• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's not so much Halo as it is the Xbox brand that's lost popularity, which has impacted the standing of its flagship title.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann was musing on this on the Bombast this week.

I think it's undeniably declined. Halo was the Fortnite of its day. Kids' main jam. But now I feel like it's another legacy series mostly enjoyed by people who grew up on it (can relate: see me in the FFVII remake threads).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And I don't see a lot of hypy online. And it was MS show-ender at E3. That should tell you something.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think it's less that Halo actively lost popularity and more that a combination of more stuff to play and a lessened relevance in this generation contributed to its weakening omnipresence.

It's still tentpole for sure. People still love the brand. It's just not the center of conversation anymore due to the velocity of other titles.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
MCC on PC and Infinite being on XBO, Scarlett and PC is going to do wonders for bringing the brand back into the spot light.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a bit too samey for quite some time, and they didn't show any gameplay for anyone to judge whether or not that was still the case.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
MCC on PC and Infinite being on XBO, Scarlett and PC is going to do wonders for bringing the brand back into the spot light.
I don't think so...Pc gamers are not as into halo/gears as xbox gamers...Halo was on PC before didn't really make a big splash. Pc gamers are not big into Halo or care abotu MS first party much.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I feel it isnt a big game for younger gamers. Back when the original Halo trilogy come out I was in my teens, and I guess most of Halos biggest fans where around the same age. Now im 31 and I am realy looking forward to it, but I dont have time to hype on forums, talk about it ect. There is probably alot like me aswell. I think Halo has a hard task in bringing in new fans and keeping Halo veterans happy.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
You should see how the PC community reacted to MCC on PC.

A lot of people are really thirsty for a good Halo game.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
MCC coming out on PC might be the shot in the arm the franchise needs.

Jul 18, 2018
The Halo anniversary or whatever coming to steam got lots of hype....
The new one, not so much...

Because they didn't even show anything!!! Even with the above set, the gameplay videos aren't even out there. So how can people even get hyped for Infinite when all we get is CG cutscenes

Vasto

May 26, 2019
What are people supposed be talking about when we know nothing about the game and have seen 0 gameplay? Also Halo is not new anymore.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. Everyone likes to complain it's cause Bungie's not there anymore, but Reach was met with a ton of hate after it came out and people were very unhappy with sprint, bloom, and various armor abilities (alongside maps that didn't stand out like those from 1-3). Then, 343 doubled down with 4, which was pretty bad, and the MCC, which was a disaster for months afterwards. H5 recovered decently, but all the mishaps drove people away. Even then, H5 wasn't perfect. BTB being axed for Warzone or whatever and a lackluster campaign where they try to force Locke on you certainly didn't increase it's popularity.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
What "reaction"? What does that mean for overall sales/impact? Are you talking just internet forum reactions? Because that means squat . Most people don;t post on forums.
No, general reaction seems great even outside of forums, seeing it being the #1 wishlist item on Steam is also really good too.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Its still very big, but not as big as it was when halo 3 was out.

With that said, we very well could see a lot of growth within the next two years considering PC release, plus Halo Infinite.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Directly related to xbox console sales and changing of hands to 343.

Still a massive gaming icon that you can always expect a comeback from.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Many of its fans were focused on MP and they've had to look elsewhere over the years.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There just doesnt seem to be any buzz around the new Halo game; not as much as in the past atleast. Halo was freaking huge back in early 2000 and well into next decade. Maybe it is just me, but is it not on the same hype level as 10-15 years ago?

The PC side is buzzing with excitement over MCC arriving. Maybe there's less hype on the console side because the next release is a ways away?

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Speaking for myself, I just can't bring myself to be excited about Halo anymore. I loved Halo 1 and 2. Hated everything in 3 and beyond.

That said, I think they can turn it around. I feel Halo Infinite is going in the right direction.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not as popular since H3, but it feels like its going to come back strong with 6.

Next gen hardware + flagship first party with new tech, AAAA budget, its going to be massive. If 343i make a 90+ MC Halo then it will easily surpass h4/h5 sales. Its not going to reach H3 levels, nothing will, but the thirst seems to be there again and 343i are saying all the right things.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The series is just dormant. Halo 5 is the only real major release since the Xbox 360 and came during a time when the Xbox One was in its sales (and social) slump. Assuming Infinite hits as a crossgen title and is amazing I can see it turning a lot of heads and selling a lot of consoles come next holiday season.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes no doubt it has and Halo 5 only killed it even more.

However it is still one of the biggest gaming IPs in the world

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The series is just dormant. Halo 5 is the only real major release since the Xbox 360 and came during a time when the Xbox One was in its sales (and social) slump. Assuming Infinite hits as a crossgen title and is amazing I can see it turning a lot of heads and selling a lot of consoles come next holiday season.
Day and date on PC will also raise general mind share since that's a whole community that won't have to wait.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, Halo 2 & especially 3 were pop culture moments.

It's been downhill since Reach.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I've never had an Xbox, but back in the PS3 days it really hurt that we didn't have Halo.

Now though on PS4 I don't think any one of us bothers thinking about it any more. It's lost a lot of its mindshare that's for sure.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
D4FZqPLXoAAcEbY.jpg

No.
giphy.gif

Jan 4, 2018
The last trailer was underwhelming and lacking epicness. I'm sure the game will be great but people are waiting to see more I guess.

Halo 4 was disastrous (campaign, multiplayer, everything...) and Halo 5 story was terrible (multiplayer greatly improved though, it's one of the best in fact).

And by the way, fighting Prometheans and evil AIs is not exciting. They are terrible enemies compared to the Covenant.

#BringBackTheCovenant

Last edited:

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, Cod4 happened and then they answered with Reach multiplayer and Halo 4
hhh4.png

Haven't even touched Halo 5