• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
My posture sucks. I have 'nerd neck' and anterior pelvic tilt. I know these are pretty common with modern sedentary lifestyle and excessive phone use, but has anyone managed to correct their's? Can it be done at home or is a gym/physio required?

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This is super-relevant to me as I'm currently experiencing nerve damage, which the best theory is due to poor posture. I've just been trying to sit straight in my chairs for the past week and it seems to be helping (although the symptoms just seem to have moved from my limbs to my torso).

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Standing/sitting straight is all you need to do to fix it. Will take a month or so but it will happen. Just gotta be persistant, and it will improve your appearance all around. It's about conditioning your muscles.

In terms of gym or physio, nothing is required but simple proper cardio on core muscles and your butt will help a lot.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found that as I lost weight, my posture improved. I do wii fit yoga training, though, and they have all sorts of posture exercises, so perhaps that's why.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
start doing planks and yoga and then transition to strength training like pushups, squats, pull ups, dips, etc.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
doing proper dumbell farmer walks should be pretty good for correcting nerd neck

Khatoz

Oct 27, 2017
Wife has been trying to help me fix my posture for a few years now as well, but tend to go back to the same hunch over position at work, so any tips on this welcomed.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone once told me that good posture was like walking around as though I was wearing a cape. Life changing tbh.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I used to have that. Going to the gym helps a lot for body posture. Shoulder and back exercise in particular, with weights. If you're new to it use a trainer to get the movement right.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Hey I'm in school for physical therapy if anybody wants to work on their body mechanics 😜

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Yes, I corrected my posture by getting a sit stand desk at work, raising the height of my monitors and moving the keyboard/mouse tray to make my body comfortable at a good angle and working out with a trainer who Focused on my posture

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I corrected my posture by getting a sit stand desk at work, raising the height of my monitors and moving the keyboard/mouse tray to make my body comfortable at a good angle and working out with a trainer who Focused on my posture

having a trainer work on your posture isn't really fixing things by yourself, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Exercise helps immensely.

My posture improved exponentially when I started working out. I made no conscious effort to correct it, it just sort of happened.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This guy AthleanX on YouTube who I think trains some athletes has some videos about posture, which often involve equipment you can use at home like a pullup bar or a band (a couple even just use a door frame and a broomstick). He does a pretty good job of explaining what exactly is going on with your muscles, frames it as simply engaging muscle groups you probably aren't aware of in order to have better full-body control, and emphasizes proper form over anything else. I have tried a few of his suggestions and they did help, but as always it's about sticking with it and making some of these exercises part of a daily routine.

Last edited:

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Walk with you chest out, In front of your shoulders. "Lead with your chest."

also, working out me helped immensely.When you do any exercise, you have to have correct form in order to complete the excercise, or you will hurt yourself if you do it wrong. Anyways, my point is, correct form for all exercises forces you to have good posture automatically.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Work on stretching your hamstrings and loosening up the hips. Your in for a world of hurt in your 40s if you continue with that tilt of yours.

Edit: Good shout out for AthleanX. His vids helped me out.

OP
OP
V23

V23

Oct 27, 2017
I've downloaded a 'habit tracking' app and will try to do daily stretches (from YouTube videos) but who knows how long I can keep it up for...

Oct 25, 2017
Atlean-x videos on this very topic should be your next stop. He's basically the only exercise youtuber that knows what he's talking about.

Edit: dammit, did not see the previous mentions. Sorry about that.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My posture sucks. I have 'nerd neck' and anterior pelvic tilt. I know these are pretty common with modern sedentary lifestyle and excessive phone use, but has anyone managed to correct there's? Can it be done at home or is a gym/physio required?

You can do sports at home with weights. Do the correct form (use a mirror and videos or ask someone to watch you) and it will improve by itself quickly.

Enjoy being more self confident and bigger

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've added face pulls at the gym to help my posture and it seems to be working.
18 months of following reddit weightlifting programs (specifically deadlifts here) have helped my posture and tremendously improved chronic back discomfort and mild pain.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Attempting this now. Focused primarily on the glutes so far but that's really just step 1. It will take a long time to really fix it but I think I'm on the right track.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
For hunched shoulders you want to make the opposing musculature stronger:
- posterior deltoid
- rhomboids
- trapezius
Not your lats, as they attach on the front of your humerus (upper arm bone). A good exercise is face pulls, band pull aparts, rows.

For anterior pelvic tilt you want to work on stretching the hip flexor which is constantly shortened from sitting, work on correcting the tilt with strengthening exercise such as hollow body holds (strengthen the lower abs). Likely the glutes need some strength too which can be worked effectively with bridges (don't hyperextend the lower back).

This can all be done at home with a band.

Yoga is also good is you want to get out and about. Joining a class is great for motivation and consistency.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Atlean-x videos on this very topic should be your next stop. He's basically the only exercise youtuber that knows what he's talking about.

Edit: dammit, did not see the previous mentions. Sorry about that.
Don't apologize! I found the dude randomly and every time I post him I expect someone to pop in and tell me he's full of shit, so seeing others bring him up is reassuring.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Don't apologize! I found the dude randomly and every time I post him I expect someone to pop in and tell me he's full of shit, so seeing others bring him up is reassuring.
Yeah, gotta give props to AthleanX. As the other guy said, he knows his stuff alright.

As for the topic, I fixed it quite a bit, but not perfect yet. One of the elements that I believe fixed it was back and leg (hamstring) exercise. All the other stuff is good too, obviously, but for posture back and legs are really important.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Just concentrating on bringing your head/neck/shoulders back when you're sitting/standing up will do wonders, and will be a bit painful at the beginning, but in a satisfying way.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
yeah, you just have to constantly think about it and correct it. like every minute of every day, every time you sit down... all the time

it's fucking tedious but after a couple years your body shape physically changes and it makes it less hard... but i still have to think about it from time to time... and honestly, i could see myself going right back to where i used to be if i stop thinking about it all together.

i honestly can't say it's been worth it lol, but hopefully i'll be thankful when i'm older and have less spine issues (well, hopefully)

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Y'all context clues
maxresdefault.jpg

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, you can eliminate that quadruple-chin look by having your whole tongue flat on top of the roof of your mouth.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
To echo the advice here:

All screens should be at eye level.

Pretend you are wearing a perfectly tailored $10,000 suit at all times.

Stretch daily or seriously consider yoga.

OP
OP
V23

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of good info in here, thanks! I'll start with the well-regarded AthleanX videos and go through the rest of this thread's advice.