• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm exclusively NPR now I just can't take the hyperbole and constant audio of Trump being Trump. NPR rarely plays audio of the douchebag in chief and I'm kind of okay with that. NPR and PBS are just recitations of news devoid of opinion for the most part...I don't know I'm just tired of opinion?

Anyone else in the same boat? I'll vote for the dem nominee but I'm just so damn demoralized I think I need to cut off cable news.

Last edited:

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. CNN and MSNBC only care about making money from the audience that's the opposite of Fox viewers. They have no real standards or morals as corporations and they'd sell you out as easily as Fox does if they thought they could get half of Fox's demo. Haven't watched them since around 2009/2010.

That said, I'm not demoralized even though the news is consistently horrific. I am angry and disappointed in certain parts of the American population.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Giving up implies I had any faith in them in the first place.

I knew MSNBC was bought and paid for when they shit-canned Keith Olbermann.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The only thing I pay attention to on CNN anymore is Inside Politics with John King. That's only because it's a straight hour of John talking with reporters for an hour about the political news.
Everything else, traaaaaaash.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Giving up implies I had any faith in them in the first place.

I knew MSNBC was bought and paid for when they shit-canned Keith Olbermann.

Damn, forgot all about him.

But yeah cable news is trash, online progressive media channels/podcasts are the only refuge from this shit (and NPR most of the time).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Internet and social media breaks news and better discussion. Also have enough of them hiring and letting dumbasses on the air to have both sides

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cable News and YouTube are both awful primary sources. Text is still the best medium.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
always laugh when something happens late at night and people are like, "Why isn't CNN/MSNBC/Fox News covering this?". Like please you should know by now that retrospectives of the 1980s(something that used to be VH1's forte) and sensationalist shows about prisons are more important to these channels. There are alternatives like BBC, use those.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
NPR is good because when someone says something patently false, they'll then have a guest on that says, "Yeah, well that's bullshit and here's why..." Meanwhile on cable news it's just "Well that's one take on it..."

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even NPR is so Trump-focused that I often set my default radio station to Top40 music, even though I don't really like Top40.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm fine with MSNBC. I don't watch 24-hour news changes 24-hours a day (more like 2 hours, tops) and in that context, it's good enough for me.

My truck radio stays in NPR and their mobile app remains god-tier. I recommend everyone install it on their phones.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Daily news in general is a huge waste of time. I really, really regret all the time I spent reading daily newspapers and habitually checking news sites when I was younger.

If you find yourself spending a lot of time following the news do yourself a huge favor and spent a week or so reading or watching news that's at least a week old. It's initially incredible how much of it seems completely irrelevant. Nowadays I spend roughly fifteen minutes per day flipping through the headlines of the Washington Post (which I subscribe to solely because it's the cheapest newspaper subscription on my iPad) and the Apple News app, and the rest of my news consumption is from monthly publications (mainly the Economist and the Week, both of which I highly recommend). I actually feel far better informed, I rarely know all of the most recent news stories, but I feel like I have a far better comprehension of world events in general than I ever did when I was reading multiple newspapers and spent an hour plus per day glued to my phone.

Cable News and YouTube are both awful primary sources. Text is still the best medium.

It blows my mind how many people reject cable news as being biased but lap up random YouTube channels. Cable news is shit because they have to fill a 24-hour news cycle. YouTube content creators face nearly identical incentives to create a ton of dramatic but shallow content.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Any youtube channel recommendation for daily news? Not a big fan of the 2 stated in the title but they do update their channels daily.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just entertainment, not news. There's so much important shit that gets ignored and dumb shit gets amplified. I stopped watching regularly almost 20 years and have just stuck to reading papers or online sites.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watch Morning Joe while i'm exercising and getting ready for work. Other than that I don't bother with any cable news.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
MSNBC has become so unbelievably bad. It wasn't always this shitty.
I don't watch it and I never watched CNN.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Chris Heyes' interview with Warren broke me. Their bias is so visible.
Shame. I haven't watched it (but am now a little intrigued), but I always enjoyed the trio of Hayes, Maddow, and O'Donnell. Hayes is usually a great interviewer, Maddow does great in-depth pieces, and O'Donnell doesn't give a fuck.

