• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Have their been any rumblings about a new Project Diva game coming down the pipe? I'm getting pretty tired of the songs in the F and X games.

I know there's Future Tone but I've discovered I really, really don't like the arcade gameplay. I want real hold notes!

I hope the series isn't dead. :/

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Have their been any rumblings about a new Project Diva game coming down the pipe? I'm getting pretty tired of the songs in the F and X games.

I know there's Future Tone but I've discovered I really, really don't like the arcade gameplay. I want real hold notes!

I hope the series isn't dead. :/
Series will always exist in our hearts anyway.

I've recently bought Project DIVA X on PS4 (thanks for sales) and despite having played all 238 songs in Hard in Future Tone,
I'm still really enjoying it for many reasons. It's a quite different experience so it's refreshing even though it only has about 30 songs.
The different art style also looks interesting and I think I've had only two songs which are also in Future Tone so far, so overlapping songs isn't an issue!

I was planning to get either Project DIVA f (or F ?) or F 2nd on PS3 but considering I already have all PS4 games, are they really worth it in terms of exclusive songs?
I know Alien Alien is exclusive and another one (forgot its name) are exclusive but if that's all, I guess I shouldn't bother unless I find a really great deal (I still like the idea of having all games from the series but still, I tend to be more reasonable now haha)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Series will always exist in our hearts anyway.

I've recently bought Project DIVA X on PS4 (thanks for sales) and despite having played all 238 songs in Hard in Future Tone,
I'm still really enjoying it for many reasons. It's a quite different experience so it's refreshing even though it only has about 30 songs.
The different art style also looks interesting and I think I've had only two songs which are also in Future Tone so far, so overlapping songs isn't an issue!

I was planning to get either Project DIVA f (or F ?) or F 2nd on PS3 but considering I already have all PS4 games, are they really worth it in terms of exclusive songs?
I know Alien Alien is exclusive and another one (forgot its name) are exclusive but if that's all, I guess I shouldn't bother unless I find a really great deal (I still like the idea of having all games from the series but still, I tend to be more reasonable now haha)
Kagerou Daze and Canterella-grace edition- are exclusive to F2nd. You'll find the rest in FT. It's still nice to check out the songs with the different gameplay style. I like both styles so the $20 I spent on F2nd felt worth it.

Edit mode is also a good reason to go back of course.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
HachiHachi Flower Fight is also not available on Future Tone PS4 but is playable in F PS3/Vita. (It remains available if you have access to Future Tone arcade, but the song didn't make the jump to PS4.)

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

Fwiw, I feel pretty strongly that F 2nd has a way better tracklist than F. It's a significantly larger tracklist too in terms of sheer number of songs.

As to whether to get either... I don't know. I think it's worth it, but that's because I really dislike playing Future Tone.

Edit: And Edit mode is fantastic, but finding and downloading songs takes a LOT of effort due to the interface being absolutely horrible. If you end up getting the game on PS3, I have a saved collection of edit songs I could send to you. (They should work on any PS3—when my old PS3 broke, I did some editing of the save data so it would work on the new console even though I never transferred my account.)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Fwiw, I feel pretty strongly that F 2nd has a way better tracklist than F. It's a significantly larger tracklist too in terms of sheer number of songs.

As to whether to get either... I don't know. I think it's worth it, but that's because I really dislike playing Future Tone.

Edit: And Edit mode is fantastic, but finding and downloading songs takes a LOT of effort due to the interface being absolutely horrible. If you end up getting the game on PS3, I have a saved collection of edit songs I could send to you. (They should work on any PS3—when my old PS3 broke, I did some editing of the save data so it would work on the new console even though I never transferred my account.)
I could use a collection of edit songs. I need more :p

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, have you ever played Future Tone with its intended layout? I find the game near unplayable on a Dualshock when playing anything harder than, well, Hard, but Future Tone with the arcade layout is my favorite above everything else this series has to offer.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, have you ever played Future Tone with its intended layout? I find the game near unplayable on a Dualshock when playing anything harder than, well, Hard, but Future Tone with the arcade layout is my favorite above everything else this series has to offer.

No, I'm using a Dualshock 4.

