Has anyone gotten a surgery/shots for a herniated disc

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
So I've recently had a car accident where I had my car totaled and left me a bit banged up. I had a MRI done and it looks like I have two herniated discs in my lower back. My doctor told me that I could have surgery or steroid shots. But looking around online people who usually get the non evasive shots will normally see symptoms return again. I wanted to know if anyone else experience anything like this?

TonyusMaxinus

Oct 25, 2017
I had a herniated disc 2 years ago. Worst pain I've ever had. I had the shot and it didn't help me. I had micro-disc surgery and its like it never happened. It was life-ruining pain and I'm very lucky it worked for me. I haven't had any pain since like 2 weeks after the surgery. Good luck and I hope you get relief in what ever you do.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I've had several injections with varying results but the shots themselves were simple enough. I'm afraid of having surgery as bad results there can cause things to become much worse.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Zone
steroids, like a cortisone injection, are only temporary anti-inflammatorys. you may be able to go a few weeks or a few months without having to go get another one, depending on the drug, dose, and your body’s physiology

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't have a herniated disc specifically, but I have degenerative disc disease. I would recommend the cortisone shot; the procedure is quick and easy. Obviously, if it doesn't work, you should go get the surgery, but I can't see any benefit in going straight for a more risky, expensive procedure that might not be necessary.

My personal and medical opinion is that back surgery would be my absolute last resort in almost all situations.
^ What he said.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I had the option of surgery many years ago but the doc told me there was a tiny chance of being Incontinent if it didn't go perfectly and I noped the fuck out of that.

Ended up trying and failing to deal with the pain for a while and then slowly exercising, more specifically lifting weights, helped a lot. I'm not 100% but I can play sports now and I even played a couple of seasons of American football.

Of course that was after a few years of being totally useless and being unable to even put on my socks at times. Back problems are the fucking worst.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have to get the shots every 4 months. I wish I could get it more often...

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My personal and medical opinion is that back surgery would be my absolute last resort in almost all situations.

Oct 27, 2017
Suffering from a herniated disc at the moment. It fucking sucks.

The epidural will be my first option but if the pain doesn't improve significantly soon I'm looking at surgery. I can't function.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
A steroid epidural shot completely saved me from feeling like a cripple from sciatica, with no significant pain in 4 years since. It’s the best thing I ever did for the pain.

ZackieChan

Oct 27, 2017
Of course that was after a few years of being totally useless and being unable to even put on my socks at times. Back problems are the fucking worst.
I had about a year of this. It was awful. Luckily, exercise and physical therapy has gotten be mostly back to normal. Wake up with pain/stiffness nearly every morning, though. Not bad enough for any kind of surgery.

OP
OP
Cyborg009

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I can still function fine just long drives from sitting down too long or working out brings the pain. I think I'll do the shot first then we'll see how it goes.

Oct 25, 2017
I had about a year of this. It was awful. Luckily, exercise and physical therapy has gotten be mostly back to normal. Wake up with pain/stiffness nearly every morning, though. Not bad enough for any kind of surgery.
Yeah I never feel like my back is totally right but being able to play contact sports again was nuts. The funniest thing was I was able to play two seasons hitting and tackling people with no problem other than some stiffness but I put my back out flipping a tyre in training and was useless for a couple of weeks.

I'm too old for that now so am stuck with cricket but even that isn't safe, I smashed the shit out of a ball in practice and my back went again due a couple of weeks.

It sucks but it's better than the risk of surgery going wrong. I had a minor knee surgery a couple of years ago but I wouldn't let someone poke around near my spine unless it was absolutely the last resort.

ZackieChan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I never feel like my back is totally right but being able to play contact sports again was nuts. The funniest thing was I was able to play two seasons hitting and tackling people with no problem other than some stiffness but I put my back out flipping a tyre in training and was useless for a couple of weeks.

I'm too old for that now so am stuck with cricket but even that isn't safe, I smashed the shit out of a ball in practice and my back went again due a couple of weeks.

It sucks but it's better than the risk of surgery going wrong. I had a minor knee surgery a couple of years ago but I wouldn't let someone poke around near my spine unless it was absolutely the last resort.
I occasionally make a wrong move during exercise that brings back the sciatica for a week or so. Sucks living with this.

ISOM

Nov 6, 2017
I've heard people who work out to strengthen their back and core muscles tend to have back pain disappear. That might help and as other said, back surgery should be a last resort.

ThiefofDreams

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a shot once and the needle slid off my bone and hit an auxiliary nerve and made my body reflexively jerk almost completely off the bed.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I had a cervical herniation two years ago. Easily the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. It took time but I eventually got better. I’d say it took about six weeks for the pain and tingling to go away. By four months I was lifting like I used to, but severely weak in the part of my body that was hurt by the herniation. These days I feel nothing outside of the occasional crick in my neck that leaves me paranoid for a couple of days.