• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
FYI – this isn't about the controls of this game as I've honestly adjusted and can somewhat appreciate their unique clunkyness in building Arthur as a dude who's struggling to overcome stuff…. Well at least until he uses deadeye, but I always tried to avoid that

Anyway,

Basically been playing it pretty consistently since it launched, but I was only still in Ch.2

I truly do think the game is a monumental achievement on a both a technical and narrative level, but I… I just can't hang when it comes to its core gameplay loop.

What initially started as admiration an awe at the methodology of the pacing, animation and tone eventually turned into resentment as I just couldn't get past feeling the game was ultimately wasting my limited game-time.

My tipping point was when I had a couple of missions that were apart literally almost the entire distance of the map. Not too big of a deal right? I mean, the game prides itself on jaw-dropping landscapes and it's random scripted skits along the way. The problem was I literally hit one between the both of them and they lasted maybe a few minutes. Then, it was back to what felt like 10 minutes of non-stop just riding…. By the time I finished one of the missions, almost an hour had passed and I felt like I hadn't accomplished nor saw much. I did the one thing and I was out of time (Married, father of two and needed to spend some quality-time before bed)

I mean, why, just why is there sooo much damn downtime!? Like, even if I was to throw myself at the random activities one can do outside of the main narrative, even those are just so unnecessary plodding and time consuming. Want to play dress up? That in itself can become an entire gaming session!

Let it be known, this isn't about "I don't have time for this, because I have 4 other games to play" or anything like that. It about calling out the fubared balance of doing meaningful, gameplay-like things in RDR2 or just passively gawking over the world.

So yeah, I just don't feel like the investment is worth it in the end. Not in a day an age where openworld games like Spiderman, Crackdown, Horizon, etc, exist and legitimately feel like they respect the gamer's time and just want them to have fun

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I started RDR2 right after platinuming Spiderman. In Spiderman, each play session, I feel like I'm making significant progress whereas in RDR2, i feel like i'm running in place.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my friends were just talking about this exact thing ... You're not alone in your feelings, OP.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Eh, I had similar thoughts for a time, but RDR2 is just a world that I can immerse myself in for an hour or two. Even if all I do is walk through a dark train tunnel in first person until I get struck by said train, it was time well spent.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it because we only get a new Rockstar game every 5 or so years and I like to take my time with them.

I'd suggest just sticking to main missions and carrying on that way but if you're already this burnt out in chapter 2... then perhaps dropping it would be best.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Open worlds in general bore me to tears. This is the same reason I never finished GTA V. I wish it wasn't such a big trend in AAA games but luckily they aren't the bulk of what I play. I just hope that Japanese games don't follow suit. I can't handle more FFXVs.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I also quit during chapter 2.

Couldn't take the gameplay loop already and the controls still wasn't clicking with me. Not to mention I hated the wanted system, for the life of me I can't escape any moments where I became wanted.

Also the fact that me and westerns just don't mix, I was bored of every conversation NPCs were having.

KOT

Oct 27, 2017
Minsk
I'd say stick with it until chapter 4, it's when it really starts to shine with story.

But aside from that, yeah, RDR2 has very slow start.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Near the end of the game, it was getting to the point where I was just doing story missions, never really hunted or went off the beaten path like I did early in the game. Just wanted to finish it. I'll probably be a bit rejuvenated after a few weeks not touching it, but yeah at some point I was getting a bit tired of it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in Epilogue 2 now and this problem gets worse. I'm getting real annoyed by the constant long distance rides. Love the game nontheless.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dangerously close to dropping it but since I'm deep into chapter 5, I think I'll see the main story through. It picks up but only after like... 20-30+ hours.

The story and characters are very strong but the boring slog to interesting/engaging occurrence ratio is horrible.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I honestly didn't make it through the tutorial. It's a rare game that can get me to play a multi-hour linear tutorial, and apparently RDR2 isn't it.

Plus the infinitely better Hitman 2 just came out, and then Smash in a few weeks, and then KH3, Sekiro, RE2, and DMC5 early next year so I probably won't be going back.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Yep got bored and moved on. Have been playing Bulletstorm because of the instant brain dead thrills.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I had similar thoughts for a time, but RDR2 is just a world that I can immerse myself in for an hour or two. Even if all I do is walk through a dark train tunnel in first person until I get struck by said train, it was time well spent.

An hour or two doing only potentially that?

That..uh..... well, I just cant do that :(

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar is going for a super immersive open world. It's not about how much you accomplish per playthrough, but how well you can be immersed and lost in their world.

