• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just wanted to share Goodsmile Racing's 2019 Super GT challenger:

25I7036.JPG

25I7051.JPG

This year's Racing Miku was made by Idolmaster character designer Annin Oiko.

m01-1280x854.jpg

If you want to support the team, they have various sponsorship tiers which give out various goods.
https://www.goodsmileracing.com/en/sponsor/personal/

Pudgybunny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh she is beautiful! A figure of her like that would be nice. I don't really like over sexualized Miku. The Append outfit is as far as I'm willing to go with a "sexy" outfit.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I posted a link in this thread a few weeks ago. You shouldn't have to dig back very far to find it.

My costs were a bit wacky as a friend ordered one for me while also getting one for himself, then reshipped mine domestically. It wound up being about $350 shipped.

Quick question.

How is your Zhousensor controller holding up?

My daughters are big miku fans, especially my older one. We bought her the Project Diva X mini PS4 controller in late 2016 for her for Christmas for $250 but a lot of the buttons have started to give up the ghost - missing inputs and such. I've considering taking the thing apart to see if I can replace the switches somehow but I can't find much online about replacement switches or the like.

I'm not too surprised given the number of hours they put into it (she plays everything on one of the hardest difficulties now or something), but still.

A new PS4 miku controller is like $500 now, ugh. I can nab a lightly used one for like $300 maybe on ebay or the like.

I considered the ps3 controller with a brook adapter but I think she'd likely detect the lag. She complains my OLED downstairs is laggier than my Panasonic plasma. The OLED is supposed to be 32ms and the Panny plasma ~15ms ish.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question.

How is your Zhousensor controller holding up?

My daughters are big miku fans, especially my older one. We bought her the Project Diva X mini PS4 controller in late 2016 for her for Christmas for $250 but a lot of the buttons have started to give up the ghost - missing inputs and such. I've considering taking the thing apart to see if I can replace the switches somehow but I can't find much online about replacement switches or the like.

I'm not too surprised given the number of hours they put into it (she plays everything on one of the hardest difficulties now or something), but still.

A new PS4 miku controller is like $500 now, ugh. I can nab a lightly used one for like $300 maybe on ebay or the like.

I considered the ps3 controller with a brook adapter but I think she'd likely detect the lag. She complains my OLED downstairs is laggier than my Panasonic plasma. The OLED is supposed to be 32ms and the Panny plasma ~15ms ish.
I took mine to MAGFest where it got played on for four days straight, and seemed to hold up fine aside from one of the touch segments not responding. I've not had time to investigate or even play since then, unfortunately.

The ZhouSensor controller, like the arcade, actually uses optical switches - a foam block stuck to the bottom of the button plunger blocks a photosensor positioned below the button. In theory, it shouldn't wear out until it gets to the point that you're literally breaking the plastic on the dome's plungers, which probably won't happen at all in a residential setting. There are a few things that can go wrong - like the foam block falling off the button or the photosensor being slightly out of alignment - but it's all relatively easy to fix.

As for the mini controller, those buttons use the same type of switch found in Hori's 30mm arcade buttons. You could buy replacement switches (this Sanwa part should fit, but I haven't personally tested it and it might wind up being too sensitive) and it would just be a matter of popping the button out, popping out the dome by squeezing the plungers, pushing out the microswitch from underneath, and dropping the replacement in.

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should open my PDX controller to swap around the button labels to the FT layout. I never look at it while playing of course but it would look neater, also other people could try it.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I took mine to MAGFest where it got played on for four days straight, and seemed to hold up fine aside from one of the touch segments not responding. I've not had time to investigate or even play since then, unfortunately.

The ZhouSensor controller, like the arcade, actually uses optical switches - a foam block stuck to the bottom of the button plunger blocks a photosensor positioned below the button. In theory, it shouldn't wear out until it gets to the point that you're literally breaking the plastic on the dome's plungers, which probably won't happen at all in a residential setting. There are a few things that can go wrong - like the foam block falling off the button or the photosensor being slightly out of alignment - but it's all relatively easy to fix.

As for the mini controller, those buttons use the same type of switch found in Hori's 30mm arcade buttons. You could buy replacement switches (this Sanwa part should fit, but I haven't personally tested it and it might wind up being too sensitive) and it would just be a matter of popping the button out, popping out the dome by squeezing the plungers, pushing out the microswitch from underneath, and dropping the replacement in.

Thanks. I don't have any real experience with joystick modding or the like. I'm still giving it some thought. I'm not sure the switches are the problem entirely - she says the controller stops responding sometimes also now.

She plays daily, pretty much, or almost daily, probably 2-5 times a week.

I might pick her up a new one and then take a crack at fixing the old one, that way I have plenty of time to tinker with it.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Thanks. I don't have any real experience with joystick modding or the like. I'm still giving it some thought. I'm not sure the switches are the problem entirely - she says the controller stops responding sometimes also now.

I might pick her up a new one and then take a crack at fixing the old one, that way I have plenty of time to tinker with it.

I'd invest in the Zhousensor at this point, the prices for the PDX controller are INSANE. I like mine and it's still in great shape but....wow. Not worth the up to $600 I'm seeing it sold for now.