Honestly though, I like the added difficulty, at least in theory—and I like features like having to hit two different notes at the same time. My issue is that I find the game really boring without traditional hold and double notes.

I realize that doubles can be replicated in Future Tone by having two buttons appear at once, and as I said, I actually really like that mechanic—but it doesn't replace the old type of double. An F double can be read quickly and effortlessly, because you know the button combination will always be the same. In Future Tone, a double note is a more significant obstacle, which takes real effort to read and react to. That's all fine, but it means that double notes can't be interspersed through songs in the same way as F.

But my biggest hangup are hold notes. I can understand that these are probably more fun on a real controller, but even so, the task of keeping a hold note pressed for as long as possible is completely decoupled from the rhythm of the song! To me, Project Diva and rhythm games in general are about following the rhythm and becoming one with the music, and Future Tone's hold notes don't do that. They remove a rhythm-based challenge and replace it with a mechanical one.

Lastly, one aspect of Diva games I really enjoy is the act of dual-wielding a Dualshock. I don't know why, but alternating buttons to hit quick strings of notes feels uniquely satisfying to me. You can dual wield in Future Tone, of course, but the note charts don't feel designed for it—which again, makes sense given the game's origins, but it's not what I want.

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
No, I'm using a Dualshock 4.

Honestly though, I like the added difficulty, at least in theory—and I like features like having to hit two different notes at the same time. My issue is that I find the game really boring without traditional hold and double notes.

I realize that doubles can be replicated in Future Tone by having two buttons appear at once, and as I said, I actually really like that mechanic—but they doesn't replace the old type of double for me. An F double can be read quickly and effortlessly, because you know the button combination will always be the same. X doubles are like events—they take a lot of effort to read and react to, which is fine, but they can't be interspersed through songs in quite the same way.

But my biggest hangup are hold notes. I can understand that these are probably more fun on a real controller, but even still their function is completely different. Keeping a hold note pressed for as long as possible is a completely different type of challenge, and critically for me, it's a challenge that isn't really tied to them rhythm of the song! To me, Project Diva and rhythm games in general are kind of about following the rhythm and becoming one with the music, and Future Tone hold notes don't do that. They're much more of mechanical challenge.

Also, another thing I like about the diva games is actually the act of dual wielding on the dual-shock. I don't know why, but alternating buttons to hit quick strings of notes feels uniquely satisfying to me. Future Tone's notecharts don't really feel designed for that layout—which again, makes sense given the game's origins, but it's not what I want.
Very interesting and different perspective. I actually really prefer the Arcade style hold notes mainly for the hold switches. Switching holds to get higher scores and %s is really enjoyable for me. The only thing I'd want back from the old games are star notes. They're really bad for the analog sticks but they're way more fun than the slides.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing Future Tone because Extreme seemed god damned impossible on a DS4 and I'm not investing in a controller just for it.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I stopped playing Future Tone because Extreme seemed god damned impossible on a DS4 and I'm not investing in a controller just for it.
I think Macros are meant to be used on a DS4. They've helped me quite a lot. Of course perfecting anything 9.5 stars and up needs you to be really really good on a DS4 but you can get pretty far with the Macros. That's if you don't consider it cheating of course :p

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anything about halfway through hard or extreme on future tone and I have to get out the mini controller.

I do miss being able to alternate left/right for fast repetitions in the not-arcade diva games though. Doing the same with one button even on an arcade controller is more stress than fun.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting and different perspective. I actually really prefer the Arcade style hold notes mainly for the hold switches. Switching holds to get higher scores and %s is really enjoyable for me. The only thing I'd want back from the old games are star notes. They're really bad for the analog sticks but they're way more fun than the slides.
Oh, I love the star notes too! I don't consider them essential though in the same way as double and hold notes, because 2nd and Extend on the PSP didn't have them and I found those games enjoyable enough.

Metaldeer

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to feel this. I thought I'd just get better, but after being pretty much stuck on anything higher than 8.5 stars for months, I feel like there's no way I'm going to complete certain songs without paying ~$300+ for an arcade controller.

