• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Saw a video of some random indie game and it gave me nostalgia for sim city 4 and my simcity.

I own a Switch and PC. The PC would be considered low end (i5-4570 + GTX 1650) the Switch is a Switch. I also have a Wii that's basically exclusively used to rip games so I guess emulating Wii games is an option as well. What are my options and of those options which are good?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Cities is the standard bearer. but i'm not super huge on the genre these days

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Cities Skylines sounds like what you are looking for, but I think Animal Crossing is surprising lot of people with how it scratches that "build a place" itch.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cities Skylines is the purest, though Tropico and Frostpunk might be worth a look.

Your PC would probably struggle with Anno 1800 but some of the earlier ones (like Anno 1404, or Dawn of Discovery as it's called in North America) are still pretty good.

Oct 31, 2017
If you want something more goal driven, the old Caesar/Pharaoh/Emperor games are fantastic, and because of the lovely handrawn graphics still look excellent to this day. I'm replaying Cleopatra right now!

1567248768_pharaon-plus-cleopatra.jpg

They are all on Gog and Steam, and can be made to run modern widescreen resolutions with some very minor modding.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked Tropico 1 specifically. Being almost 20 years old it should run on anything.

Here is the OST to encourage you:

Last edited:

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Anno 1800 is great, Tropico 6 is great, but Cities Skylines has definitely taken the torch from Sim City, so that's probably your best bet. It's also $5.99 right now on Steam, down from $30, so that helps too.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Skylines is your best bet. The mod scene is out of this world so you might want to stick with PC. Plus the performance on Switch is kinda lacking.

store.steampowered.com

TheoTown on Steam

Build and manage your dream city in this captivating simulation game. Create unique urban landscapes and enjoy compatibility with the mobile versions. Unleash your creativity and shape the metropolis of your dreams.

TheoTown is a great retro option.

store.steampowered.com

Builders of Egypt: Prologue on Steam

Builders of Egypt: Prologue is a city-building economic strategy taking place in the Nile Valley. Immerse yourself in a world full of pyramids, where you will become a part of the ancient world. Create history, be history!

Builders of Egypt is an interesting setting and has a free prologue demo out.

store.steampowered.com

Dawn of Man on Steam

Command a settlement of ancient humans, guide them through the ages in their struggle for survival. Hunt, gather, craft tools, fight, research new techs and face the challenges the environment will throw at you.

Speaking of which people seem to love Dawn of Man.

store.steampowered.com

Surviving Mars on Steam

There will be challenges to overcome. Execute your strategy and improve your colony’s chances of survival while unlocking the mysteries of this alien world. Are you ready? Mars is waiting for you.

And finally going in the complete opposite direction Surviving Mars is an awesome space-age city builder.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
If you want something more goal driven, the old Caesar/Pharaoh/Emperor games are fantastic, and because of the lovely handrawn graphics still look excellent to this day. I'm replaying Cleopatra right now!

They are all on Gog and Steam, and can be made to run modern widescreen resolutions with some very minor modding.

Came here to suggest Pharoah. It's campaign is HARD but it's a damn good game.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Cities Skylines but only the PC version. The Switch version is a terrible port.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cities Skylines but only the PC version. The Switch version is a terrible port.
I play Cities on the PC with 32GB of RAM, an i7 8700k and a GTX 1080 and my current city runs around 30-40 fps. I can't imagine a Switch version would run well no matter what magic the devs used on it.

Cities: Skylines on PC gets my vote. It's a great game and has lots of DLC to add depth to game if you choose.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A carbon copy of Sim City Rush Hour (currently 5$ on Steam) heavily moddable (also for iOS/Android)

TheoTown

TheoTown is a city building game for multiple platforms.
store.steampowered.com

TheoTown on Steam

Build and manage your dream city in this captivating simulation game. Create unique urban landscapes and enjoy compatibility with the mobile versions. Unleash your creativity and shape the metropolis of your dreams.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017

Pharaoh has been kicking my ass since childhood, are the others in the series also as difficult?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
cities skylines is good for creativity and especially with mods you can create very detailed cities

it just lacks very good simulation like with finances, policies, etc. i mean it's there but it's not really that in depth for strategy/challenge

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Cities Skylines is the best all around option-- PC specifically as the mod scene is what keeps that game compelling and fixes a lot of problems with the simulation itself.

