• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a discussion borne out of the discussion in the 'bad character designs' thread, but man... has there ever been anything as utterly stylish as Persona 5? The game is literally style incarnate. Everything about the game, from movement, screen transitions, battle animations, the overworld, the loading screen, the menu, everything is brimming with personality and style so much that the game just makes everything else seem bland in contrast.

2860590-9887464315-45414.gif

c3cfcd26b58745b9565536411d1a8cfee0e3838a_00.gif

jmOqBHi.gif

0K34XZr.gif

3L4ibDn.gif

tenor.gif

Persona-5-GIF-4.gif

pcdmzjkyp3h7wntc9jw7.gif

streets.gif

isPEjtO.gif

tumblr_okabtjrI7e1t8mwmro5_r1_500.gif

3058386-gif001.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_nutpjk4Vst1r61mabo1_540.gif

The game is dripping style from every pore imaginable. It looks like a colored manga in motion- there is literally nothing else like it. I think Eurogamer's review said it best:

What you need to understand about Persona 5 is that it's not stylish, it is style incarnate. It is the alpha and omega of menu design, a masterclass in exquisite camerawork, the scripture which future pundits will invoke when discussing topics like, "When saving the game, do we really need an innocuous two-second animation most people will miss?"

Has there ever been a more stylish game? Share GIFs!

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Devil May Cry 3's first boss fight consists of Dante fighting a chained ice dog and afterwards he surfs on a rocket

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Regardless of the game story/gameplay quality (before someone post something that derail the thread), yes, on style, Persona 5 is at the new standard

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Idk, I have to give some real kudos Jet Set Radio here, and also all the maney shit you can do in Devil May Cry 3 and 4

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger question is, will Persona 6 match it? We'll find it when it's announced next year!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
[500 AtlusBux have been deposited into your account]

I think the menu UI gets too much praise and gets shown off a lot but that end of battle results screen is great. To me, that is the most stylistically impressive thing shown in those excerpts.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is an incredible achievement in artstyle, top to bottom full of style and expression, not to forget the absolutely incredible soundtrack rounding off this years best in class presentation:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Nope, I don't think I have ever seemed a more stylish game than Persona 5. And you mention the visuals Phantom Thief, but its music is also stylish and makes perfect harmony with its visual style. Its music is one of my favorite things about this game.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I don't think I have ever seemed a more stylish game than Persona 5. And you mention the visuals Phantom Thief, but its music is also stylish and makes perfect harmony with its visual style. Its music is one of my favorite things about this game.
Yes, absolutely. For instance, the battle results screen with this playing:

Utter perfection

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is like Persona 5 IMO in terms of style and exuding that expressive art. My PS4 only has 2 games and one of them is Persona 5. Wind waker reminds me as another game that helped push non-photorealistic rendering forward too (in a different way however which XRD also helped greatly in). When I saw kalle demos (the flower boss) open up for the first time, I was amazed for back then. Persona 5 gave me the same kind of feelings when I saw how different it was from anything I've ever seen.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find a bunch of it overbearing and annoying. Especially the overly long exits from fights which make palaces and the early parts of Mementos a pain to get through.

I like the game, but it's gone too far.

I'd nominate SMT3 or ZOE2 instead.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
[500 AtlusBux have been deposited into your account]

I think the menu UI gets too much praise and gets shown off a lot but that end of battle results screen is great. To me, that is the most stylistically impressive thing shown in those excerpts.

Yeah, the results screen is just as good, but the UI deserves all its plaudits. I would say the game oozes cool from every pore, except it's too beautiful to show any pores.

Oct 25, 2017
Noir York City
Nothing beats it. So damn consistent with its theme and intention. The game is stunning from an art direction standpoint.

I wish the localization was better but it deserves to be on the GOTY list.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, best menus/UI in a game ever. I don't think I ever got tired of seeing the victory screen or the pause menu in my 200+ hours of playtime.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
original.gif

Q4cpOuE.gif

868.gif

5c7dIN7.gif

wixcxRC.gif

ZJtkR7I.gif

tumblr_o8vqg0gGXz1s8nccpo3_500.gif

tumblr_o8vqg0gGXz1s8nccpo7_500.gif

I think NieR: Automata is incredibly stylish as well.

Last edited:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I find a bunch of it overbearing and annoying. Especially the overly long exits from fights which make palaces and the early parts of Mementos a pain to get through.

I like the game, but it's gone too far.

I'd nominate SMT3 or ZOE2 instead.
I don't fully agree with your opinion on P5, but the ZOE2 love more than makes up for it. Good shit.

I co-sign the Nier Automata picks as well.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Dishonored 2 is a title with a near-distinguishable, heavily stylized aesthetic that's perfectly translated from the concept works to 3d environments.
like-clockworkgif.gif
dh2-hallway.gif
tumblr_ocjax1bQo11ri36afo1_500.gif

Unlike most games, Dishonored 2 -- Arkane titles in general -- take pride in emphasizing the 'worn/aged art' in the detailing of their environment. You notice wood paneljngs peeling back or waterlogged, decaying roofs being eaten away by foliage etc etc. Each district like the Clockwork Manor or the Dust District emphasizing the best of the best that wealth has to offer. There's detail and care in all of the texturework that oozes class / this sort of weird ass, posh atmosphere. Poorer districts brimming with that area's culture living through the environment -- like walking through Karnaca's whaling district to see just how eerily natural rotting whales and whale-blood streaked sidewalks.

I wish I had more gifs to share honestly. Its the best first person title to come out in terms of style.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a factor, but not enough to carry a UI Design award, in my opinion.
Sure, but it's not like P5 has a functionally bad UI either- in fact, it's fantastic. It's quick, everything is organized logically, and the button assignment works wonders. I think the combination of smart function and overwhelmingly stylish form should be enough to elevate it over all others.

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: Yes absolutely

Long Answer: Yes but it depends wildly on what you consider "stylish" or "cool" and not everything has quite the type of style that p5 has but can have their own type of style in spades.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing I've played comes even close, not even Persona 4,

Its a shame that I don't think the game is all that great compared to 4

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Nope. P5 is the most stylish game ever.

The kicker is that the style never intrudes on the player's interaction with it. There are transition animations for everything, but with the lone exception of accessing the config/tutorial menu the player is free to keep on clicking through them at the desired pace. The devs exercised great restraint in implementing it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love P5's style. I personally I was never as awe struck with a game as I was with Shadow of the Colossus, but P5 is damn stylish. Art direction is A+