I spent like 4 hours yesterday doing only 1 quest and playing dominoes for $4 and going hunting to make $20. I didn't accomplish much, but I still had fun.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
OP I'm with you. I go back and can appreciate it's technical achievement. I'm also only on chapter 2. I'll keep plugging away in spurts but I've come to realize I'm over open worlds. Traversing gets old.

I've been bouncing back to Indies. Maybe I'm just too old and don't have the patience anymore. God of War and Dark Souls are the limits of openness I want in games anymore.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Main reason is it's not the kind of game I can just pick up and play for 30mins here 1h hour there. I really feel like a need at least a 2-3 hour block of time to sink into it. I'll try again when I have holidays in 6 weeks.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I started Hollow Knight in the meantime and probably won't be going back to RDR2 any time soon.

I was so hyped for it too...

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Its a great game but its didn't click for for me after a 20 hours. To be fair I did the same thing for GTA 5 about half way through the game.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I put it down.....for now. I feel like I really need to invest time in it in order to properly enjoy it, and I just don't have that time at the moment. It hasn't fully clicked for me yet either, but there are at least parts I enjoy

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It's my game of the year and I'm absolutely in love with it, but I definitely have a hard time recommending it to some of my friends. The game has a vision and sticks with it - you really have to know what you're getting into. It's not for everyone.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I just got done with chapter 3 and it is a good game but a bit of a slog. It occasionally does feel like work. Odyssey was definitely more of an enjoyable experience so far and much easier to just pick up and play.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting used to the controls but the shooting still feels awful. Totally waiting on a PC version.

The problem was I literally hit one between the both of them and they lasted maybe a few minutes. Then, it was back to what felt like 10 minutes of non-stop just riding…. By the time I finished one of the missions, almost an hour had passed and I felt like I hadn't accomplished nor saw much. I did the one thing and I was out of time (Married, father of two and needed to spend some quality-time before bed)

I mean, why, just why is there sooo much damn downtime!?

Honestly this is the kind of shit I like in open-world games and wish there was more of.

In my opinion random events and collect-a-thongs bug me too often in open-world games. Makes the world feel unrealistically condensed and busy. Especially in games this pretty, I like just riding for periods of time and admiring the landscape.

My favorite open-world games are often ones where I can still enjoy my time with the game even though I may have accomplished very little in that particular sitting. That's how I feel about Breath of the Wild -- just messing around in that world by itself is fulfilling.

Dama

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
It's soooo slow and I feel like I need to dedicate like 2-3 hours just for 1 session. I will go back to it this weekend

lawtowler

Oct 30, 2017
I feel the same as you OP. The game is an incredible achievement but I was already getting a bit fed up of open world games and this is the mother of all open worlds! Got as far as chapter 2 and realised I just don't have the time or the attention to stick with it all the way through. I certainly do not regret buying it though as it'll always be there to come back to should I ever feel like it.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I've put it down for now too. I'm having a hard time reconciling how I feel about it. I never feel like I'm progressing, which I guess plays into the themes of the game and is definitely by design, but for me it's just not fun. I want to love this game so much, but I couldn't care less about playing it.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this could just go in the OT, honestly.

Im playing the game on and off, theres only so much 30fps console gaming I can play until it gets on my nerves and I need to play CS:GO or something. Screw you Rockstar for making us wait for the PC version.

Nov 14, 2017
I started it the weekend it came out and haven't gotten to touch it since :(

I haven't given up on it but I've just been too busy to find time to sit down and play for an extended period. I've also been playing a lot of Tetris Effect with my wife instead.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing here OP. Almost even bought it on the X too (pre-ordered the PS4 version), glad I didn't. Don't like the game much at all. Might give it a second chance when/if it hit's PC to see what modders can do.

Oct 26, 2017
I think so? I havent touched it really in over a week, im on chapter 3. I have no drive to pick it up, because theres been like maybe a few hours of real fun divided over the huge amount of time i played it.

It was interesting to play just to see how a company could get away with making such a boring game, and still attract the masses. But meh, i'd rather just get spyro and have some real fun.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Read Dead 2 just isn't a 'fun' video game.

