• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
Halo 4 and 5 weren't very good. So this should come as no surprise to anyone.

Also: no gameplay, no hype.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
As a pretty severe Halo fan since 2004... obviously it's not as popular. There is no way you could argue otherwise. There are a lot of reasons why it's faded, both issues with the franchise itself and big shifts in the market.

But there's a lot of stuff to look forward to, with MCC on PC and Infinite as a next-gen launch title.

I expect a pretty gigantic marketing blitz in the next year and a half for Infinite, so while it's probably not gonna be Halo 3 levels of craziness but it's going to be pretty hype.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo being a launch game for me does so much for the brand once again. There's going to huge rush to pick up Scarlet, and everyone will pick up Halo for it, theres an opening for MS. I pray 343i deliver on the SP side. I know they'll do an amazing job with the multi (like they did with H5).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
D4FZqPLXoAAcEbY.jpg

No.
Nice
Nope I expect the next one to be the biggest ever , it will do great on xbox game pass steam and windows store.
This. could be the biggest one yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say it has lost a great deal of popularity. At least for me it has. There was a time when I was chomping at the bit to know more about Halo 2 and 3, now it feels like just another fps franchise in a sea of them. Seeing a big green suit of armor with little personality walking out of the shadows slowly to guitar riffs and orchestra just doesn't do it for me anymore.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
One mediocre and one shitty game will do that to a franchise... They still can recover from that though, so we will see once Infinite is out.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
You cant really judge whether a franchise is still as popular or not only by who buys it today. A great game will sell great, but a bad game will sell much less. That doesnt mean a franchise isnt still popular.

The games will sell at the same level of its quality. Halo5 was a bad game, thus declining sales. A great Halo game will sell more. The franchise itself is still full of potential.

Thats like saying DC comics is losing popularity cause the BvS movie or Justice League did ok financially. They arent losing "popularity" at all, people just dont wanna go see an average movie, just like people dont wanna play an average Halo game.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I think Infinite can bring it back. There is still a generation of gamers who have a lot of love for Halo, and an entire generation who never got the opportunity to play it in the hay days. Launching with the console and presuming it's great, I think it can definitely be poised for a come back. 5 years is the longest they've had to make a halo game, should be an interesting ride either way

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Call of Duty stole their multiplayer thunder, and a lot of people probably stopped caring after 3 when the trilogy ended.
Nah. Reach was one of the best selling Halo game and it came out after the CoD games reestablished the genre. It was only once people played reach and then the series continued to stop being what it was to try and accommodate the cod population of players that the numbers started to drop off. People conflate its demise with cod too much, it wasn't that cod stole its thunder, its that cod stole its identity.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no.

On paper the series sells more or less as well as it always has, but from a relative standpoint it isn't as relevant at all.

The series still sells millions upon millions of units but nearly twenty years after the series hit (yes it has been that long and yes you are that old) these numbers aren't that impressive.

Blockbusters, hell even megablockbusters aren't that rare in gaming anymore. And due go gaming's wider appeal it is very uncommon for series to hold the glut they once had.

Not saying that there aren't any that haven't managed this, Grand Theft Auto and Mario Kart still pull in the numbers relative to the market size but they are the exceptions.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're using youtube trailer stats then yeah

Filters: "This month" and "View Count"

Most view is at 1.9 million after 2 days. Second is 1.5 million. After that the views don't reach a million...

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's also the prime example on why you can't just shift another team to an established IP and act like it's going to be as big as ever. It never works like that. It's developers that make franchises great, the IP alone isn't worth shit compared to the brilliant team behind it.

It's why I doubt that 343i can ever fill the void that's left by Bungie and why I very much dislike Microsoft's strategy of just putting new teams on established IP's instead of letting them make brand new games. But who knows, Infinite might be a clean slate.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a Halo player but yeah, I agree that the competition has grown (COD, Overwatch, Fortnite), really lose Halo's popularity. Those games can be played on other consoles - including Xbox systems, while Halo is exclusive to Xbox and PC.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yes but the number of options out there is different from the time Halo 3 was out.

Infinite has a chance to turn somethings around. It wont ever be Halo 3 again, but coming in on a new console and opening back up to the PC crowd could really do wonders if everything hits right.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Reach was one of the best selling Halo game and it came out after the CoD games reestablished the genre. It was only once people played reach and then the series continued to stop being what it was to try and accommodate the cod population of players that the numbers started to drop off. People conflate its demise with cod too much, it wasn't that cod stole its thunder, its that cod stole its identity.
I think COD4 is still ultimately the epicenter of it. Reach very clearly tried to take a few lessons from COD4 and factor them in.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann was musing on this on the Bombast this week.

