• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Great routine, a few cringe moments. But overall, he got the point across. Pay too much, get too little. Invest in people, stop rescuing banks.

The notion that you have to go to college or fail is toxin. There are a lot of trades that pay well, and are necessary, unfortunately they aren't all sexy. There is a pay wall, and paper wall. Not everyone that graduates is smart or qualified. My dad got shit on at work constantly by the newly papered college grad. But who did they always have to go to help for fixing their mistakes? Yup.

I don't know if you're able to update the thread title, but if you can that'd be great.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Please watch Patriot Act and the Deep Cuts he puts on YT which are just as good if not better than the episodes themselves.

The man literally did a stand up routine in a Congressional hearing. I can't 😂😂😂

Lmao that was amazing. Hilarious but direct. Maxine Waters' face at the end was incredible lol

So 2 things,
I'm gonna watch Patriot Act on Netflix.
Also the USA will always surprise me in how it's actually try to scam its younger generations.

The Saudi and China episodes are great starters.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Are the Maxine Waters gifs I made over a year ago finally going to have some use?

DRgP8zo.gif

EEYTBzg.gif

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

The man literally did a stand up routine in a Congressional hearing. I can't 😂😂😂

Eh, I thought that was pretty lame. He's really good at making a strong point. Pointing out what the members of the committee paid for college and how that compares to current costs was powerful. But the random Netflix jokes don't help anyone. It's awesome when celebrities use their platform to help people, but you're not going to convince people who need convincing by using an opportunity like this to show how funny you are. John Stewart doesn't goof around when advocating for 9/11 first responders. I'm not saying you can't joke about serious issues at all, but if you're going to cross the line between comedian/ commentator and activist you need to know the time and place for silliness.

As someone constantly stressed out about how I'm going to pay off my own student loans, after watching this I feel like he was able to joke around because that session was a joke, it doesn't seem realistic at all that Congress will do anything about student loans. I definitely don't feel like I have some useful advocating for me.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
yeah DS's new host didnt click with me, I do still follow Jon Oliver and watched Colbert for a bit but didnt like the format.

As for the ep on the games industry, I don't think that was ever brought up on gaming side
Can't really watch Colbert since he doesn't have full eps where I can see them.
I started watching the show, Netflix is being stupid in inverting the order of episodes, makes navigation horrible.
I have something like 4 seasons or whatver Netflix is showing to catch up so it'll be a while.

the 1st segment on affirmative action was really good

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan is great. This was funny too.
Eh, I thought that was pretty lame. He's really good at making a strong point. Pointing out what the members of the committee paid for college and how that compares to current costs was powerful. But the random Netflix jokes don't help anyone. It's awesome when celebrities use their platform to help people, but you're not going to convince people who need convincing by using an opportunity like this to show how funny you are. John Stewart doesn't goof around when advocating for 9/11 first responders. I'm not saying you can't joke about serious issues at all, but if you're going to cross the line between comedian/ commentator and activist you need to know the time and place for silliness.

As someone constantly stressed out about how I'm going to pay off my own student loans, after watching this I feel like he was able to joke around because that session was a joke, it doesn't seem realistic at all that Congress will do anything about student loans. I definitely don't feel like I have some useful advocating for me.
Some say that if you make people laugh and enjoy themselves, they remember things better. He could have done it straight faced but this is arguably a much more memorable way to package important information. And it also has the benefit of getting people who would never have watched it in the first place to pay attention.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Some say that if you make people laugh and enjoy themselves, they remember things better. He could have done it straight faced but this is arguably a much more memorable way to package important information. And it also has the benefit of getting people who would never have watched it in the first place to pay attention.

Some say if you seem flippant some people won't take you seriously, especially if they have they have a vested interest in ignoring you.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Hasan is great. This was funny too.

This. There are studies that show that using comedy makes people more focused on what you're saying.
Which is why some preparatory schools employ teachers with comedic chops.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
You can also learn a lot about him and his humor by watching his stand up special, Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

YES! His comedy special was when I became a fan. It's incredibly good. Double highly recommended.

On topic, his testimony was fire. Entertaining. Informative. And highlighted the difference between education costs then and now.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Those people wouldn't be listening in the first place.

OK, I guess the only point of testifying before Congress is to record a funny clip for Twitter and the 'Gram?

