• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BEST GEN?

• N64/PS1

Votes: 38 8.1%
  • Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube

Votes: 170 36.3%
  • Xbox360/PS3/Wii/WiiU

Votes: 101 21.6%
  • PS4/Xbone/Switch

Votes: 185 39.5%
  • any older one *shaking cane*

Votes: 45 9.6%

• Total voters

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This gen has been fantastic. The only one that remotely competes is PS1 era, and that's a combination of the JRPGs and it being my childhood.

This gen has so much stuff. True, it doesn't have a TES or a GTA. FFS, imagine if it did? It'd be the most one-sided ass kicking, it wouldn't even be close. Outside of 2014 (which I loved actually), every year's had multiple amazing, GotG-quality games.

2015: How many of you would say Bloodborne? The Witcher?
2016: Uncharted 4, anyone? Overwatch?
2017: Horizon? Super Mario Odyssey? Breath of the Wild? Divinity: Original Sin II?
2018: Red Dead? Spider-Man? God of War? Smash Bros?
2019: RE2, The Outer Worlds, etc.

Every year has been fuckin' stacked. There's been a major fighting game every year for the past four years. There's cRPGs. J-RPGs made a come back to consoles. Nintendo firing on all cylinders with the Switch. Indie games getting the love they need.

It's not a perfect gen, but what is?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The current gen is awesome but I don't feel I can properly compare it with past ones while we're still in it.

N64/PS1 is just bullshit. Excluding the Saturn is a crime. It had a ton more great games than the N64 ever did. :T
I love the N64 but this is true. Leaving out the Saturn for that gen is ridiculous.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U is 8th gen

1. PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast
2. Switch/Wii U/Xbox One/Bloodborne
3. 360/Wii/PS3

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went for PS2 era. It's my childhood so I'll always be more fond of that era. So many good games, without all the bullshit.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people love the PS2 era but I still find much of the n64/ps1 through ps2 era as very difficult to go back to personally. A lot of growing pains during those years for 3D gaming as well as devs figuring out basic UI design (holy shit UI used to fucking suck). Plenty of excellent titles that do absolutely hold up in my opinion (many final fantasy games, mario 64, zelda oot, etc) but all in all a lot of rough edges all around.

*edit* Forgot to say I'd vote for either SNES era or current gen I guess. Switch might already be my favorite console ever.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its a good gen of games for sure. But I think I still prefer ps3/360. Simple reason being is that, that gen was filled with a lot of "new" experiences. This gen felt a lot more derivative and continuation of the previous one.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's been a fun gen my only real complaint is that BioWare didn't put out more RPG games :(. Absolutely loved everything they put out last gen except DA2. While this gen they've only really put out 1 MA and 1 DA game. I was hopeful that Anthem would be a good new venture. As they were knocking it out of the part with the Gameplay in the ME series at the end. But unfortunately it seems like the stars didn't align and Anthem has been kind of a mess so far.

After that this gen also slowly started to turn around and more publishers are making kid friendly games again which is nice. I prefer the console game industry to not put all its eggs in the Nintendo and LEGO video game franchise basket.

that isn'talso if your going to reply to this to complain about the last few ME games just don't. I really dont

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Nice to see a positively focused comparison of generations. I do agree that this generation is finishing on an extremely high note. Never has there been more value in gaming. Seeing the rise of Indies in the mainstream, return of AA's and added accessibility across the board is great. From a pure value standpoint and in terms of laying the groundwork for what could be pure insanity next cycle, the last few years of this gen will be remembered highly.

I voted Dreamcast/PS/Xbox/Game Cube. That gen along with Genesis/Super Nintendo were the most nostalgic and magical. First 3D open world with GTA3. First time landing on the Halo ring. First time facing a big boss in RE4. Seeing Metroid's first 2D to 3D transition. The jaw dropping moment of seeing Splinter Cells lighting the first time. First time going on Xbox Live and hearing your friends in other states playing with you for the first time in years. The first time Halo 2's matchmaking pulled your entire party into a new game. Western RPGs going mainstream on consoles with KOTOR. MGS2. Ninja Gaiden. PC shooters finally working well on consoles. Let's also pour out our respects for Dreamcast. For a console that died so young and is hardly given credit, it had one of the greatest launches ever, pioneered online console gaming and essentially started 2 genres (with Shenmue and Phastasy Star Online).

