• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people instantly dismissing this as "just an eight year old joke"? Seems incredibily unusual given the usual prevailing political sentiments here. Especially given those other deleted tweets with disparaging slurs against blacks and asians...

People fundamentally change. We aren't dismissing the jokes, they're blatantly offensive, we're dismissing the idea that it's an accurate reflection of a man who has aged eight years since then. He's had new experiences, met new people, seen culture and the world change around him.

If we are willing to throw people under the bus for things they said a decade ago then we might as well stop all efforts for social reform and things like awareness campaigns, because what's the point of those if we don't allow people to become better?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Why is quoting Chappelle's Show being tossed around as being indicative of how he thinks or feels?

Because people with suspect motives like to erase context around a thing and attempt to rile up outrage over it, and through that attempt to end whatever career they have going for them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I said dumb shit that I'd prefer I could have not said EIGHT YEARS AGO too. Jesus, if anyone has shown the ability to grow and mature it's him.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda hate seeing screenshots from a tweet where it's dated from 2010 or some shit long ago and then seeing comments from a few hours ago being all inquisitive. Acting like they're fucking shocked, like they just randomly stumbled upon a tweet out of nowhere.

I don't know who this person is, but they definitey should have scrubbed their profile in this post gotcha world.

Nov 1, 2017
When will this behavior end?

This is so clearly a joke I have trouble understanding how one even gets offended by it.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
If people would find out what I said 8-10 years ago I would loose a lot of friends, I was a terrible person and I'm glad I changed. Digging up things like this ain't fair at all. Everyone has done bad things they regret in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If you have a very suspect motive, you can probably find all the time in the world to do this sort of shit.
Other than it obviously being very old with no bearing on who he is now, it is staggering how much of this community clearly don't have jobs / friends / significant others to occupy their time.

"What will I do tonight? Stay in with the missus and watch a film? Go to a bar and see some of my mates? No pick a person and read all of their Tweets from 10 years ago to start internet drama!"

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
People fundamentally change. We aren't dismissing the jokes, they're blatantly offensive, we're dismissing the idea that it's an accurate reflection of a man who has aged eight years since then. He's had new experiences, met new people, seen culture and the world change around him.

If we are willing to throw people under the bus for things they said a decade ago then we might as well stop all efforts for social reform and things like awareness campaigns, because what's the point of those if we don't allow people to become better?
That's all true, but it's not mutually exclusive with people questioning something offensive that was published.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
This thread is like stepping into bizzaro world. An absolute stampede to dismiss and minimize multiple racist jokes because they were "a long time ago". What the hell is going on here lol?

Let me get this straight, digging into anyone's past will reveal racist stuff, and Danny saying racist stuff in the past is actually the fault of alt right trolls for… pointing it out? Have I got that right?

I get that this was a long time ago, but I still feel like it is totally valid to call him out for this an expect some kind of response.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Other than it obviously being very old with no bearing on who he is now, it is staggering how much of this community clearly don't have jobs / friends / significant others to occupy their time.

"What will I do tonight? Stay in with the missus and watch a film? Go to a bar and see some of my mates? No pick a person and read all of their Tweets from 10 years ago to start internet drama!"

This isn't something that started with Era. The twitter replies make that clear. It's a James Gunn style effort, and if it doesn't stick they'll just move on to the next target. Costs them nothing.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Era's reactions were quite different when old tweets were dug up about MLB pitcher Josh Hader, even though he had swore he was a changed person.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mlb-player-josh-hader's-racist-homophobic-tweets-from-years-ago.56130/
Did Josh Hader have years and years in the public eye showcasing himself to not be a racist or a bigot? Did Hader have loads of tweets showcasing his social and political views very clearly?

Also, if you think those tweets are a 1:1 with what is being posted by Danny you're not being honest.

Shocker: 24 year old from Ireland tweeted some dumb stuff before they were in the public eye and before they came to America and may have not known how those things came across.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I get that a lot of people here are big fans of Danny and see him as a shining light in modern games media - I know I do.