Like, I've set R2 and L2 to Triangle+X and Square+Circle, which helps somewhat. But there's songs that expect you to hit like, Square + Triangle or X + Circle inhumanly fast, and just with the nature of mashing your thumb across 2 buttons, it basically comes down to luck. Don't even get me started on the parts that expect you to hit 3-button notes like it's nothing, too.

I don't know, maybe my thumbs are just too small.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
In Future Tone, a double note is a more significant obstacle, which takes real effort to read and react to. That's all fine, but it means that double notes can't be interspersed through songs in the same way as F.
Doubles and Triples in Future Tone are actually physically aligned with the way the buttons are laid out; X+O is always on the right half of the screen, Triangle+Square is always on the left, Square+X is always in the middle, etc.

The biggest issue with playing on a Dualshock is that this alignment is completely lost to the player. They tried to compensate by making the Triangle and Square inputs display as arrows by default, but a lot of people probably turned this off.

The fact there is no official controller short of the mini controllers that Hori doesn't make nearly enough of frustrates me to no end.

Metaldeer

Oct 28, 2017
Doubles and Triples in Future Tone are actually physically aligned with the way the buttons are laid out; X+O is always on the right half of the screen, Triangle+Square is always on the left, Square+X is always in the middle, etc.

The biggest issue with playing on a Dualshock is that this alignment is completely lost to the player. They tried to compensate by making the Triangle and Square inputs display as arrows by default, but a lot of people probably turned this off.

The fact there is no official controller short of the mini controllers that Hori doesn't make nearly enough of frustrates me to no end.
I actually never noticed that, but I guess I must have at least subconsciously, because I don't have too much trouble with it anymore. My big problem is when there's a lot of repetition with double/triple notes. Like, I can handle something like Kokoro on Ex Extreme, but Denparadigm or the last part of Disappearance of Hatsune Miku where they expect you to mash double notes is just unreasonable (at least on a DS4).

I really wish they made more controllers. I'd really like to have one.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
...which is just one more way in which they can't be integrated into larger note patterns as seamlessly as the doubles in F.

(To be clear, I don't think Future Tone is a bad game, but it doesn't do anything for me.)

Edit: And while I'm sitting at my home computer... here's a collection of 43 edit data songs, for a North American, PS3 copy of Project Diva F 2nd. I did NOT make any of these, but I did wade through quite a lot of crap in order to find them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o7CjnIheK3pXpQYWW6TQDa80AK1Lmm_c/view?usp=sharing

In my humble opinion, all of these songs felt properly synced to the music, had good note charts, and lacked any overly spammy or cheap sections. The average difficulty is probably a tad higher than the main game's "Extreme" tracks, but nothing stupidly difficult.

To find the correct MP3 for a given song in-game, you will unfortunately need to look at both the name of the song in the menu AND the name of the track you are supposed to select—only one of them is right, and it varies by song. The song downloads often had corrupted filenames, and my ability to fix them was limited by the fact that I don't know how to type Japanese characters.

I hope someone enjoys these!

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
...which is just one more way in which they can't be integrated into larger note patterns as seamlessly as the doubles in F.

(To be clear, I don't think F is a bad game, but it doesn't do anything for me.)

Edit: And while I'm sitting at my home computer... here's a collection of 43 edit data songs, for a North American, PS3 copy of Project Diva F 2nd. I did NOT make any of these, but I did wade through quite a lot of crap in order to find them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o7CjnIheK3pXpQYWW6TQDa80AK1Lmm_c/view?usp=sharing

In my humble opinion, all of these songs felt properly synced to the music, had good note charts, and lacked any overly spammy or cheap sections. The average difficulty is probably a tad higher than the main game's "Extreme" tracks, but nothing stupidly difficult.

To find the correct MP3 for a given song in-game, you will unfortunately need to look at both the name of the song in the menu AND the name of the track you are supposed to select—only one of them is right, and it varies by song. The song downloads often had corrupted filenames, and my ability to fix them was limited by the fact that I don't know how to type Japanese characters.

I hope someone enjoys these!
Been going through some of these and there's some good charts on here! Even better than some of the PDX ones. Thanks for this.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, folks who purchased the Japanese version of Future Tone can now get all additional songs from the DLC and the DX version for mere 205 Yen as long as you've purchased both Future Sound and Colorful Tone!