You can look at another example plenty of people have brought up, John Stewart and his advocacy for 9/11 first responders, and see that it is possible to enact change even when some politicians will ignore the issue and try to halt progress.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I guess the only point of testifying before Congress is to record a funny clip for Twitter and the 'Gram?

You can look at another example plenty of people have brought up, John Stewart and his advocacy for 9/11 first responders, and see that it is possible to enact change even when some politicians will ignore the issue and try to halt progress.

So you're saying there's one way to do things? He's not Jon Stewart.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
So you're saying there's one way to do things? He's not Jon Stewart.

I'm saying Jon Stewart was successful, and the only committee member who speaks during Minhaj's speech seems unamused.

If Hasan ends up bringing about change as well I'll eat crow. I'm just saying as someone affected by the issue I don't feel that this is the kind of representation that is going to get anything done, and personally I'd rather have someone serious advocating for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying Jon Stewart was successful, and the only committee member who speaks during Minhaj's speech seems unamused.

If Hasan ends up bringing about change as well I'll eat crow. I'm just saying as someone affected by the issue I don't feel that this is the kind of representation that is going to get anything done, and personally I'd rather have someone serious advocating for me.
He wasn't the only person speaking.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
AOC continues to be great. Hasan was cringy at time

What they didn't bring up is how much a pain in the ass it is paying for loans, picking a plan and halting a payment is a pain in the ass.

Heartland ESCI is stuck in the 00s and doesn't do anything online other than paying the monthly bill. Everything else is done through paper and don't even provide the link for my School to change my payment plan.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
And I was just replying to your comment. I'll leave it at that. I do apologize if I came off as antagonistic.

No problem. I don't think you came off as antagonistic, but I don't get what your point was. Some people enjoyed this, I didn't and would prefer Hasan not be one of the public faces of this issue if this is how we can expect him to act in public appearances.

Oct 26, 2017
No problem. I don't think you came off as antagonistic, but I don't get what your point was. Some people enjoyed this, I didn't and would prefer Hasan not be one of the public faces of this issue if this is how we can expect him to act in public appearances.

I really only took issue with the bolded. He's not the only one speaking so if people aren't receptive to him because of his jokes they can ignore him and listen to someone else who they do find more credible. And it is better to have more varied voices speak on the subject especially if certain speakers have a broader reach audience wise. Like this thread wouldn't have existed without Hasan tweeting about it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I really only took issue with the bolded. He's not the only one speaking so if people aren't receptive to him because of his jokes they can ignore him and listen to someone else who they do find more credible. And it is better to have more varied voices speak on the subject especially if certain speakers have a broader reach audience wise. Like this thread wouldn't have existed without Hasan tweeting about it.

The focus of this thread seems to be how funny he was though, not the issue.

I don't think all press is good press. I can imagine some people who aren't very aware of the issue seeing this and thinking "Wow, this is supposedly a major issue affecting people's livelihood and this is how you express your concerns?"

Anyone CAN go seek out other voices, but what are the odds they will? It seems far smarter to me to always have someone credible speaking instead of trusting that people will be turned off by this video and then go out of their way to seek other perspectives.

I don't disagree that having celebrities use their platform to spread awareness is great, but I'm confident a large portion of Hasan's audience are aware of, likely affected by, this issue, and I can easily imagine his tone here turning off people who need convincing.

It just feels to me that he prioritized creating a potential viral video over the message. If he would have just shared the stats about what the committee members paid for school vs. what their constituents are currently paying that would have been powerful. If some people found the video funny that's fine, but I think it would have been far more effective at actually making progress to some sort of solution if he delivered that message without the clowning around.

The video is just super awkward to me too. There's videos of Jon Stewart and Colbert doing humor in front of similar audiences with no reactions, but it's usually because they're speaking truth to power, saying things they're not supposed to, or criticizing people to their faces. Hasan just has a bunch of goofy jokes with no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand. I'm not impressed.

Oct 26, 2017
A more extended video of the testimony was posted up on YouTube. Fair warning for certain people. he does continue to make jokes. He still does a good job answering their questions imo:

Also f' that dude from AEI trying to say that Hasan and the students would still be complaining if Navient kept them on the phone longer than 7 minutes and read the whole terms and conditions. Like way to build a strawman.