Amazing generation. Lots of magic. Will be hard to recreate so many wow moments

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have a huge blind spot for the n64.
Being at exactly the right age and a lot more impressionable than nowadays, there were loads of games that just wowed me.

From a more objective point of view, we are living in a golden era right now though. Every genre is being supported from point and click adventure games to crpgs or space sims. Not all by 100s of games each year but enough to fill a void.

And we have been through the dark ages with a big part of the ps360 era where everything tried to be brown, dark and gears for a while.

I'd even argue that gaas are a lot better than last gen. Not everything is trying to be a moba anymore and even the pubg craze is gone - card games seem to be the last gaas genre standing on PC/consoles right now but even that seems to settle.

Gaming is in a great spot right now and while parts could obviously be better they have never been so far.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
If you manage to ignore all the bullshit that mobile gaming and big publishers have done to game design in order to squeeze money out of their customers I can see an argument for this generation, but I can't ignore that blemish. I can also see an argument for multiplayer gaming, but I'm not hugely into it. So PS2 era still takes it. Tons of JRPGs, experimental stuff like bongos and toy guitars, some real atmospheric games giving a glimpse of what gaming will be like looking forward like Chronicles of Riddick and Resi 4 (Half Life 2 also came out in that timeframe), the birth of Animal Crossing. Too much single player goodness to concede it to a gen where some of the biggest solo games were made grindy in order to sell timesavers.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Clearly my favourite gen. I've spend some wonderful times playing this gen, and the choice is just astounding. PS2/GC/Xbox gen is a close second.

Non-exhaustive list of games I've loved this gen: Red Dead Redemption II, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, K, K2, 6, Judgement, Furi, Hollow Knight, Hitman, Dishonored 2 and DotO, Prey, Life is Strange 1&2, P.T, Death Stranding, MGS V, Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Sekiro, Ni-Oh, Astrobot, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V, Resident Evil VII (VR), WipeOut Omega Collection (VR), Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and LL, Dreams Early Access, No Man's Sky (nowadays, and in VR, it's amazing), Divinity Original Sin 1&II, Monster Hunter World, Celeste, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Gravity Rush 2, Guacamelee 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Thronebreaker, Hotline Miami 2, inFamous First Light, Vampyr, The Evil Within 2, The Witness, Transistor, Overcooked, Rocket League, TowerFall Ascension, and I'm probably forgetting a lot more.

And on top of that, 2020 looks absolutely packed (some choices will have to be made): The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring (probably), Ghost of Tsushima (probably), Ni-Oh 2, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Gods and Monsters, BG&E2 (probably), Persona 5 Royal, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, Tell Me Why, Watch Dogs Legion, and that new Colantonio/WolfEye game.

Amazing gen.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
As someone who's been playing games since commadore and Atari 2600, every new gen is my favourite gen. The evolution of games is intoxicating to me. I love playing a game and thinking, damn, this is where we're at right now. And I can't wait to see what's coming.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Great gen on the whole, but it cant be the best when certain genres like arcade sports and racing have completely died out.

Gimme one racing game as good as any game in the burnout series this gen.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The 64 is my jam. I LOVE local co-op/MP and it peaked on the 64 IMO.

Otherwise I'm more a PC person and I feel a lot of my favourite games were from that same timeframe.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Poll is invalid because you'll have a large section of voters who have only played the current gen.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
So... I bought my Switch a year ago, and my PS4 only back in April... on top of this, I didn't own a Wii U or PS3 either... needless to say I was thrown into a massive world and have now amassed a backlog of 150~ games. The quality and variety is astounding. It's pretty ridiculous. I'm going to be playing these for years to come. As someone who had no interest for a long time, I am beyond impressed at what this generation had to offer and can only wait to see what is to come next.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I've had so many 'holy shit.' moments when starting a lot of these games this generation. This generation time and time again has managed to blow me away by how amazing the games look or they feel, how good these games run and all of that. I've also become more a single player gamer than multiplayer gamer this generation simply because of the rise of MTX plus Lootboxes. So for me, I haven't had a ton of experiences ruined by those things. I just can't wait to see how studios push the boundaries graphic wise and design wise for this next upcoming generation because if it's this good now both video game wise and graphic wise, I can only imagine what next upcoming generation will be like.

