• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing through Marvel Ultimate Alliance and wow, they actually used the white Nick Fury (which had been around for years before Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury was a thing) It's so surreal really. But yeah, nobody seems to know that Fury was a white guy before the MCU (The Ultimate version is a costume for Fury in the game if you want to play with that look) The whole thing kinda reminds me of It'sJustSomeRandomGuy's video.

Classic Nick Fury: Hey, I'm Nick Fury. This is Ultimate Nick Fury. I bust my hump for 50 years in comic, he gets the movie. I get David Hasselhoff and he gets SAM FREAKING JACKSON! YOU SUNNA!

Ahhhh... but yeah, it was a reminder of a different time before the MCU became how people saw Marvel, people need to remember there was a history before the MCU. If it wasn't for that history, the MCU wouldn't exist.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't kept up with comics lately but I'm sure down the road he'll end up with some big reveal that he's back (and the main one).That is, if he's not around these days already.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody seems to know?

That may only be true if you don't really follow Marvel, or you're too young to know about it.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
White Nick Fury is boring. Just like white Steve Trevor. I said it. You know it's true.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, wasn't Nick Fury almost in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer? I know Jackson agreed to have Ultimate Fury based on him as long as he got to play him in a movie. ...if so, he dodged a bullet there.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Hoff will also be a murder solving life guard to most people. And pop phenom to others.
And he was in Guardians 2.

Them meeting in the multiverse would be a funny gag though.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Alliance 3 has the real Fury.
Not some cheap knockoff from the 60s.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I miss old white Nick Fury

Ultimate Sam Jackson Nick is great

Nick Fury Jr aka bootleg Sam Jackson Fury sucks

Of course Jr is the main Fury in the comics.

May 24, 2019
Here's current* OG Nick Fury, chilling on the moon.
EZrQ2b2.jpg

*Unless something else happened. I stopped reading Exiles.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
"Classic" Nick Fury still has a rich history despite being considered obselete

There's still Steranko's groundbreaking work with the character:

Ennis' grittier modern take in Fury, Punisher MAX and Fury: My War Gone By:
And Hickman's use of him in Secret Warriors
secret-warriors-22.jpg

I got no problem with Sam Jackson Nick Fury. But that version of the character hasn't been defined as strongly for me.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I think most of it not all characters that show up in the MCU are more remembered for their movie counterparts at this point.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
"Classic" Nick Fury still has a rich history despite being considered obsolete
Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos started in 1963 so he's been in Marvel comics a long time, but that's like a completely different character now in more ways than just looks. From war comics to MCU. He's come a long way with a lot of changes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He recently helped the Exiles out on the moon.

I keep waiting for Uatu to be resurrected.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Im Sorry OP, but even when playing the original MUA, me and my friends put the Sam Jackson Skin on Fury.

I think it's MUA2 the one that doesn't have Sma jackson fury playable because the playable version of Nick Fury is the semi original final boss.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Nick Fury is very popular, he's been in tons of MCU movies and is played by Samuel L Jackson.

What are you talking about?

Edit: wrong Nick!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Im Sorry OP, but even when playing the original MUA, me and my friends put the Sam Jackson Skin on Fury.

I think it's MUA2 the one that doesn't have Sma jackson fury playable because the playable version of Nick Fury is the semi original final boss.

Yeah, they went nanomachines in the sequel.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Classic Nick being The Watcher is so dumb. I'd rather Marvel would have either killed him or sent him back in time to the Cold War for good. I want a new Howling Commandos book too by the way. MCU and Ultimate Fury are awesome and Junior has somewhat grown on me as an agent though.

And people dismissing him as a low tier side character should read Steranko Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD or Secret Warriors. And Fury MAX.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that Marvel ULTIMATE Alliance uses 616 Nick Fury while every other 616 property uses ULTIMATE Nick Fury.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes zero sense except to keep people from asking for him back.

An old paranoid spy turning into someone who sees everything? Doesn't have to make sense logically, makes sense in a poetic way. It's not like we're talking about high art with that particular development.

In reality it was done because the comic books are trying to parallel the MCU versions of characters more and more so they needed to do something to get rid of him, you're right about that. At least that seemed to be the trend a couple years ago when I was still following the more regularly, Hence why Peter quill got rid of the awesome Kree space cop uniform in favor of the really stupid helmet that doesn't have a top from the movies.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
An old paranoid spy turning into someone who sees everything? Doesn't have to make sense logically, makes sense in a poetic way. It's not like we're talking about high art with that particular development.
It's a damn waste that takes him off the playing fiend for a lesser version (his son who happens to look like Ultimate Fury)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
every time I go to see an Avengers movie in theaters I turn to the person sitting to my left, and then my right (I go alone) and say "you know, he used to be white in the comic books".

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
He's the only Fury that matters, now and forever.

It's all a cycle, he'll be back.

he won't.

Yes, Original Nick Fury has been sidelined, likely permanently because His existence was A PROBLEM.

Nick Fury was similar to Captain America in that he had his origins inextricably tied to WW2. However, UNLIKE Cap, Nick Fury remained active from WW2 all the way up through the heroic age.

This wasn't so bad when the heroic age started in 1966, but at present it starts around *2008.* His lifespan was artificially extended via super scientific serums, and then his supporting cast (Dugan, etc) were replaced by robots.

Even his villains (zodiac, etc) had their origins time shifted to be decades later than they were originally....creating the issue that there isn't really a good answer for what EXACTLY Nick Fury was doing for 70 years when supervillains didn't show up until the 21st century.

He had to be sidelined, otherwise his timeline would just get crazier and more nonsensical. Right before they took him out of regular continuity he was canonically single handedly stopping alien invasions for decades with a magic sniper rifle or something equally ridiculous.