I think it's undeniably declined. Halo was the Fortnite of its day. Kids' main jam. But now I feel like it's another legacy series mostly enjoyed by people who grew up on it (can relate: see me in the FFVII remake threads).
Any idea what episode it was? I'll be interested to check it out.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears is Resident Sleeper lately but Halo Infinite looks very promising.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it lost some popularity due to Xbox One woes this gen but launching with Scarlet is smart. will do great on PC and game pass too.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I don't think so...Pc gamers are not as into halo/gears as xbox gamers...Halo was on PC before didn't really make a big splash. Pc gamers are not big into Halo or care abotu MS first party much.
You must have missed all the reactions to MCC coming to PC, and how quickly people got into that that non Microsoft supported Halo Online thing. There is a very eager pc audience waiting.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think COD4 is still ultimately the epicenter of it. Reach very clearly tried to take a few lessons from COD4 and factor them in.
But reach sold almost 10 million copies, 1 million short of 3 (which was the apex of the trilogy). Halo didnt just fall off a cliff once the modernwarfare games rose to prominence. They slowly began falling as Halo began to become more and more like those games and less and less like the OT series.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Well it's been way too long since the last game, and that game in particular sucked ass, so I think it's safe to say it's not as popular as it once was.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised by yours? Nothing i said was outlandish, maybe stop obsessing over what someone else posts?

It very much is outlandish. Don't really think you have followed the various communities outside of this forum, because people have asked for Halo on PC for years. That has been arround ever since Halo 3 and isn't just a recent trend.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
But reach sold almost 10 million copies, 1 million short of 3 (which was the apex of the trilogy). Halo didnt just fall off a cliff once the modernwarfare games rose to prominence. They slowly began falling as Halo began to become more and more like those games and less and less like the OT series.
That's kind of what I mean though.

COD4 happened and became a phenomenon. Reach was basically Halo's response to that, and after that it was slowly downhill from there. There's an argument that Reach sold as well as it did because of Halo 2 and Halo 3, but the changes found in Reach and the subsequent titles ultimately started slowly turning people away. And all of that can be traced to Bungie feeling like they needed to take a few queues from what COD did.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Umm yes.

Halo 5 was a good game, but it wasn't a good halo game or even the best Xbox one game. What 343i is saying about infinite is true, I can see the next game being a huge success. It can for sure get a large player base back. But it won't be anywhere near halo 3 levels of hype. Ever.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Halo 3 sold like 14.5 million copies.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I think another reason is the decline of Xbox itself. I'm on PS4 now so I can't play halo even though I very much would love to 🙂

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This week's "closed E3 envelope" podcast number 587:Tac-Yak.

He doesn't go on at length. It's more him framing his hopes for Infinite to recapture some glory for the series.
Thank you!
That's kind of what I mean though.

COD4 happened and became a phenomenon. Reach was basically Halo's response to that, and after that it was slowly downhill from there. There's an argument that Reach sold as well as it did because of Halo 2 and Halo 3, but the changes found in Reach and the subsequent titles ultimately started slowly turning people away. And all of that can be traced to Bungie feeling like they needed to take a few queues from what COD did.
Yeah. I think a lot of it with reach was Bungie wanting to experiment for destiny as well. And then 343 came along and had that ground work for them, and instead of making it a one off decided that framework would be the future of the series and it hasn't come close to reaching the same success since.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes - they will have to deliver with the next game if they wanna ever again compete with the Top Dogs of the industry.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
It very much is outlandish. Don't really think you have followed the various communities outside of this forum, because people have asked for Halo on PC for years. That has been arround ever since Halo 3 and isn't just a recent trend.
Good lord...people need to follow the conversation instead of jumping in with quick takes. I was replying to someone who said it will be as big as it's ever been because gamepass/PC, never said no one on Pc wants it. I disagreed with that nothing more. It is simply nor near as big as it used to be, halo has been on PC before and never set the world on fire. Pc is a different market.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think a lot of it with reach was Bungie wanting to experiment for destiny as well. And then 343 came along and had that ground work for them, and instead of making it a one off decided that framework would be the future of the series and it hasn't come close to reaching the same success since.
In hindsight Reach really does feel like a small beta test for some of the ideas that led to Destiny

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, lots of franchises have surpassed Halo in terms of popularity since 2007: COD, BF, Overwatch, Destiny, Fortnite, Pubg...
sure most of these are multi-plattform, but it is what it is.
I wonder if it's even bigger than Rainbow Six Seige when it comes to active users/ viewers.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The Halo Infinite trailer/cinematic just wasn't very good imo. It was 6 minutes, every scene felt rushed, and yet it didn't actually feel like anything of note happened. It just wasn't directed to be an E3 trailer and it shows.

Obviously it's lost some popularity as well, but I don't think that trailer did the game any favors.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Halo 3 | Games | Halo - Official Site

Halo 3 is the epic conclusion to the trilogy that started the Halo saga.

"Developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft, Halo 3 is the concluding chapter in the Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon, selling more than 14.5 million games worldwide"

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
After halo 3 I felt people didn't really care since COD took over but I think the new halo will be big. I just want some classic halo gameplay with a few twist.