• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yep.
But with the TV series, MCC on PC and Infinite... 117 is coming.

DfW0orKXcAAzO6i.jpg

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge Halo fan id say so. I haven felt "it" since after Reach. I'm not a fan of the direction the second trilogy has gone in story or MP(I'm over the story at this point, MP is great, but forge was neutered). My memories are the random game modes and arenas wed make in forge which got me thinking. It was kinda the Fortnite before Fortnite. Most of the creativity came from the community and that's been lacking in every release since 3. If they have a complete forge mode I would be pretty hyped for the MP portion. SP is beyond saving for me at this point. I just want a reboot.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
For sure it has lost a lot of its popularity, but I feel it has a chance now to regain some of that back. With MCC going to PC and Infinite looking like it is, I'm hoping it becomes close to what it was before.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely. Still big though. I used to be a large fan, but today, I can't say I care much anymore. Hope the new one is good though.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo was the only well thought out console shooter for a time, but then MW etc happened. I remember getting Halo 3 and playing it with lots of people, and then we all defected to MW. I've never played another Halo since.

Its not the go to shooter anymore. Its mostly for fans nowadays.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If MS was serious about Halo being big again and Scarlett suceeding they would've taken it away from 343i.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Storywise, the 343 material has been divisive. Multiplayer wise, there's a lot more competition out there these days. And Xbox isn't what it used to be. So yeah. I don't know about sales numbers, but the market has expanded and it doesn't command as large a fraction of the Mart anymore.

Not even remotely true on the xbox part. Xbox as a brand is far far larger than it was when Halo was at it's peak. The problem is multiplayer shooters in the console space have evolved massively. THere wasn't much competition back then.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
If MS was serious about Halo being big again and Scarlett suceeding they would've taken it away from 343i.

Yeah, taking it away from the development studio that was specifically founded to do Halo projects makes absolutely sense...

If MS wasn't serious about Halo, they wouldn't have given them the time and funds for the Slipspace Engine. MCC on PC probably wouldn't have happened either.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be negative towards a developer group but 343 hasn't made a single game that even compares to Bungie's worst Halo games in my opinion.

The Master Chief Collection being highly anticipated on PC just proves my point. No one plays Halo 4 on that collection and no one is clamoring for Halo 5 to be added.

The problem with Halo is that the new developers best games are the remakes of the previous developers best games.

I'm sorry

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There just doesnt seem to be any buzz around the new Halo game; not as much as in the past atleast. Halo was freaking huge back in early 2000 and well into next decade. Maybe it is just me, but is it not on the same hype level as 10-15 years ago?

How can you possibly think there's no buzz? Every reaction I watched of the conference people were hyped about Halo. All the big Twitch streamers were very interested in Halo. The chat was going pretty wild for Halo.

Please don't tell me you're using Era because this is not the place to go for Halo hype.

I hate to be negative towards a developer group but 343 hasn't made a single game that even compares to Bungie's worst Halo games in my opinion.

The Master Chief Collection being highly anticipated on PC just proves my point. No one plays Halo 4 on that collection and no one is clamoring for Halo 5 to be added.

The problem with Halo is that the new developers best games are the remakes of the previous developers best games.

I'm sorry

If you think Halo Reach MP is better than Halo 5 MP than you truly are l-

Sorry I couldn't finish that sentence because I was stopped by ARMOR LOCK.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
The next Halo is a year and a half away on a new console no one has seen or really knows anything about. Ask again this time next year and there will be considerably more hype surrounding it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think there's any question that it's no longer a major figure in the zeitgeist. The last few games have been mediocre and they don't release them that often. Certainly the hardcore are still there, but it doesn't hold the wide appeal it once did.

I suspect it still has decent name recognition though, so I suspect if it gets a marketing push come next gen, it'll still do good numbers.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The main problem with Halo is that Bungie/Microsoft got the idea that story was somehow a big pillar in the Halo brand. The story, at least in the games, is pure trash and not at all why people loved Halo: CE.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Halo is the only reason I got an Xbox One, but my god the games have just gotten worse over time. I'm sure I'll still pick up Infinite on PC though. Halo is one of them games that will always have a die-hard following.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The main problem with Halo is that Bungie/Microsoft got the idea that story was somehow a big pillar in the Halo brand. The story, at least in the games, is pure trash and not at all why people loved Halo: CE.

Speak for yourself. The Story is a massive reason as to why I'm a halo fan, along with all of my siblings. We only ever played local multiplayer and campaign. Hell, for us, Halo was always a campaign game first.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Speak for yourself. The Story is a massive reason as to why I'm a halo fan, along with all of my siblings. We only ever played local multiplayer and campaign. Hell, for us, Halo was always a campaign game first.

Oh for sure, I'm a campaign man myself. But I like the sandbox gameplay and exploration aspects.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, didnt the last one opened at less than 1 million on NPD when it used to open at 3+ million last gen?

It has been in decline for a long time.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but it also has to do with Halo 3 being one of the biggest entertainment things ever when it came out. It was never going to maintain that.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Oh for sure, I'm a campaign man myself. But I like the sandbox gameplay and exploration aspects.

I feel you, the reason I love Silent Cartographer isn't the story of the level, it's just the sheer level itself.

But I'm still very much invested into the overall game stories, and with Halo Infintie acting as a soft reboot, I'm actually pretty excited.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lost a ton of popularity. It was THE shooter before CoD4. Now it's like maybe the 10th most popular shooter if you're only counting Xbox.