It's not something I can pick up and play every day and enjoy as it takes so long to do anything. I haven't played in nearly a week now and don't miss it as Hitman 2 and BF V are providing me with far more actual enjoyment in my limited free time.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I completely exactly agree with you. I fell off after the game lost my legendary bear skin when I saved at the campsite and no one there would buy it, yet the trapper was nowhere to be found. Then I lost my best horse in a commute to a mission because of some outlaws and I was stranded in the wilderness. It's just not fun for me compared to the instant gratification of Spyro. I abandoned it in Ch 2 or 3 and haven't come back since.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway,

Basically been playing it pretty consistently since it launched, but I was only still in Ch.2
No offense but this is fucking ridiculous. the game has been out for almost 20 days and you are still in the tutorial chapter? what?

I have been playing it consistently too and i am in Chapter 6. Just play the story missions. there are like 10 story missions in chapter 2. they might be a bit of a slog but just push through it. it shouldnt take you more than 3 hours.

play the game for the story. it's brilliant. arthur morgan is the best protaganist of this gen. The story has some incredible setpieces and shocking moments. why have you spent 19 days in the tutorial chapter? who is asking you to do pointless shit instead of playing the story?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
its interesting to see more and more people saying - inc reviewers - a few weeks after release.

You wonder how it got that 97 Metacritic score when it has some pretty noticeable flaws.

I'm not saing its a bad game - t is clearly a colossol achievement - its juts interesting to me howe a few weeka fter launch a fair number of people seem to be having similar issues whereas the revieew scores were nearly perfect.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Westerns aren't for everyone. It's definitely a slowburn. I find myself getting distracted by side missions, but I don't feel bothered by it. I just get more excited that I haven't seen everything yet. This was the problem I had with BotW - I think it had better traversal and open world pacing, but I discovered the regions too fast.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
In Chapter 2 as well and it's just not grabbing me much at all, and I've shifted gears over to Hitman 2. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed the previous RDR.

This may be my weekend, long play-session game going forward as I'm not getting much out of it playing for a couple hours here and there. I'm planning to play a whole lot of it on Sunday and we'll see if it starts to make a stronger impression.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I started RDR2 right after platinuming Spiderman. In Spiderman, each play session, I feel like I'm making significant progress whereas in RDR2, i feel like i'm running in place.

I didn't platinum Spider-man, but did finish it right before. I've really loved the change of pace with how deliberate RDR2 is. Just relaxing to me to take my time and get immersed in role playing a cowboy.

I just finished up chapter 6 last night and played some of the epilogue and still can't wait to play more. I focused on knocking out side quests before doing story missions even as I don't want it to end and ot the trophies for doing all the optional honor sidequests and ten stranger quest lines. I've left most of the hunting and fishing to mess around with in the post game.

In Chapter 2 as well and it's just not grabbing me much at all, and I've shifted gears over to Hitman 2. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed the previous RDR.

This may be my weekend, long play-session game going forward as I'm not getting much out of it playing for a couple hours here and there. I'm planning to play a whole lot of it on Sunday and we'll see if it starts to make a stronger impression.

I definitely find it more enjoyable in long sessions than short bursts. Things just take a while with the slow traversal and limited fast travel options/locations. I really enjoy it, but I've had a fair amount of time to binge.

Steve_Hicks

Oct 28, 2017
I put about 15 or 20 hours in. Maybe 2/3s of the way through Chapter 2. It's a masterclass in some ways (possibly many ways) when it comes to design and development. It's opaque in places when it doesn't need to be and it's so...so boring. I've gone back to playing Spider-Man and Enter the Gungeon.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No offense but this is fucking ridiculous. the game has been out for almost 20 days and you are still in the tutorial chapter? what?

I have been playing it consistently too and i am in Chapter 6. Just play the story missions. there are like 10 story missions in chapter 2. they might be a bit of a slog but just push through it. it shouldnt take you more than 3 hours.

play the game for the story. it's brilliant. arthur morgan is the best protaganist of this gen. The story has some incredible setpieces and shocking moments. why have you spent 19 days in the tutorial chapter? who is asking you to do pointless shit instead of playing the story?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Is this a "you are playing it wrong" post? Because that's exactly how I read it.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
You've been playing consistently but you're still in chapter two? Well maybe start playing the actual story? And for the record: it's so, so worth it

Oct 28, 2017
This is not port begging:

I wish I could have played the slower parts during my commute to and from work. I find that the time on the train helps me with little things in a less formal play setting. Like the controls haven't clicked for me yet ( on chapter 2 , a few moments after the bar fight) I'm not totally engrossed on the train (got keep my head on a slight swivel) so it would be better for me to mess around. I keep shooting my gun for no damn reason and the sheriff is on my ass. I get like an hour of gaming time on the "good tv" after the littles hit the sack. I'm going to stick with it since it's a western and I hear the story is as good as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.