• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, because the focus was taken off of Master chief. Master Chief is Halo as in Halo is Master Chief. 343 made some odd decisions in Halo 5.

Hopefully Halo Infinite brings it back to what it once was.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I remember being shocked and appalled that Modern Warfare 1 MP was more active on XBL than Halo 3 MP back in 2007. It's been declining ever since. It didn't really affect me personally, since for me MP was always more of a "friends on the couch" thing, and then a LAN thing, but not really an internet thing, I had pretty much hung up my gloves already by the time Halo 2 put XBL on the map. My own fandom finally fell off after Halo 5. For me that was the first truly mediocre Halo game.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there was a point, probably around the release of Halo 2, when Halo was like fortnite-level popular. Okay maybe not that popular, but really popular. I had friends buying 360s to play Halo who hadn't been Halo fans prior, I constantly heard about it in different social circles, etc.

These days the only time I hear people talking about Halo is when Microsoft mentions it.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it lost some of its popularity. They wouldn't be doing a "spiritual reboot" with Halo Infinite if 4-5 had a better reception and public mindshare. This happened due to mediocre campaigns, bad muoltiplayer in 4 and Reach, no BTB maps in 5, etc.
i don't know but what more evidence do we need that 343i doesn't have what it takes?
at least they could do some real shakeups inside the company. I can almost guarantee that Infinite will once again be lukewarm at best. Not a single thing they've done convinces me otherwise.
You know next to nothing about the game but you can almost guarantee that huh? lol

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Halo is a dad's game by now.

I never saw the appeal anyway, what with the motocross helmet, the silly squeeky aliens in a serious war narrative, the lack of proper character and vehicle design beyond mimicking Aliens 2, and the Dorito-Dew association. I guess it had good shooting mechanics and level design, but otherwise, its popularity seems mostly to stem from the wallet of Microsoft.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I feel it's gaining much of it back again post 5. I'm expecting 6 will be it's first big jump in a long time.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn near 20 year old IP. There was a very obvious peak period for it and slow decline since.

It happens. Very few brands like that can stay consistently popular. its the major downside of Microsoft's "franchise factory" philosophy they had with Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and something I hope this new vision for Xbox Game Studios moves away from.

Eventually, no matter how hard you try the audience just moves on and the brand needs to go on the shelf for a while.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes but Infinite has a chance to regain popularity in a similar way to God of War 2018 did after Ascension.

Also consider that we've only had one Halo FPS this gen and it wasn't great, and also on a console that nobody wanted at the time it released.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a damn near 20 year old IP. There was a very obvious peak period for it and slow decline since.

It happens. Very few brands like that can stay consistently popular. its the major downside of Microsoft's "franchise factory" philosophy they had with Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and something I hope this new vision for Xbox Game Studios moves away from.

Eventually, no matter how hard you try the audience just moves on and the brand needs to go on the shelf for a while.
In most cases I'd say you're right, and the same probably goes for Sony too, but then how does one explain Nintendo's constant success with using the same IP over and over? The reinventing of their IP over time? I think Microsoft and Sony both try to chase the same thing, having brand mascotts and deep wells of IP that they can rely on to sell time after time, but neither seem to have found massive success with it.

The reinvention thing would be backed up by the recent God of War game, though. The IP's popularity declined and then bumped way back up as soon as they tried something new with it. It's an interesting thing.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Has it lose some popularity ? Yes.
Is it still a popular game ? Yes.

Yeah, I feel this is how I see it. Halo releases will almost assuredly have a ton of buzz around them but I don't feel the same fervor around the franchise that existed around 1, 2 and 3. Too many mediocre games and it being moved to a different studio. It absolutely can make a huge comeback, though. Like pswii60 said, God of War was in the same boat.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this even a question? Halo's popularity has taken a huge decline for years now.

It's really depressing as someone who loves 343's games. I hope Infinite will bring the series back up for everyone.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely.

It went from the console online multiplayer game, to a merely recognizable IP with a decent install base.

Having said that, I can easily see a future where it recaptures its former glory - especially considering it'll be on both Xbox and PC - on top of its inclusion on Gamepass.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely.

It went from the console online multiplayer game, to a merely recognizable IP with a decent install base.

Having said that, I can easily see a future where it recaptures its former glory - especially considering it'll be on both Xbox and PC - on top of its inclusion on Gamepass.

I'm hesitant to say it lost its popularity. It seems like a similar ampunt of people are still playing halo, but I can definitely see a world where Halo Infinite reaches 20 million players, and creates a huge splash.

I think they are nailing the art style and tech so far. If they can nail the campaign, and include many of the features of Halo 5 at launch, then this could be huge (all main MP and co-op modes, forge, custom game browser, split-screen, plus innovate).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely did. Doesn't mean they can't turn it around though. Zelda and God of War managed to as well.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Halo is an old persons game now. Halos target demographic probably weren't even born when Halo 3 came out.

However, it has a god send of an opportunity to reclaim its former glory. They could really nail this and turn into a juggernaut again.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Halo is an old persons game now.

Probably has a good send of an opportunity to reclaim its former glory though.

That's an interesting idea -- Call of Duty has gone through several reboots (WWII, Modern, Future, Back to WWII, Future, then back to Modern) and they've changed up systems with every game to keep things "fresh."

