• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont understand the point. Theres nothing he can say that they dont already know or have access to.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Goddamn, Hasan is moving up into Jon Stewart and Colbert territory now? Has John Oliver even been called to congress to testify yet?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I mean, I'm glad that someone is doing this, but the fact that we have so many entertainers involved in this kind of political discourse is basically a flashing billboard that says "AMERICA IS BROKEN".

Edit: Also this isn't meant to discredit him, just to point out that the people who SHOULD be doing these kinds of things are the people who are gaming the system and taking advantage of it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Comedians are people capable of the same exact concerns and social insights as the rest of us. I'd argue their entire profession relies on them being able to successfully read the status and thoughts of society.

This is an extremely nice gesture on Hasan. Thanks for going to bat!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Are comedians now responsible for getting in front of Congress and pleading the cases for stuff they should just do? Is this the world we're at now?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a tendency for the socially conscious comedian to tip over into activism. You can only crack a joke about useless politicians for so long until you run out of patience. Some do a "better" job of keeping their ideals and their job separate, others can mix the two.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I dont understand the point. Theres nothing he can say that they dont already know or have access to.

Why is a comedian doing this?

Should he do nothing? Should he just shrug and just ignore the ever boiling over sewage soup that America has become. I see these kind of attitudes as the same as conservatives who say politically active celebrities should just shut up as if they aren't citizens who pay taxes.

Comedians can be some of the most insightful and observant people we have. They are smarter than most and not afraid to speak truth to power.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Someone should update the thread so that people know it already happened.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
So 2 things,
I'm gonna watch Patriot Act on Netflix.
Also the USA will always surprise me in how it's actually try to scam its younger generations.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
yeah i stopped watching daily show after stewart left. Actually stumbled upon Patriot act from a decent YT recommendation about the gaming industry lol

I stopped watching the daily show and everything related to it after the host pushed some BS I won't go into.
But I've followed very closely Jon Oliver, I have no idea why it took this long but I'll catch up on the show now.
And wow a lengthy segment on the game industry and we didn't even have a thread on it here! (or I missed it)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's great to have Hasan raising awareness now, but don't count on anything getting done until Trump is out of office (and Democrats take control of the Senate).

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
That was great, he's very good at both being direct and funny, it works well to get his point across.

Patriot Act is really good and many of the episodes focus on topics that I had zero knowledge on before watching. While many shows on TV revolve exclusively around Trump and his actions, his show does not (For the most part), and he instead dedicates episodes focusing on conflicts happening in other parts of the world.

You can also learn a lot about him and his humor by watching his stand up special, Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Great routine, a few cringe moments. But overall, he got the point across. Pay too much, get too little. Invest in people, stop rescuing banks.

The notion that you have to go to college or fail is toxin. There are a lot of trades that pay well, and are necessary, unfortunately they aren't all sexy. There is a pay wall, and paper wall. Not everyone that graduates is smart or qualified. My dad got shit on at work constantly by the newly papered college grad. But who did they always have to go to help for fixing their mistakes? Yup.

Dec 31, 2017
He's very well researched on this topic. The data is evident, the deck is stacked against loan borrowers immensely.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching the daily show and everything related to it after the host pushed some BS I won't go into.
But I've followed very closely Jon Oliver, I have no idea why it took this long but I'll catch up on the show now.
And wow a lengthy segment on the game industry and we didn't even have a thread on it here! (or I missed it)
yeah DS's new host didnt click with me, I do still follow Jon Oliver and watched Colbert for a bit but didnt like the format.

As for the ep on the games industry, I don't think that was ever brought up on gaming side

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Thank you, Hasan. After 5 years, I have made exactly zero progress on my student loans. In fact I have to pay MORE now because of interest. I can only afford the payment provided by the IBR plan, but it doesn't even cover the interest. I got a job in my field of study right after leaving college but my wages are still piss poor. I really don't know how to move forward.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is so great to see! Good for Hasan to go there and speak for those that need it.

Funnily enough, I JUST started watching his great show Patriot Act on Netflix too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Good that he did this.

That was great, he's very good at both being direct and funny, it works well to get his point across.

Patriot Act is really good and many of the episodes focus on topics that I had zero knowledge on before watching. While many shows on TV revolve exclusively around Trump and his actions, his show does not (For the most part), and he instead dedicates episodes focusing on conflicts happening in other parts of the world.

You can also learn a lot about him and his humor by watching his stand up special, Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Also I want to echo the Homecoming King celebration. It's a fantastic and very modern standup special.