• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I gave up on both about two years ago. CNN doesn't even try to hide that they're framing almost every story under right-wing propaganda these days. Your best bet is finding trustworthy sources on the Net and following reporters on Twitter that actually get their nose in the shit.

This.

your best bet is to be INFORMED. Watching cable news does not make you informed. Or any news really. You have to read articles, each out opposing opinions. Think critically. fact check as best you can.

None of that is offered in a media format. Maybe Al Jazeera, I feel like they cover the sides worth covering. But even then, you have to do your own homework on issues. CNN/MSNBC are just there to keep this Survivor-esque feel of the united states government and politics going. Its a TV show, entertainment. Nothing of value is discussed, ideas are not exchanged. Its like Jerry Springer. Wait even then, Jerry would have his critical honest takes at the end. So its not even like shit TV.

If you're relying on Rachel MAddow(the millionaire) to inform you of what you need to know, its already too late.

They are all there to protect the system. And distract/entertain. As "liberal" as they are, they're millionaires first.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with NPR is that their programming is (usually) so rigid that you have to sit through 3 random segments on stuff like a guy who makes rain coats out of balsa wood before getting to the news you want to hear about.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up on CNN years ago. Their desire above all else to appear "neutral and unbiased" means that they constantly have absolute shitheel, garbage, detestable guests and government officials on who spew trash, most of the time unchecked.

MSNBC is nowhere near as bad. They aren't perfect by any means, but most of the hosts and shows try to shoot straight and many of the good hosts (Hayes, Maddow, Ari Melber, Nicolle Wallace, Lawrence) are extremely intelligent and stand for no bullshit. They regularly call out guests that talk shit.

The two networks are nowhere near similar in my eyes.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Everyone in media has a target audience in mind and it just happens that major cable networks's targeted audience is apparently so dumb they either seek validation that trump is good, or need validation that his behaviors could be, shockingly enough, bad. Guess some progressives still need convincing? It amazes me how there are so many people out there evidently incapable of using critical thinking skills (or common sense) to figure what's going on by now and why it sucks and that they're able to function at a reasonable enough level to live in society.

Last edited:

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah MSNBC. I have no choice but so see a lot of you when I'm at my mom's. You are so full of intelligent, liberal, serious-minded people who, unlike Fox news and even CNN, tend to work with provable fact and form informed opinions, rather than twist fact to fit prejudices.

Cable news may be a pundit pit because of all the time that need to be filled, but MSNBC I do believe you deserve a bit of credit for trying to keep the aims high.

Yet still every day you gotta "get him." Trump. So many soundbites and video clips. He's the star of your channel, now.

Every day you gotta "get him" in such a way that you can do it again the next day. Which means you can never, really, effective GET HIM because then he is GOT and the story is over. But you got your audience and they want to see you "get him" so that's what you give them, even as the result continues to be you preaching endlessly to the same choir, who slowly lose belief over time that Trump can ever really be GOT. No one who doesn't already fully agree is watching you, MSNBC. All the words and efforts of all those intelligent, liberal, serious-minded people, wasted... jerking each other off and clucking their tongues while everything proceeds as planned. Because people no longer listen to "news" on a channel that needs to fill so much time that punditry is unavoidable.

I miss CNN Headline News. A 1/2 hour format, repeating all day, just the headlines, only time for the facts. Of course it was Nancy Grace, the harpy, who ruined that after the O.J. Trial made CNN into an empire. The ratings and revenue of a three-hour ghoulish "news" show poking into court cases clearly indicated that regular news was just totally not profitable enough.

Twenty years later, this remains true.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I haven't watched cable news in at least a decade. I essentially only watch a handful of channels, and most of the time, my TV is on the Tennis Channel.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Yes. NPR and BBC for me. Cable news networks are a circus and carnival barker act to maintain ratings.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
It's so frustrating. It really seems like hard in depth journalism can be found only on the net (not always the case to be clear here), I really only get my political info from the majority report and twitter.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I just read a lot instead. Through Google News, ERA, etc. Google probably know everything about me in terms of content I'm interest in now but w/e.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I unapologetically love cable news.
I love it.

It's the only reason I pay $50/month for PS VUE... Because it's the only internet TV service with all the major cable news outlets.

They're all trash but it's about the best way to accurately gauge each of the various political echo chambers in the country from far left to in the tank for Trump.

The gym is the best. All those TVs at SNAP fitness, I gather 3 of them in front of the treadmill, MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News and I can run for hours watching them fight. I don't find it informative, but it is entertaining to yell back at the talking heads on TV as if they could hear my disgust.

It's always so surprising to me how the news can be interpreted so differently just depending on your political bent.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
News in general but if I have to watch it on tv I'll stick to CBS.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
I've never watched CNN like as a channel, only seen clips from it, and I thought always it was hilarious that CNN keeps playing some really shitty "DRUM ACTION MUSIC!" whenever something was going on.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've given up on all 24/7 news networks for years now.

Doesn't matter what side of the aisle you're on, it's nothing but alarmist click-bait designed to outrage & catastrophize every waking moment of your life in order to keep you glued to the screen.

It's so transparent and sad.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch regularly.

I just have the app for Breaking News.

ACTUAL Breaking News, not just a show called "Breaking News" that only regurgitates the last 48 hours of hot takes.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't personally know anyone from the ages of 26-18 that watches cable news. Not even Fox.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
I only watch Maddow, because she seems to be the only one doing actual research, as opposed to the rest of them who yell about the latest thing Trump did. And honestly, I haven't watched Maddow in a while, either.

Joe Scarborough needs to make more music, though. Now *that* I could get behind.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes, years ago. I'd still watch when I could but now you can't watch CNN or MSNBC without a cable subscription (rofl, what fucking dinosaurs).

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
NPR is good because when someone says something patently false, they'll then have a guest on that says, "Yeah, well that's bullshit and here's why..."
Sometimes they do. Other times, they'll have, say, a Republican Congressman on briefly to give his thoughts on a current story. He'll just spout the GOP talking points, and either steamroll or completely ignore the reporter if they try challenging him on any of his claims, or try pushing for a real answer to the question asked. Segments that just leave me thinking "Well, that was worthless."

NPR does a lot of solid reporting, but they can still be occasionally infuriating.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Once I realized all news agencies were essentially the Newspapers of old, listening to the masters that paid them, I bounced from major networks and cable news.

I'll listen to some NPR, but it is also guilty of putting a spin on things too.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I'm exclusively NPR now I just can't take the hyperbole and constant audio of Trump being Trump. NPR rarely plays audio of the douchebag in chief and I'm kind of okay with that. NPR and PBS are just recitations of news devoid of opinion for the most part...I don't know I'm just tired of opinion?

Anyone else in the same boat? I'll vote for the dem nominee but I'm just so damn demoralized I think I need to cut off cable news.

MSNBC and CNN are garbage. NPR's problem is that they allow people to sometimes regurgitate talking points and make intellectually dishonest arguments without meaningful pushback giving the illusion of being impartial but in reality just being neutered.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Sometimes they do. Other times, they'll have, say, a Republican Congressman on briefly to give his thoughts on a current story. He'll just spout the GOP talking points, and either steamroll or completely ignore the reporter if they try challenging him on any of his claims, or try pushing for a real answer to the question asked. Segments that just leave me thinking "Well, that was worthless."

NPR does a lot of solid reporting, but they can still be occasionally infuriating.
but the reporter always tries to challenge them. that's good reporting and it's pretty much all we can ask for. any more than that would be cutting their mic and just talking over them lol.