• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Since we're 9 days out, any early info about the Switch game? Kinda hoping they went the awesome route of throwing all the English language stuff in there and it just works.
For now i guess there's no new info. It's been pretty quiet about the game. It still doesn't have a page on the upcoming releases on the japanese eshop.

While i would loved that the game would come out already with the english stuff there i guess it won't happen.
It could be possible if it would only be the ps4 game with new songs but since it has new stuff like the joycon mode and the create a tshirt design option i guess the english is still being added.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
For now i guess there's no new info. It's been pretty quiet about the game. It still doesn't have a page on the upcoming releases on the japanese eshop.

While i would loved that the game would come out already with the english stuff there i guess it won't happen.
It could be possible if it would only be the ps4 game with new songs but since it has new stuff like the joycon mode and the create a tshirt design option i guess the english is still being added.

I'm holding out hope, since it's definitely coming out here they might have just done with work at all once. I have my fingers crossed for good news!

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them having English in the Japanese release, because why even put the time and money in for releasing in the West, then? People would just import, and Western sales would be real low.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get my switch online right now and can not find a store listing for the game yet. Once it is up, it would say definitively if English is included or not.

I don't see them having English in the Japanese release, because why even put the time and money in for releasing in the West, then? People would just import, and Western sales would be real low.
This must not be a terrible concern because it happens all the time.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
SEGA has some weird tendencies on the eShop, like releasing demos exclusively on the JP store, and neglecting to have pre-release pages and pre-purchases up for their most-anticipated games. Maybe someday they'll get their act together. lol

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else excited about getting this, despite owning FT? I am, but I don't know why! Only a handful of new songs and a mix mode, which I'll probably try out once and that's it, yet I'm still really looking forward to it.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Anyone else excited about getting this, despite owning FT? I am, but I don't know why! Only a handful of new songs and a mix mode, which I'll probably try out once and that's it, yet I'm still really looking forward to it.
I am but mainly because from me my memories of Project diva was always having the games on a handheld and the ability to play one or more songs on the go, and now with the switch i'll be able to go back for that but still be able to play on the TV whenever i want.

Also i'm excited because i like the more anime graphics style. I think it looks better than the CGI look of the PS4 but that's a personal preference.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017

I'm super hype, I can't wait to be able to play on the couch with some headphones or on the go.

Gonna wait for impressions of the Japanese version before I commit, just in case.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What the fuck, come on. Those were all in the Arcade port! We've already seen this songs a million times they could at least get new ones :|

Oct 25, 2017

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I was under the impression that the Switch game was literally a port of the PS4 game with a couple new songs, new art style, and a joycon mode.
Is that not the case? Do we know what songs will not be in it (unless they are added as DLC)?

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Just a heads up that a demo of the game came up on the jp eshop to anyone that wants to try it.
It only has 2 songs.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a bit softer than 720p in Handheld and 1080p in docked.

Think I have found a new game to hate the pro controller dpad with, lol.

Need to try setting up my minicon with an adapter but that will have to wait for tonight. No amount of additional helpers on the screen will make this any fun to play for me at high levels without the arcade controller layout.

On a more positive note my docked Switch setup has seemingly none of the audio lag problems my PS4 has so that is a nice plus to not have to deal with :P

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Seems a bit softer than 720p in Handheld and 1080p in docked.

Think I have found a new game to hate the pro controller dpad with, lol.

Need to try setting up my minicon with an adapter but that will have to wait for tonight. No amount of additional helpers on the screen will make this any fun to play for me at high levels without the arcade controller layout.

On a more positive note my docked Switch setup has seemingly none of the audio lag problems my PS4 has so that is a nice plus to not have to deal with :P
How does it play with joycons?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How does it play with joycons?
I played a couple songs handheld with the Hori dpad joycon. I think this is a case where the separate buttons of the default joycon is probably better, but both suffer a bit because the dpad/buttons are below the stick on the left and above the stick on the right.

I'll still say though, that playing this game on anything other than four large buttons aligned in a row is a compromise. A compromise they try to provide workarounds for but ultimately still a compromise. Project Diva (not arcade) has always been much better suited to traditional console control schemes. Other people have a better time wrapping their minds around it than I do, though admittedly I haven't put much time into it.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Ugh, you know that Season Pass is gonna come here too, they won't include it in the standard US version because they want all the money, but they could do a deluxe edition here with the pass for a reduced price. :/

Now I need to figure out if I really want to play Miku on Switch now when I don't have anything to play until Animal Crossing drops, or if I can wait till later in the year and maybe get a deal but there will be more games to play.

Oh yeah, i need to see if I can find my adapter, it's somewhere in the house.....

