• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Did you miss the pc hype a few weeks ago when MCC was announced or do you pick and choose when there is excitement?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Halo has lost a lot of its popularity and I think part of that was due to excess Microsoft started to use it after 3, not to mention the shift to 343 needing to find their own voice.
While i'm sure sales and money data might say otherwise. You look at the launches of Halo 2 and 3 compared to everything after and you notice the loss of it being a "event" when a new Halo came around. Though of course the "diminished" popularity of Halo is still at such a size that other titles would love to be that popular, it's still the first title you think of when you think xbox after all.

I'm hoping infinite changes that for the better. A new fresh spin on the series that gets a lot of people back and offers something only Halo can whether you play SP or MP.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It obviously has. I for one used to be a huge Halo fan, I have all the achievements for all the Halos up to 4 and I've played a LOT of MP (LAN parties with my friends were so much fun), it was one my Top 3 favorite franchises and now I simply couldn't care less about Halo. I finished 5 in a afternoon and barely remember it. I think Infinite has a chance to give the franchise a boost but I really don't think It can go back to what it was.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Cod damaged the MP.
The devs have been damaging the campaign*

*I've only played up to 4, so dunno if 5 is worse than 4, which I thought was a little bit average.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely less relevant. Theres just do mischief competition in the genre now.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking purely for myself, I really enjoyed Halo back in the original Xbox days and I'm one of those lucky people stuck with the helmet from Halo 3. After I played through 3 though, I completely fell off and didn't have any interest in the series again. I tried to get back into it again when the MCC came out for the X1 but the bugs made me drop the game and at that point I was entirely done.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Big Time. From sales to the zeitgeist, it's gone down. But no series will ever stay at the top.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it just doesn't hold the same weight it used to. New IPs seem to be on par or more impacting these days.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Halo 1-3's releases were major events in the industry.

Since Reach (and ODST, but that was a spinoff), Halo has just became another somewhat major release.

Yeah, it's just another franchise now, albeit one with bigger name recognition. Halo 2 was the multiplayer game for a huge chunk of college. I can't remember the last time I've even heard someone I know mention the franchise.

Not sure how confident I am in 343 making Halo suddenly relevant again. They've cranked out way more hilarious disasters than landmark games during their existence. Nothing screams all star studio like spending a full console gen patching one game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Inevitable when each new game looks 95% the same to the outside viewer. That does not grow a franchise, it only makes it smaller over time. At this point everybody knows what to expect from Halo so if I haven't tried it till now, why would I?

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Halo used to be the gold standard for console FPS. There was very little (if any) competition.

Then Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released... Rest is history.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Yes it has and it's due to a messy story line after halo 3 and not being able to play as MC in Halo 5 for more than a just a bit :(

MP has been super ace however.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I would say lack of competition in the shooter genre on consoles was a huge factor in Halo's uprise in popularity.
I also remember Halo 2 being a huge deal as well because of the Xbox Live multiplayer.
However, it seems like Halo 3 was the peak in the series popularity and then declined from there due to more consumer focus on Call of Duty and other competitive games.
To be honest, I stopped being hyped for Halo games after 3. I did like ODST and Reach a lot, but I didn't care much for 4 and 5 as I thought I would.
Although I am very excited for Halo Infinite since it looks to be a soft reboot in the same style as God of War.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
That's bound to happen when the Halo franchise hasn't been good since arguably 2010.

And unlike Call of Duty, where if you disliked the new game you would only have to wait another year to see the what next game is, Halo fans had to wait an average of 3 years.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Of course, just like Zelda and God Of War did a few years ago; look at the revitalization of those franchises now because they veered away from their static formulas. If Halo makes such a drastic change, it can make a huge comeback especially as a launch title!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
COD ate its lunch in an industry that was dominated by FPS clones..it also hurt that 4 and 5 were clearly a departure from Bungie's efforts and it rubbed fans the wrong way.

Do i think they can gain back that insane momentum they had at the launch of 3? No.

Aug 26, 2018
The Bad news: Halo will never be as big as Halo 3. 343i made a lot of mistakes in each of their releases, Halo MCC ( Matchmaking), Halo 4 ( MP) and Halo 5(SP), so technically they haven't made a great(ccomplete) game yet.

Good News: 343i never had the time and MS milked Halo and 343i suffered from it. Now they have time and that is exactly what the franchise needed. Halo Infinite will be a big comeback for Halo in general simply because talented devs if given time will deliver a great game.