I can understand that people feel he's being unfairly attacked for these very old tweets being brought up suddenly years later, but they aren't a good look no matter who it is who tweets them or when they were tweeted.

I'd trust that Danny is the type to take ownership of this and donounce these tweets as inappropriate and wrong no matter the context.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
When will this behavior end?

This is so clearly a joke I have trouble understanding how one even gets offended by it.
It's a shit joke and doesn't deserve defending.

But why its being brought up at all is extremely suspect, as if it's some "ah ha, gotcha!" moment directed towards a guy who has openly talked about for years how he has tried to learn and be a better person. He literally had a fucking podcast dedicated to trying to be better people. And this is supposed to be some revelation?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This thread is like stepping into bizzaro world. An absolute stampede to dismiss and minimize multiple racist jokes because they were "a long time ago". What the hell is going on here lol?

Let me get this straight, digging into anyone's past will reveal racist stuff, and Danny saying racist stuff in the past is actually the fault of alt right trolls for… pointing it out? Have I got that right?

I get that this was a long time ago, but I still feel like it is totally valid to call him out for this an expect some kind of response.

I remember your posts about James Gunn. You're not fooling anyone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
8 years is a long time to change and it's not just aging that changes people. As we develop as a society people change in reaction.

A lot of horrible stuff to say was normalized back then. Then as the years went on that changed. The world moves very fast, not like it takes 100 years to see changes in people.

So no I'm not going to play the game of condemning someone for what they said years ago

Edit: specifically when they have not shown that behavior again in years.

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people instantly dismissing this as "just an eight year old joke"? Seems incredibily unusual given the usual prevailing political sentiments here. Especially given those other deleted tweets with disparaging slurs against blacks and asians...
Because this is a tactic used to discredit legitimate criticism of current day racists. "See, even liberals have history of racist jokes, so if you dislike the racist joke I made yesterday you're just a hypocrite."

Nobody is defending O'Dwyer's joke, but it is in no way representative of who he currently is as a person, and is 100% the result of oversight rather than proof of deep seated racism.

Gardog

Apr 17, 2018
Is this some kind of crazy conspiracy created by the right to make the left seem extremely crazy and drive people to the right?

Because honestly, this thread makes the most convincing argument I've ever seen. Well done.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
yeah he's very hypocrite, I dislike the guy. I didn't like how he was throwing a tantrum and saying that journalists should not reach out to filip miucin and when jason schreier explained that that was a basic principle in a journalist code of ethics he just dismissed it. had to unfollow when khabib won and he was saying that irish fans should beware of kabhib/muslim/russian fans. and when called out about mcgregor's racist and bigoted behavior he said that he had soured in on the guy (while still clearly enthusiastically supporting him). I don't know, there's something that rubs me the wrong way about his overly preachy behavior in social media. Anyway I feel like I'm over examining him through a magnifying glass and my own post sure is petty.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, these tweets are at best tasteless and offensive.

On the other, it appears quite clear why they've resurfaced now and I have no interest in doing the bidding of genuinely nasty and ill-intentioned people.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I'd bet money it was edgelord shitheels who dug this up in the first place and now there's people here playing right into their hands.

What is this supposed to achieve?

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
People are downplaying this because this dumbass alt-right tactic of pulling old shit people said as though it represents them now is gross and that people are normalising it is completely fucked up.

Who gives a shit how old he was when he said it, what matters is whether he's still like that which it's pretty clear he isn't.

In all honesty, how in hell would you even know that? All you see is what he gives you through edited videos he uploads. I don't care how OP found it, and I had no idea it was even a "alt-right thing" people did. If I didn't know now that it was Chappell's quotes, I'd be disapointed as fuck considering I like his videos.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
My point being these people need to turn off the internet, go into the real world, and get laid.

It's staggering how much some people waste their lives.

And this isn't even the worst of it. Incel culture, alt-right Twitter/Reddit, and 4chan are all intermixed with this stuff and the root of it is miserable people trying to make others more miserable than they are. Just a swirling vortex of pain and wasted youth.