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, i need to see if I can find my adapter, it's somewhere in the house.....
Can report that my minicon seems to work fine with my Magic-NS Mayflash adapter. All the button remapping settings are still there so I can map slides to the d-buttons and everything is groovy. Just need for amazon to ship my game now :P

I guess this being the case if the full size controller ever goes on sale again I could pick up the PS4 version with the right buttons free of doubt that it would work with switch too, so that is good at least.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo a few times. The switch button layout keeps throwing me off. It's really nice we can switch to the playstation layout easily.
Amazon just shipped my copy. Hopefully I will have it before the weekend!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, you know that Season Pass is gonna come here too, they won't include it in the standard US version because they want all the money, but they could do a deluxe edition here with the pass for a reduced price. :/
Traditionally the US gets a mirror of the JP DLC release pattern, but for a fraction of the JP asking price.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i might buy mega39s but since it seems to be prettymuch the same as future tone i might not because i am just

unable to read the charts anymore. I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH

when the multiple button press commands come on screen my brain basically crashes off of a cliff and i am completely unable to comprehend them, i'd need to like...study the extreme charts to commit it to memory instead of doing any sight reading

and i dunnooooo about that

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I haven't played a Project Diva game since whatever was on the Vita but I'm tempted to get the Switch version, even though I know it's not a great value.

I have a dumb question: if I buy it on a Japanese account can I still play it on my regular account/profile just to keep my 'hours played' all together?

Alternatively, how often do the Future Tone bundles or whatever go on sale on PSN?

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I have a dumb question: if I buy it on a Japanese account can I still play it on my regular account/profile just to keep my 'hours played' all together?

Yup, you can play it in your regular account.
You can already try that by fetching the demo on the eshop.
Also you can switch the button layout on the game to arrows or the PS controller symbols if your brain is still used to the Vita games.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't played a Project Diva game since whatever was on the Vita but I'm tempted to get the Switch version, even though I know it's not a great value.

Alternatively, how often do the Future Tone bundles or whatever go on sale on PSN?

Yup, you can just keep your JP account as a dummy that you never use, and play those games on your main account to keep everything together.

Also you can switch the button layout on the game to arrows or the PS controller symbols if your brain is still used to the Vita games.

Oh snap, that's really good to know since I might hook up my Minicon for playing on the TV if I get it.

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
Yup, you can just keep your JP account as a dummy that you never use, and play those games on your main account to keep everything together

Hey, thanks. I actually did download the demo but it didn't let me choose a profile when I started it like other games did and didn't show up as played on either account so I didn't know how that worked.

I had to change to the PlayStation buttons because my brain was overloaded trying to remember the Nintendo layout 🤪

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Hey, thanks. I actually did download the demo but it didn't let me choose a profile when I started it like other games did and didn't show up as played on either account so I didn't know how that worked.

I had to change to the PlayStation buttons because my brain was overloaded trying to remember the Nintendo layout 🤪
My brain also had trouble with the nintendo layout and i had to change it also.
Yup, you're right, i forgot that the demo doesn't ask for a profile but other demos on the jp eshop do use it.

But like i said you can easily use the game on other accounts.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I had to change to the PlayStation buttons because my brain was overloaded trying to remember the Nintendo layout
Yeah the blue 'X's were pretty killer, couldn't do it.
when the multiple button press commands come on screen my brain basically crashes off of a cliff and i am completely unable to comprehend them, i'd need to like...study the extreme charts to commit it to memory instead of doing any sight reading
I'm not sure if the small controller indicator that shows up when multi-presses appear is new to this version or not, but it doesn't help much. They need an alternative note chart altogether to fix it.

Luka

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, don't plan on using the pro controller... it puts out a lot of wrong inputs from the dpad. Like if your finger is even just a millimeter off it will read multiple inputs and break your combo.

The joycons work but the shape of them make it awkward trying to hit multis and the trigger at the same time to get a hold. Maybe rebinding could improve this but I'm lazy and don't want to relearn anything.

Not to mention the asymmetric nature of Nintendo's controller layout doesn't really lend itself to these games very well... I might actually end up passing on this one :(

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been playing these games on assymmetric controls for years, owing to Hori's best wired controllers for PS4 being that style. (I still do rhythm games at conventions and use wired controllers so they won't walk away.)

Playing a few songs in handheld mode in bed and this sure is Project DIVA. Though, I still think arcade style charts beyond Hard don't really work with anything other than an arcade controller.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people mentioning using an adapter with a PS4 controller on the Switch to play mega 39's. Which adapter would work and has anybody had any experience using one?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playing a few songs in handheld mode in bed and this sure is Project DIVA. Though, I still think arcade style charts beyond Hard don't really work with anything other than an arcade controller.
It sucks but I can't help but think the effort they put forward making the Mix mode charts here would have been better spent making charts more appropriate and closer to classic Project Diva. Arcade controllers just aren't as accessible enough to people to make the main mode of your game take advantage of them so much.
I've seen people mentioning using an adapter with a PS4 controller on the Switch to play mega 39's. Which adapter would work and has anybody had any experience using one?
This is the one I use:

Amazon.com: MAYFLASH MAGIC-NS Wireless Bluetooth Controller Adapter for Nintendo Switch, PC Windows, NEOGEO mini, PS Classic. Supports Wired USB controllers with a OTG cable. Supports Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: MAYFLASH MAGIC-NS Wireless Bluetooth Controller Adapter for Nintendo Switch, PC Windows, NEOGEO mini, PS Classic. Supports Wired USB controllers with a OTG cable. Supports Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2: Computers & Accessories

I bought originally for arcade sticks but should work for any ps4 controller. No idea if it is better or worse than other options (think brook makes one) but it was cheap enough at the time I figured it was worth a shot.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

I have good experience with the Brook PS4->Xbox One converter (use it for my joystick for fighting games once in a while). I ordered the PS4->Switch one today to test with my daughter's PS4 minicon, I'll let you know what she thinks about it. My oldest plays on extra extreme or whatever most of the time on the PS4 version, and she complains that my OLED is laggier than my old Panny Plasma, so she'll notice whatever amount of lag is there, I think.