Also, I just wanna show love to the PS2/Gamecube because those two consoles were literally my entire childhood. I've put so many hours into those consoles and played so many games whether they were mainstream or obscure games and things like that, it was just so much fun. However even with that being said, if I'm ranking the generations for me, right under this current generation goes the Xbox 360/PS3 Generation. There's just way too many memories on the 360 with Halo 3 custom matches, matchmaking and all the other games I played with my best friends on there. So many memories were created during that generation.

Feb 10, 2018
Now is a better time then ever for videogames.
However as I've got older I'm not as keen about gaming as I was as a kid, I used to be so hyped coming back home from school, to play some perfect dark or some shenmue.

The 360/ps3 gen was when the industry started making games with the main motivation being profit, you had wall street type business ppl looking for that money making game formula, this probably happened in previous gens but not to the same extent.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Many of the games coming out today are leagues more interesting than those of previous gens. Lots of great small or independent studios making absolutely brilliant stuff, mainly.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Even though i voted for ps2/gc/dc/xbox, i alao would say, this gen was nuts. Being a kid now, playing dozens of games(f2p) as well as gamepass... Man i had to save up sooo much money back in the day to finally get my hands on the newest game...

Oct 30, 2017
This gen is definitely on fire, many amazing high quality games for sure.

But last gen had more new IPs and more games from big developers because of shorter development time.

I love this gen so much but also miss the previous one.

Oh and I still think PS1 gen was the best.

Nov 8, 2017
There's a wider variety of games and genres now than there has ever been. And sure, that includes some shitty loot box games and trash mobile games, but this is also the generation that gave us VR, which is just as magical to me as playing Super Mario World and Sonic The Hedgehog was in the 90's.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This gen was plagued too hard by microtransactions, dlc, scummy publishers, unfinished games, movie games, service games, developer controversies, shitty HD remasters, and underpowered consoles to be the best. If it weren't for Nintendo current gen would be very boring.

PS2/GameCube/Xbox was the best generation, and of course PC during that time was also incredible for different reasons.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'll vote PS2. It's still my personal favorite because I'm nostalgic...but PS4 is pretty much on par with it.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I miss when I didn''t have to do research if a game will scam me or not.

Defintely NOT the best gen.

Plenty of good games this gen but the DLC/MTX infecting most titles is just wrong. I miss the days of buying a new game and getting the complete package. Publishers not only charging for content that's been cut but they've also taken away the ability for players to MOD and HOST their own servers. The last part is more PC oriented but my point still stands. Shitty times.

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly my favourite gen. I've spend some wonderful times playing this gen, and the choice is just astounding. PS2/GC/Xbox gen is a close second.

Non-exhaustive list of games I've loved this gen: Red Dead Redemption II, The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, K, K2, 6, Judgement, Furi, Hollow Knight, Hitman, Dishonored 2 and DotO, Prey, Life is Strange 1&2, P.T, Death Stranding, MGS V, Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Sekiro, Ni-Oh, Astrobot, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V, Resident Evil VII (VR), WipeOut Omega Collection (VR), Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and LL, Dreams Early Access, No Man's Sky (nowadays, and in VR, it's amazing), Divinity Original Sin 1&II, Monster Hunter World, Celeste, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Gravity Rush 2, Guacamelee 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Thronebreaker, Hotline Miami 2, inFamous First Light, Vampyr, The Evil Within 2, The Witness, Transistor, Overcooked, Rocket League, TowerFall Ascension, and I'm probably forgetting a lot more.

And on top of that, 2020 looks absolutely packed (some choices will have to be made): The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring (probably), Ghost of Tsushima (probably), Ni-Oh 2, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Gods and Monsters, BG&E2 (probably), Persona 5 Royal, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, Tell Me Why, Watch Dogs Legion, and that new Colantonio/WolfEye game.

Amazing gen.

So much this.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N64/PS1 by far.

This gen has been shit with too few games and some real shitty practices ruining games.

Aug 10, 2019
The PC scene during the ps2/Xbox/dreamcast/GameCube pushes it over the top in my opinion. The internet was still new and companies were experimenting artistically, instead of being as profit oriented as they are now. Private servers were still a thing, and esports were in their infancy. I don't think we'll get a gen like that again until something as important as the internet is invented.