In all honesty, how in hell would you even know that? All you see is what he gives you through edited videos he uploads. I don't care how OP found it, and I had no idea it was even a "alt-right thing" people did. If I didn't know now that it was chappell's quotes, I'd be disapointed as fuck considering I like his videos.

How would we know that? Copious numbers of podcasts, appearances, interviews, you name it. He's been a public figure since his early 20's. If you're choosing to believe this tweet tells you who he really is over everything else, you're just creating a bullshit narrative that you know is bullshit.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's all true, but it's not mutually exclusive with people questioning something offensive that was published.

Sure, I agree he should address it, but at the same time it feels like there are obvious ulterior motives behind it being brought to the forefront. This isn't one person directly reaching out to Danny for him to clarify and address what he said, it's basically a hitmob trying to dirty his image with things he said years ago, hoping to rile up people who obviously haven't followed his recent comments.

It sets a bad precedent that everyone should either delete what they said years ago, basically pretending that it never happened, which is far worse in my opinion, or be faced with old mistakes dragging them through the muck with obvious malicious intent.

There are ways to get people to comment on old, terrible comments, but casually dropping old tweets to a ravenous pack of wolves before they even get a chance isn't how you do it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
DqKLrwtUcAE19bf.jpg:large

I wasn't trippin off the first tweet, but if this is real fuck Noclip as a staff, record label, and as a motherfucking crew.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Bad taste, also a different time. Eight years ago, what's with people trying to ruin the careers and perception of non-controversial people with good intentions Jesus Christ.

Edit: Just saw he used the N-word. Yikes, still don't think it's accurate of him but yeah, maybe an apology is needed

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
Boy if I go back to 2010 and remembered how many times I would use words I'm not proud of today. 8 years is a long time to change.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
In all honesty, how in hell would you even know that? All you see is what he gives you through edited videos he uploads. I don't care how OP found it, and I had no idea it was even a "alt-right thing" people did. If I didn't know now that it was chappell's quotes, I'd be disapointed as fuck considering I like his videos.
If you're going to base your whole opinion of him base on a couple of 8 year old tweets of Chapelle show quotes, then it's pretty fair to also base an opinion on what kind of person he is now based on his more recent tweets.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Era's reactions were quite different when old tweets were dug up about MLB pitcher Josh Hader, even though he had swore he was a changed person.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mlb-player-josh-hader's-racist-homophobic-tweets-from-years-ago.56130/

Era's reactions tend to dimish anything that isnt directly offensive to white women or LGBQT+

The James Gunn shit was wholey offensive and so is this.

Its blatant double standards, but honestly very consistent.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So we're straight up using alt right tactics now?

Don't you people have anything better to do than look up old social media accounts?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i just found a piece of stone cave painting dated 2000BC that depicts my ancestors kicking a dog. I am now ashamed of my ancestor's action and deeds 2000 years ago and now going to disown my family and surname.

/s

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
In all honesty, how in hell would you even know that? All you see is what he gives you through edited videos he uploads. I don't care how OP found it, and I had no idea it was even a "alt-right thing" people did. If I didn't know now that it was Chappell's quotes, I'd be disapointed as fuck considering I like his videos.
Danny has been a helluva lot more visible than in 'edited videos' for a pretty long time. He's worked with and is friends with a diverse group of people and seems to be pretty much universally loved and respected.

The Chappelle's Show thing being part of this really showcases how desperate it all comes across.

I'm seriously curious whose toes he stepped on or what social issue he was 'too' outspoken on. It would be illuminating what precipitated this.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
If you're going to base your whole opinion of him base on a couple of 8 year old tweets of Chapelle show quotes, then it's pretty fair to also base an opinion on what kind of person he is now based on his more recent tweets.
Did he say he wasn't racist in his recent tweets or something? How would that change the narrative of the multiples old tweets he did? (based on if you didn't know it was Chappell's quotes of course, (though are they really all quotes??))

Status
Not open for further replies.