• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Here's a video of the PS symbols in action in MegaMix (thanks Echo!):

###

A potential megaton for veteran fans. this was spotted by P.Scoop in the other thread, where a user on twitter tweeted an image that was shown at the Magical Mirai event where the game was shown back on Aug 31st:

EDRZAgsWwAAfsS0

As far as I'm aware, this may be the first ever usage of the PS symbols in a non-PS Miku console game. I think the symbols were also used in the arcade game (which MegaMix is more or less the newest version of) on the controller. But yeah, this is fucking surreal. I guess we truly have our Vita 2 everyone! :P

Edit: And yeah, the text apparently appropriately translates as "Arcade" for the PS buttons. So yeah.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't those copyrighted by Sony? I mean I know they are just shapes but those SPECIFIC shape together have to have some sort of copyright on them no?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't those copyrighted by Sony? I mean I know they are just shapes but those SPECIFIC shape together have to have some sort of copyright on them no?

That's what I thought, but my guesses are:

- Sony only have copyright in terms of hardware usage? Basically Nintendo can't make a Switch Lite with those symbols for buttons.
- Sega got permission? If they are used in the arcade version, then that might be a loophole?

I mean considering that PoPoLoCrois got a 3DS (exclusive!) game that even mentioned Sony Computer Entertainment in the copyright, anything's possible.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're listed as "Arcade", which is true, since Future Tone arcade isn't being played on a PS console. Really skirting it though.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if the fact they aren't PlayStation colors had any beating on them being able to use them?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the fact they aren't PlayStation colors had any beating on them being able to use them?

Are they not the exact colors?

71I%2BsRNwpVL.jpg

Well the Miku ones are much more saturated, but they do seem to be based on the same matching colors.

Edit: Actually Cross and Triangle's colors are swapped. Nevermind.

Last edited:

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
THANK YOU. The PlayStation buttons are just much easier for me to recognize reflexively and pretty much makes this a must buy for me (I absolutely adored the Project Diva games on the Vita, RIP you sweet little machine with the absolute best dpad).

Jun 23, 2019
Sega had to get permission. There's no way they can put the PS symbols in a non-PS game and expect it to be ok. With that being said, I was totally going to turn the arrows on just like Indod in Project Mirai DX, but getting the actual buttons for this? Hell yeah. So for clarification sake, this is basically a port of Future Tone for Switch right?

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Sega had to get permission. There's no way they can put the PS symbols in a non-PS game and expect it to be ok. With that being said, I was totally going to turn the arrows on just like Indod in Project Mirai DX, but getting the actual buttons for this? Hell yeah. So for clarification sake, this is basically a port of Future Tone for Switch right?
it's built off future tone but it has less songs, a new mode, a cel shaded artstyle, and various other changes

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much PS4 Future Tone minus 130 songs, plus 10 unique songs.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I saw a video on youtube where the devs used PS symbols to demo Alien Alien so yeah I thought we knew this. Definitely going for symbols instead of letters

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Project Diva muscle memory still valid, sweet.
Nintendos button placement regularly throws me off in way more chill games so this is great news.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, I'd be reduced to a bumbling beginner that has to keep looking back at the controller if I were made to use A B X Y instead.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
didnt know this was a thing people wanted
abxy is already ingrained in my mind
but neither that nor the playstation version has a natural mapping anyways
ill probably just go with arrows in the end

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I've had this in half a dozen PC games where the icons would automatically change from Xbox to PS when I used my DS4. This is not that special at all, I actually think all multiplat games should have this.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've had this in half a dozen PC games where the icons would automatically change from Xbox to PS when I used my DS4. This is not that special at all, I actually think all multiplat games should have this.

Well that's because it's a PC game, there are no strict guidelines (if any) to release PC games.

There's very obvious reasons why competitor console button prompts have never appeared on another console version of a game before, at least not intentionally.

I honestly don't know how they've gotten away with this. 🤔

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Well that's because it's a PC game, there are no strict guidelines (if any) to release PC games.

There's very obvious reasons why competitor console button prompts have never appeared on another console version of a game before, at least not intentionally.

I honestly don't know how they've gotten away with this. 🤔
They're calling them arcade buttons instead of PS buttons. Must be how.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Besides the circle for obvious reasons, the Miku symbols have round edges while the PS controller symbols have sharper edges. They've always used the symbols on the arcade releases though so not sure why people are surprised.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
didnt know this was a thing people wanted
abxy is already ingrained in my mind
but neither that nor the playstation version has a natural mapping anyways
ill probably just go with arrows in the end

I remember people saying that they were so familiar with the PS buttons that adjusting to Nintendo's buttons was always a big challenge. This move is sheer genius as it solves that, and provides all the options.

Jun 23, 2019
I remember people saying that they were so familiar with the PS buttons that adjusting to Nintendo's buttons was always a big challenge. This move is sheer genius as it solves that, and provides all the options.
Yeah, I didn't feel like trying to relearn the Nintendo prompts for Project Mirai so I turned on arrows. PS prompts make it easier to play. Will someone be making an OT for the game?

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
Nice little addition. That will help the Hatsune Miku players not get confused with the Nintendo button layout. I know I am since Parappa The Rapper made me taught me the PSX buttons, I am still looking the nintendo controllers for the button layout while playing

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Now just need a setting that moves the left stick below the direction buttons.