• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you sold yet?

• Yes! Day one - did you see the Hellblade trailer?

Votes: 1,001 27.3%
  • Yes, but not right away

Votes: 325 8.9%
  • No, I need to see more

Votes: 948 25.9%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 1,393 38.0%

• Total voters

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't seen much, but I'm completely sold. They got a great line-up, backwards compatibility with an ecosystem I own hundreds of games in and of course Game Pass, which I've already payed for up to almost the end of 2021.

My biggest wish would be to see them give up on their franchise factories. Do one game and then do something else and then if the creators want to do more, consider returning to the first game franchise again, in the process making sure no franchise gets more than one installment every generation. Even if that doesn't happen, I'm pretty happy with their line up, but it would be even better if their AAA studios weren't mainly locked into a specific franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass alone is a pretty strong reason for joining the ecosystem, and having the latest and greatest hardware usually comes in turn.

With the iPhone Apple have it down perfectly; convince people they need the next big expensive upgrade.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
That's MS goal to have services everywhere. So I'm using what they've said. If somehow Gamepass made it to ps4. I'd support that.
Not everything is black and white. MS still intends to sell consoles and their hardware isn't going anywhere.

Unless Sony allows ms to force live account sign ins on their games, then there's very little chance you see something like hellblade 2, outer worlds 2, or a new psychonauts on ps5

But you already knew this

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
No, they haven't. I don't even consider it a "next gen console", since MS doesn't deliver exclusive next gen games for it which don't run on an Xbox One. Yes, it's 4 times faster than the Xbox One X, but guess what, the One X is four times faster than the S, too. And no one considers that being next gen. So, until MS delivers those exclusive games for the Series X, its just another iteration of the Xbox One platform, and maybe that explains its name. Once that happens, we can talk again.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not everything is black and white. MS still intends to sell consoles and their hardware isn't going anywhere.

Unless Sony allows ms to force live account sign ins on their games, then there's very little chance you see something like hellblade 2, outer worlds 2, or a new psychonauts on ps5

Not big titles, I'm talking about the smaller ones.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017

... isn't minecraft doing this next week? Thought the PS4 version was getting the big update to allow crossplay and this required it

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Not big titles, I'm talking about the smaller ones.
By small, do you mean third party games like ori?

... isn't minecraft doing this next week? Thought the PS4 version was getting the big update to allow crossplay and this required it
Minecraft is very much the exception.

Not to mention the game has been available on ps4 for years. An update isn't the same thing as something like hellblade 2.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Well if all those games are available on pc as well there is no point for me for an Xbox.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'm sure once there's more information about the hardware and the games Microsoft studios are creating, more people will get on board. GamePass and other Xbox services are very good incentives already for many gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
There you go then, until they prove it I won't be interested. The Playstation + Nintendo combo is still more appealing.

As someone who was accused of being an Xbot last generation, and then switched to PS4...I'm genuinely excited to see what Microsoft can do this time. They will have stellar hardware, and they are making a great effort on the software front.

Time will tell.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
There's not much they can do to sell me on it, I'm locked in on PlayStation platforms cause of my library of games across multiple platforms which will hopefully be backwards compatible on PS5.

I'll maybe grab the new Xbox if the new Halo is any good.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It hasn't fully been unveiled yet. What's the point of asking this question?

We know the name, the look of the box, the controller, its backwards compatible and is more powerful than Xbox One, and a couple games.

Ask this at E3 when we know price, storage size and games coming to it.

This is the kind of thread you should make after E3 2020 :P

No way to answer without info on games and price.
This is the thread you make when you're fishing for a certain type of reaction or starting a certain type of discourse if you know what I mean.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Microsoft should bring their games to PlayStation. That's the only way I see myself supporting their ecosystem. Ori and Cupheqd should come now that Xbox live is allowed in PS4. Console sales shouldnt matter to them as long as I use their serivice.
I'm not sure given your attitude if your their target customer. In the future you will be able to enjoy their entire catalog on xcloud on a phone or browser. I think they've went the extra mile for you at that point otherwise it makes no sense to attempt to please a customer like you. I mean I would love playstation to pit their games on xbox but I dobt feel they owe me that. MLB the show is coming to xbox and who knows what will follow. God of War is on pc on psnow. Death Stranding is coming to pc. Its rumored horizon zero dawn is coming to pc also. Their going the extra mile for me at that point.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Haven't been this excited for a console since the N64 wait.

And what the fk is up with that journo being confused. Really bizarre.

Oct 27, 2017
The unceremonious reveal hurt my enthusiasm, I find gamepass uninteresting, and I don't buy new devices to play old games.

The old surprise console launch doesn't really work. Too shocking to be useful really.

The wonderful world of streaming movies is certainly convenient, but availability is mercurial. That thought of games coming in and out of gamepass makes me think I'd rather continue to own games.

Backwards compatibility... When is it the best? At the start? During the drought in the middle? The doldrums of the end? I rarely replay games, so it's value is pretty low to me.

I do like the look of the unit, though.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
It is certainly very interesting, and I love the idea behind Gamepass. Thing is when it comes to exclusives, I prefer Uncharted, God of War, Spiderman to Halo, Forza and Gears of War. I'm not a fan of multiplayer games so that doesn't help either. Certainly nextgen is going to be awesome.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting this for reference.

