• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
COD didn't "kill" Halo in the first years. But when you take a look at COD's peak era 2009-2015 where it sold between 25m-30m every god damn year...Halo was no match anymore.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Honest question. I've seen quotes that Infinite is changing minds ...

How does anyone know Infinite is turning the tide with popularity? Are there game play videos out there I am unaware of? All I've seen is CG movies.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
COD didn't "kill" Halo in the first years. But when you take a look at COD's peak era 2009-2015 where it sold between 25m-30m every god damn year...Halo was no match anymore.
If anything I think CoD4 was definitely doing some of the killing. When ign was doing their weekly xbl rankings, there were large stretches where CoD4 was beating it, it often took a map pack for halo 3 to take the lead. Only for some time to pass and CoD would be up front again.

Reach and Halo 4 solidified killing Halos popularity tho.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
343i have a lot to prove after Halo 4 and 5.

How does anyone know Infinite is turning the tide with popularity? Are there game play videos out there I am unaware of? All I've seen is CG movies.

It's just the cutscenes (that might have all been in game man, can't say if it's CG) with descriptions of the game, combined with them going for a more Halo 1/2 vibe when it comes to everything(world, cutscenes, music). There has been no mention of most characters from 5 and 4 yet.

Oct 17, 2018

Nope. There's no gameplay videos, or even any information at all at how gameplay is gonna play out. It's just 343 being like "wE'vE cHanGed, trUST uS" for the 10th time. The only reason people seem to think that Infinite is gonna be any good is because they're changing the art style back to a more classic style, yet my bet is the gameplay will still be just as bad as 4 and 5.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It has lost a lot of its popularity. The last 2 games have been received as "not as good as Bungie's" by lots of fans, last game was released 4 years ago, 6 when the game will release (that is not a long time for a big game, but for a competitive FPS it's quite a wait).

Infinite needs to be really great, especially the multiplayer, to reach the popularity the saga had at 3's time.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Depending on how you look at it, you could contribute it to Xbox losing popularity this gen compared to last gen. I don't know the install base ratios to know if the ratio changed from one gen to the next, but I'd argue it's lost some popularity because the game got more and more MP focused when a lot of the early Halo players loved the story.

Original Xbox was comparatively much weaker than Xbox One in terms of mind/marketshare but Halo had an impressive market presence for all of that, bigger than most of the PS2-exclusive franchises.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, he is right. Halo 5 is a better than alot of games including the Destiny franchise. Zero paid expansions, free content updates, great gunplay, a story mode you can play offline, ect. MCC is also the greatest collection of games ever put together and it's about to get Reach added to it along with a PC Port.

Oct 28, 2017
If anything I think CoD4 was definitely doing some of the killing. When ign was doing their weekly xbl rankings, there were large stretches where CoD4 was beating it, it often took a map pack for halo 3 to take the lead. Only for some time to pass and CoD would be up front again.

Reach and Halo 4 solidified killing Halos popularity tho.

And this was just Xbox, not PS3 and PC. It was quite impressive at the time watching that game slowly become the next big thing. Sales wise and online community wise, it blew up in a way that i never would have imagined in the era of Halo. It didnt even have the crazy marketing, cross promotional tie ins and toys that Halo 3 did. It was just word of mouth in how good the game was. It very much mimics how random games blow up nowadays.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yes and I don't see how anyone could say otherwise. Halo used to be *the* console shooter of its time from like 2001 - 2009, now its just one of dozens. It still has its fans of course, and it still is a multimillion seller, but yeah it's not what everyone buys an Xbox for anymore. The mindshare just isn't there like it was.

None of this means that Halo isn't popular at all, only that its peak days are behind it. Now something like Halo Infinite launching with the new Xbox can boost up the series a bit, and it's coming to PC too, so it can only go up from Halo 5 at least.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
And this was just Xbox, not PS3 and PC. It was quite impressive at the time watching that game slowly become the next big thing. Sales wise and online community wise, it blew up in a way that i never would have imagined in the era of Halo. It didnt even have the crazy marketing, cross promotional tie ins and toys that Halo 3 did. It was just word of mouth in how good the game was. It very much mimics how random games blow up nowadays.
That and like anything else, it's the easier/friendlier game. Kills came easier, it gave you BS kill streak stuff, the rpg meta shit made people feel like they got something done.

Lame game that launched a ton of horrible trends for the genre, but it was definitely the thing that took Halo off its top commercial spot in the genre.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Look this in depth analysis of what happened to the Halo 4 online population in just 1 year
ObFnbQh.png
PmG3gKo.png

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, he is right. Halo 5 is a better than alot of games including the Destiny franchise. Zero paid expansions, free content updates, great gunplay, a story mode you can play offline, ect.

He said ''better than most anything released in the past 5 years'', Halo 5 wasn't even the best game of that month.

Halo 5 was pepper to my eyes, technically abysmal, the worst plot, characters and writing of the entire saga and the gunplay was average.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
+10 ruined online shooters forever, and they never recovered. :(

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, he is right. Halo 5 is a better than alot of games including the Destiny franchise. Zero paid expansions, free content updates, great gunplay, a story mode you can play offline, ect. MCC is also the greatest collection of games ever put together and it's about to get Reach added to it along with a PC Port.
Nope halo 5 is easily the worst halo game ever released, the Destiny franchise is better than it in every way. It's really shown that halo is a shell of its former self. They have finally done right by MCC and its great but i have no faith in halo infinite.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about all this stuff with Call of Duty and console shooters, but I used to be envious of not being able to play Halo on PC and now that it is, I'm kind of past caring. There's a lot to do with that, but there's one personal take.

Oct 28, 2017
That and like anything else, it's the easier/friendlier game. Kills came easier, it gave you BS kill streak stuff, the rpg meta shit made people feel like they got something done.

Lame game that launched a ton of horrible trends for the genre, but it was definitely the thing that took Halo off its top commercial spot in the genre.
+10 ruined online shooters forever, and they never recovered. :(
Haha yeah it certainly influenced a decade of not just shooters but all games for maybe the worse. I'd be lying if I said I felt that way at the time though. I remember really enjoying it for what it did differently compared to Halo. But fast forward to today and I'm not playing CoD anymore and still play Halo 2/3 on the regular.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Multiple sequels, a change in developer and the last few games being good but not amazing will do that to a franchise.

Plus Halo Infinite is still a long way off and we don't know much about it yet. Hoping for the best though.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
As for Destiny vs Halo 5 argument. One is made by Bungie, while the other is not. I thought Halo 5 was actually the WORST entry in the Halo series, which is why I'm honestly not too excited by Halo Infinite.

I've seen nothing from 343 that says they can recapture the magic that Bungie created years ago

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen nothing from 343 that says they can recapture the magic that Bungie created years ago

That's funny because Bungie lost that magic years ago aswell.

B-b-but they've promised us they've learnt their lesson :(
And yet people will continue to support EA, Activision, Epic, Bungie, ect. after poor business practices were implemented into their games and shit treatment of their employees.

It's almost like people like to single 343i out and hold them to an entirely different set of standards than every one else.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I for one am looking forward to the reveal of the rumored rpg mechanics. Everyone know rpg mechanics is what made halo popular.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The people who made Halo what it was are long gone. The only hope they have left is to turn it into something completely new.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Nope halo 5 is easily the worst halo game ever released, the Destiny franchise is better than it in every way. It's really shown that halo is a shell of its former self. They have finally done right by MCC and its great but i have no faith in halo infinite.
Destiny fucking sucks lol the hell. Thought that was common knowledge. Any game that requires paid dlc to become good/whole sucks in my book. Plus the crucible is garbage. Bungie creates mlg, funny how it's nowhere to be seen in destiny but somehow someway 343 got 5 back into the pro circuit after the utter fuck up that was launch halo reach MP. What do I know though I'm just a dude that's capable of remembering shit that happens a little over 8 years ago 🙄.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Halo lost a lot of its identity when it inspired other shooters that did what it did, and then some with newer game mechanics. I loved CE, but that was a looooooong time ago.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Nope. There's no gameplay videos, or even any information at all at how gameplay is gonna play out. It's just 343 being like "wE'vE cHanGed, trUST uS" for the 10th time. The only reason people seem to think that Infinite is gonna be any good is because they're changing the art style back to a more classic style, yet my bet is the gameplay will still be just as bad as 4 and 5.
Ugh, god I hope they don't listen to the non halo fans. 5 has some of the best gameplay in any halo game. 4 was hot garbage in that regard but 5 was sprained across the board for its gameplay. But who cares about critics and pro circuit players that shunned the last 2 halo games (Reach being one of them) and praised 5's gameplay. I really hope they don't listen to the vocal minority on this one. I love playing MCC but I swear if some of these "fans" got a there way we'd be playing fucking halo 3, halo 3 atm is slower than damn molasses. I still play it lol, I love it. It hasn't aged the best that's for damn sure, I never play halo 4 in the MCC I'll agree with you on that, gameplay in that game was not good.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Going to have to disagree with you. I've played the 343 iterations, and they don't really translate well at all. Neither Halo 4 or 5 have done much to advance the series at all, and it has become stale as a result

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny fucking sucks lol the hell. Thought that was common knowledge. Any game that requires paid dlc to become good/whole sucks in my book. Plus the crucible is garbage. Bungie creates mlg, funny how it's nowhere to be seen in destiny but somehow someway 343 got 5 back into the pro circuit after the utter fuck up that was launch halo reach MP. What do I know though I'm just a dude that's capable of remembering shit that happens a little over 8 years ago 🙄.
Yeah and you have no clue what your talking about. Halo 5 is trash and it's the reason halo is looked at with a side eye anymore instead of a primer franchise. Destiny is worlds better than it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Halo 5 doesn't have a goddamn splitscreen multiplayer. You can't play Halo 5 multiplayer on a couch. No splitscreen. In Halo.

The story was fucking abysmal, too.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously Halo has lost its popularity from when it was the biggest FPS game on the market, no question.
Halo 5 doesn't have a goddamn splitscreen multiplayer. You can't play Halo 5 multiplayer on a couch. No splitscreen. In Halo.

The story was fucking abysmal, too.
I have no idea what happened in the story of 5 and I beat it twice. They need to go back to their roots, simple MC vs Covenant or something. They have royally screwed up the story.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously Halo has lost its popularity from when it was the biggest FPS game on the market, no question.

I have no idea what happened in the story of 5 and I beat it twice. They need to go back to their roots, simple MC vs Covenant or something. They have royally screwed up the story.
Like, how do you go: "People like Master Chief, right? How about we make a story that barely features him?" and nobody stops you at any point in the process from writing to development and goes "....maybe we shouldn't do that".

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It's definitely more of an Xbox One launch/total install base issue more than anything else. And the fact that the FPS genre isn't quite as dominant as it once was, at least not in terms of campaigns and arena MP.

H5 multiplayer is pretty great. There's no going back to the slow pace of the old games. Movement is essential to modern gameplay. Can't have a slow arena shooter in 2019. Ain't happening. And they need more progression. I pretty much maxed all the in-game challenges a couple years ago and that carrot is obviously something we all respond to.

The campaign has been dissected a million times. Story is meh for sure (though I'd argue the squad mechanics led to the broken story - I could write a book), but the core gameplay is pretty fun IF you have human partners - - but they f'ed that up by no split screen and no online matchmaking for missions, so when the population slowed...well, that caused issues. The warden fights are so BS solo, and the forced 4-character squad is beyond irritating, especially the banter/verbal warnings.

But Halo as a brand is still healthy. The only ones with the real numbers on user interaction as a whole franchise is MS/343. And you generally don't mount a traveling convention and a (finally) TV series for dead franchises 4 years after the last title.

They just need a new entry in the series.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it is pretty clear that it has. It used to be the biggest gaming franchise in the world pretty much.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Halo 5 multiplayer is incredible and I also think Forge deserves some credit. I have never played a console shooter that gives better tools to build with than Halo 5. People have literally created fricking masterpieces within forge.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
It obviously has, but I'm hoping that Infinite will bring some glory back to that IP (at least quality-wise, especially about the campaign).

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah and you have no clue what your talking about. Halo 5 is trash and it's the reason halo is looked at with a side eye anymore instead of a primer franchise. Destiny is worlds better than it.
Yeah I'll never put a pay to win game over 5's mp. There is no side eye, halo MCC is the second most hyped pc release of this year. It's literally just this threads circle jerk mentality. Destiny 1 was garbage and my facts still stand, crucible is ass. It's big faaaaaaaall from there halo days. I wanted to like destiny, but a game that requires PAID dlc to be good isn't a good game. I'd love to hear your argument besides shouting who's wrong the loudest. Destiny is hot garbage the literally requires a season pass to be fun. 5 actually had good gameplay with free dlc. 5 is easily the better of the 2 AND halo 5 is like what, 4-5 years old now? I still hold the same opinion, since destiny is still pulling the same anti consumer bs. We can debate or argue bro it's up to you. How's halo looked with a side eye yet fucking old ass halo games are the most hyped release for he year lol. I'll say this again as a testament of how good the gameplay was for 5, it's not shunned by mlg scene like destiny and halo reach is. Again, crucible is ass. The rest is shit you have to pay for, I don't remember me paying for the custom game browser or forge or awesome firefight or any of that jazz.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Halo 5 and bad gameplay are such an oxymoron. And I say this as a Halo fan since the first game. Halo 5, to me, is a near-perfect modernization of Halo's gunplay. I'm willing to debate sprint vs. a higher base movement speed (as in DOOM 2016), but beyond that it's incredibly satisfying.
"Halo 5 is trash", incredible criticism. Destiny's PvP can't hold a candle to the balance of Halo 5's arena set-up for me. Balanced maps, no load outs, player skill and teamwork are front and center.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019