I still listen to the channel on Sirius when I drive to work, but it's far from the only source I look at (love NPR, as well as reading articles in print).

CNN has been absolute shit for the past five years at least.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Other than watching Maddow occasionally, I don't watch cable news at all and never really have. CNN has always been unbearable, and the way they handled the last Democratic debate didn't improve my opinion of them at all.

KingIndaNorf

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
CNN is dogshit. The trio of Tapper, Lemon and Fredo is friggin awful. The minute Tapper gave airtime to Spencer I was done with that network forever. The funny thing is whenever I shit on fox news to conservatives they always retort about liberal CNN. They assume we consume cable news like the braindead lemmings they are. The look on their face when I make the claim cnn is worse than fox. Lmao they have no idea what to think.

I dont even have msnbc after Olbermann left. I like Maddow that's it. I only watch cable for election day coverage or if there is a huge breaking story.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
i've never been much for 24-hour cable news. Even like the aesthetics of it is just sort of...too much noise and flash.

Remember when CNN had fucking Will.I.Am hologram to give his assessment of the ongoing election results?

I like PBS NewsHour for something more sober and straightforward

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Shame. I haven't watched it (but am now a little intrigued), but I always enjoyed the trio of Hayes, Maddow, and O'Donnell. Hayes is usually a great interviewer, Maddow does great in-depth pieces, and O'Donnell doesn't give a fuck.

I still listen to the channel on Sirius when I drive to work, but it's far from the only source I look at (love NPR, as well as reading articles in print).

CNN has been absolute shit for the past five years at least.

Heyes was trying to get the soundbite of Warren admitting that her healthcare plan will raise tax while ignoring the fact that the overall cost will be lower. The whole thing sounds like they're trying to get clips to be used to attack her plan later.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR radio is mostly ok. Most News conflates neutrality for objectivity. It's why they can't cover white supremacy without just idiotically platforming it like they would any other opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
I never liked or watched CNN. Ever since they basically massively profited from the first Gulf War (and the Balkan wars soon after), I felt that they thrive on people's misery and would do anything to prolong it so that they can cash in.

But, in no fantasy could I have imagined a news network sugnificantly worse than them (Fox News, of course).

For my news, I go directly to Reuters, Associated Press or France Press. That way I can happily avoid gossip and crap news.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped going to CNN's site regularly back in 2016 after it was becoming more and more apparent that their site was a poorly designed ad hellhole. Never watched their television stuff, I'm of the opinion that most televised news organizations are more interested in keeping their viewers entertained enough to get them through commercial breaks than actual good journalism.

Switched to NPR for my daily source of news (listening while working is easy, and they have some great shows on Sirius) though I still subscribe to both WaPo and the NYT as I've done for years now to read during my free time at work.

CNN and MSNBC just place too much weight on their anchors and pundits opinions, I agree. It can be tiring to watch people tell me what they think and how they think what they think is what I think or should think. It's not nearly enough direct interviews with people who actually matter, and I get why. They have to fill most of the day with stuff to air because that's the system they've chosen to work with, but it's extremely tiring to actually watch and attempt to extract anything useful from when Jack Speer can give me a rundown of events and important things I can then track down on WaPo or NYT for more detail in like 4 minutes.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I listen to NPR almost exclusively. Some other news sources for random events but mostly just sourcing together different feeds for major updates.

I don't get how people shout liberal bias and out of context quotes for trump when half the time I just double check his tweets.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
PBS, BBC and ABC Aus are my go-tos for video news - all on YouTube, don't have cable.

For MSNBC I watch Maddow stories a few times a week. Occasionally watch MSNBC talking heads over breakfast, but it clearly has strong agendas and is generally annoying. CNN I barely watch, their YT stuff is cut into tiny pieces and it's mostly talking heads which I find pretty unwatchable.

Sometimes watch longer form Vice stories too, they cover some interesting stuff.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Its entertainment. I dont watch it.

But its like wrestling. Trump even plays along with it. Its all one big con. His friends/wealthy people own the networks.

Fox and cnn all swap "most ratings" daily.

The american public thinks its "news" which should be illegal to call it that. Thats why this moron is in charge.