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog...ftdx.html?tkgpscom=dc_mikuftdx_ps_tw_20180809
Another change seems to be that you can now download Future Tone DX (previously physical only) - but only if you have not purchased either Future Sound or Colorful Tone (wat). It makes more sense if you've not bought into the original Future Tone ecosystem yet, and the trophy list differs between the two (DX, being a full retail game, actually has a Platinum).

KharmaPolice

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up Zhao_Yun! I had the 12 song season pass already but skipped out on the DX addon. Bought it now!

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Do you guys know what the main differences between Arcade FT and the PS4 port are?
I couldn't find a complete list and I'm curious, as there seems to be quite more differences than I'm aware of.

I know that two songs didn't make it ("Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight" and "saturation") apparently due to licensing issues with the producers, and I recently discovered that MEIKO's version of "The Snow White Princess is" isn't available in the PS4 version for some reason, it's with Miku vocals only.

Are there many other significant omissions and/or changes in the console port?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you even do the fast taps on Extreme difficulty with the Hori mini-controller configured to the proper arcade layout? Are you supposed to use two hands on the same button? I assume it makes more sense in the arcade because the buttons are bigger, but with this controller it just doesn't seem like a realistic strategy.

I can't clear most of (Extra-)Extreme songs, the fast tapping requirements completely block me from progressing.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
How do you even do the fast taps on Extreme difficulty with the Hori mini-controller configured to the proper arcade layout? Are you supposed to use two hands on the same button? I assume it makes more sense in the arcade because the buttons are bigger, but with this controller it just doesn't seem like a realistic strategy.

I can't clear most of (Extra-)Extreme songs, the fast tapping requirements completely block me from progressing.
I just drill it with the one hand. I'm not super good but I haven't run into a song where I can't keep up with just one hand yet.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017

alternate at tempo yes

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Some news in regards to Miku Expo in the UK

If you have paid for VIP SEATED tickets, you might want to contact Seetickets to clarify. I got an email saying that there are NO seats and VIP tickets are now general admission.

This is absolutely not what was advertised when I bought these tickets, so naturally, I'm complaining to them.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Some news in regards to Miku Expo in the UK

If you have paid for VIP SEATED tickets, you might want to contact Seetickets to clarify. I got an email saying that there are NO seats and VIP tickets are now general admission.

This is absolutely not what was advertised when I bought these tickets, so naturally, I'm complaining to them.
I don't know how it was advertised in the UK but that's completely normal for every US show I've been to. VIP is simply admission to the pit (earlier than general ticket holders, so you can get better position and earlier access to merchandise tables) and comes with some extra physical goodies. Any physical seats are fully dependent on whether the venue offers it, and usually are pretty far from the stage.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of VIP, do we know what time you'll be allowed in to the venue?

I know 5:30pm is the standard entrance time, so an hour earlier maybe?

Also I take it there's 2 separate queues for getting in - normal and VIP?

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Guys, can you help me pick out a playlist of catchy dance tunes from the 238 songs in Future Tone?

I currently have the following (they may also serve as an example of what I'm looking for):
  • shake it!
  • Systematic Love
  • Freely Tomorrow
  • Hibikase
  • Luka Luka ✭ Night Fever
  • Nightmare ☆ Party Night
  • Weekender Girl (maybe? still not sure if it fits)

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What have you guys been listening to? I can't seem to stop listening to this one (nearly daily), it's really catchy:

Also, Kei has made an illustration for Snow Miku's 10th birthday (next year) and damn if it isn't gorgeous:

wyhZUey.jpg

This time he really went all out.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I love how many miku songs got added to spotify recently (all of decos old stuff + hitorie, aaanddd hachi!!)

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
390€??? I'd really like to know what kind of photo that is to justify that price.
"Take a commemorative photo with Hatsune Miku on stage at the London concert venue!! Photo session will take place before the performance on the day of the show.

[Important notices about commemorative photo with Hatsune Miku]

Purchaser will be contacted with details a few days before the show. One purchase includes photo session for up to two people, for around 5 min. Camera and photographer will be provided by Crypton. Each group can bring one smartphone for staff to take a photo with."