again in gen 4. Compare the shade of purple used in DPP to HGSS:

Spr_4d_094.png
Diamond/Pearl
Spr_4p_094.png
Platinum
Spr_4h_094.png
HeartGold/SoulSilver

They also recolored the back sprite from Platinum to match the HGSS color change:

Spr_b_4h_094.png

Since HGSS, Gengar's color and back spikes has been consistent. But I can't think of any other Pokemon where they kept altering the design to this extent during the first four generations. There were obviously some tweaks and changes during the first two gens, but I feel like just about every other Pokemon had their design "settled" by gen 3. Mewtwo, Pikachu, and a few others had changed fairly drastically by gen 3 but remained consistent after that. Gengar kept getting changes up until HeartGold/SoulSilver!

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, pikachu's changes have been pretty dramatic. Gengar is mostly some slight color tweaks.

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine most Pokémon that have been there since gen 1 have just as many changes, if we are talking color and simple shapes. The thing is that Gengar's overall design is so simple that even these subtle variations stand up.

I think Pikachu is has seem more changes, simply due to the fact that it appears more times in media than any other, which means more artists are drawing it over the years.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Gengars changes can reasonably be put down to different interpretations of the same source, especially taking into account the drastically different resources and technical constraints between 2D pixel art and anime, and then yet again towards 3D models.

I'd say Pikachu went through a larger transformation:
025Pikachu_RG.png
Fat Pikachu is so much better

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
That seems pretty consistent to me, other than the spikes on gen 3 and Diamond/Pearl, which I recall having a lot of somewhat off-model sprites. It seems they corrected that in Platinum, where the spikes look like they're supposed to.

Gligar is another pokemon that has somewhat inconsistent color between games, sometimes it's more purple, other times it's more pink.

Many

Sep 17, 2018
I don't see much change in Gengar. Pikachu has changed much more. And Jynx too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've never really noticed the Gengar changes, honestly, though I never used one so I never noticed the back sprites

Frankly I'm still caught up on Dugtrio not being angry anymore (I made a thread about that a while back because it just looks WRONG)

dugtrio.jpg

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Gengars changes can reasonably be put down to different interpretations of the same source, especially taking into account the drastically different resources and technical constraints between 2D pixel art and anime, and then yet again towards 3D models.

025Pikachu_RG.png
I miss chubby pikachu :(

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've never really noticed the Gengar changes, honestly, though I never used one so I never noticed the back sprites

Frankly I'm still caught up on Dugtrio not being angry anymore (I made a thread about that a while back because it just looks WRONG)

dugtrio.jpg

One thing I always thought was interesting was Dugtrio wasn't angry in the Johto games:

Spr_2g_051.png
Spr_2s_051.png

Then they went right back to angry Dugtrio in gen 3:

Spr_3r_051.png

Even in the Johto remakes they aren't angry!

Spr_4h_051.png

It's got to be some sort of inside joke with the devs that they aren't angry in the Johto games, lol.

Then sadly starting with gen 6 they're no longer angry anymore.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I always thought was interesting was Dugtrio wasn't angry in the Johto games:

Spr_2g_051.png
Spr_2s_051.png

Then they went right back to angry Dugtrio in gen 3:

Spr_3r_051.png

Even in the Johto remakes they aren't angry!

Spr_4h_051.png

It's got to be some sort of inside joke with the devs that they aren't angry in the Johto games, lol.

Then sadly starting with gen 6 they're no longer angry anymore.

Dugtrio clearly chilled out when radio signals were introduced to the Pokémon world

listening to all the low-fi beats

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
All the same apart from : Red Eye and different art style.
Always been in the purple palette range...

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they should get rid of Blaziken's crotch spikes

Mega Blaziken had the right idea

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blue art and Crystal sprite Gengar is the fucking coolest

dugtrio.jpg
...oh my god what the hell

for some reason I thought it was just Alolan Dugtrio that was like this

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
why shouldn't Dugtrio be allowed to have a range of emotions

they are living, feeling creatures

let them feel

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
why shouldn't Dugtrio be allowed to have a range of emotions

they are living, feeling creatures

let them feel

the only emotion I'd be feeling if I had three heads would be rage tbh

unless it's three digletts in one hole, in which case I'd be raging even more at their lack of personal boundary respect

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the only emotion I'd be feeling if I had three heads would be rage tbh

unless it's three digletts in one hole, in which case I'd be raging even more at their lack of personal boundary respect
have you ever seen a bunch of hamsters sleeping on top of each other in a big pile

that's what Digletts are like. they love it

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I think bulbasaur's colors change so often it's still entirely up in the air whether he'll be blue or green in each game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The changes are actually pretty minimal. They are mostly color shade and drawing style related.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Gengar doesn't change more when it's basically an amorphous blob.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

025Pikachu_RG.png

God I love Fat-Chu.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
have you ever seen a bunch of hamsters sleeping on top of each other in a big pile

that's what Digletts are like. they love it

this headcanon makes it a liiittle more acceptable

Really they'd have lost the angry eyebrows anyway once the 3D models came around and the idle poses lost all sense of individual identity, so it was probably for the best it happened earlier

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not directly related, but this always pops into my head when this topic comes up...

41f84b61-1fd9-4534-b75f-1d6f072a0766-136ed221-12e6-46b3-9520-4c28d3712504.jpeg

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I loved Gengar until the turn to 3D to be honest. He just doesn't look right in 3D.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
How do you feel about the stadium model? I don't want to turn this into a whole stadium-battle revolution vs xy model thing but the modern ones are pretty bland just generally, and I quite like stadium gengar
Looks a lot better IMO. I feel that way for most of the Pokémon created for sprites, they didn't transfer over to the XY 3D models very well.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Not really close at all, but Quagsire's color change from the more typical Aqua blue to darker navy-like blue in Platinum left a bad impression on me. I'm glad the color only stayed in one game. I actually like both color uses for Gengar by comparison funnily enough.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure which way you're leaning with this but for me it's less about the xy designs being on model (they are!) but moreso the personality? The first two sprites capture my imagination a lot more than all of blastoise's xy animations as a whole despite being (relatively) static

Yeah it's definitely a lack-of-personality thing, though I think the strict adherence to remaining completely on-model goes hand-in-hand with it. For example, I don't think Blastoise's arms and legs in his modern model could even be posed like his earlier sprites without some serious deformation going on (his shell is treated as hard shell instead of something flexible, while his arms are shorter in general)