Exactly 48 hours after.

bkssAUU.jpg

Obviously I've stated previously that I think the reveal being part of the conversation instead of commanding the conversation via their own event is part of the reason the polls are not where they should be. This might be a good reference point for a later thread.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Too early to say. I have game pass and if they keep releasing exclusive games on PC, I am not going to invest in the new console. Also I already have a PC that is much more powerful then the new system. So I am already next gen already and ready to play next gen games when they come out.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Not interested whatsoever. Personally, Microsoft's style of games aren't my cup of tea and never have been. The games that I was genuinely interested in, one they cancelled (Scalebound) and the other two are now on switch (Cuphead and Ori). So I have absolutely no reason to ever get an Xbox when I have PlayStation\Nintendo, which covers everything and then some. They haven't shown me anything to change that yet and Hellblade, while looks impressive, is just in-engine cutscene essentially.

But I'm always open to try new things so I'm interested to see more of their new games for the future. But as of right now, no.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but Spencer has helped convince me that they're honestly trying to build something desirable for consumers and I have more faith in the Xbox brand than I probably ever have. Loving Game Pass, loving the dev aquisitions, loving the proconsumer changes like crossplay, exclusives on PC etc. Now if I didn't have the privilege to build a beast gaming pc I would get one Day 1.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
No, I neeed to see more. I have a huge backlog so subscribing to Gamepass is pointless for me. As for the hardware, what we've seen so far looks neat, as expected, but at the end it'll be the games what will sell the system to me. Ask again when we see real in-game footage from Halo Infinity or Playground's rpg project.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much for their next Xbox, just their software coming to PC.

More of that in the future please and that's it!

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big fan of Xbox and have been day 1 since Scarlett was announced, so everything afterward is just extra hype. Granted, if it goes 'original Xbox One reveal' catastrophic on us, then I'll consider changing course, but I highly doubt that'll happen. Still, maybe I shouldn't say that I'm day 1 yet since things could change in the next year, but I'm day 1 so far.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No not at all. I usually buy every system in it's due course so as long as nothing crazy goes down I'm sure I'll pick one up a few years later.

Right now I'm more interested in first party games and which one has a more friendly cost point. But Xbox will have to impress me a lot to get me to drop my 140+ Playstation games and all the FP games I love at this point.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that the next Xbox is going to have an amazing year 1 lineup that'll sell a lot of new people on the console.
Well of course they'll sell a lot of people on the console - millions in the first year. Xbox consoles have pretty much always been extremely front loaded which places it in a good position to sell well in its first year. Outside of that though, it remains to be seen if people are going to continue to want to invest after the initial next-gen launch buzz has subsided. That, and well announcing that all of their games are on PC from day one removes incentives for a lot of people to buy their console, so it does make sense that sales could fall off quicker than last gen.

Posting this for reference.
I'm not too sure what this is supposed to be indicating. Would you say this is a good result?

Last edited:

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
I've made my decision. Will stick with my PC's current config (nVidia 1070) so I can play all my old games - it'll be a bit like a retro PC setup. But from 2020 launch, I'll be "resetting" my software library and starting afresh on Xbox Series X and PS5. I do like my PC but my patience gets thinner each week when some issue gets on my nerves. Like Vampyr currently is.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No not at all. I usually buy every system in it's due course so as long as nothing crazy goes down I'm sure I'll pick one up a few years later.

Right now I'm more interested in first party games and which one has a more friendly cost point. But Xbox will have to impress me a lot to get me to drop my 140+ Playstation games and all the FP games I love at this point.
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat. But thinking logically, it seems most of the major studios for Sony won't be ready to put out a game for quite some time based on the release schedule. I'm expecting Horizon 2 to be ready near launch.. at least it better. But aside from that Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Santa Monica will not be anywhere close to ready near launch due to their releases being so recent.

By comparison with Xbox's strategy to completely abandon the current gen and send all developers onto the next one. Rare, 343, Ninja Theory, Playground Games, The Initiative are all already knee deep in development.

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox consoles have pretty much always been extremely front loaded which places it in a good position to sell well in its first year.

Xbox One sold the lowest in its launch year (worldwide) than any of the years up to now. Mainly due to the terrible marketing and myopic focus on Kinect.

2013 - 3m
2014 - 8m
2015 - 8m+
2016 - 8m+
2017 - 7m+
2018 - 7m

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Not interested whatsoever. Personally, Microsoft's style of games aren't my cup of tea and never have been. The games that I was genuinely interested in, one they cancelled (Scalebound) and the other two are now on switch (Cuphead and Ori). So I have absolutely no reason to ever get an Xbox when I have PlayStation\Nintendo, which covers everything and then some. They haven't shown me anything to change that yet and Hellblade, while looks impressive, is just in-engine cutscene essentially.

But I'm always open to try new things so I'm interested to see more of their new games for the future. But as of right now, no.
Were you really interested in scalebound when it was being marketed? I thought most everyone thought it was technically and conceptually garbage everywhere I looked in terms of forums

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If PS5 is close enough in power and has actual exclusives - than I have no need for this because my Xbox is my PC.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Were you really interested in scalebound when it was being marketed? I thought most everyone thought it was technically and conceptually garbage everywhere I looked in terms of forums

That's a good point. I wasn't really interested. Curious is the better word. Always looked rough to me actually. But it was a big Japanese character action game like DMC or Bayonetta, something Microsoft doesn't do so that was different is probably why people were into it.

Dec 20, 2017
The case is really cool, but I'm going the PC route and don't see myself buying one, at least for a few years. Microsoft will still get my Gamepass money though.