It sucks but I can't help but think the effort they put forward making the Mix mode charts here would have been better spent making charts more appropriate and closer to classic Project Diva. Arcade controllers just aren't as accessible enough to people to make the main mode of your game take advantage of them so much.

This is the one I use:

I bought originally for arcade sticks but should work for any ps4 controller. No idea if it is better or worse than other options (think brook makes one) but it was cheap enough at the time I figured it was worth a shot.

I seem to recall based on some of my research, the Brook converts are the least laggy converter, except for oldschool consoles (raphnet is the way to go for those). Based on my good experience with my Brook PS4->Xbox one I went with that for the extra $12.

I've got a few Mayflash adapters myself though (mainly for oldschool consoles -> PC) and I've always been happy with them.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one I use:

I have good experience with the Brook PS4->Xbox One converter (use it for my joystick for fighting games once in a while). I ordered the PS4->Switch one today to test with my daughter's PS4 minicon, I'll let you know what she thinks about it. My oldest plays on extra extreme or whatever most of the time on the PS4 version, and she complains that my OLED is laggier than my old Panny Plasma, so she'll notice whatever amount of lag is there, I think.

Thanks! Definitely interested in hooking up a PS4 controller to try some of the hard and extreme stages.
Been playing Mega 39's on the my switch lite and it's pretty responsive. Haven't even attempted the pro controller (probably won't lol!)
I never played future tone, so I can see now what everyone is talking about regarding the arcade charts. These new charts don't feel as fun as the project diva charts, and I'm having more difficulty with the harder modes. Would be a really cool option, if they let us alternate between the two.
Oh well, guess I just need to keep practicing!

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
I've only played the 3DS game before but my memory is the different buttons have different sounds and the demo for 39s is all the exact same sound effect. Is my memory wrong or is there some way to change it? I already lowered the volume on them since they were crazy loud.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Pulled it off the dock and played the demo handheld.....yeah, ok, it got me. I can play FT with my Minicon any time, but I can't play that mobile.

Bought a code from Amazon JP and it's downloading now,, with the discount there and the YEN to USD conversion it was only $53.

Thanks! Definitely interested in hooking up a PS4 controller to try some of the hard and extreme stages.
Been playing Mega 39's on the my switch lite and it's pretty responsive. Haven't even attempted the pro controller (probably won't lol!)
I never played future tone, so I can see now what everyone is talking about regarding the arcade charts. These new charts don't feel as fun as the project diva charts, and I'm having more difficulty with the harder modes. Would be a really cool option, if they let us alternate between the two.
Oh well, guess I just need to keep practicing!

The really bad thing about any arcade(ish) controller for Diva games are that they sell out almost instantly, and then are HEAVILY inflated when they reach the open market. The DIVA X minicon I have goes for $300+ when it's up for sale, which is insane.

HORI made that dope near full size FT/39's style keyboard and then only made 1000 of them for Japan. Gamo2 has been out of DIVALLERs for months and with the Coronavirus no one knows when they might even have more, and then THOSE are close to $500 to import.

Which makes it even more insane that SEGA sticks with these arcade charts when such a tiny fraction of the players will ever play with a arcade setup.

Last edited:

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
The really bad thing about any arcade(ish) controller for Diva games are that they sell out almost instantly, and then are HEAVILY inflated when they reach the open market. The DIVA X minicon I have goes for $300+ when it's up for sale, which is insane.

HORI made that dope near full size FT/39's style keyboard and then only made 1000 of them for Japan. Gamo2 has been out of DIVALLERs for months and with the Coronavirus no one knows when they might even have more, and then THOSE are close to $500 to import.

Which makes it even more insane that SEGA sticks with these arcade charts when such a tiny fraction of the players will ever play with a arcade setup.
Exactly, that's another great point. I've never looked into purchasing an arcade controller because of the price and also the bulk of it. I personally prefer handheld more, so it does seem strange that these two previous titles rely so heavily on charts that cater to the arcade style.
Maybe with the next project diva title, they might revert back to more traditional charts.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When I activated my code on the eShop website it said something about a bonus DLC being free for early purchasers, but I don't see it. Anyone know what's up with that?
Not sure for digital purchases but my physical copy came with an insert that had a code for the theme song DLC, which included kocchi muite baby, sekiranun graffiti, etc.