• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Hasbro (who via their subsidiary Wizards of the Coast own D&D) held an investor briefing at New York Toy Fair yesterday, which included some gaming news when they discussed their digital strategy:

- they have 7 D&D video games in development

- they are planning to have at least 1 D&D rpg out every year throughout 2025

- Baldur's Gate 3 is coming to early access later this year (note: the slide does not mention early access, only the text does).

Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-14.16.18.jpg

Source: Article on Bell of Lost Souls

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Larian had Early Access for both Original Sin games, so it makes perfect sense. Swen Vincke stated multiple times that Early Access helped them gather a lot of helpful feedback and delivering a much better and more balanced experience at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Larian often said that they greatly profited from launching the Divinity games in Early Access in terms of player feedback,so I'm more than okay with that.
Not like we would get the game any sooner if they didn't do this

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Now that I found out that Hasbro owned WoTC and by that extension D&D, makes me wonder if how one would be able to adapt a GI Joe campaign to 5e rules.

Early access for BG3 might be interesting though. I do see the benefit of folks providing feedback to improve direction to the game just as what happened for D:OS 1 and 2.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Wait... wut? Dark Alliance is coming back? Was this known?

Edit: Oh it was that thing with the awful trailer. I guess I mentally blocked that out.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm extremely happy if so. EA was good for both D:OS games but I was afraid they wouldn't want to do it with BG for some reason.

Edit: One of their investor relations reps talks about it at about 1:05:00 on the replay of the meeting, so I guess it is true. They also showed some gameplay footage for those present but sadly didn't include the video.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
The Planscape setting is excellent, although I would want them to do a totally clean break from the Torment story specifically. Just do another Planar campaign, basically.
Absolutely. I have zero interest in "Planescape Torment: The Lost Chapter" or anything of the sort. All new protagonist, story, companions, etc.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Everything I'm reading in the OP sounds good.
As long as there's quality control obviously.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
As others mentioned, both Original Sin games were in Early Access, and ended jo being two of the best classic RPGs ever. I have complete faith in Larian's quality.
Oh yeah, the quality control comment was more about the 7 games in development sorry.
My only wish/concern for BG3 is about the combat system, as I want it to be BG3 and not an Original Sin reskin in that regard. I'm confident in the rest.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing if this is true. I understood it for Divinity OS 2 with Kickstarter and all but does not feel necessary for BG3. Just give me it when it's all done.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This was expected, no?

I remember devs saying that they want take same route with BG3 as they did with DOS2 when it came to Early Access, they found it to be very valuable resource for feedback etc.

What we thinking? Q3 - Q4 for EA and then release about year later?

Oct 26, 2017
This was expected, no?

I remember devs saying that they want take same route with BG3 as they did with DOS2 when it came to Early Access, they found it to be very valuable resource for feedback etc.

What we thinking? Q3 - Q4 for EA and then release about year later?

I guess August or September for Early Access and release in 2021

Jun 17, 2018
Cool! I think I'm going to wait for the inevitable definitive edition on Xbox. They did this for both D:OS games so hopefully do it again for this.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I dont want open world or over the shoulder, but I'm hoping for similar camera style as Neverwinter Night or Dragon Age Origins (full camera control for exploration and tactical top down camera for combat). This is unpopular opinion tho.

At the very least I'm hoping for proper cutscenes and close up camera view for conversation.

OP
OP
Com_Raven

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
If it makes you feel any better, they'll all be owned by Disney within a decade probably

Disney had allegedly been considering buying Hasbro in the past (as they make all the Star Wars and Marvel toys), but that rumor seems to have cooled down/ gone away since. And both sides just announced a multi-year extension of the toy licenses on Friday.