• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I actually miss the old Headline News channel format, just 30 minutes of nothing but the news that repeated on the half hour. There was no time for much of the bullshit opinion, it was just news. HLN still has some shows that follow this format that are watchable, notably Robin Meade in the mornings, but by and large the channel space is wasted by airing garbage.

It's the problem with American TV in general, too many damn channels that air nothing but crap.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I gave up on cable news probably almost 20 years ago.

Television news in general has been shit... my whole life?

Last edited:

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious that both conservatives and liberals hate the media.

Its fair to be critical, there's been plenty of times I've had to roll my eyes or change the channel, but I'd say the absolute disdain and hyperbole surrounding the media plays right into alt-rights strategy

Oct 27, 2017
Almost all of the news reporting during the Trump administration has been news-breaking and accurate. Many of these news reporters make their way onto MSNBC, less so CNN, and seldom Fox News but it does happen. NPR comes and goes but it puts big important stories to the side from time to time.

However, these channels are structured such that their programming day is from 4 am to midnight. 20 hours to fill every day. Watching CNN you can feel the strain and stretch each and every hour. MSNBC's best hours are 4, 6, and 9 pm Eastern, with a generally good and informative prime-time period. Just when CNN's prime-time might be informative, they manage to have a talking-heads panel rung in at a moment's notice to broadcast more extreme views. The hours I didn't mention for MSNBC are susceptible to raw punditry and often times deliver on that to the point of dispensing with watchability. All of these channels gave far too much time to Trump's empty podiums and stages in 2016.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actively tune-in to either. Just tired of having to sit through pundit discussion table bullshit, so I mostly just read online articles and Era postings these days.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a big CNN guy but ever since Trump got into office it turned into the 'shit on Trump show.' Given, he totally deserves it, but at the same time there's plenty of other things they could be reporting on but they have this massive boner for Trump and seem to ignore just about anything else going on in the world.

I just wish we had a news network that just stuck to the facts and kept the bias out of it. I don't think that exists so I just stick to local news.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a big CNN guy but ever since Trump got into office it turned into the 'shit on Trump show.' Given, he totally deserves it, but at the same time there's plenty of other things they could be reporting on but they have this massive boner for Trump and seem to ignore just about anything else going on in the world.
Ratings

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
they are not news channels, they are punditry commentary shows.

they got worse by going hard against medicare for all, the corporate dollars are too strong

The only 24 hour news station that was worth a damn (Al Jazeera America) shut down a few years ago. To be quite honest even long before Trump, these channels were garbage that got off on tragedies because those are what bring in the biggest ratings.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on both about two years ago. CNN doesn't even try to hide that they're framing almost every story under right-wing propaganda these days. Your best bet is finding trustworthy sources on the Net and following reporters on Twitter that actually get their nose in the shit.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I still hit up the headlines for CNN at lunch but never really read the articles. And I still try to watch Deadline: Whitehouse sometimes , but yeah, my viewership/readership is way down.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
You could say that. I don't intentionally watch CNN at home (Trump fatigue) but when there's "breaking national news", it's easy to watch a live feed for a few minutes on my work computer.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NPR's coverage of 2016 and government in general was/is terrible. The day after Trump won, I removed them from my presets and haven't listened since.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Your best bet is text, not youtube, not cable, and unless you curate properly, not even social media.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I switched over to Fox
I know you are joking but the only time I see cable news is usually when I am in a doctors office or someplace that has news on the television (i.e. a hotel) and its almost always Fox News. So even though its not by choice I probably see Fox more than the other 2 networks. You will see some places with CNN, but I have never seen MSNBC on the tv in someones business.

I don't watch any of them. CNN is just as bad as the opposition, just....in the opposite way.
CNN is fucking garbage, but I can't say it as bad as Fox. Fox is straight up propaganda.

God its amazing how horrible cable news is and thats probably how most people in this country learn about the news of the day.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
There was never a point in my life I thought cable news was a good use of my time, so I guess I can't really speak to their content...

But really, from all indications it's not good.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I know you are joking but the only time I see cable news is usually when I am in a doctors office or someplace that has news on the television (i.e. a hotel) and its almost always Fox News. So even though its not by choice I probably see Fox more than the other 2 networks. You will see some places with CNN, but I have never seen MSNBC on the tv in someones business.
the closest Burger King to my apartment blasts Fox News from two TVs mounted on a ledge above the seating area, last time I was in there Tucker Carlson was ranting on about something. Was like great, give me garbage TV to go with my garbage food.

Wish public places would stop putting those things on their TVs, put on ESPN or something, The Weather Channel, I don't care. It's not healthy to have these news people shouting at you wherever you go.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
CNN has been absolute shit for years, if not forever. They make it real easy for Trump to shout "FAKE NEWS" because, despite his reasoning for that being completely asinine, he's not wrong at all.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I watch Democracy Now! and that's about it for video.

