• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
From an investor call earlier today. I surprisingly haven't seen any articles about this on major sites, but this slide is going around fan communities.

DzcxLk2UwAAcpiR.jpg%2Blarge.jpg

2020:
GI Joe
Micronauts

2021:
Dungeons & Dragons
My Little Pony

Taking 2017 leaks into account, the My Little Pony movie is likely a Generation 5 reboot, and will be CGI. The leaks said it would come out 2020, but it's clearly been delayed.

There were some DnD movies before, but hopefully they actually... try this time. Taking all bets, will it involve people being sucked into the world of the game?

I'm surprised they're going forward with Micronauts. I figured they'd try to build interest with an animated series first, or something, and I haven't heard anything about one.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This was already pretty much known a few months ago outside of MLP date. And the rumor was that DnD is going to be like a Jumanji like knock off.

GI Joe casting has been underway and supposed to start filming in a couple months

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Micronauts coming back is a childhood dream come true. I was obsessed with the earliest comics. They got me into Marvel.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Meh. Not worth the 'paper' it's written on.

Do they even have a director for Micronauts yet?

Is Chris McKay still attached to D&D given that it's one of the dozens of films he's be linked to recently.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I'm just waiting for my new Transformers movie announcements. After Bumblebee, I'm excited again.

Also, they announced an Animated Transformers show for Netflix based on the current War for Cybertron toyline. So that's neat.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dungeon-Master.jpg

Curious to see how Dungeons & Dragons pans out.

I heard a lot of rumors they were going to continue making Power Ranger movies now that they have the license, but I guess that's still way off.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So those clowns finally realized that Visionaries wasn't a marketable IP?
An IP that over 30 years ago was notable enough for 13 episodes and 6 comics, but was somehow inexplicably in consideration for a movie as of a year or two ago. Glad they finally came to their senses.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
someone help me out here... what sort of DnD movie is this going to be?

the last DnD branded film I remember is that PoS where Jeremy Irons gave zero fucks and gave the performance "of his life"

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If the Critical Role cast is not involved in the D&D movie somehow (voice actors or something), I'll be a bit disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the GI Joe movie is good.
Hopefully after this Snake Eyes movie they get everyone working on the franchise going forward to look at
GIJoe-Rslt_DVD_3D.jpg

for inspiration.
Leans heavily on the classic series but makes it far more interesting for older audiences.

I guess they can keep some of the international elements from the previous movie series to add a bit more appeal, however i'd wish they'd make new original characters for it.
also The Oktober Guard

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Does Hasbro own D&D now? Also there's 5 gens of MLP?
Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast which bought the rights to DnD. It's been like this since 1999.

As for MLP, the generations are:
G1 - The original specials and movie, My Little Pony and Friends TV series, and the MLP Tales TV series
G2 - Never had an animated tie in, so people often mistakenly refer to MLP Tales as G2
G3 - The DVD specials of the early 00s. There is also a G3.5 within this with different enough designs that it arguably should be considered a separate generation, but these generations are always somewhat arbitrary.
G4 - The current generation: Friendship is Magic, Equestria Girls, and the recent movie

We don't know for sure what G5 will be like, we only have leaked concept art.

Didn't MLP already have its film? Or is this a sequel? LIVE ACTION?

This will either be a sequel or a reboot. It's going to be CGI.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Make a Dragonlance movie or a Drizzt movie. Either could be quite good if you got people who really put in the effort.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why they can't just pick a setting from the D&D multiverse and use some established characters.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Micronauts coming back is a childhood dream come true. I was obsessed with the earliest comics. They got me into Marvel.

I loved those comics too! And of course, the toys too.

I doubt the movies will have any connection to the comics, though. A lot of that stuff was original with Marvel.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Considering GI JOE is mainly just a Snake Eyes movie im not that excited

Larry Hama's GI Joe comics were essentially a Snake Eyes series for years, I think it will be fine. Also it's an origin path for the rest of the GI Joe franchise if it gets off the ground. Also in the original lore of the comics, essentially everything somehow revolved around Snake Eyes as it's origin

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Larry Hama's GI Joe comics were essentially a Snake Eyes series for years, I think it will be fine. Also it's an origin path for the rest of the GI Joe franchise if it gets off the ground
Im not against it I just like other characters(Duke, Scarlet, Beachhead, Lady Jaye) and Storm Shadow is also lower tier on my favorite villains of Joe.

Though I guess I hope for Jinx as well depending on the nature of the movie.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Stop trying to make GI Joe work. It can't. Not in this era.

The last two movies were successful, the last one made more than the first even, Hasbro just got screwed over by paramount when they delayed the film for a year and all the toys were already shipping to retailers. The entire product line flopped hard on its face and killed the toy line without a movie to go with it, and no store would carry the subsequent product waves that were already in production, so they got dumped to clearance chain liquidators, and big box stores essentially told Hasbro they wouldn't be stocking GI Joe anymore.

The 2nd movie was a success making more than the first on a smaller budget, but Hasbro took a hit on the merch and the loss of the toy line pushed everything aside.

Even then a 3rd movie was announced buy constant delays and not being able to align with the Rock's schedule got that franchise buried for good.

Sounds like the G.I. Joe movie will be based on the cartoon pilot episode?

The screen writer says it's very much based on martial arts films of the old days, so imagine its going to be something very different

A diverse group of people fighting a fascist terrorist organization trying to take over the world seems like it could work pretty well in this era.

They need to go smaller scale, make the characters unique and more comic book like in them being heroes. GI Joe of the 80's will not work today, so focus on the unique aspects of GI Joe and make it something modern. Cobra makes for a great source of high tech unique villains, now give us unique heroes fighting bad guys around the world. Don't give us a military movie like the 2nd one tried to do, and don't give us bland heroes of the first movie.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
What are the odds the Critical Role cast gets a cameo in the D&D film? 60-70%?