Half Life 2
Diablo 2
Quake 3 Arena
Medal of Honor Frontline
Warcraft 3
System shock 2
Counterstrike
Deus Ex
Baldur Gate
Max Payne 2
Psychonauts
Thief 2
World of Warcraft
The Sims 2

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
The PC scene during the ps2/Xbox/dreamcast/GameCube pushes it over the top in my opinion. The internet was still new and companies were experimenting artistically, instead of being as profit oriented as they are now. Private servers were still a thing, and esports were in their infancy. I don't think we'll get a gen like that again until something as important as the internet is invented.

Half Life 2
Diablo 2
Quake 3 Arena
Medal of Honor Frontline
Warcraft 3
System shock 2
Counterstrike
Deus Ex
Baldur Gate
Max Payne 2
Psychonauts
Thief 2
World of Warcraft
The Sims 2
1998-2004 Last Golden Era of PC Gaming, in my opinion.

After that, console ports.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Top tier bleeding edge has mainly been absolutely fantastic - although I say with a note of caution, as service based and transaction based gaming has increasingly infiltrated this bracket to the point where it actively impacts the structure and enjoyment of a game.
Portable gaming has finally realised its potential with Switch.
There are more platforms than ever with VR and streaming entering the fray and Valve unlocking niche markets with their work on Linux.

There is a lot to love about where we are now.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have to choose both this gen and the last. They're both so good. This gen has more quality games overall, especially exclusives from every console, but last gen really pioneered a lot of what we're seeing being perfected now and the advent of easily accessible console multiplayer.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close to be honest. Last gen alone introduced way more good franchises than this gen.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All the poll results are saying to me is that Era's community skews quite a bit younger than I thought

I'm not even sure how a comprehensive argument could be made that this gen ranks ahead of last gen... much less the gen before that

Last-gen alone has this gen beat like 5-to-1 in terms of solid games, good sequels, and great new IPs

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ps4 gen = ps2 gen > snes gen > ps3 gen > ps1 gen > nes gen >>>>>>>>>>>>>> LOL ATARI

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean what we got for example from EA this gen that is worth mentioning? Same goes with many other publishers.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, it's a great time to enjoy this hobby - there's plenty to play and some developers continue to fire on all cylinders.

But the breadth of options and insane variety and uniqueness of the PS2/Xbox/GCN/Dreamcast era is just unrivaled. There were so many new and different things coming from EVERYONE at the time. Also, that gen took off MUCH faster than this one. The first year or two of this gen was pretty dang lackluster, if you ask me.

Remember, THIS is what the PS2's library had just a year after release in the US:

playstation-2-fall-2001.original.jpg

- A highly regarded sequel
- A brand new spin off of an established IP
- A brand new IP that would spin off 4+ sequels
- A sequel to one of the largest IPs in the world
- A sequel to one of the largest IPs in the world
- A watershed moment for gaming, that would generate imitators for half a decade
- A brand new IP unlike anything else that released to rave reviews
- A brand new IP that scratches that competitor's platforming offer itch that spawned 2+ sequels
- A sequel to one of the PS1's biggest titles, and also one of the best games of all time
- A massively succesful horror title released to critical and commercial success

Damn.

Meanwhile, that same fall the Xbox launches with HALO and the Gamecube launches with Super Smash Bros. Melee in tow just a month later. And you could find a brand new Dreamcast for fifty bucks at any Target. Just an unreal time to be playing video games.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
All the poll results are saying to me is that Era's community skews quite a bit younger than I thought

I'm not even sure how a comprehensive argument could be made that this gen ranks ahead of last gen... much less the gen before that

Last-gen alone has this gen beat like 5-to-1 in terms of solid games, good sequels, and great new IPs

Last gen doesn't really rate too well with people who wanted JRPGs on consoles and didn't like brown/grey shooters. Youth has nothing to do with it, I'm 32. I was there for the PS1 gen, and part of the SNES gen. We could go back and forth doing the list wars thing if you want, but ultimately I'm looking at a stack of games for my PS4 and that's not counting the games I have on the PS4 itself and it's just way higher than it ever was for the PS3.

It's going to come down to opinions because that's what art is, and it's just my opinion but this generation has been on fire and I really didn't like last gen much at all.