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
it's almost like the dev made 2 games in the series before and they were both bad.
Well Halo 4 and 5 were not bad games. They had bad pieces to them and also good pieces. They weren't peak Halo, but they were a hell of a lot better than a lot of games being made out there today. Both reviewed well and found commercial success, just not to the extent of bigget entries in the series. But to suggest that they are bad games or poorly made is ignorant and feels like a hot take.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
MCC on PC, Halo Infinite on PC, both being on gamepass on both platforms. Halo Infinite will be more popular than any other Halo. Calling it now.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It's been on a decline since COD gained popularity with Modern Warfare

Which is ironically when Halo started to copy COD gameplay mechanics. I don't think Halos decline is just because COD exists as Halo 3 was always number one or two in the most played lists for years after it came out. Halo lost its gameplay roots with Reach and has been on a downward spiral ever since as Halo has tried to adopt "Current" gameplay trends making it feel nothing like Halo.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Undeniably. A few of hardcore Halo fans I know stopped playing with 4. They weren't fans of the multiplayer and didn't like the changes 343 made.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Once Infinity drops itll go back up again I feel. Sure it wont be to the heights of 3 but itll be higher than anything after 3 dropped.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely did. Doesn't mean they can't turn it around though. Zelda and God of War managed to as well.

They both managed, indeed. But that certainly wasn't a quick win for the respective developers. Nothing shown so far indicates that Infinite will take the same risks to reinvent the IP. It's - just another Halo. No chance that this gets even close to the massive success of Halo 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems that way after Halo 3. A meandering story and more multiplayer competition will inevitably do that.

Infinite will be huge if it's a launch title though.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
People lost their shit over old halo games and reach. Halo's fine. Halo 5 sold like 5 mill in 3 months, definitely not the greatest in terms of halo but it's nowhere near bad 🤷🏾‍♂️. A bad console launch an shitty campaign definitely didn't help. That's why 4 did so well (even though the MP was dead after a year) compared to 5, 360 was batter success at the time.

An halo infinite's been in trending for the last few days. Even the halo community isn't going crazy over ANOTHER engine trailer. Can only get hyped for that so much, at this point most of the community's just like "Ok that's cool and all but let us know when we have gameplay." The book, merchandise, all halo memorabilia is stills selling like hot cakes like it always does, halos about to get a big budget tv series, MCC is coming to PC and is super hyped in that regard. If anything I'd say halos is NOW popular again.

Before it the community was essentially dead, no games some comic books here and there but nothing big to have anyone talking. But to ignore how massive MCC is for PC is ignorant, just shows you that the brand still has a lot of power if you can get modern day PC players hyped for decade (seen someone right this fact off because they were bungie games like halo 4 isn't in that collection and halo 2 anniversary basically being a new game) old games. I'd say halo's in the best position possible to make a comeback, but overall, yeah it did lose a lot of its popularity over the years. Sure as hell ain't close to being dead but the last halo game came out like 5 years ago, what were you expecting?? Plus sea of thieves has EIGHT MILLION PLAYERS. Gamepass is a guaranteed success now, imagine with infinite being on steam, pc gamepass, Xbox gamepass, xcloud and all that will do for halo's popularity.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Definitely. But I think that Infinite on Scarlett's launch and MCC on PC will revitalize the franchise quite a bit.

Yep! It could possibly be what BoTW Zelda was to switch. I mean, Zelda wasn't tanking as fast or harder than Halo, but the most recent release before BOTW - skyward sword - seemed to get a pretty lukewarm response.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
From its height, absolutely. It's still a huge IP, but it's not the be all and end all it once was. Which is fine - hopefully that allows devs to rediscover what made Halo its own thing.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
343 messed up : early with the Masterchief Collection and then with Halo 5.

I hope they get things right with Infinite. If they do, the franchise will be very popular again.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Reach had a huge drop off with fans then 4 killed it. Mcc looked promising but then fucked up massively and the Xbox One didn't have the best reputation at the time. Halo 5 gave people hope for the multiplayer and that's where we are at now.

Infinite reverted to an actual Halo artstyle and has Halo sounding music. Now we just need to see the gameplay.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They both managed, indeed. But that certainly wasn't a quick win for the respective developers. Nothing shown so far indicates that Infinite will take the same risks to reinvent the IP. It's - just another Halo. No chance that this gets even close to the massive success of Halo 3.
Hm, we haven't seen enough to know either way, imo. But yeah, with the others we knew from day 1 that they were something special.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Halo has been on a downward trend since 343 took over, afaik Halo 4 sold less than 3 and Reach, and Halo 5 sold even less than 4. Nothing seems to suggest Infinite will do any better, there are many other games this E3 dominating the talk. On top of the 343 effect, there is just too much competition. All these GaaS, live service games, BR titles, f2p shooters are taking people's time.

They should've taken a page from SSM book rebooting God of War. I don't think another FPS game with the Chief is the answer to Halo problem.

It's been on a decline since COD gained popularity with Modern Warfare
Not really, Halo 3 was huge even with CoD4 Modern Warfare in the same season releasing.

Oct 28, 2017
It once was the golden standard for FPS games both single and multiplayer and now its not. I'd argue its not even microsoft's biggest IP anymore.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Its not as big as it was in the Halo 3 era but its still a big franchise. I think Halo in general still has a unique original sandbox and game-feel with the floaty jumps and fire-from-the-hip gunplay. I love it, and no other games really try to copy it. Ill always be into the gameplay I just want the Infinite campaign to be amazing

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Some? A lot, OP. I remember when a Halo launch seemed like the biggest thing on planet, e.g. better than sex. Halo 2 launch was cray. Maybe three also. It's all gone downhill since.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
its not even in the Top 10 NPD List of Microsoft biggest market, while Halo 3, Halo 4 and Reach were juggernauts back then, making it into the Top 15 List of the best selling exclusives between 95-2018

D7wDFo0UEAAk--O.jpg

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised this question even needs to be asked.

It's been downhill since COD4 launched. Still, a big franchise, of course.

If Halo infinite does not hit real big, they should retire the franchise for about 10 years, then come back with a reboot and some new ideas.