I'm cresting the 200 hour mark with it as we speak. I enjoy building functional, realistic cities and the game continually scratches that itch for me.

Sim City 4 is also still very viable if you do the leg work to get it running on modern PCs. The mod scene for that game is among the most extensive mod scenes I've ever seen and it's still lively to an extent at places like Simtropolis (https://community.simtropolis.com/).

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not what the OP is looking for but Stronghold is a really awesome castle town builder, you can even choose to play the campaign with focus on economy or fighting.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

oh god the memories I played Pharao so much

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Skylines PC is the obvious choice if you want an evolution of SimCity, but there are some other ones worth checking out.

The Tropico series is one I've always liked, smaller scale but consistently fun and full of character. I haven't played the more recent ones but the last ones I played (3 and 4) had pretty low requirements.

The Anno series is also fun, the most recent one I played was 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) and as a previous poster mentioned, should run OK on a lower end PC.

Oct 27, 2017

Been meaning to grab Pharaoh for a while but held off because I've been struggling to find any definitive answers on how well (or if at all) it runs at 21:9. How minor is the modding if you don't mind me asking?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had the itch too OP and I didnt even realize I owned cities skylines already from some humble bundle ages ago so... lucky me I guess?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 65% on Citystate on Steam

Create a 21st century micro-nation and experiment with economic and political ideals. Futuristic skyscrapers or spreading slums, the Nation relies on your economic and city planning skills.

I've always been interested in this one because of the gameplay is focused more on your city's politics and economy.

Oct 31, 2017
Been meaning to grab Pharaoh for a while but held off because I've been struggling to find any definitive answers on how well (or if at all) it runs at 21:9. How minor is the modding if you don't mind me asking?

You download a single file from PCGamingWiki and place it in your install directory. Run it, give the resolution you want when prompted and it will fix the games exe to run in that resolution. Works on the other classic Impressions citybuilders as well, although alt tabbing can be dodgy - It normally works, but save before you tab out just in case.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
Imperivm Civitas is my go-to for historic city builders.
And yes, I dare to say it is better than Pharaoh.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
GOG has a sale right now, with some games like Sim City 4, 2000, Pharaoh, Cleopatra and many other city builders.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019

I love these games. This is a great recommendation.

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever liked the transport/electricity/plumbing element of building the utilities and infrastructure for a city, Factorio is currently the king and it isn't even close. It's not really a city sim, but it is by far the most complete extrapolation of the large-scale systems management that Maxis was going for across their whole portfoilo in their prime.

I can vouch for SimCity 4 as something that feels current year on year, and which was updated for compatibility with modern displays/platforms not long ago. Most players who have stuck around this long consider the Network Addon Mod essential, but I'd get into it in its official state first, up to the point that you find the weirdness/brokenness of the original transport simulation exasperating to deal with. NAM adds a significant suite of options for roads and rails (and therefore the overall aesthetics of your city) while cleaning up the simulation side, but installing it right away is like diving into the deep, deep end. Best to ease oneself into it gradually.

Oct 27, 2017
You download a single file from PCGamingWiki and place it in your install directory. Run it, give the resolution you want when prompted and it will fix the games exe to run in that resolution. Works on the other classic Impressions citybuilders as well, although alt tabbing can be dodgy - It normally works, but save before you tab out just in case.

Brilliant, thank you.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Cities Skyline is the easy winner. Your PC can easily handled it. Sometimes, SimCity is on sale but don't even bother, unless you are totally clueless of the genre.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If you don't want modern cities check Dawn of Man for the prehistoric era and Banished for late medieval era.
Oh yes Anno too, 1404&1800 >>> 2070 for me though

Last edited: