• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you sold yet?

• Yes! Day one - did you see the Hellblade trailer?

Votes: 1,001 27.3%
  • Yes, but not right away

Votes: 325 8.9%
  • No, I need to see more

Votes: 948 25.9%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 1,393 38.0%

• Total voters

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
wish we had a poll from the launch of the one to see how this compares. I have a feeling it would have been very different.

Merex

May 31, 2019
I love the foundation and how they're positioning themselves for next generation. I need to see more games though outside of Halo/Gears/Forza. Like big investment into new AAA IPs. Hellblade II is a nice start. That trailer was dope.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I have a feeling that the next Xbox is going to have an amazing year 1 lineup that'll sell a lot of new people on the console.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Let me let you in on a secret. VR is not going to pop off next gen.
People's intuition about VR tends to be pretty wrong, as people claimed it was dead or dying when in fact it's a growing market. As current gen VR gets cheaper, it will continue to validate that growth and even though the next gen versions of VR devices will be cheap at first, they will catch on quicker. Maybe "pop off" was the wrong phrasing. Either way, supporting VR is important to the innovation and growth in the medium and if MS ain't focusing on it it's another reason not to want to support their console over one that will almost certainly have VR capabilities installed at a silicon level.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I'm a brand boy. Xbox 360 did a lot for me personally. I owe gaming and the friends I met over xbl playing ghost recon in 2006 a ton. If you catch my drift.

objectively? The vision is incredible here. Microsoft basicallyforced everyone to be ok with backwards compatibility and cross play. Xbox game pass is the best service of all time. Too many games for an ordinary dude/dudette.connected To a lot of the IP now too. Halo, gears, etc. just can't let them go.
So play on Windows? It's all Microsoft anyway. Even for a self-pronounced fanboy like you, there should be no real difference? It's all Microsoft getting your money.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Not really. Its about the games so until they have a consistent delivery of good exclusive games then its no for me. They don't really even get to first base compared to Sony and Nintendo. But I do think they have made strides to rectify some of the issues they have made for themselves in the last gen , and even on the back end of the 360 era and It looks pretty promising for them in the future.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
So far they've shown the console and a game I'm not interested in.

They have not. Probably around E3 they will though.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm far from sold on any console in the future at this point. Xbox as a platform is out in front for me though because of thier long term backwards compatibility push and integration with PC rather than anything recently revealed.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I still need to see Sony's offering and if I'm willing to pay for a new console or just upgrade my gaming laptop and get something that will last me for years to come.

Still buying Nintendo stuff tho.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It's amusing/worrying how many people still think Lockheart will limit series X games. I mean, this is an enthusiast site so you'd think there was more know how around.
How won't it, exactly? Of course, it depends on what the differences are. But if they are major, there are things that many devs might just not bother with. Just look at how many Pro/X-enhanced games barely look better, despite X being four times more powerful than the base XO.

There are also things that are just hard to scale. If the CPU is significantly weaker, we aren't going to see huge improvements in physics or AI. If the RAM and SSD is slower, or there is just less RAM, one can't expect developers to increase world size or traversal speed much.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
How do you know it's the most powerful though?

Because Phil and MS made statements multiple times in the past about wanting to remain the most powerful console makers. With what we've read of the Xbox SX, there is little doubt that it's extremely powerful and thus will carry a premium price (I'm thinking $499-599) and if Sony is to match them there they'd have to price it to be competitive against them.

And that's where MS is wise, as we've heard rumors (that are all but confirmed with the naming of the Series X) of the Xbox Series S as a second SKU, that will be the more consumer friendly option (I'm thinking, $299-350) that will offer next gen at a more affordable price.

So it's either Sony is gonna have a more powerful console (doubtful) that is within that sweetspot of $399-449 range and swallow a ton of loss based off the tech inside or they have a weaker console that is more reasonable for them at that price range imo.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Lmao it's a year away and there's so little we know about it. I'm not going to consider any next gen consoles til after E3.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass sold me on it. I'm just upgrading my old game pass box for the new one day 1.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
After what is undoubtedly their most disappointing generation in terms of actual games, they have to do a lot more to get me to buy in to their ecosystem. And being the owner of a gaming PC connected to the living room projector, I truly see zero reason to spend money on a box as the exclusives aren't, you know, exclusive.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Because Phil and MS made statements multiple times in the past about wanting to remain the most powerful console makers. With what we've read of the Xbox SX, there is little doubt that it's extremely powerful and thus will carry a premium price (I'm thinking $499-599) and if Sony is to match them there they'd have to price it to be competitive against them.

And that's where MS is wise, as we've heard rumors (that are all but confirmed with the naming of the Series X) of the Xbox Series S as a second SKU, that will be the more consumer friendly option (I'm thinking, $299-350) that will offer next gen at a more affordable price.

So it's either Sony is gonna have a more powerful console (doubtful) that is within that sweetspot of $399-449 range and swallow a ton of loss based off the tech inside or they have a weaker console that is more reasonable for them at that price range imo.

Why is it doubtful that Sony don't want the more powerful console? The original PS4 was and still is better than the original Xbox One, and the X was better as it came out a year later than the Pro with a £100 higher price point. Phil can say all he wants, Sony will not be resting on their laurels as they have a massive install base to entice over, they won't jeopardise losing that.

Sony could easily sell the PS5 at £499 and people would buy it. They learnt from the PS3 release that going above that is a no go.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
I go where the games are at and Microsoft's offering just doesn't do it for me. Not a fan of Forza, Halo or Gears. They need some announcements for new titles.

More Powerful platform than the PlayStation or not, I need to see games, not pictures of the hardware and speculative tech specs.

Game Pass on PC pretty much means anything coming out on XsX that might interest me is already covered

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Why is it doubtful that Sony don't want the more powerful console? The original PS4 was and still is better than the original Xbox One, and the X was better as it came out a year later than the Pro with a £100 higher price point. Phil can say all he wants, Sony will not be resting on their laurels as they have a massive install base to entice over, they won't jeopardise losing that.

Sony could easily sell the PS5 at £499 and people would buy it. They learnt from the PS3 release that going above that is a no go.

Never said it was doubtful that Sony would want the more powerful console, the question is would they. The specs are set to my understanding and Sony won't outprice themselves as they did with the PS3 at launch so according to my logic above I don't see your scenario happening.

But we'll see. I'm content one way or another with what MS is doing with the beast that is the Xbox SX and gaming in general. They've made the most consumer friendly strides in all facets by far no matter how many want to doomsay and "concern" over them.

G Raff

Feb 14, 2019
I was always going to buy the newest consoles so they never really had to sell me on it.

My problem is picking a console to be my main.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never said it was doubtful that Sony would want the more powerful console, the question is would they. The specs are set to my understanding and Sony won't outprice themselves as they did with the PS3 at launch so according to my logic above I don't see your scenario happening.

But we'll see. I'm content one way or another with what MS is doing with the beast that is the Xbox SX and gaming in general. They've made the most consumer friendly strides in all facets by far no matter how many want to doomsay and "concern" over them.

They have done well, but when you are at the bottom there is only one way up. The good thing is the better competition is good for us as gamers.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno anything about the console other than the design. It feels like the weakest console reveal ever. They should have done their own dedicated event early next year. It doesn't even feel like a new console was just revealed, there's barely any buzz or hype.

However I was gonna buy an X to play my og Xbox games in 4K so will just wait for the Series X for likely the same price.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Pretty much. I'm waiting for price and launch titles before I decide if I get it at launch or wait a little. It's usually a good idea to wait (the only console I've bought at launch is the original Xbox), but sometimes you just can't. Since I bought an Xbox One X (or two, actually) this year maybe I'll wait until 2021.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
They have done well, but when you are at the bottom there is only one way up. The good thing is the better competition is good for us as gamers.

They've done great, not well and the only thing I care about is them being healthy enough in business to where we as gamers benefit from it, as everyone should. This is why competition is good, because the things Sony succeeded in made the Xbox platform the best imo

Last edited:

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
No. I am planning to buy a ps5 with certainty. This is because, based on prior history Sony will put out exclusive games that I will want to play.

I am also planning to buy a new pc in 2021. My assumption is that all Microsoft exclusives will also release on pc, so I won't need an xbox.

The_Lump

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, purely because it reminds me of a swole ass GameCube with that compact cuboid design. Plus they ripped of the GC adverts in the reveal trailer, and I got all nostalgic.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They've done great, not well and I the only thing I care about is them being healthy enough in business to where we as gamers benefit from it, as everyone should. This is why competition is good, because the things Sony succeeded in made the Xbox platform the best imo

I agree, but they need to have better exclusives, plus I can't see them thriving on selling GP dead cheap constantly.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I agree, but they need to have better exclusives, plus I can't see them thriving on selling GP dead cheap constantly.

Yep, I agree. Sony outdid themselves with the exclusives this gen. I own most of them and I have been on social media pushing the want/need of MS bringing high fidelity strong narrative games forward along with their usual mix of IP's. I honestly feel they've listened to us on that front.

And yeah, GP wont remain this cheap but that's to be expected. They want to hook us first and then charge a normal price which is fair.

I am still holding out hope they will have.a portable version that utilizes XCloud.

That would be dope but with us all having access to phones and tablets I doubt they will.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm sold on the sexyness and the specs, the price, exclusives and if xcloud comes to Switch or not will make or break it, also Nintendo and Sony are the two companies that have exclusives I'm interested in. Halo has never interested me, Forza has never interested me, Gears has never interested me, so it will depend if there's at least 5 exclusives that interest me.

If Microsoft purchased Konami (console games division) or Metal Gear and Silent Hill in particular, that would probably push me to buy one instantaneously with those games bundled.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I was basically looking at building a PC that has similar specs. If the new Xbox can offer similar power at less cost (plus the fact I have game pass ultimate for 3 years), it's a no-brainer for me.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Depends on how much better Halo Infinite looks on it vs the One X. If there's a notable jump in fidelity maybe tempted. Otherwise I will wait till they start releasing games built for next gen which hopefully won't be too long after launch.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
But how can you be sold if not by hype alone? We don't know much about the hardware and even less about the software, which may I say looks bleak compared to Sony and Nintendo.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I was sold on it the second it was announced they bought Obsidian, all future XGS games were on Game Pass day one, 4 gens of back compat and Forza Horizon 5 was coming. All they did was solidify how cool it looks and how they seem to be letting Ninja Theory make the best game they can. The only thing that could break a day 1 purchase is a price above $700 CAD, but I'm sincerely hoping for $500 or under (not that that's happening with our shitty dollar).

Edit:

Sony needs to sell me on the PS5, but it shouldn't be too hard. Good price, comparative power and PS3 backwards compatibility is key. They have an advantage in that I don't have a PS4 so those games are fresh to me (a similar advantage Xbox had this gen with 360 and OG games).

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes they sold me on a brand that I've been putting more time into since the OG Xbox went on sale. More time than both the Playstations and Nintendo's combined. Better controller. I like the new tower style. I like the service. I've liked the interface. All my friends and coworkers are there. And it has Gamepass which is probably the best shit for me especially since Redbox won't even rent games anymore. Way too much value with that alone. Unless PS5 has anything else aside from TLOU2 and GOW2 I'll probably end up keeping that in storage space until there's something I actually wanna play because Xbox will remain my multi platform go to console.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I bought PS4 first this gen, next gen it'll be series X, day one, as I signed up to GP until mid 2022 for next to nothing. So it makes sense.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
We don't even know the price, hard to be sold on something without knowing how much it will cost. Assuming $400, I think its a great deal, but I'm not personally spending $500 for a console when I have a perfectly good PC.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Despite having a decent gaming pc, I'm still tempted by the Series X for the backwards compatibility and the inevitable console only gamepass games.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
As someone who did not purchase the current gen xbox, I'm very interested. I have missed few titles I'd like to play. But I might purchase the console 1-2 months later.