• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I just now learned there's a Halo 5 from reading this thread. Could've sworn 4 (or Halo Wars 2) was the last one. That's... not a good sign.

Series peaked at 2, imo. Last time I really seen a ton of hype around a Halo release was 3, though.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit, but it could regain its popularity if Infinite is a rework/reboot of the series a la God of War.

Feb 1, 2018
343 ruined the franchise + SO MANY other FPS and online games took over in popularity through the years, filling up the vacuum that was once occupied by Halo 2 and 3.

Halo is just a shell of what it once was, I don't think it will ever come back tbh. Competition is way too fierce now (Fortnite, COD, etc)

Oct 26, 2017
The franchise could rebound to a degree if they take the necessary steps to distinguish it from both what is popular now and what was popular 15 yeas ago. I think developing the Campaign portion of Halo is absolutely the right way to go, while keeping the multiplayer smaller scaled but refined with a variety of simple game types and maps to enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
The franchise could rebound to a degree if they take the necessary steps to distinguish it from both what is popular now and what was popular 15 yeas ago. I think developing the Campaign portion of Halo is absolutely the right way to go, while keeping the multiplayer smaller scaled but refined with a variety of simple game types and maps to enjoy.

An open world campaign would be huge if done right

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo stopped being as popular back in 2007 when Modern Warfare released. At that point it stopped being the de facto console FPS experience and the competition only continued to grow from that point on. It also doesn't help that the games that 343 have made haven't been near as good as the Bungie Halo titles. I'm sure player numbers will be good for Infinite though as it will be on Game Pass and PC which opens it up for a whole lot more people to at least give it a try.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo stopped being as popular back in 2007 when Modern Warfare released. At that point it stopped being the de facto console FPS experience and the competition only continued to grow from that point on. It also doesn't help that the games that 343 have made haven't been near as good as the Bungie Halo titles. I'm sure player numbers will be good for Infinite though as it will be on Game Pass and PC which opens it up for a whole lot more people to at least give it a try.

That is simply not true.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again the narrative that cod killed halo is insane. Reach was the second best selling game of the series.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The answer to that question is a resounding yes, its popularity keeps on waning with each passing year it seems.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Halo is just a shell of what it once was, I don't think it will ever come back tbh. Competition is way too fierce now (Fortnite, COD, etc)
I agree that Halo's popularity but this is where I take issue with a lot of posts in this thread. Infinite is probably going to be the most played Halo game of all time due to it spanning multiple generations + PC + Game Pass + xCloud. Especially if they deliver on the promise of a "soft reboot" that taps into the best parts of the franchise...

There's no reason why it can't stage a huge comeback. It won't be the cultural phenomenon it once was (I'd argue very few games reached the level of mid-2000's Halo) but I think it will be a huge game come 2020 and beyond.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is simply not true.
Again the narrative that cod killed halo is insane. Reach was the second best selling game of the series.
You can deny it all you want but COD4's release was the start of the decline regardless of what Halo Reach did. Halo didn't have much competition in the console space prior to that. Did it "kill Halo?" No as Halo isn't dead today. But it did start to cut into that audience and every other console FPS that came after that only continued it.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can deny it all you want but COD4's release was the start of the decline regardless of what Halo Reach did. Halo didn't have much competition in the console space prior to that. Did it "kill Halo?" No as Halo isn't dead today. But it did start to cut into that audience and every other console FPS that came after that only continued it.
Halo 3 was the most played game on Xbox Live from 2007 until 2010. Your statement was that Halo lost popularity when COD4 was released which is untrue.

Disagree. Call of Duty has become the de facto mainstream shooter.

Keyword, "has"! That did not become the case until 2011. Even then Halo imo has always been a better experience, let alone the yearly release of Madden, Fifa, generic sports game, generic military shooter, CoD makes playing each entry in that franchise pointless as it's always a wasted investment because once the new one is out last years edition is no longer supported.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The most significant influence cod had over halo was that it changed the way the game played. Rather than staying in it's own lane and being a different type of shooter, halo tried to take players from cod while retaining it's own fanbase and pleasing neither population in a capacity that recaptured the popularity of either franchise.

Disagree. Call of Duty has become the de facto mainstream shooter.
That means little as to why halo itself lost its popularity, even compared to just it self

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
"Halo has declined/is dead" feels more and more like a mantra some folks need to repeat despite not following what's been happening in the community and 343i. I mean for now, we can look at 5's reception and 343i's struggles with getting the tone and design of Halo right, as well as the extremely high profile catastrophe of MCC's launch. All of that paired with heavy competition in the shooter space and franchise fatigue makes the narrative of Halo not being what it once was pretty hard to disagree with.

But with all of that said, Halo as a series has earned a place among the elite franchises in gaming. While it might not have the same pull as it did in 2007 at this moment in time, a new entry with that innovates as well as captures the spirit of what made the original trilogy such a massive success could absolutely equal or even exceed it's past popularity. Look at what BOTW did for the Zelda franchise for instance.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 wasn't consistently the #1 played game on xbox. It bounced back and forth with Call of Duty even through those years in terms of weekly popularity, and that was just the CoD Xbox 360 crowd. I don't doubt that Halo was being played allot by Halo fans on Xbox, as it was the only place to play it, which may have lead to it being played the most on Xbox 360 through out its life time. Call of Duty 4 was released on more systems, sold more and had a much larger player base across. The discussion at the time was most certainly dominated by CoD4 and its online popularity, leaving Halo behind rather quickly in terms of its cultural impact. And that game was just the start of a much larger story. CoD games released yearly after that just kept getting bigger while Halo got smaller. I still believe that CoD4 was the Halo killer.
Halo is an exclusive title, thus the only way we can compare the series is on the Xbox. In that case it was the most popular title for 3 years straight. That's despite a brand new CoD releasing each of those years.