It's just another game. I was a big fan back in the day but I honestly don't care that much anymore. Hopefully I'm surprised by the new one

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like halo, gears, uncharted and god of war all went through the same popularity cycle. They were on top of the world last gen and slowly lost thier appeal due to repetition.

God of war is the only one that managed to rekindle the interest to the franchise so far, curious to see how rest of those ips are gonna handle it.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like halo, gears, uncharted and god of war all went through the same popularity cycle. They were on top of the world last gen and slowly lost thier appeal due to repetition.

God of war is the only one that managed to rekindle the interest to the franchise so far, curious to see how rest of those ips are gonna handle it.

You are right about Gears and Halo, but God of War and Uncharted is more popular than ever

Hell, Uncharted has become bigger than Halo this gen

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually somewhat surprised Halo is getting the next gen treatment at the outset of next gen considering its decline in popularity, but MS got that Azure money now and their general trajectory is completely different from how others are operating with Gamepass so its clear subs are their focus now not traditional game sales. Which is very cool for the consumer, seriously I have too many gamepass games and too little time HELP.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry
Just telling it how it is. No need to be sorry. I feel the same way.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019

But they never...GOW and Uncharted are bigger then ever.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
It and Gears feel like real examples of diminishing returns. Im sure the games themselves are just fine but the general excitement seems to die a a bit for them with each new entry.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Its nowhere neat the juggernaut it used to be. The new one should get a boost from gamepass and do well, especially if it launches with the next xbox

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when Halo 2 launched. It was all over the news. What an absolutely mad time that was. I have very fond memories of it. I don't know if it can ever be that big again, but I also don't think it's necessarily fair to expect that from it.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
MCC is the top of Steam Wishlists and the Infinite trailer was trending on youtube. The love for Halo is still here. If Infinite is good there will be a resurgence.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol and given it to who?

Bungie is not an option, so who else?

i don't know but what more evidence do we need that 343i doesn't have what it takes?
at least they could do some real shakeups inside the company. I can almost guarantee that Infinite will once again be lukewarm at best. Not a single thing they've done convinces me otherwise.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've always had a odd complaint about Halo and never quite found the best way to describe it. I absolutely adored Halo 1-3, I was there in line buying the super duper editions and always had friends clamoring to get home from school to continue the campaign and discover how trash we are pvp.

Then Halo 4 came out, it had been awhile, I still went through the motions and stood in line, still have my pre-order poster from Best Buy, got home and me and my friends couldn't even get through the story. The game literally felt unrecognizable to use, a game we felt invested in suddenly felt like a stranger.

The way I used to put my biggest issue into words was the game under 343 seemed to take on the approach of "lets make thinks way overly sci-fi, it'll be really cool", I....hated....it. I hated that guns materialized out of air, the enemies seemed foreign to me, no personality, the game simply lacked any heart and soul that the previous ones had.

Then 5 came out, I didn't buy it, I have it downloaded, and maybe have played 30 minutes tops. I can't even convince my friends to hop on anymore. The Halo franchise is tarnished at the moment, 343 has a chance to turn things around but Infinite is going to have to be BETTER than older titles to get the franchise back on track. It can't simply be good, or serviceable, it has to literally be the shit when it comes out from day one and blow every ones mind. SO FAR, 343 hasn't proved they can do any such thing.

Unfortunately it's the same way I feel with the Gears franchise, but that's a different thread.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually somewhat surprised Halo is getting the next gen treatment at the outset of next gen considering its decline in popularity, but MS got that Azure money now and their general trajectory is completely different from how others are operating with Gamepass so its clear subs are their focus now not traditional game sales. Which is very cool for the consumer, seriously I have too many gamepass games and too little time HELP.
Halo 5 still sold a lot compared to other games just nowhere near Halo 3. 5 mill in 3 months back in 2015.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Combination of PC and gamepass along with cross gen should easily push Infinite to be more popular than any halo game since 3.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It and Gears feel like real examples of diminishing returns. Im sure the games themselves are just fine but the general excitement seems to die a a bit for them with each new entry.

Gears and Halo are like the Goldberg and Undertaker match from a week or so ago. They were great in their prime but now it's hard to watch what used to be great continually flounder and come up short.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Halo doesn't feel like a " event " anymore

More and more people started playing cod so yeah ofcourse it has lost some of its audience

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I think the answer is certainly yes. I also think Infinite could be the highest selling Halo. I don't think Halo will ever have the impact it once had. The impact Halo 2 and 3 had on gaming in general was huge. It's also hard to imagine a game doing more for a specific console than Halo did for Xbox. There are just so many different shooters to pick from that I don't think another game will have the universal appeal those had.

Halo infinite I think will be the greatest selling Halo game though. It's release on PC, and the fact that it is on gamepass while releasing on new hardware is the perfect storm. I think Halo Infinite will be a huge game.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Combination of PC and gamepass along with cross gen should easily push Infinite to be more popular than any halo game since 3.
It's definitely going to launch to the largest user base...ever? (for Halo) Current/next gen console, PC/Steam, Game Pass... lots of people are going to be playing. Pretty excited about that prospect.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Yes, it has lost a lost of momentum over the last decade. That said, and even if it´s not zeitgeist-defining anymore, I would argue that a significant portion of its original (now aging) fanbase still considers it a juggernaut, a system seller. Even after Bungie´s departure and 343´s multiple mistakes, IMHO it has aged much better than other franchises of its era.