I'm having a problem with NPR the past couple of years. Just yesterday, they had a dude on talking about whether or not it was a good idea to make investments in HK right now due to the lawlessness that's taking place over there. That's the kinda news you want to talk about with everything going on in HK, how much money you can or can't make? And then throwing around lawlessness?

Democracy Now! had a great segment just yesterday with Ibram X. Kendi that took up most of the show. I also have a few podcasts that I listen to and after this thread, I need to resub to Mother Jones.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I completely stopped watching all cable news. It's just about riling people up (on either side depending on the network) and ad revenue for them. I'm also sick of them having talking heads with no expertise in the area they are talking about. Having random Republican #12508 talking about why climate change is bad with no background in climate science is just ridiculous.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I only watch the News Hour if I find myself in front of a TV. Other than that, no TV. I follow a few journalists and I am subscribed to the New Yorker.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
My brother added me to his Youtube tv, so after decades of not watching cable, I've been indulging. I tend to leave it on as background noise (I work alone in my apt & have strange tastes/needs). Almost immediately CNN was trash. MSNBC seems better, but it is starting to wear thin (been about 8 months).

I'll probably stop using it so much soon, because the bigger concern to me is that I'm hearing a lot more advertising than I care to on this platform.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched a cable news channel in the last 5+ years. I listen to NPR a few times a week but get the majority of my news by reading throughout the day.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
A long time ago. The entire for-profit news media is nothing but trash and mostly bad opinions tailored to get hits/views rather than to inform/educate. It all needs to be burned down.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
All of it is garbage. Make no mistake, CNN and MSNBC love Trump. He's a ratings bonanza for them and although they won't go full Fox News for him, they want him to win in 2020.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I avoid cable news in the morning (since they only talking about 1 or 2 topics non-stop), but I watch it (mostly CNN) in the afternoon and at night.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
CNN is irrideemable. MSNBC isn't there yet but Maddow has developed serious brainworms in the past half decade or so (she used to be so good) and Chuck Todd is the worst non-Fox News news host.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Um, yes. Since mid 2018. (The 2018 election coverage was such a shit show. No lessons learned from 2016.) But why would they learn anything It's 'entertainment news'. It is built to be entertaining rather than educational. It's built to cater to it's perceived audience biases so that they will keep watching thru the ads that pay for the broadcast.

It's a dog and pony show. It's always been better to diversify your news gathering between a few different sources. Even sites like NPR while doing their best to remain neutral may have some inherent bias. I like to bounce around my 'top 3' would probably be
1. NPR, shows and various podcasts.
2. PBS
3. News articles from various papers.

Last edited:

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
24/7 cable news is a terrible format in so many ways. It has never, at any point, been a good concept. If you want to hear a bunch of rich, connected idiots with zero expertise on an important topic bloviate confidently about it at length, be my guest.

These entire networks are entertainment chat shows presented as the news.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
MSNBC is okay at best but CNN (and Fox News) is just yelling, loud noises, and BREAKING NEWS that it's just too much to watch. They all want your attention and it's just gross.
Just deliver the stories without all that crap. It's supposed to be the news, not entertainment.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
I mostly just watch Young Turks now. The opinions of corporate democrats and folks trying to appear unbiased on Trump disgusts me.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
The CBSN News app on my Roku has been my go to source for news recently and it's been fine so far, the ridiculous guests and constant shouting made CNN unwatchable, stopped watching them in 2016 and haven't looked back.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNN is toxic and pointless.

MSNBC has a couple of great reporter-anchors who do real investigative journalism …. that goes nowhere. Maddow alone has exposed actual crimes and it doesn't matter. They still don't want to directly call Trump a racist or a Nazi and love having other guests do it for them and I admit I take a perverse pleasure in watching Ari Melber shoehorn cringey old-man hip-hop references in - even better when a more woke black guest has fun making fun of Ari for it (although I get the feeling Ari's passion is real and good) but I ALMOST STOP WATCHING BECAUSE CHUCK FUCKING TODD

Anyone who thinks that wearing a mom-bowl-cut hairdo and a Sebastian Gorka goatee is acceptable in 2021 can just sit there scolding women of color for suggesting concentration camps are... well, concentration camps. Chuck "Always Forget" Todd. Man of the middle. The balance on the beam. The center of the fuckery. Chuck Choad Chud Todd.

NPR used to be great till the GOP under Bush II put the frighteners on them over funding and they basically morphed entirely into Prairie Home Companion and Schwetty Balls without the formerly fair reporting.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly with you, OP, except for Maddow. I try to watch her when I can. The way she breaks the news down and focuses on calling out bullshit is something I wish more did.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I quit MSNBC about a decade ago. Felt like they wanted to be Foxnews for the Left and it was just sad. I still use CNN for breaking news.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
haven't watched cable news in 10 years.

used to enjoy the msnbc programming bloc as background noise. but got to where it felt my IQ was dropping by the minute. i don't care how conservative/liberal any of the stations are they're all garbo (except for sunday morning stuff... sometimes)