Halo 3 was the most played game on Xbox live for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

The only time Halo dropped behind was with the release of Halo Reach in 2010. So no, CoD 4 was not a Halo killer.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If 343 continues to do COD style multiplayer with stupid ass abilities and fast combat it will be dead
If its more like Reach and H3 atleast it will be good

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's been downhill sales-wise ever since 3, and while I loved Reach it didn't have the same global impact.

Then 343, instead of focusing on what made Halo multiplayer fun, tried to ape what made CoD successful, turning into a second-rate clone of the real thing. It hasn't recovered since.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
It's tough to maintain the charm with a cipher like Master Chief.

Mario or Nathan Drake are much more appealing.

Additionally, Halo has been having some difficulties in surprising people in terms of gameplay moments. Hopefully Infinite will introduce some freshness.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Yes, Halo was peak xbox 360 from there it has never found a clear identity and lost way too much time following trends instead of focusing on its core. However for an Older generation of gamers Halo is pure golden nostalgia so I suppose if Halo infinite is truly good it can make a big comeback.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I don't have an Xbox this generation but I will probably pick up a used Xbox One X when the next generation starts so that I can play the Master Chief Collection.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Storywise, the 343 material has been divisive. Multiplayer wise, there's a lot more competition out there these days. And Xbox isn't what it used to be. So yeah. I don't know about sales numbers, but the market has expanded and it doesn't command as large a fraction of the Mart anymore.
Basically this. I also hand it up Bungie with how they curated the games, media and discussions surrounding. Man, even when Reach was coming out, people were jazzed. Bungie also did so so much with ODST, it's crazy. Sure, it was short and story did play like an expansion, but the music and noir tone absolutely was hella awesome! They tried something kind of odd the wall and even if it wasn't wasn't what everyone was expecting, it was received pretty well. Also was a test bed for their wave-based multiplayer mode.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I just played some Master Chief Collection yesterday. Halo 3 is a really good and ambitious game.

Although the lack of any contrast whatsoever in their game engine is puzzling.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
MS talked about how for years there will be no Scarlett exclusive-games. Basically everything will be cross-gen with Xbone and Xbox One X for a few years after release.

Which still baffles me, I got an X but might get a Scarlet depending on Halo comparisons. Graphical fidelity can be scaled I guess, but I am wondering what they are gonna do with enemy counts and setpieces.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
The most significant influence cod had over halo was that it changed the way the game played. Rather than staying in it's own lane and being a different type of shooter, halo tried to take players from cod while retaining it's own fanbase and pleasing neither population in a capacity that recaptured the popularity of either franchise.

That means little as to why halo itself lost its popularity, even compared to just it self
Dude Halo isn't as popular as it used to be, let it go. 3 was the high point in terms of hype, marketing, and mindshare. Nobody would claim Halo is more popular than CoD unless they've been living under a rock since 2009.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Halo will reach the popularity and mindshare from when 3 released, but with Infinite being on Game Pass, and on PC day 1, I think it can come somewhat close

Jan 15, 2019
Well, it's not as deeply engrained in the zeitgeist as it was when Halo 2 and 3 released, but this also coincides with gaming as a whole having become a larger market over the last decade. So while it's not as popular in relative terms just as Mario isn't as big a share of the gaming industry as it was when SMB3 released, it may still sell competitively to the rest of the series in objective numbers.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Well ya, Halo was extremely popular back in the day and in a way was the first extremely popular pvp fps (correct me if I'm wrong). It's expected that it would have suffered some decline by now, a lot of games have copied the formula, bungies now longer the dev studio, and we've seen nearly 2 decades worth of Halo games. Ppl are just growing tired of it, Infinite can bring some of that spark back, but it'll never be what it once was in terms of popularity.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's hard to say if it actually has. I feel like the series has progressively abandoned what the original fans enjoyed about it. It's kinda strange how after Halo 3 it took such a sharp downturn.

At the same time tho I feel like I personally care less and less about video games in general so that could be the reason I have zero excitement for the next installment.

Although now that I'm thinking about it if they did a hard reboot I'd be fucking hyped.

Oct 28, 2017
Halo is an exclusive title, thus the only way we can compare the series is on the Xbox. In that case it was the most popular title for 3 years straight. That's despite a brand new CoD releasing each of those years.

Halo 3 was the most played game on Xbox live for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

The only time Halo dropped behind was with the release of Halo Reach in 2010. So no, CoD 4 was not a Halo killer.

Yes we know. Halo 3 was played allot on Xbox 360. But that same site shows that over that 07-09 year period that CoD4, WaW, and MW2 out ranking Halo 3 over the course of those years by swapping positions every now and then as the most played game on 360, with Halo 3 averaging out on top over that three year period. Which is even more impressive considering that this is only half the story in choosing to ignore that the PS3 existed and how large its Call of Duty audience is. Starting with CoD4 the franchise dominated the online shooter space during that generation. After CoD4 people realized that you didn't need to own a 360 to be part of the biggest online game, and it just snowballed from there and got bigger and bigger. Meanwhile Halo sales continued to fall after Halo 3 and the player retention got pretty weak. CoD didn't execute when Halo was on the downfall and the player base was dwindling. It did when Halo was technically at its strongest. It all started with CoD4.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Echoing everyone in this thread, yeah because CoD4:MW killed it. It didn't help that Halo was exclusive to the Xbox while everyone got to play the most popular game over the years on any system they chose.

Oct 17, 2018
Echoing everyone in this thread, yeah because CoD4:MW killed it. It didn't help that Halo was exclusive to the Xbox while everyone got to play the most popular game over the years on any system they chose.
?
beae62868a959a03eabd3361c689004f.png