Halo MCC by 2020 will be the gold standard of how to make a collection.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Absolutely. My friends and I stopped after Reach cuz it was Bungie's last one.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they do fine, but it's not part of the zeitgeist anymore. For me, I checked out after Halo 4. The only campaign I went through once.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
They gotten back into the mlg scene with 5, I think that's the biggest win 343 has had with halo. The hype train is all here, everyone's best games at E3 has halos cinematic trailer at the top of the lists, and MCC, decade old games is one of the most hyped PC releases of this year. I'm not saying halos as popular as halo 3 and reach was but it's setting up all the right things to have a comeback. A halo tv show, halo esports scene (they literally CREATED MLG gaming on console), and super broad reach (no punt intended) with gamepass on Xbox and pc. Forza 4 is at 10 million players, imagine what halo could do with that many ways to introduce players into playing halo in different ways. The barrier for entry is at its lowest and 343 seems to be hitting all the right notes, halos on comeback and I can't see how you'd see it any other way.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yes, but from being the "it" game at halo 3's time the only way to go was down. It's impossible to the big dog forever, but it has fallen further than I thought it would.

Still a huge franchise though.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 2 was such a huge event, i remember the adverts, The midnight sale of it, Me and friends talking about it all day then all queing up, Felt monumental at the time. MP was so much fun.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
MCC & Halo 5 were a lot of kids first experience with Halo. The game just don't compare to COD and games like Overwatch. X1 & ps4 are a lot kids 1st consoles. The history and respect is not there

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess? Call of Duty and then Fortnite took away the "king of shooters" crown it had with mainstream audiences. It's still popular, but not the top spot. Probably 4th or 5th now.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
why is the thread title even a question? it is a fact that Halo has lost a lot of its popularity.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I personally haven't felt the hype for Halo since the release of Halo 3. After that I just do not get worked up over new Halo games anymore. I always play them but honestly they could completely stop making Halo games and I wouldn't care.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder whether Halo's brand of arena shooting is still viable. Halo 5 has a great 4v4 offering but it didn't exactly light up the XBL charts. Warzone was probably more popular and certainly more profitable.

That said, even if the MP flags a bit, Halo's campaign is still a huge draw, so if 343 manages to shore up that area I think they will reclaim some of the lost enthusiasm for the franchise.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One not being that popular (especially at the beginning of the generation) and Bungie leaving the series along with Halo 4 and 5 having subpar campaigns really hurt it. Bringing MCC + Infinite to Steam will help, but Infinite will need some sort of BR mode to really gain traction assuming BR will still be super popular late 2020. By that time, another FPS sub-type could take over in popularity, but I doubt it unless some other company works their employees to death year-round for weekly updates like Fortnite.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been in a little bit of a rut lately. Halo 4 and Halo 5 accelerated the downward trend started around Reach. But people still really love Halo. It's #2 on Steam wishlists right now, right? Halo Infinite will do better than either 4 or 5 for sure, given Console, Steam, xCloud, and Gamepass. People are still really into Halo, just not the latest iterations.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but from being the "it" game at halo 3's time the only way to go was down. It's impossible to the big dog forever, but it has fallen further than I thought it would.

Still a huge franchise though.
Yeah, 3 and ODST were the last time I was really hyped for a Halo game.

Reach was solid, but I'm not a huge fan of prequels and playing as a mute no-name spartan was a bummer.

And then 4 pretty much killed off all my enthusiasm for the series for quite a while. I didn't even buy it, just rented it from Redbox and beat it in a day. The reliance on the books to fill in the story was really irritating, and the game continuing to use the Covenant as enemies was disappointing (I really wanted something fully new after 3 and Reach) and the new enemies weren't particularly great.

Still haven't played more than the first level of Halo 5. Yet again it seemed to start assuming the player has read some extended universe stuff like who all these new Spartans are, why is Nathan Fillion suddenly a Spartan, why are these people still fighting Covenant and the Robo-dudes (prometheans?).
That kind of "oh shit what's going on?" cold open worked for Halo 1 where it was still building the universe, but 5 games in its not something I'm looking for.

MCC coming to PC is the first time in a long time I've been excited for the franchise, and mainly just to play the games I've already played before.
But Halo Infinity I'm pretty excited for.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Halo pretty much was the 00s, along with flip phones, myspace, ect. some things you just can't go back to

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think if the new game looks really big and scope and epic then people who abandoned the series in the last few years will return. If they can recapture that magic of the original Halo trilogy from Bungie. They need to go big, it needs to be gorgeous, have an epic story, great multiplayer, etc. If they can nail all of this down then I suspect people will come running back.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've sunk months of my life into Halo CE through Reach. 4, 5, and the terrible mishandling of MCC have left me completely disinterested in Infinite. I plan on checking out the new release of Reach, though.