I'm really close to getting one for myself, honestly. Almost pulled the trigger a few times, but I just have second thoughts not fully understanding the checkout process. I think he has some in stock now? I can't tell for sure.

Last edited:

Tenshi

Oct 25, 2017
After quite a bit of play testing, my ZhouSensor has also been holding up quite well. It's really well built right out of the box.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Saw one of the Diva X controllers hit ebay lightly used for $250 and grabbed it, gonna take a risk on it.

If nothing else that means I can let her have that one and when I get time, see if I can replace the switches in the old one.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'd invest in the Zhousensor at this point, the prices for the PDX controller are INSANE. I like mine and it's still in great shape but....wow. Not worth the up to $600 I'm seeing it sold for now.

I'm really close to getting one for myself, honestly. Almost pulled the trigger a few times, but I just have second thoughts not fully understanding the checkout process. I think he has some in stock now? I can't tell for sure.
He builds on demand, and you have to at least put in a deposit to put yourself in line.

One thing I didn't mention that apparently became a problem: he ships all controllers directly and internationally. The Taobao cargo service that you may be using to help facilitate your order can't actually reship the controller because it is too large. When ordering, you can specify that the seller will ship to you directly. I believe the item page itself has been updated to help clarify this now.

If it's just the switches, it's really not hard; hardest part is getting compatible replacement switches, and that's some minor trial and error. If it's the entire controller, the USB cord being frayed is the most likely culprit, and while not as easy a job it's still only four or so solder joints to try a new cable. If it's the controller PCB itself, then you are getting into some serious DIY repair territory, and there are pros and cons to replacing that with one of the many third party solutions out there for that.

In any case, I honestly would still say the ZhouSensor is the best option for the game right now, with the only hangup being if she plays titles other than Future Tone or is really, really attached to the Dualshock-like button layout (which honestly makes little sense for Future Tone - arcade layout is so much more intuitive and fun).

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
He builds on demand, and you have to at least put in a deposit to put yourself in line.

One thing I didn't mention that apparently became a problem: he ships all controllers directly and internationally. The Taobao cargo service that you may be using to help facilitate your order can't actually reship the controller because it is too large. When ordering, you can specify that the seller will ship to you directly. I believe the item page itself has been updated to help clarify this now.

If it's just the switches, it's really not hard; hardest part is getting compatible replacement switches, and that's some minor trial and error. If it's the entire controller, the USB cord being frayed is the most likely culprit, and while not as easy a job it's still only four or so solder joints to try a new cable. If it's the controller PCB itself, then you are getting into some serious DIY repair territory, and there are pros and cons to replacing that with one of the many third party solutions out there for that.

In any case, I honestly would still say the ZhouSensor is the best option for the game right now, with the only hangup being if she plays titles other than Future Tone or is really, really attached to the Dualshock-like button layout (which honestly makes little sense for Future Tone - arcade layout is so much more intuitive and fun).

Pretty sure it is switches - some buttons just aren't responding reliably any more. We had the usb cord repaired once already by a local repair place as the kids left it out and it got yanked out at one point.

I could use some switch experience anyway as I plan to do a 2 or 4 player arcade cabinet build of some sort in the next couple of years.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

lol, finally. I was told this was in development nearly two and a half years ago and long figured he decided not to bother going through with it.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, is this the place to talk about the software of Vocaloid? especially since V5 is so wildly different from the rest, I'm kinda thrown out of the loop

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Gamo2 solicited feedback via Twitter poll on how many fingers people use while activating the touch slider in Future Tone, so hopefully this means they're tweaking final software. I want this so badly!!!

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
The press release for the Snow Miku DLC talks about "additional DLC" who either they're gonna start milking it again or just drip feed us costumes.

Also GAMO2 PLZ MORE NEWS ABOUT THAT CONTROLLER I NEED IT

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I haven't found much new stuff that has impressed me lately, but today is an exception. I love the cheerful chiptunes at the start and it stays catchy the whole way. Give it a listen.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
acute heart failure at 31, it's horrible. Let's also remember samfree, PowaPowa-P,
OtsuP, OtomeP , western producer Avalia-Kasa, and the others who have passed away.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
World's End Dancehall was the first song I've played in Project Diva and more or less introduced me into Vocaloid music in general. Really saddened by this news. :(

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Would be nice if a medley was put together for the producers no longer with us for this years Magical Mirai.

Oh, and Unknown Mother Goose is fucking glorious - thank you wowaka.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if anyone else has been missing the PS3 project diva games lately, F and F 2nd run phenomenally in RPCS3. been playing at 4K/60 with almost no issues

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

GAMO2 (working partner with DJ DAO, a prolific creator of third party controllers for BEMANI series music games) has named their long-teased Project DIVA AC style controller. Some factoids from the Twitter thread:
  • Price and release date to be determined, but they intend to release in 2019. The only comment regarding price is "not cheap".
  • As with all GAMO2 products, they will ship worldwide.
  • They intend to send some stock to the US warehouse for less expensive delivery to US customers.
  • A headphone jack is included.
  • The controller is built to support both Future Tone on PS4 and PPD on PC.
  • For PlayStation 3 support, the main buttons will trigger both the button input and the corresponding cardinal direction (e.g. Triangle and Up, Circle and Right, etc.), allowing this controller to be used to play the DIVA F series natively.